What are you playing?

What's that?
電車でGo! - Densha De Go! (Go By Train)
This game is called Densha de Go!! Hashirou Yamanote Line.
It came out on PS4 in December 2020 and i think in middle of March 2021 for the Switch.
Its Japan only, theres no english version. BUT it is very easy to understand,
theres a button for the brake, a button for the lights and so on, its not hard to learn at all
and theres no dialogue or story cutscenes or whatever.

You can drive on the tracks of the Yamanote line, its a circle route in Tokyo
and the tracks in the game are based on the real thing. You can see the same building, bridges and streets.
So it is almost 1:1 like real life.

Theres like a mission mode where you have to finish different sections of the circle route
with different trains in different weather conditions and so on. And then that unlocks new trains for other game modes
and harder challenges etc. There are also express trains that dont stop at every station.

Basically the gameplay is: watch the speed limit because you dont want to be too fast or too slow,
remember to use the train horn at bridges or to warn track workers, deactivate lights when you see a train coming,
arrive at the station exactly on time (+/- 0 seconds) and stop the train at exactly 0,0 cm by the stop sign.
Every train has different steps / power for the brakes, so you have to learn the right speed
and brake power for every train model. But it is not really a simulator game. Its not like Train Sim World or something like that.
Its more a challenging arcade game.

It came out on PS4 in December 2020 and i think in middle of March 2021 for the Switch.
theres a button for the brake, a button for the lights and so on, its not hard to learn at all

and the tracks in the game are based on the real thing. You can see the same building, bridges and streets.

Theres like a mission mode where you have to finish different sections of the circle route
with different trains in different weather conditions and so on. And then that unlocks new trains for other game modes
and harder challenges etc. There are also express trains that dont stop at every station.

Basically the gameplay is: watch the speed limit because you dont want to be too fast or too slow,
remember to use the train horn at bridges or to warn track workers, deactivate lights when you see a train coming,
arrive at the station exactly on time (+/- 0 seconds) and stop the train at exactly 0,0 cm by the stop sign.
Every train has different steps / power for the brakes, so you have to learn the right speed
and brake power for every train model. But it is not really a simulator game. Its not like Train Sim World or something like that.

You know there have been probably 20 games released in the series until this point, right?

Of course, none of them look as good as (or are updated) this title, but there are a bunch of these games. Not to mention, the Dreamcast (or was it the Saturn?) even has a dedicated controller for this! :D

You know there have been probably 20 games released in the series until this point, right?

Of course, none of them look as good as (or are updated) this title, but there are a bunch of these games. Not to mention, the Dreamcast (or was it the Saturn?) even has a dedicated controller for this! :D
Yeah i know but i think the last like main title is from 2007 or something,
so we are not even talking about PS3 graphics
but PS2 and PSP graphics. Even this new 2020 release is not really a up to date title
because its all based on the arcade machine version from 2017.

I'm not a graphics over everything guy, i have no problem with games like the original Shenmue
or even Resident Evil on PSX
but in a train simulator where you are looking 'out of the window' 95% of the time
its nice to have at least something pretty to look at.
And the 2007, 2004, 2002 graphics (not just the texture & shadow quality etc but also draw distance & pop up etc)
just doesnt do it for me anymore. The 2017 version also doesnt have the best graphics ever,
you can clearly see really low res textures or how the tires on AI cars dont work etc
but overall its still good enough. The 'problem' is just the content.
Driving in a circle in one single city doesnt really offer endless fun.
If you play this game for 4-8 hours every day, you will be super bored after three days.

Its kind of the same thing with Yakuza were i really would like to see different regions in one game,
maybe even drive / travel to other cities / places just for the immersion and variety,
like imagine Yakuza 3 and you could drive from the orphanage to Ryukyu without a loading screen.
I also would like the same 2017 / 2020 Densha game but
where you are able to choose tracks / lines that start in a city and then the line
goes up in the mountains and theres no station for 15 minutes. Only nature.
I dont like how everything always has to take place in typical cities
when there could be so many more places to explore in a country / setting.

