What are you playing?

(y)Yeah man, I was a huge SNK nut back in the day. I even posted on the neogeo.com forums in the very early 2000s. Spent an unhealthy amount of time on that site...
Terminator is a great AA game with more love than money poured into it, very much like Shenmue III. Gotta support those AA experiences they are so few and far between these days.

My face of all the Terminator games is the Mega CD one though,that soundtrack is tight 😁

psychonauts 2 is a great looking game and fun in places but not something I can play non stop. It's just so wacky it hurts my brain.

I think I'm about half way through the game.

Been playing both MGS and its remake again, this time side by side to really compare. I can understand why some prefer the original in some ways, but man…I feel a lot of the voice acting is better, especially recasting Grey Fox, aside from maybe Snake himself, but it’s sort of a case where in the original he had some strong and not so great parts and in the remake he’s kinda just going through the motions. Things like being able to aim in first person, hanging over railings, even just lockers or rolling…they might technically make it easier but they all seem like such obvious concepts to me that were missing from the original. Lastly there’s the cutscenes, some are really out there but tbh comparing to things like the final boss in mgs4 or most anything Raiden does, I feel a lot of it fits ok.

Outside of playing the MGS 2 tanker demo (which I put up there with Shenmue in terms of blowing my mind what visual quality video games could achieve), my first fledged experience was playing the inferior port of 2 on the Xbox.

I was a huge Nintendo fan at the time and Gameucube was my system of choice so I couldn’t be happier to play Twin Snakes and experience story of first game. Yes those additions, especially after 2 were welcome but the maps, levels and boss battles weren’t adjusted to compensate for the new abilities.

I was still a teenager at the time and thought Kitamura’s directed cut scenes were the greatest thing. While they are nicely choreographed for most scenes involving Grey Fox, the constant flipping, jumping and over use of bullet time were even grating at the time and have not aged well. In comparison I feel MGS 2-3 cinematics still hold up very well.

Outside of playing the MGS 2 tanker demo (which I put up there with Shenmue in terms of blowing my mind what visual quality video games could achieve), my first fledged experience was playing the inferior port of 2 on the Xbox.

I was a huge Nintendo fan at the time and Gameucube was my system of choice so I couldn’t be happier to play Twin Snakes and experience story of first game. Yes those additions, especially after 2 were welcome but the maps, levels and boss battles weren’t adjusted to compensate for the new abilities.

I was still a teenager at the time and thought Kitamura’s directed cut scenes were the greatest thing. While they are nicely choreographed for most scenes involving Grey Fox, the constant flipping, jumping and over use of bullet time were even grating at the time and have not aged well. In comparison I feel MGS 2-3 cinematics still hold up very well.
Gamecube was imo the last beautiful console. The miniDVDs :love:...
As for Twin Snakes, there was initial criticism with some Matrix acrobatics and such but time has passed and made it better.
Its a great remake. I still play mgs2 tank demo but not touche full 2 since the days because it felt bad antigame. The only game which turned hot gamepad into cold during cutscenes. But thankfully we then got Snake Eater,the best episode to me. Still too long cutscenes but gameplay segments are bigger than those of 2.

i completed mgs twin snakes only once on the gamecube and that was back in 2004. the game engine (ps2?) looks great.

my only 1 complaint was that the first person view made the game way to easy... other than that, the game seemed fine. kinda sucks twin snakes is locked on gamecube, i would happily rebuy it.

..regarding all the hype around the mgs1 remake, maybe it's just me but i don't understand why we need it. the twin snakes game is good enough.

i completed mgs twin snakes only once on the gamecube and that was back in 2004. the game engine (ps2?) looks great.

my only 1 complaint was that the first person view made the game way to easy... other than that, the game seemed fine. kinda sucks twin snakes is locked on gamecube, i would happily rebuy it.

..regarding all the hype around the mgs1 remake, maybe it's just me but i don't understand why we need it. the twin snakes game is good enough.
Twin Snakes is a Gamecube exclusive. I was a big MGS fan and didn't get the chance to play it. Also, from what I've seen the direction of that game takes a weird quirky twist with over the top cut scenes and humour.

