What are you playing?

Been playing through both the No More Heroes games since I got the Limited Run collection for Switch. Trying to complete them and Travis Strikes Again before NMH3 gets here. Also replaying Skyward Sword HD, almost as lazy a port as the Mario games but I’ll take not having to buy more batteries to be able to play it. Lastly, I found out Earth Defense Force 2 released for Switch on the Japanese store so I got that too. I don’t recall if there’s an English version for the psp or something but I’d rather not buy one just for this one game.

Primarily playing the Legend of Mana remaster (along with some New Genesis and the finishing touches on RE8). LoM is a game I remember quite fondly, and I love it as much or more this time around.

Like Shenmue, it's polarizing. It's definitely a different game than the other Mana titles--it was produced by the guy behind most of the SaGa games, and it shows--but if you're open to strange, non-linear, and sometimes downright peculiar RPGs, it's definitely worth a shot!

I started the original Phantasy Star today on the Master System. I've been meaning to play through I-IV in order for a while, especially when we were in quarantine, but it felt like the time commitment would be too overwhelming, haha. I finally committed to it, so we'll see how it goes!

I'm going to play the original games, no ROM hacks, no compilation releases that are rebalanced. I bought a pad of graph paper to map out these dungeons, LFGGGGGGG.

I've been dipping in and out of No Man's Sky for quite a long time now. For some reason that game is my chill out game. Aside from that dabbling in VF5US. Nothing else has grabbed my eye I'm waiting on Lost Judgment, Life Is Strange True Colors, Oxenfree 2 & Open Roads.

I'm playing Cyberpunk 2077.

I'm aware of the bugs in this game, but it plays okay.

I don't think it is a terrible game, but considering that today's gamers slagged off Shenmue 3 rotten for having such a terrible budget, I think it's fair game that a AAA title with a 300 million dollar budget receives the backlash that it does.

Visuals do not make a game alone.

Super Mario Sunshine -- Good god this game has some of the worst platforming/camera mechanics I've ever seen in a Mario Game. It is a frustrating game from beginning to end. F.L.U.D.D is more of a pain in the ass hindrance than an interesting mechanic. Once you get to the platforming stages that remove F.L.U.D.D from your back, then you quickly realize just how terribly floaty Mario is in this game. People rag on Sonic Adventure?

Honestly, I'd rather play Sonic Adventure than ever play Mario Sunshine again. But, I made a commitment to see it through to 50 Shines to "beat" the game and I'm up to 35...so I'll keep plugging away. But man, this game is pretty rotten and deserves the black sheep of the family status it has.

It's a shame because the setting is really cool and charming. But the mission design is just so repetitive and uninspired. And the platforming is just way too dodgy for its own good. It feels WAY too floaty and very prone to glitching the fuck out. And then you get those instances where you have to climb a tower but suddenly find yourself out of water...meaning you have to go back down to surface and refill...meaning you have to climb the god damn tower all over again. Frustrating game!

Honestly, I haven't really been playing much lately...just nothing out right now that has taken my interest. Still haven't even really gone back to Resident Evil 8. I just can't be assed to do it.

Been reading a lot more than anything else lately. That and just listening to a lot of music while reading. Super Mario Sunshine is really the only thing I've been playing and I usually play it in 3 to 4 hour stretches while laying on my bed.

But other than that? It's been a pretty quiet month for gaming. Just nothing out there taking my interest lately. That will probably change next month with the next Judgment game.

Yeah, I'm just biding my time until the end of September, but honestly, I can't wait :D

I did play my first second of videogames (which has turned in 5 combined hours, the past 2 nights) since March, Tuesday evening and just did some THPS, THPS2 and NFL 2K2 on the Dreamcast. Was great to see I still have my muscle memory :D

With football season ever-nearing, NFL 2K2 just still stands up as a PHENOMENAL game; I don't subscribe the whole, "aging," crap that people talk about, but if there is one football game that has, "aged," spectacularly, it is this one.

After @Dietsoap and I talked about it, I have a good month and half until Judge Eyes 2/Lost Judgement comes out, so I will be banging out Burning Rangers in the next little while; going to try to get at least 2-3 of my backlog fully-completed, before the end of September, perhaps BR, a Genesis title and a DC title.

I have the Great Ace Attorney Chronicles waiting for me since I preordered it months ago.

Alas, life has not been conducive to actually playing it. I'm hoping to dive in this weekend!

With that, I've been floating between Enderal, Balan Wonderworld, and doing my usual Animal Crossing New Horizons stuff (there have been a couple of hints in the latest update about a Nook's Cranny upgrade and the cafe finally happening... please don't tease us, Ninty!).

Continuing my annoyance with Super Mario Sunshine...these fucking water puzzles! The ones where you have to spray your water cannon and make a picture or get a jackpot on the slot machines...these things are fucking insufferable! You can't line up your water cannon without inadvertently hitting something else out of line. And then when you finally do get the combination right and get to enter the secret platforming level...should you die and lose all your lives, you're thrown back to the hub world where those stinking puzzles god damn reset.

