What are you playing?

GTAIII was the first game I got for my PS2 back in the day. I downloaded the whole PS2 trilogy a few months ago on my PS4 (along with The Warriors), and yeah, the games haven’t aged well at all. But I got them for that nostalgia factor, and nostalgia is a powerful, sometimes judgement-clouding thing.

Shenmue was also the first game I got for my DC back in the day, and I still love it, nostalgia factor and all. I do agree it has aged better too.

I finally got a PS5 a week or two ago, and I’ve only been playing PS4 games on it so far. Ghosts of Tsushima and God of War play beautifully on it, and they played well enough to begin with on PS4. I didn’t think I’d dive into Ghost again after beating it the first time since I got bored with the game world (despite how downright beautiful it is), but the PS5 enhancements really breathed new life into it.

Still working my way through Two Point Hospital. This game is mad addictive, and I find myself humming the soundtrack while I’m at work.

Going through Yakuza Kiwami 2 of the unknownth time again. Still love it, despite the whack storytelling. Playing Yakuza 3 at the same time. Just beat Kanda, and I still hate that bullshit-ass battle.

Finally, I’ve been going back-and-forth trying to decide to give the PS5 version of Yakuza 7 at try. I was going through my second run on PS4, and I was having a more enjoyable time this time around since my party was already leveled up and I was playing it in English, so that cut out two of the biggest problems I had with the game originally. But since you can’t carry over your PS4 save to PS5, I just don’t know if I want to start over again from scratch.

GTAIII was the first game I got for my PS2 back in the day. I downloaded the whole PS2 trilogy a few months ago on my PS4 (along with The Warriors), and yeah, the games haven’t aged well at all. But I got them for that nostalgia factor, and nostalgia is a powerful, sometimes judgement-clouding thing.

Shenmue was also the first game I got for my DC back in the day, and I still love it, nostalgia factor and all. I do agree it has aged better too.
I think it's aged better in the sense of presentation. Voice acting aside, the cut scenes are still really impressive to this day in terms of their staging in Shenmue. That and the attention to detail. I think that's a big of what helps it hold up in my mind. Where as GTA3 -- as much as I am enjoying re-playing it -- feels very dated in a lot of these aspects.

I don't mean to sound too negative...I actually am enjoying re-playing GTA III, but yeah, there are many things about it that don't hold up well. Oh well...

Still playing GTA III and I grabbed Yakuza 6 on PC today....I'm actually looking forward to replaying that. I've been sort of looking for an excuse to play Y6 again and that PC version came at the right time.

Just completed Valkyria Chronicles 4. Very easy game, though my patience did run out towards the end and I rushed through the last 3 stages using YouTube. It felt like a slog because you had to click into each cut scene. Definitely don't regret buying it but definitely won't be rushing out to buy any sequel.

Now to get to demi God or Mortal Kombat before Tuesday and then start up dying light again.

Ugh, that's what they've made Xiaoyu look like now?

I mean, I'm all for an evolution in terms of look, but she doesn't even look Chinese anymore :(

Ugh, that's what they've made Xiaoyu look like now?

I mean, I'm all for an evolution in terms of look, but she doesn't even look Chinese anymore :(

Wall (738).jpg

That's her standard model before I gave her the blonde hair and glasses treatment.

I actually don't mind the way she looks in this game. She looks a little more matured than in previous games which I kind of dig. But I suppose when you compare it to her nearest counterpart in VF, you notice the difference.

Wall (83).jpg

But on that note...the Tekken 7 turn Xiaoyu into Pai PC mod is pretty awesome I must say...

20210321174707_1.jpg

I guess there are differences when you compare her to Tekken 6's model...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/UbQlBPnMokM/maxresdefault.jpg

And then there is Tekken 5 Xiaoyu....

Tekken 5 Dark Ressurection: Ling Xiaoyu in Ghost Battles #2 [Playstation 3,  2007] - YouTube

The jump from Tekken 5 to Tekken 6 looks in proportion where as the jump to T7 looks like they changed her face ever so slightly. They tried to mature her up a little which I kind of like (as mentioned before) but in doing so, they lost something.

I think they kind of changed the proportions of her face a little. In T5 and T6, she has kind of a long face (for a lack of better words) where as her T7 model is a little different.

I don't know, I kind of like her default T7 model personally speaking. But that's just me.

(This thread is quickly becoming "Dan Loves Xiayou" the thread :D)

Last edited:
Ah, you customized her; makes complete sense that nowadays, you should be able to. Even the default model, still looks very non-Chinese, IMO (I may be nitpicking in this sitch lol)

I don't mind any of the looks at all! I think she looks great, just that they have really detracted from her, "Chinese look," compared to the earlier titles.

Ah, you customized her; makes complete sense that nowadays, you should be able to. Even the default model, still looks very non-Chinese, IMO (I may be nitpicking in this sitch lol)

I don't mind any of the looks at all! I think she looks great, just that they have really detracted from her, "Chinese look," compared to the earlier titles.
I think it's just her facial features are out of proportion...even her nose looks off when you really look at the T7 model compared to the T5 and T6 model. It's almost like they tried to go somewhere between real and doll like features where as the older models are much more doll like. That's my thought anyways.

