What are you playing?

Time to invest in a Terraonion MEGA SD by the sounds of it. ;)

Seriously though, nothing worse than a CD Drive starting to die. I should know, my Saturn drive died, my Dreamcast drive died, my PlayStation One drive died. Thank god for the modding community.

Reading all of your disc drive failures in a span of 6 months (it seemed) was sad to read :(. I am glad you got the modded stuff though! :D

So, despite my symptoms being the same as everyone on the internet (the laser error), I attempted 4 times and each time, FF froze earlier and earlier and earlier (going into the Subway, then fighting Damnd, then the very beginning of Slums, then the OPTIONS SCREEN) and now my Sega CD won't get past the boot-up screen, without freezing :(. So I think that the laser has truly given up the ghost. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Luckily, there's a guy who has one that works beautifully, only about a half-hour drive from me, for $150.00 Canadian.

I may need to get a save cart though, to see if I can transfer my saves from one to the other, IF my console can stay on long-enough, without freezing :(.

If I had the tools and even a bit of know-how, I'd probably fix it myself, but I can always try to sell my current guy for parts...

Reading all of your disc drive failures in a span of 6 months (it seemed) was sad to read :(.
My Dreamcast died three times. Thankfully I had a warranty for it. The second time it died and I got it replaced, the woman from Babbage's (I think, what was another popular video game store back in the day... starts with an "E" I think...) was eying me like I was trying to do something fishy. The third time it died I was out of warranty, but discovered a fix on YouTube several years later. I can not remember the problem now, but a little disassembly and reassembly fixed it and I have not had a single problem since.

Yeah, I'm on my third Dreamcast (my first, the GD-Rom just dies so if I found a replacement, could just insert it).

The first one was a 7 year-old launch one that barely saw any run (my next-door neighbour's) and it lasted for 5 years, until the above happened. My second one was a sealed one from 2000, it lasted until 2016, when there were (again) issues with the GD-Rom. Tried to fix it and blew it up lol. My third one now is a second-hand one I got in Calgary; horribly-yellowed but it still runs great! It's coming up to the 5 year mark though (4 years now), so I don't know how much longer I can go with it...

Yeah, I'm on my third Dreamcast (my first, the GD-Rom just dies so if I found a replacement, could just insert it).

The first one was a 7 year-old launch one that barely saw any run (my next-door neighbour's) and it lasted for 5 years, until the above happened. My second one was a sealed one from 2000, it lasted until 2016, when there were (again) issues with the GD-Rom. Tried to fix it and blew it up lol. My third one now is a second-hand one I got in Calgary; horribly-yellowed but it still runs great! It's coming up to the 5 year mark though (4 years now), so I don't know how much longer I can go with it...
My current DC is also my third one. It was a completely "new"/unopened one, bought in 2010 off Amazon for $90 iirc. I don't even want to think of how much that'd cost nowadays... Still running like an absolute champ somehow.

Reading all of your disc drive failures in a span of 6 months (it seemed) was sad to read :(. I am glad you got the modded stuff though! :D
Honestly, after getting the GD EMU for Dreamcast, part of me can't really go back to CD drives anymore. Those load times off the SD card are just wonderful. Makes playing Shenmue 1 and 2 on DC all that much better not having to deal with as long load times going in and out of buildings as before.

Looking forward to getting my MODE sometime soon for the Saturn and getting that SSD drive installed. I actually went a bit nuts. I realized all my Saturn ISO's are either NTSC-U or NTSC-J...which won't play as well with my PAL Saturn. They did play with the Psuedo Cart I had but you could still tell they were running at 50hz as opposed to 60hz and you could tell with something like VF2 and that bit of slowdown it had playing the 60hz Japanese version through the PAL Saturn. So I went on to Ebay and went further shopping.

Grabbed a White Japanese SEGA Saturn for about 100$ from Japan. Then realized I have to change Power Supply in it to make it compatible with 240V, so I also nabbed a RESaturn Universal PSU to install in it from Ebay. So I'm gonna be playing Dr. Mod once I get all that shit. :D I'll have a tricked out Japanese Saturn with new PSU and 1TB SSD equipped ODE.

The eventual plan is to start streaming Saturn games over on my Twitch channel. So should be fun to mod.

Last edited:
Just got the remake of Final Fantasy 7 gifted to me. So this will be my first embargo in the series. We'll see how it goes.