Forcing you to spend another 10-20 minutes trying to get those puzzles resolved so I can enter yet again....

I am at 42 sunshines and am very close to the minimum requirement of 50 to "beat" the game but at this point? I just don't care. I really don't like playing this game. It's just too damn riddled with control issues that stop it from being in any way fun.

It's a shame because I came back to it after beating Galaxy (I've been playing the HD trilogy they released) and I had never played Sunshine before, but god damn is it frustrating as all hell and I can understand why so many people don't like it.

Also, I played through Jet Set Radio again last night since it's a 4-5 hour game at best...mostly got Jet and Nitro rankings... I will forever love this game. Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 are my go to happy games when I need cheering up. I absolutely adore the soundtrack. Once you learn how to play the game and get the most out of lining up grinds mid jump, it's a really fun game that still holds up. I know everyone loves to rag on the camera issues, but to them I say, Git Good :D

I know I'm in the minority...but I still kind of prefer the first game over JSRF. Yes, the grinding is much tighter in Future and the spray painting far easier, but that's partially why I still gravitate towards the first game. I think it has a little bit more of a challenge to it.

(...which I'm sure a Mario Sunshine player would say to me about Mario Sunshine in return ;))

Last edited:
Finished replaying Silver Case recently. Thought I might start up Flower, Sun, & Rain or 25th Ward but decided to hold off on them for now.

Instead I started replaying the Link’s Awakening remake for Switch and played about half the game in one sitting. I plan to do the Color dungeon which I’ve never done before, maybe even collect all or at least most seashells as well as the trendy game figurines. Might even attempt Hero mode. Going back and forth between this and Skyward Sword HD, not sure if I might hold off on replaying Breath of the Wild again and reattempting my no armor run.

Went ahead and bought Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen for Switch. Maybe not the best console choice(honestly have no idea) but it’s just convenient for me atm. I’d always figured this was some sequel or spin-off or standalone expansion and it was not made clear to me until recently when a friend showed me it’s just an updated version of the original. Haven’t started it up yet myself but excited to do so either later today or next weekend.

Continuing my annoyance with Super Mario Sunshine...these fucking water puzzles! The ones where you have to spray your water cannon and make a picture or get a jackpot on the slot machines...these things are fucking insufferable! You can't line up your water cannon without inadvertently hitting something else out of line. And then when you finally do get the combination right and get to enter the secret platforming level...should you die and lose all your lives, you're thrown back to the hub world where those stinking puzzles god damn reset.

Forcing you to spend another 10-20 minutes trying to get those puzzles resolved so I can enter yet again....

I am at 42 sunshines and am very close to the minimum requirement of 50 to "beat" the game but at this point? I just don't care. I really don't like playing this game. It's just too damn riddled with control issues that stop it from being in any way fun.

It's a shame because I came back to it after beating Galaxy (I've been playing the HD trilogy they released) and I had never played Sunshine before, but god damn is it frustrating as all hell and I can understand why so many people don't like it.

Also, I played through Jet Set Radio again last night since it's a 4-5 hour game at best...mostly got Jet and Nitro rankings... I will forever love this game. Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 are my go to happy games when I need cheering up. I absolutely adore the soundtrack. Once you learn how to play the game and get the most out of lining up grinds mid jump, it's a really fun game that still holds up. I know everyone loves to rag on the camera issues, but to them I say, Git Good :D

I know I'm in the minority...but I still kind of prefer the first game over JSRF. Yes, the grinding is much tighter in Future and the spray painting far easier, but that's partially why I still gravitate towards the first game. I think it has a little bit more of a challenge to it.

(...which I'm sure a Mario Sunshine player would say to me about Mario Sunshine in return ;))
Totally agree on both counts, JSR is better than Future (which I still like!) and Mario Sunshine is a mostly miserable experience. Shame it's on the Mario 3D Collection on Switch, I would have happily booted it to make room for Galaxy 2.

Skyward Sword HD but I've had to put it down for a few weeks.

Just had my 2nd vaccine and feel like crap, so maybe I'll chuck it on later.

Totally agree on both counts, JSR is better than Future (which I still like!) and Mario Sunshine is a mostly miserable experience. Shame it's on the Mario 3D Collection on Switch, I would have happily booted it to make room for Galaxy 2.

I mean I like both games very much...I just think, much like you, the first one edges it out for me. Although, Future does have The Concept of Love :D

God, I wish they had ported JSRF elsewhere and got it off the OG Xbox. The only way I can play it now is through the Xbox Emulator on PC. Thankfully it plays kind of okay with the occasional graphical glitch here and there, but it still has its issues. I would like a proper port elsewhere of it. Give me JSR and JSRF as a pack...but I guess maybe that JSR port didn't sell well enough for that to happen :( I do remember reading that run of Dreamcast ports didn't do so crash hot back in the day. Was kind of why Shenmue never got released despite being planned was what I heard (well, one of many issues that held it up.)

