What are you playing?

Finally got my Sega CD RAM Cart, so was able to move all of my data to the new Sega CD; it sounds faster and such than my old one (the laser, I mean), thus I don't know if my laser was just outright dying or if this one has been fixed/refurbished.

Regardless, attempted again at the 1CC of FF CD on Mania, twice and both times I lost 3-5 lives in the span of a level and in uncharacteristic fashion as well; I've beaten this game 216 times and I know all of the timings, locations of enemies, enemy nuances, etc., etc., etc.

*rant begin*

A typical playthrough for me, in terms of lost lives, goes like this:

Slums: 0
Subway: 1-2 (Sodom is still the hardest boss in the game after Belger, by far, even if there is a system to beat him)
West Side: 0-1
Industrial Area: 1 (Rolento never gives me trouble and I haven't lost a life to him in literally 150+ playthroughs of beating the game... until see below)
Bay Area: 1-2 (Generally 1)
Uptown: 2+

The first run, I lost 3 lives on the third level... and I generally go through there losing none (the odd time I lose a life in that level, it is around the cage match, if one of the Andore family somehow grab a hold of me). Went up to the Knife Boys' section in Bay Area (IMO, the single-hardest portion of the game, after certain boss fights), only losing 1 more additional life from Industrial Area and I was in the zone. Then it all fell apart from there and I didn't even reach the elevator in Uptown. Pissed off.

The second run, I made it to Industrial Area... LOSING 0 LIVES IN THE FIRST 3 LEVELS. I was so in the zone and kicking total ass, easily the best start to the game I have absolutely ever had. The beginning of IA has you needing to make it through a gauntlet of fire floor... well for some reason, I was a frame or two off of where I should've been, either due to bad timing or controller issues (my trusty 6-button is starting to fail a bit, but it is still more responsive than my other 3-button controllers that I haven't used for years are) and I lost 3 lives through the first portion of the level. Completely pissed-off.

Then I make it to Rolento... again, I handle him with ease frequently and I'm facing him with a full health bar too, like I do every time. He wall kicks... *3* times in succession and anyone who has played a lot of the game, knows that the wall-kick is Rolento's LEAST-used attack and he only does it when he isn't in super-speed mode. So there we are, 4 lives lost in IA, completely ruined my run.

I almost made it through the Knife Boys' section without losing a life, but then by some ******-up way, I lost *2* lives, after having not lost a life in the entire Bay Area to that point. My usual-handling of Abigail also went off the rails and I lost a life against him as well. 3 lives lost in Bay Area.

This culminated at Uptown, where the Andore before the elevator, continually spammed the running charge and with too many enemies around, I couldn't get a good attack on him... so I lost a life there and lost all of my lives, midway through the second part of the level.

I'm still so cheesed at how everything went down, because my very first attempt a few months ago, I had 3 lives going into the last section of the game, against Belger and the game froze; I easily would've done it at that point.

GAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*rant over*

I need to finish KH, Link's Awakening, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Catherine - my recent list of games I've been playing - not to mention Super Mario Bros U, Outer Worlds, Super Mario 3D Allstars, and various others! But over the weekend I picked up Ori and the Blind Forest and damn! That's a fun game.

Fahrenheit didn't quite click with me after a few hours of each character. Will still give a second try later--I always give games two solid attempts--but for now theer's other games I'm more eager to play on my backlog. Then again, since I'm already over half through Yakuza PS2, I might just do a no-file-reading RE2 speedrun 5 or 6 marathon sessions to catch up and time out finishing them relatively simultaneous.

Evil Twin and Omikron both took me until my second chance, among countless other favorites I discovered late.

Finally got around to Oneechanbara Origin. Never played the original two games it’s a remake of so I can’t compare really, but for the most part I’ve been enjoying it aside from some not so minor annoyances.

Reminds me a little bit of both Drakengard 3 and Senran Kagura to be honest, between the obvious Teenay as well as how parries and dodges work, hordes of enemies, leveling, and just how clunky it feels.

Thing is, I got maybe 6 hours in? and right at the end of a boss fight it crashes and upon reloading I find that my save data is corrupted and I have to start all over again. Ugh. I really hate how many new games like these autosave and only let you use one file, never mind this kind of bug shouldn’t even be a thing these days. Gonna have to look up how to back up PS4 saves...if not and if it happens again I’ll be forced to shelve it I guess.

Now I’ve got a job again I’ll have to see what I want to get next. Surprisingly there isn’t really much I’m interested in at the moment. Hyrule Warriors sequel, Fitness Boxing 2, Serious Sam collection, maybe Wasteland 3? Doom Eternal? Maybe not right away as I have bills to pay first, but probably not long after.