The original Yakuza on PS2, finally. Only my second time after planning to re-play since before Yakuza 5 came out on PS3, which point the series picked up steam and began releasing a lot quicker than I kept up with. Each new localization I kept putting off replaying all the series from the first game. Now having beaten 6 earlier in the year, I'm all set and already on chapter 7 of Yakuza 1.

Didn't intend to play Judgement before, but was an impulse digital sale, plus a nice break from Dojima plotline before beginning a fresh saga re-play. Going to play back to back with Yakuza 2, then Yakuza 0. After I'm done with Zero, I'll play Yakuza 4 on PS3 then repeats of Judgement and Zero before both Kiwami and 3-5 remasters.

Don't really mind the dubbing. Some funny stuff like Shenmue 2x, but still good where counts with cutscene characters.

BTW the Pound cables are really nice for only $30. Hell,I'd shell $40 or $50 for them. If a console like Saturn or PS2 doesn't have as much progressive scan support like Dreamcast or XBOX, the box has USB power to assist with the upscaling. With proper care with adjusting TV sharp/resolution/display area and aspect ratio--doesn't look too bad seated normal distance. Might invest in an Mclassic soon or later. Reinvigorating my PS2 collection collecting dust since my launch PS3 died over 3 years ago. Need to get my copy of Shadow of Destiny resurfaced. Although... been brainstorming a budget for buying my own pro disc surfacing machine...

Last edited:
Napple Tale seems like it would be really fucking cool if I knew what was going on. Sad. I bet this would've been a highly revered game in the west if it got localized for DC back in the day.

Honestly, after getting the GD EMU for Dreamcast, part of me can't really go back to CD drives anymore. Those load times off the SD card are just wonderful. Makes playing Shenmue 1 and 2 on DC all that much better not having to deal with as long load times going in and out of buildings as before.

But how do you take your quick eating, drinking and bathroom breaks without the load times? 🤔

Napple Tale seems like it would be really fucking cool if I knew what was going on. Sad. I bet this would've been a highly revered game in the west if it got localized for DC back in the day.
I absolute love this game. It’s one of my favorites on the Dreamcast. The gist, from what I recall, is that the main character, Pocchi, is led through the afterlife by a fairy, Stray Nap, and visits each of the seasonal areas of the town in order to restore the residents’ lives in the world (I think in part by collecting little familiars called Puffetes). Eventually she has to extricate the antagonist, Pierrot. (I’m kind of trying to avoid spoilers.)

I’m not someone who really cries at all, but the Fall story got me. It’s brilliant.

The platforming isn’t exceptional, but the stages are really a lot of fun.

I absolute love this game. It’s one of my favorites on the Dreamcast. The gist, from what I recall, is that the main character, Pocchi, is led through the afterlife by a fairy, Stray Nap, and visits each of the seasonal areas of the town in order to restore the residents’ lives in the world (I think in part by collecting little familiars called Puffetes). Eventually she has to extricate the antagonist, Pierrot. (I’m kind of trying to avoid spoilers.)

I’m not someone who really cries at all, but the Fall story got me. It’s brilliant.

The platforming isn’t exceptional, but the stages are really a lot of fun.
I got it factory-sealed in Osaka when I was in Japan, in 2016 (for 5900 Yen, IIRC); still haven't played it yet (Rydeen and I briefly spoke about it earlier this year).

I'm powering through my backlog of Genesis games, while I wait on getting a new Sega CD (If I complete Ecco, I will have completed my backlog for the Sega CD, 100%, so I'm chomping at the bit), so I'll fire up my DC, hopefully by the end of the year.

At that point, I think I will finally open up Napple Tale and then give it a shot!

A little different on the topic... this is what I wish I was playing! ^^! I had it once, but sold it. Hard to find a copy in stores these days, especially reasonably priced. Just watching this gets me so pumped up still though! ^^! Even if you did not like the gameplay, the trailer for it hits all the right notes. Gameplay, anime clips and music that fits perfectly what is being shown for the game.

I finished my second run of Red Dead Redemption 2 on PS4. I think my second time was better just because I understood the mechanics more, and I had a more solid grasp on the characters and story. The gameplay can be downright frustrating at times, especially considering that I picked it up again right after finishing Ghost of Tsushima (and it’s smooth-ass controls). But the world and storytelling absolutely make up for its shortcomings. This is one of those games that lingers with me.

I finished my second run Yakuza 6 a few days ago as well. I really should played this one straight through instead of taking a break from it for about a month. I never hated the game the first time I played it, but I also didn’t love it either. I’m happy to say that my impressions have changed for the better my second time through. It’s one of my favorites of the series now, despite some small issues I have with it here and there.