Give me some Bus Sim where you can drive from Tokyo to Kyoto or whatever, i will pay 70€ and more.
I paid 105€ for the physical Densha De Go import and i'm not rich at all. Its just stuff that i like to support.

Last edited:
I picked up Huntdown in the recent PSN sale, and finished it on Normal difficulty this afternoon, what good fun this was. Just as it's starting to get a bit samey, it'll chuck a load of new weapons , stage types and enemy variety at you to keep you invested. For a game with 20-odd bosses , it's an achievement that so many of them were so uniquely designed. Probably the best side scrolling shooter I've played in over a decade, and an absolute must if you like synthwave and 80's action tropes. Bargain for 8 quid at the moment, don't sleep on it.

Brilliant trailer here :

Reactions: red
Mortal Kombat 11 -- FUCK ALL SHEEVA SPAMMERS! Anytime I see someone pick Sheeva, I know they're going to spam the shit out of her unblockable air stomp. Yes, I know you can get out of the range with Johnny Cage's shadow kick...but it is so bloody annoying to fight a match where one player is purposely being a dick spamming that one move. This is why I sort of don't like Netherrealm games online. It seems like every Netherrealm game I've ever played is suspect to this sort of shit. I'd rather take a match with a genuinely good player that can genuinely kick my ass over that shit. Because at least you can maybe try to learn something from a genuinely good player, but spammers? Fuck them!

You will always find people who will do the most spammiest of shit and not fight a proper match. But other than that I've had some decent matches online...but fuck Sheeva players spammers. That is all. I enjoy MK 11 in general...but yeah, spammy bullshit seems like a common Netherrealm issue in general.

Last edited:
Yeah i know but i think the last like main title is from 2007 or something,
so we are not even talking about PS3 graphics
but PS2 and PSP graphics. Even this new 2020 release is not really a up to date title
because its all based on the arcade machine version from 2017.

I'm not a graphics over everything guy, i have no problem with games like the original Shenmue
or even Resident Evil on PSX
but in a train simulator where you are looking 'out of the window' 95% of the time
its nice to have at least something pretty to look at.
And the 2007, 2004, 2002 graphics (not just the texture & shadow quality etc but also draw distance & pop up etc)
just doesnt do it for me anymore. The 2017 version also doesnt have the best graphics ever,
you can clearly see really low res textures or how the tires on AI cars dont work etc
but overall its still good enough. The 'problem' is just the content.
Driving in a circle in one single city doesnt really offer endless fun.
If you play this game for 4-8 hours every day, you will be super bored after three days.

Its kind of the same thing with Yakuza were i really would like to see different regions in one game,
maybe even drive / travel to other cities / places just for the immersion and variety,
like imagine Yakuza 3 and you could drive from the orphanage to Ryukyu without a loading screen.
I also would like the same 2017 / 2020 Densha game but
where you are able to choose tracks / lines that start in a city and then the line
goes up in the mountains and theres no station for 15 minutes. Only nature.
I dont like how everything always has to take place in typical cities
when there could be so many more places to explore in a country / setting.

Give me some Bus Sim where you can drive from Tokyo to Kyoto or whatever, i will pay 70€ and more.
I paid 105€ for the physical Densha De Go import and i'm not rich at all. Its just stuff that i like to support.

And you know that Tokyo Bus Guide came out on the DC too, back in 2000/2001ish?

I own it :)

And you know that Tokyo Bus Guide came out on the DC too, back in 2000/2001ish?

I own it :)
Actually i dont know this title. Yeah, it looks like something i would play.
Just the same problem as the old Densha De Go games, the graphics.
I have no problem with 'Dreamcast graphics' like in Crazy Taxi
because the game world is not supposed to look ultra realistic, the characters are goofy, its all just fun, so it works.
I have no problem with 'PSX graphics' like in Resi 2 or Silent Hill because this low res dirty look
actually helps with the horror setting / feeling.

But in a 'simulator' game, where its just our normal world, where everything is supposed to look like the real thing,
i cant take it serious anymore when the graphics look like a early 2000 game. It kills the immersion for me.
You know, its not a specific art style, it just looks old.
Thats why i would love to see updated 2020+ versions for all of it and i would pay full price for it.
Give me Densha De Go DLCs for new lines and i will give you my money.