Finally got around to Oneechanbara Origin. Never played the original two games it’s a remake of so I can’t compare really, but for the most part I’ve been enjoying it aside from some not so minor annoyances.

Reminds me a little bit of both Drakengard 3 and Senran Kagura to be honest, between the obvious Teenay as well as how parries and dodges work, hordes of enemies, leveling, and just how clunky it feels.

Thing is, I got maybe 6 hours in? and right at the end of a boss fight it crashes and upon reloading I find that my save data is corrupted and I have to start all over again. Ugh. I really hate how many new games like these autosave and only let you use one file, never mind this kind of bug shouldn’t even be a thing these days. Gonna have to look up how to back up PS4 saves...if not and if it happens again I’ll be forced to shelve it I guess.

Now I’ve got a job again I’ll have to see what I want to get next. Surprisingly there isn’t really much I’m interested in at the moment. Hyrule Warriors sequel, Fitness Boxing 2, Serious Sam collection, maybe Wasteland 3? Doom Eternal? Maybe not right away as I have bills to pay first, but probably not long after.
Doom Eternal is free on Xbox Game Pass if you're on XB. If you're on PS4, I can't recommend Ghost of Tsushima enough. Backing up PS4 saves to USB Stick is really easy to do in the Settings. There's a few 2 minute videos on YouTube showing how to do it.

I just beat Days Gone on my PS5, which was a very decent open world experience - Wasn't to keen on Deacon as a character but very solid gameplay.

I've started Crash Bandicoot 4... honestly, I just don't have the enthusiasm for it. the difficulty is ramped up to ridiculous! The last level I played cost me 30+ lives. I'm not terrible at platformers but I am terrible with this game. It's to the point where It just feels like a huge effort to play. There's not fluidity to the level design, I like games like Sonic to where I can feel the exhilaration of motion. this game seems to focus on trial and error and after 2 sittings I'm sort of over it. I'll aim to beat the Story but I certainly won't be aiming for a Platinum Trophy.

As for a continuation of Crash, Its still to early to judge but I don't like how they've made Cortex Stupid, he is meant to be an intimidating villain, even in Twinsanity while funny he wasn't dumb. which they seem to have made him this time around which infuriates me as much as the difficulty

Playing the ps4 version of cyberpunk on my ps5 now. I really enjoy the game so far. Have been spared from game breaking bugs yet. It only crashed one time so far and after quick reload the game moved one. I hope it stays that way. Wish me luck.

I am also playing Shenmue on my ps5 again. this time I play it in the chronological way. Like every December

Began Yakuza 2 for my second ever play; first was about...7 years ago?

Forgot about the improved polygons on the models--even pedestrians are a bit more on par with Shenmue 2, rather than ripped straight from Jet Set Radio, as with Yakuza 1. Also, cutscene and fight animation are smoother and improved, plus I like the default moves and upgrading better.

Perhaps the few 480p PS2 games seem to upscale better...? Quite a bit more impressed than the original Yakuza or any MGS; it is pretty damn great. Although the progressive scan requires component, and the Pound cable upscales 480i from RGB. Must simply be the higher polygon count and animation resulting in an overall cleaner look and feel.

The parallels with Shenmue 2--funny enough--of minor improvements and quicker story creating a greater sequel are fairly 1:1

Began Yakuza 2 for my second ever play; first was about...7 years ago?

Forgot about the improved polygons on the models--even pedestrians are a bit more on par with Shenmue 2, rather than ripped straight from Jet Set Radio, as with Yakuza 1. Also, cutscene and fight animation are smoother and improved, plus I like the default moves and upgrading better.

Perhaps the few 480p PS2 games seem to upscale better...? Quite a bit more impressed than the original Yakuza or any MGS; it is pretty damn great. Although the progressive scan requires component, and the Pound cable upscales 480i from RGB. Must simply be the higher polygon count and animation resulting in an overall cleaner look and feel.

The parallels with Shenmue 2--funny enough--of minor improvements and quicker story creating a greater sequel are fairly 1:1
I've only played 1, 2, 3 and 4 (still saving 0 for a rainy day...) but to me 2 is easily the best of that bunch.

I may be building a serious addiction to PSO2. It's just fun. I'm not sure how else to put it. It can be kind of wacky and absurd like the first game, as well (I am wondering where the Samba de Amigo maraca guns are in PSO2, though--those were one of my favorites from the first PSO): The rare drop song that plays in the Christmas urgent quest after getting hit by the candy cane wielding Christmas tree is just, *chef kiss*. I love the Emparappy plush in my living quarters, too.

