What are you playing?

Tried The Good Life demo on steam…kinda glad to be getting it on console since my laptop can barely run it. Not sure how long the demo actually is but I played for about an hour and a half. Mostly good stuff, just can’t deal with my computer chugging. Crazy how it can run better looking games so smoothly but just for whatever reason has a ton of trouble with the odd game here and there.
Bad optimization. I saw it on Horizon Zero Dawn. They tried keeping it exactly like on PS4 but on PC. I still ran it on ultra, but try dual tasking with it on. My PC runs anything on ultra, but these odd things are not strictly made for PCs. If I believe this forum, and I do a bit. They are made for consoles first, and then PC. So we get them optimized for consoles. It's not every game I'm sure, but some are that way.

Just now getting around to playing some games I bought in the Steam summer sale last year.

1633991288518.png

I played the first Yakuza on PS2 ages ago and enjoyed it enough but this is on another level, easily the most fun I've had with a new game in years.

1633991430530.png

Watched my other half play this on PS3 back when it came out, I'm not one for puzzle games but I love the story and art style.

1633991570167.png

This is an amazing game but it makes me so uneasy that I only play it in short bursts. I have toyed with the idea of uninstalling it and buying the novelisation but it really is a good game.

Just beat Return of the Obra Dinn. I thought it was great, it's kind of an adventure/mystery game where you try to reconstruct what happened to the crew members of a ghost ship by "replaying" different static scenes and piecing together clues. As you go you realize that nothing in the scene is put there by accident, it serves some purpose to help identify crew members and their fates.

I suppose my gripes are that it's easy to get completely stonewalled and some of the solutions require process of elimination. Near the end of the game you're able to brute force your way into guessing some of the answers, but you still need to make a good amount of progress before you're able to do this.

Finished Metroid Dread last night (probably my Game of the Year so far). Will probably hop back into Lost Judgment next to mop up a few missing collectibles while waiting for the new Guardians of the Galaxy game that’s due out at the end of the month. I can’t say that I’m too excited for it, but as I’ll be getting paid to play it, it actually being a good game will be a nice bonus.

I finished Metroid Dread too. I enjoyed it so much that as soon as the credits finished I loaded it up again to try and 100% it. Game of the Year so far for sure.
Haha. By finished, I meant 100% 😂 To be fair though, I think I already had 65% of the items when I first beat the final boss, so collecting the rest only took about an hour (I’m really glad that completing the game links all of the teleporters together as this saved a bunch of time!).

I think one of the things that I loved most about the game was how short it was. Most of the games I play these days feel bloated due to pointless padding, but Dread was 10 hours of sheer excellence. I’d much rather pay $60 for an amazing 10-hour title than a tiresome 20-hour plus one. That said, I do wish they’d done more with the EMMIs. I thought they ended up being the weakest element of the game despite the excellent premise.

i played a bit of hell's let loose on ps5, which was ok.

but don't ask me why but i'm playing resident evil 2 (ps1) on the ps3..again.

something about the pre rendered graphics and fixed camera angles which i find awesome. the ps1 graphics don't bother me that much but i kinda wish someone would nock out a few more similar games.

Everything I played this past week over my vacation…let’s see…

I started and finished Metroid Dread. Aside from a few minor nitpicks it was very fun and likely my new favorite 2D Metroid(granted the only other one I’ve finished being Super). As hard as it was and how it feels some stuff is legitimately unfair without memorizing things after a few deaths, it is nice to have something that isn’t piss easy and it is really satisfying. Emmi we’re a nice change of pace for the most part, having to think and be engaged on the fly instead of your standard Metroid fair. I just wish the zones themselves didn’t all look the same, could have used more unique backgrounds so each area would feel more distinct.

Started Far Cry 6. New Dawn had been fun but kinda small and not a gigantic change. This kind of feels like some weird mix of more of the same but also has some distinct changes that I think make it more immersive. I’m only just past what is essentially the tutorial island and dang it feels huge, kinda excited to explore the more urban areas but I’m not sure when I’ll get back to it yet.

EDF3 released on the Switch. For those that don’t know, that was released back on the 360 in the US as Earth Defense Force 2017. Don’t know why they don’t release the English version on here, really wishing they would, but even so it’s a bit nostalgic to play through again after all the others. There’s just something about going back to basics that’s real fun. They did add the Wingdiver class to it, though, for anyone interested in anything new, though I think that might have been in the Vita version as well.

Finally finished up Deadly Premonition 2 again, just in time for The Good Life to come out. While I’m glad it was made and overall I do like it, playing it again just reaffirmed that the first game was all around better even with its own faults. Too short, some quests were good but not enough side characters nor any good rewards and I feel some just bugged out on me and wouldn’t work properly, not enough NPC interactions in general, skateboard tricks are kinda useless, same for the survival mechanics and shrine upgrades. I feel they tried to fix the other world segments by having fewer, but they are all the same so it makes them feel repetitive and they still go on for way too long. Enemy designs are more interesting but still jank as hell tbh. Only thing I feel is as good is the story and characters, and with it being shorter it unfortunately feels rushed and a bit too simplistic.

Starting The Good Life, it almost kinda feels Swery and his team had more passion for this project instead. For all the similar elements it has and still being pretty rough around the edges, I feel it’s a lot more deliberate in a similar sense to Shenmue where you are meant to take your time with it and have a sort of naturalistic experience with it, asked to do stuff you wouldn’t quite normally be told to do in many other games. Sure, individual pieces are taken from here or there, but they all mix together for a bit of a fresh experience.