On a side note...I am sincerely hoping for the best from this.

It looks like they nailed the look and hopefully they nailed the gameplay as well. That trailer above is promising. I really am hoping for the best from this. I just want more Jet Set Radio. And since SEGA won't give it to us, I'll take the homage game instead.

Yeah, I would have much preferred Galaxy 2 over Sunshine. There are things about it that I like. I like the atmosphere and setting. But I can't stand the hindrance that is F.L.U.D.D. I can't stand the wonky fucking camera that will obscure your view with scenery more often than not because no one at Nintendo thought to make the scenery transparent when the camera swivels about. Mario is just TOO damn floaty for his own good. He feels like he has no weight about him at times. And the game is just constantly punishing you to do things you don't want to when you inevitably fuck up your run due to one of its many issues.

I'm up to 47 shines...so I will see it through to 50 to "beat" it seeing as I'm so close...but fuck going for 120...you could not pay me to do that.

Last edited:
i gave control (2019) another go and completed it.

it's quite a strange game, i would say it was on par with death stranding, it also has elements of max payne but thats not surprising because both games are made by remedy.

the story is a bit annoying in the way that it throws you into the deep end, a bit like starting a book halfway in.. it's kinda a trend in modern games. the ending to control is not much better. it's a fun game but they could of toned down the story a bit, i zoned out quite a bit when some of the characters were talking because some of it was complete gibberish ( just like death stranding lol).

i would give the game -
8.5/10 for gameplay and graphics
6.5/10 for the story.

i gave control (2019) another go and completed it.

it's quite a strange game, i would say it was on par with death stranding, it also has elements of max payne but thats not surprising because both games are made by remedy.

the story is a bit annoying in the way that it throws you into the deep end, a bit like starting a book halfway in.. it's kinda a trend in modern games. the ending to control is not much better. it's a fun game but they could of toned down the story a bit, i zoned out quite a bit when some of the characters were talking because some of it was complete gibberish ( just like death stranding lol).

i would give the game -
8.5/10 for gameplay and graphics
6.5/10 for the story.
Similar impressions I had of the game but I only managed to play it for a couple of hours, if that, before giving up. I got to the first boss and just didn't have it in me to persevere through it. The story came across as one that was going to be convoluted, bland just drag on.

I started Sekiro a month or so ago but also gave up on that an hour or so in. I also went 50/50 on the Mafia remake but deleted it after watching my brother play it for a bit. A lot of this is due to just not having the time. I have so little time to play games that I just have to admit to myself early on that I'm not going to enjoy myself or it's not going to be worth the effort.

I did buy Nino Kuni II. Not even an hour in and hating that a lot of the dialogue is not voice acted but I do like it enough so far that I think it's one I might stick with.

Due to a severe lack of game time these days, I'm a bit backed up. Here's what's on deck for the next couple months:
- Mass Effect Legendary Edition (PS4) - In the middle of ME2 currently.
- Ghost of Tsushima DLC (keeping as PS4 version to save SSD space)
- Judgment (PS5)
- Cruis'n Blast (Switch)

Interested in what is causing this lack of game time for people? For me it's mainly the kids. Prior, I would finish work I could play games by the time I got home or straight if I was already home. Saturday or Sunday would be a day where my wife and I would lounge on the sofa all day doing our own thing. Now, there is literally no way I can play games when the kids are around and when I do get them to sleep, I'm usually quite tired (even if it's just 8pm or so) so the games I prefer to play are those that don't require too much concentration (hence why I gave up on Sekiro despite actually liking it).

Slightly off topic; I'm in the market for a high-end soundbar. I've got my eyes set on the Samsung Q950A which is getting good reviews and have a budget of around £1,200. Thing is, just like my current soundbar, I would hardly be able to use the thing as I can't have the volume up or the bass to loud as it will disturb the wife and kids at night. However, pretty much all of the past 5 years I have done little for myself so even if it's just twice a year where I have the house to myself and can crank up the volume and watch a movie/play a game with a proper sound system, it will be worth it.

Not sure on the soundbar, but the kids and being exhausted from work is basically why I don't play much these days. If my kids are up, I generally won't get to play the games I enjoy that have violence and suggestive themes. I usually end up playing Switch with them as I made a "vow" to only buy kid friendly games for the system. Then my wife works nights so I generally play games when she's at work and we catch up on our shows when she's home. When I am working through a single player game like Mass Effect or the others listed, it can often be put on the back burner so that I can play a co-op game with the friends; usually Dead by Daylight at the moment as co-op games are so few and far between. Then of course, some days, I'm just exhausted and don't want to think at all so I turn on something to watch; still really enjoy rewatching Futurama and Bob's Burgers.

Back