Fully-understood.

Though I will say, the guy who used to run Segagagadomain, wrote that he was able to find the exact building he used to work at, in the game and that he didn't have to go out of his way; it was on one of the major Tokyo Routes that you drive in the game (and that exists in real-life). I really should give it a try one day...

Anyways, I'm not playing much of anything right now, but I did stumble upon Midtown Madness 2 again (saw some videos and was going to wait to get to my parents' house, so I can grab the CD, but I found it as abandonware online lol) and, what took me about 1 week and many sweaty hours to complete fully in 2008, I was able to do it in like 3 hours, between last Monday and Tuesday lol. So now I'm just enjoying the Cruise mode and downloaded the Chicago map (I used to play the crap out the demo of the first Midtown Madness, which uses the Chicago map) and the Impreza, so I'm just enjoying my time :)

That being said, with all of this car stuff (I am getting my driveshaft done on Wednesday and {hopefully!} getting a new pair of roof rack bars on Thursday, so I can transport the canoe), I think it's time to fire up the DC again (haven't in almost a full year) and play some Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2. maybe start a brand new game with Subarus, instead of Nissans.

Also need to FINALLY try the Retrofighters DC pad, so this will be a good chance to do so :)

I was actually looking at buying that the other day. I was debating between the PS4 version or that Densha De Go plug and play.

I’ve played Densha De Go in Japanese arcades and have always been fascinated by it.

I was actually looking at buying that the other day. I was debating between the PS4 version or that Densha De Go plug and play.

I’ve played Densha De Go in Japanese arcades and have always been fascinated by it.
The PS4 version released in december 2020 is basically the arcade machine version from 2017,
just with a new mission and unlock mode. Theres also a free mode where you can use your unlocked trains
on the Yamanote circle route.
But the PS4 version does not have the same arcade mode as the real machine.
The arcade mode is extremely limited on console. But the arcade machine version doesnt have the mission mode.

The Plug n Play version is basically Densha De Go Final from 2003 in 720p 30 fps.
Densha De Go PS4 is 1080p 60 fps on PS4 Pro and PS5.
(Densha De Go Final probably has more content / lines / tracks)

The PS4 version released in december 2020 is basically the arcade machine version from 2017,
just with a new mission and unlock mode. Theres also a free mode where you can use your unlocked trains
on the Yamanote circle route.
But the PS4 version does not have the same arcade mode as the real machine.
The arcade mode is extremely limited on console. But the arcade machine version doesnt have the mission mode.

The Plug n Play version is basically Densha De Go Final from 2003 in 720p 30 fps.
Densha De Go PS4 is 1080p 60 fps on PS4 Pro and PS5.
(Densha De Go Final probably has more content / lines / tracks)
That's why I'm debating...I'm a bit bummed the PS4 version is just the Yamanote line and would almost like more lines. I would really like some of the bullet train lines. I don't mind the 720p/30fps factor on the Plug and Go...my understanding is it's the PS2 version...but that PS4 does look nice as well in its own right.

Last edited:
Played about 2+ hours of Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 last night and was able to test out the Retro Fighters DC Pad.

The pad feels good, the buttons are all super-responsive and the VMU is still visible, despite a lot of the surface area being sacrificed, from the original DC pad.

I hate the triggers on this thing though; I have 0 doubt they will never break down or anything, but they are so damn flimsy compared to the original DC pad, I hate, hate, HATE the feeling they give. I used the shoulder buttons instead, but because my muscle memory was thrown off a tad, it actually hindered my gameplay, at times.

Showered, went back to the game with my tried and true DC half-blue controller and... yeah, it's still my #1 favourite controller ever; it fits perfectly in my hands and those triggers are a joy and a half; so robust!

And TXR2 is still a phenomenal racing game; so much fun (and I'm super rusty lol).

Valkyria Chronicles 4. It was £12 on the Nintendo Switch so thought I'll try it. Not enjoying it as much as the first game and one thing that's getting to me is the slow pace. Same issue with the first game as well where every time you go into a new menu a little cut scene plays. Also, when progressing from battle to battle the cut scenes are broken up into different chapters/missions you have to keep clicking back in to.