Metroid has been my focus lately. Played Zero Mission and Samus Returns for the first time earlier this year, then a quick replay of Super and Fusion. Started Dread tonight after having it for a week as I was waiting to complete Fusion.

Still need to get back to Psychonauts 2 and Skyward Sword, my other late summer conquests that I have not progressed very far in yet.

I bought the Steam version of Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water today. (Didn't actually realize today was the release date until a few minutes ago, though--). I kind of messed up, because I meant to get the deluxe version through Humble, for the previous protagonist costumes, with my discount, but somehow just got the standard version. Oh well.

I played the first couple chapters so far, and it is definitely a creep-fest. I think I will ultimately end up preferring the second game, but I'm still quite enjoying it, for the most part. The main point of consternation for me is that I found out first hand what they did about the tablet mechanics from the WiiU version, and I don't prefer it: The camera view is controlled with the right stick, but there's this shutter rotation aspect that's handled with the right and left bumper. As one 'battles' the ghosts, there tend to be more focal points that show up around it, and getting more of these into the rectangular shutter area causes them to take more damage. It's a neat idea, but clearly designed for the more instantaneous response of a gyro, and doesn't work very well with a standard controller. Looks like the Switch and Playstation versions actually support the gyro, at least. It's manageable, for the time being, anyway. I'm a little afraid of the water maidens, though.

Graphically, it seems pretty untouched. Settings are minimal, and I would be surprised if anything was even upsampled from the WiiU version. (I guess "Improved screen resolution" is actually listed as a feature for this release, but that seems kind of vague.) Not that I was expecting much other than a pretty simple port.

Thumbs up so far.

I bought the Steam version of Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water today. (Didn't actually realize today was the release date until a few minutes ago, though--). I kind of messed up, because I meant to get the deluxe version through Humble, for the previous protagonist costumes, with my discount, but somehow just got the standard version. Oh well.
If you didnt play 2 hours yet, you can refund it and buy the version you really want.

If you didnt play 2 hours yet, you can refund it and buy the version you really want.
Oh! I forgot Steam does that now. I actually have 2.4 hours on the steam play counter, though--. :sweatsmile:

It's all right. I could buy the DLC separately, and still have saved versus the deluxe version at full price, but I think I probably just don't really need it.

Oh! I forgot Steam does that now. I actually have 2.4 hours on the steam play counter, though--. :sweatsmile:

It's all right. I could buy the DLC separately, and still have saved versus the deluxe version at full price, but I think I probably just don't really need it.
Give it a try, explain the situation, the steam worker probably will give you the refund, and its pretty quick, in a couple of hours its done.

I’ve got the Switch version of Fatal Frame V. It’s my first time playing a game from the series and it’s sort of to see if I can challenge myself to finish another spooky game in the spirit of spooktober. I think the silliness of the camera and the stacked anime waifus will help lol. My only regret is finding out things like the Zero suit are not in this version but oh well. The only other horror games I’ve ever completed, well…Shadows of the Damned might be the only one, whereas things like Killer7 or Death Stranding are only sort of horror adjacent.

Otherwise, what I’ve been playing recently, has been the Good Life, which has been pretty fun but I’ve recently got stuck in and am kinda waiting on a patch that is only on the PC version so far. So I started up Spiritfarer for the time being, restarted from the beginning on Switch now as they have apparently updated with new characters. Wanna experience everything before I actually get to the ending. Knowing more stuff now I’m not meandering quite so much so that’s nice, but then again part of the game is the relaxing atmosphere.

Lastly I tried playing Voice of Cards last night but man I just flat out crashed. I wish work didn’t take so much out of me…makes my weekends feel wasted. From what little I did play, though, I’m glad the demo seemed designed to subvert story expectations a bit.

I'm finally nearing the end of Judgment (PS5). It's a far longer game than I thought it would be but it's good.

Just this week I picked up Hunt Showdown to play with a bud. I'm not generally into horror games or first person games so this pick up was a bit of irony. I'm having some fun with it though. The odd part for me is that the characters you play as... bounty hunters... can and more than likely will be permanently "killed" in the game after you reach level 11. If you play it, don't get attached to your hunters.

Just beat Lost Judgement last week. I loved a lot of the gameplay tweaks, so much so that I’ll be missing them when playing the original. I had a ton of problems with the presentation of the narrative (not the story), much like Yakuza 7. Great game that just fell short for me, but I’m also not really all that excited to see what RGG Studio comes up with next, given the issues I have with the presentation.

Just started playing Murderhouse from the PS Store. I love the presentation. The controls/camera is hard for me to get though. But I love that creepy lo-fi atmosphere.

I just got Life is Strange: True Colors (PS5) yesterday. I loved the original and Before the Storm, haven’t played the sequel, and was hesitant to pick this one up. I was afraid that I wouldn’t be able to connect with that style of gameplay anymore. Luckily, I’ve been enjoying my time with it so far.

I've invested time into my Nintendo Switch lately.

I'm primarily playing FE: Three Houses and R-Type. R Type is one of those classics where it's so hard but so fun to play. I loved it since the late 80s.

I also played demos of Triangle Strategy and Metroid Dread.

Anybody knows if I can play Monster Hunter world in single player mode? Or is it meant to be enjoyable only in co-op?

Back