I finished my second run of Red Dead Redemption 2 on PS4. I think my second time was better just because I understood the mechanics more, and I had a more solid grasp on the characters and story. The gameplay can be downright frustrating at times, especially considering that I picked it up again right after finishing Ghost of Tsushima (and it’s smooth-ass controls). But the world and storytelling absolutely make up for its shortcomings. This is one of those games that lingers with me.

I finished my second run Yakuza 6 a few days ago as well. I really should played this one straight through instead of taking a break from it for about a month. I never hated the game the first time I played it, but I also didn’t love it either. I’m happy to say that my impressions have changed for the better my second time through. It’s one of my favorites of the series now, despite some small issues I have with it here and there.
Mr Leroy have you tried the Call of Juarz series? Fun fact- the Preacher is voiced by Star Trek TNG and DS9 fame- Marc Alaimo (Gul Dukat)

Original game

Bound in Blood

Gunslinger

There was one more called Cartel, but I never played it so I wont post it here.

Or Gun which is a totally different series?

And finally Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath. Not a puzzler game like the Abe games, but it did take some thinking on the move and using the right "live" ammo on your enemies, as they were more affected by some than others in more ways than was the norm for an FPS. And when you get the speed "upgrade", the game sizzled, even on the original XBOX.

I am doing my second complete rerun of Shenmue 3. Currently at Bailu at the task where I gotta get the 50-year old lao jiu for Sun. But I am also playing Yakuza 3 HD Remaster for PS4, where I made it very far after a several month hiatus. Did a few substories as well. Unfortunately, due to the ongoing pandemic, I am putting several games, such as RDR2, Ghost of Tsushima, Cyberpunk 2077, Bugsnax, among others on my wishlist, or if possible I might be able to get them off the PS store. Oh, and let's not forget the HD versions of Shenmue 1 and 2, gotta familiarize myself with the story.

Mr Leroy have you tried the Call of Juarz series? Fun fact- the Preacher is voiced by Star Trek TNG and DS9 fame- Marc Alaimo (Gul Dukat)

Original game

Bound in Blood

Gunslinger

There was one more called Cartel, but I never played it so I wont post it here.

Or Gun which is a totally different series?

And finally Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath. Not a puzzler game like the Abe games, but it did take some thinking on the move and using the right "live" ammo on your enemies, as they were more affected by some than others in more ways than was the norm for an FPS. And when you get the speed "upgrade", the game sizzled, even on the original XBOX.

It’s interesting that you posted these games because I actually have very little interest in the western genre, yet the RDR games are some of my favorites. I think it’s the themes from westerns that really get me the most, but I usually find the settings boring. But that’s just my general disinterest in period media anyway. Thanks a lot for the recommendations though.

Was streaming that new Dark Pictures: Little Hope game over on Twitch. Hopefully my mic sounds okay? Been fucking around with sound levels for the last three or four days. So hopefully it sounds okay. Will try and finish it tomorrow.

EDIT: FUCK, it was picking up web cam audio and causing static :mad:

I have this stupid web cam mic disabled in device manager and yet it still picks up audio for some reason

Last edited:
Dark Pictures: Little Hope -- I understood what it was trying to do. I understood it come the end. But still, I thought the ending shit the bed rendering it as the 2nd most pointless game I've played this year (right behind TLOU2).

Also, for one of these Choose Your Own Adventure games, I thought this one was incredibly too passive for its own good. I know these games are always focused around story telling rather than gameplay, but even games like Detroit or Heavy Rain still manage to give you a decent amount of "control"...there were large portions of this game where I was holding the controller waiting to regain control after lengthy cut scenes. It's a real shame. I know, I know, these games are all about story, but I feel other games get the balance a lot better.

Also, the game is so brain dead easy in its gameplay. I miss QTE's that actually challenge your reflexes. This game literally gives you heads up before flashing the QTE. It less QTE and more TYSATE (Take Your Sweet Ass Time Event)

I really liked Supermassive's Until Dawn and I was hoping for another game like that. There are elements of it that were good. I really liked all the witch trial stuff and I thought the three timelines interacting with each other had potential. But the ending shits the bed so badly. I understood what they were doing with it, but I thought it rendered everything you did in this game as being completely and utterly pointless with any real thought.

It's a shame. They were building an intriguing story but they had to go and M. Night Shamalongadingdong it.

Oh well, only 7 days (Australian time) until Yakuza 7. Yakuza 7, please save me from this mediocrity!

Last edited:
Back