Picked up The Medium on Steam yesterday. Love when games go out of their way to do something unique, so it seemed right up my alley.

Been having a lot of fun with it so far. It's definitely got a real creepy vibe to it, and the fixed camera angles give it a sort of retro feel which I really dig. Not enjoying the 'action' and stealth sequences too much though. They feel really clunky and awkward to play. The game definitely shines the most during the puzzling sections; especially when the split screen spirit world gimmick is being fully utilised.

Performance is also weirdly rough. It dips a little in the split screen sections which makes sense given it has to render two scenes at the same time. But there are some random moments that bring me all the way down to 11 FPS for seemingly no reason. Hoping they can push some optimisation patches down the line to help fix that stuff because it's really immersion breaking when it happens.

In general though (at least, from what I've played of it), I can definitely recommend it to anyone looking for an eerie experience that is probably unlike anything else out there just now!

Valkyria Chronicles 4. It was £12 on the Nintendo Switch so thought I'll try it. Not enjoying it as much as the first game and one thing that's getting to me is the slow pace. Same issue with the first game as well where every time you go into a new menu a little cut scene plays. Also, when progressing from battle to battle the cut scenes are broken up into different chapters/missions you have to keep clicking back in to.
Dude give it a chance VC4 it's amazing. I'd say better than 1 (yes, I said it!). It's a fantastic game, I hope they release a VC5 someday.

Picked up The Medium on Steam yesterday. Love when games go out of their way to do something unique, so it seemed right up my alley.

Been having a lot of fun with it so far. It's definitely got a real creepy vibe to it, and the fixed camera angles give it a sort of retro feel which I really dig. Not enjoying the 'action' and stealth sequences too much though. They feel really clunky and awkward to play. The game definitely shines the most during the puzzling sections; especially when the split screen spirit world gimmick is being fully utilised.

Performance is also weirdly rough. It dips a little in the split screen sections which makes sense given it has to render two scenes at the same time. But there are some random moments that bring me all the way down to 11 FPS for seemingly no reason. Hoping they can push some optimisation patches down the line to help fix that stuff because it's really immersion breaking when it happens.

In general though (at least, from what I've played of it), I can definitely recommend it to anyone looking for an eerie experience that is probably unlike anything else out there just now!
In terms of performance, with a i5 9400F and 1060 6gb was alright, but yeah in the split world was kinda 28ish. It's natural, it's basically like opening 2 games at the same time. I suppose they will patch your problems soon anyway, but it's still playable.

I played it on Gamepass and I loved it. I'm not much into horror games, I'm kinda pussy but I liked this one because it's not "real horror", seemes more like "light horror", "suspense" or something like that. The camera seems a lot like RE and SH of ps1 so if you are old school you will really like that, and if we are honest with ourselves, those games were a bit like this one, I think the "real horror" came with the first person games, so a Silent Hill like with this camera wouldnt be scary as fuck. You should make it first person camera like SH P.T and REVII and VIII. That's why I think most people didnt like the game, they made something old school (in a world where everybody is actually asking for a SH remake) and when they give it to you, people spits at it because it's not scary enough. Dude, we grown, industry did, and we can play classic horror games like and stay chill like playing Fall guys.

Sorry for the rant but needed to say it lol.

I really liked the atmosphere, the graphics and the MC. I hope they release a second part. It's a great game, it's a shame I didnt bought it when was cheap in Steam a few months ago, now it's too expensive.

Had started my first Pokemon randomizer earlier this week with Heart Gold. Might dial it back a bit as I decided to randomize almost everything and so I don’t even know which attacks will have what effect lol

So, feeling nostalgic, I decided to finally cave and get Let’s go Eevee. Would have gone with Pikachu but apparently Meowth is exclusive to the Eevee version sadly.

It’s been a weird experience so far, being able to catch most Pokemon pretty easily, but then also having absurdly high requisites for some things that were lower in the original games. I still much prefer having to weaken Pokemon in battle or cause status ailments to catch them to this. At least the trainer battles seem relatively unharmed so far.

Don’t much enjoy the overall tone either, but at least the music is great.

Back