Wow Xiaoyu really changed beyond recognition.I am really not up to date with Tekken any more, I just know her from Tekken 3 and Tekken Tag Tournament. Tekken tag Tournament was also the last Tekken I played. So i missed the evolution of that character. Not easy to get used to get look if you just know the old models.

Most-recent I've played is 5, but I've seen quite a bit of Tag 2... 3 and Tag's look is what's stuck in mind, as it is with you (probably why I was so blown-away at the change).

hqdefault.jpg

Tekken 3 was her at her most Chinese looking

I feel like from Tekken 4 onwards the model changed

Tekken 4 Xiaoyu

tekken-21648-8168.jpg

Tekken 5

d4sxz1p-a58cf987-54ea-46ae-9584-c661a7c04a52.jpg

Tekken 6

tekken6.jpg

Tekken 7

ezgif-6-4025965b1adf.jpg

@Truck_1_0_1_ Yes the old character models of tekken also stuck in my mind. I am really a fan of the old design. It made the series special. That is also why i was really astonished how Xiaoyu changed.

i prefer the old character model over the new one. The new one is not really bad it just looks a bit generic. The new Xiaoyu looks like one of the DOA gals.

Nothing against DOA it is among my favourite Fighting Game Series next to Virtua Fighter and then Tekken but I would have preferred if character models would keep their orginal look and didn't try to emulate the DOA look.

on topic: Yesterday I started a new run for Fear Effect my NTSC PS1. I have always been fascinated with that game since it came out in 2000 but was too difficult for me to finish. I am curious I am gonna make it through this time.

Last edited:
@Truck_1_0_1_ Yes the old character models of tekken also stuck in my mind. I am really a fan of the old design. It made the series special. That is also why i was really astonished how Xiaoyu changed.

i prefer the old character model over the new one. The new one is not really bad it just looks a bit generic. The new Xiaoyu looks like one of the DOA gals.

Nothing against DOA it is among my favourite Fighting Game Series next to Virtua Fighter and then Tekken but I would have preferred if character models would keep their orginal look and didn't try to emulate the DOA look.

on topic: Yesterday I started a new run for Fear Effect my NTSC PS1. I have always been fascinated with that game since it came out in 2000 but was too difficult for me to finish. I am curious I am gonna make it through this time.
I tend to think of it as moreso the "Waifu" look that became more and more prevalent in anime and Japanese games really.

I don't know. I agree she doesn't look the same, but I'll stand by the Tekken 7 model. I think she looks good with that model. But anyways, when you've stared at her for over a 1000 hours online you kind of stop noticing the little differences :D

Tekken 7 -- So I finally hit a breaking point with this game. Went online....was playing like complete and utter shit. Couldn't land a hit without getting whiffed. Couldn't do jack. After near 1000 hours registered on Steam...I think I finally hit a wall with Tekken 7...so that's me done with Tekken 7 for a while. Maybe time to take a break...but at least I made it to the Red Ranks online so I take some pride in that. I never expected to get to Tekken God or anything like that...but I'll take my Red Rank....now bring on Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown...I'm ready for a new fighting game challenge online. Hopefully that thing comes to Steam as well as PS4 whenever it does drop...(I really am excited for that I'm so ready for some new VF)

Yakuza 6 -- Slowly reworking my way through Yakuza 6 on PC. Still having a really good time with it...I maintain I really like Yakuza 6.

Oddworld: Soulstorm -- I grabbed this from PSN since it's this months free PSN game for PS5. I really love the first two Oddworld games on PSone and this is pretty damn close to those. Having a good time with it. Really nice looking game too. I've always loved the Oddworld Aesthetic.

A LOT of people didn't like the game, due to the Dragon Engine cutting down the combat significantly from 0 (you go from 8 fighting styles down to one, with no weapons to boot). People don't care that the quality is still good, they just wanted quantity, even though 0's quality was fairly-shitty (again, truly, only 3/4 of the 8 styles were actually useful/fun/good-enough).

Then, if you want to see horrible takes on the story and the reasoning people use, take a look at Salty Yen's recordings/translation of the game on YT; just awful takes and he seemingly has a band of followers that hang on his every word.

The 'mue crowd (us) tend to really love the entirety of the game though, so we have good taste ;)

I'm play Cosmic Star Heroine.

It's essentially a homage to Chrono Trigger and Phantasy Star. The combat system is interesting, and it's devoid of the random encounter system. (You can choose to fight old enemies for grinding purposes.)

Hitman.

Idk which one. Just got it free in Epic a while ago. I love stealth but never played this series, so I should love it.

Try as I might, I didn’t finish Spiritfarer before Nier remake came. I think I could technically go to the end right now but I want to try and 100% it.

Nier has been just as fun as I remembered...even if it was a little weird to get used to the different nuances at first, and just not liking the voice actor they got for the young protagonist unfortunately. I kinda miss how the old dodge roll worked as well.
Sadly ran into spoilers for some new stuff so I’m trying to finish it sooner but been having to work 11-12 hour shifts. I get my 2nd shot next week so maybe I can manage to play while sick.

Back