I've unlocked the Hero, Phantom, and Etoile classes after getting summoner to 81, and the fighter sub I was using up to 75. I haven't actually played Phantom yet (although I do really want to), but as a subclass for summoner it's pretty excellent. I have Phantom up to 53 after setting it as a subclass for a few Tokyo bonus keys, which gave me all the subclass skills in the skill tree that I needed, and then some. My 14 star Jinga now has some pretty legit sweets in its sweetbox, and I'm starting to push toward some consistent 100k damage hits. I have the 14 star versions of almost all the pets now, including the rappy. It's pretty great. I'm liking the new urgent quest for ep. 6 as well.

I've only played 1, 2, 3 and 4 (still saving 0 for a rainy day...) but to me 2 is easily the best of that bunch.
Yeah, has always been my favorite, too. Love Daigo, love the jazz music playing during fights rather than the rock tune and the quicker battle loading and skipping option. IIRC one minor gripe I had with Yakuza 3 was the new 7th gen engine caused them go back to slower static battle load screen. Also, I forgot how much i like Sayama! Can't wait to play Yakuza 4 again in a few months. Akiyama ftw!

I've only played 1, 2, 3 and 4 (still saving 0 for a rainy day...) but to me 2 is easily the best of that bunch
Grr. Evil.

Yeah, has always been my favorite, too. Love Daigo, love the jazz music playing during fights rather than the rock tune and the quicker battle loading and skipping option. IIRC one minor gripe I had with Yakuza 3 was the new 7th gen engine caused them go back to slower static battle load screen. Also, I forgot how much i like Sayama! Can't wait to play Yakuza 4 again in a few months. Akiyama ftw!

3 didn't have a static load screen; you'd encounter the battle, dialogue would happen, then there would be a view behind Kiryu's back (or something related), the screen would shift slightly and would say the type of enemy you were fighting, then the fight would begin.

It would load, but, it wasn't the static screen like in 1.

Not much of anything...haven't really been in the mood for much in terms of gaming. I have games to play but nothing is taking my fancy right now....movies on the other hand, movies I've been watching.

50 hours of cyberpunk 2077. Thank god my version it's a good one.

The city at night it's what i always dreamt

Reactions: red
Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time. . . One of the worst PS4 experiences I've had!

I consider myself relatively competent when it comes to games, I don't go out of my way to play difficult games as it doesn't appeal to me. However, when a series I love suddenly takes a gigantic difficulty spike like this, then I take issue.

I simply hated this game from start to finish. I don't have anything kind to say about it, the narrative while having some decent lines didn't explore anything interesting - certainly not to the extent TwinSanity did with the lore. A lot for the new lore was fed through time-travel/parallel universe nonsense, I didn't feel this game really pushed the series forward in any great way - story wise.

As for the gameplay, yes it is difficulty, but to the point where I feel it is unreasonable. Many times I felt the gameplay demanded the player to break the boundaries of physics within the game to get by - Sliding off an edge then while in the air double jumping, instead of falling instantly. Also there are moments in one of the notoriously difficult levels where it has the same looking laser, one is in-front of you as an obstacle, the other is covering a pitfall. If you make contact with the obstacle and have a mask it takes the hit for you, but if you jump on the laser over the pitfall you die even with the mask! This laser has an identical asset too, there is no logical reason for this other than the developers being unfair. There are many instances to where I had this problem and really it just became exhausting - Think I'm joking? Once you beat the game you get a skin for crash showing him injured in bandages!

Toys For Bob had the intention of making this game difficult to the point of it being un-enjoyable and they have succeeded. I hate this game and if they intend to make another I'm not interested.

Reactions: red
i completed aliens colonial marines (ps3) and started sleeping dogs (ps3) .. after i complete sleeping dogs i fancy buying a copy of gta4 and completing that... i played it but never got to the end.

i played aliens colonial marines like i would a ps2 game and it was "ok". i thought some of the story was interesting. i remember reading the makers of this game talked/interviewed Ridley-Scott and got some ideas for the story...makes me wonder if some of the plot ideas will Resurface in future aliens films? - the basic plot in alien colonial marines is a bunch of marines vs weyland yutani / xenomorphs, 9 months or so after the events of aliens(1986)... ( i could see that happening in alien awakening..with the engineers turning up and killing everyone, of course)

Last edited:
Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time. . . One of the worst PS4 experiences I've had!

As for the gameplay, yes it is difficulty, but to the point where I feel it is unreasonable. Many times I felt the gameplay demanded the player to break the boundaries of physics within the game to get by
i didnt get around to playing 4 but i did play crash bandicoot (ps4), i had the same problem and gave up trying to complete it. sometimes it's fun other times it's ridiculously hard. it's nothing like the ps1 original.

Back