I would welcome a remake with a big focus on quality over quantity; so keeping the map size, game length etc. Also, retcon all the mistakes and find a new motivation for Liquid Snake hating Solid because being mad over getting "recessive genes" makes no sense when recessive genes are not inherently bad.

find a new motivation for Liquid Snake hating Solid because being mad over getting "recessive genes" makes no sense when recessive genes are not inherently bad.
Subscribing. Even back then that plot ehrm twist sound too much Julius & Vincent, from movie Twins (1988). But take in account that Liquid had all recesive genes and not just a few and that seems to be bad = prone to illness (there's controversy though). However that genetic/cloning motivation is simply too much late 90s

The hype around the MGS remake is hot air. Hot air since 2018. I do not know why people still people that rumors that just do not want to quit.

I prefer the original over MGS TTS, to be honest, but TTS is still a good game. I do not mind the over-the-top cut scenes that much, the only real drawback of that game is the music placement and the voice acting. It is a bit better than the original.

An updated MGS remake would be a 2 edged sword for me. If they remain faithful to the original without omitting any music and other important stuff it would be great.

But remakes are prone to omit such things. That's why I do not really need them. Even better remakes such as the RE 2 and Re 3 Remake omit things from the originals that made the games great.

I just realized they wouldn’t be able to use the iconic MGS themed would they? I believe because of the lawsuit that’s why it was omitted in MGS 4 when returning to Shadow Mosses and I assume without a hearty royalty check same would apply now.

Twin Snakes ... Oof! Sorry, it's a no from me guys! While I love MGS 2's inovation in regards to gameplay, the style and tone of TW ruins the immersion completely. Also, the voice acting in MGS1 is perfect, just hearing it done again in a quirky manner rubs me the wrong way. If they did a remaster of TS I would try it again for sure but nothing can replace the original for me.

Oh! And I started SIFU last night:
SIFUSHELF.JPG
Got my ass handed to me by the 2nd boss! I'm going to restart the game on Easy as I can already tell this game is going to get frustrating. Beyond the difficulty everything else seems fantastic! Digging the games art direction and the budget is certainly up there for a Beat Em up. Which there was a lock-on system As I findm I'm often not able to hit and enemy in a differect direction quick enough.I'm hoping Easy Mode is overall more bareable as I just want to enjoy the experience.

I just realized they wouldn’t be able to use the iconic MGS themed would they? I believe because of the lawsuit that’s why it was omitted in MGS 4 when returning to Shadow Mosses and I assume without a hearty royalty check same would apply now.

Not a lawsuit. The theme sounded similar to something a obscure soviet companist made many years ago and Kojima just gave up. He did not even try save it. Which is weird. That guy is willing to pay a stupid actor for his MGS 5 PR stunt but did not even try to save the theme. Well that's typcial for crazy hideo.

So it is unlikely Konami is ever going to pay to get the theme back. If they wanted to it they would have done it right after the russians have appeard. Maybe they did just want Konami to remove it and were not interested in money I do not know.

I just found the indifference from Kojima about that icon theme schocking. It was important part of the overal vibe of the MGS series.

@Vivi-gamer The voice acting sounds more motivated in the original and that's the reason why I like more than the TTS version.

Non the less the TTS voice acting is closer to the original meaning of the script. The translation of Jeremy Blaustein is different and not that close to the original script in some points.

Last edited:
/\ cool clip.

regarding language .. because the ps3 is region free, many years ago i did look into buying the japanese versions of mgs1, mgs HD collection and mgs4. like shenmue, i thought it would be pretty cool to hear Japanese voice actors ( which would probably change the tone of the games) but unfortunately the games don't have english subtitles as an option.

i recently heard the mgs HD collection and mgs4 is still not back up for sale digitally. I wouldn't be surprised if Konami has given up on them + the physical copies are going to go up in price.

Yes it might be the hd collection will be lost forever digtally. I am really glad that I got copy for my ps3 and also copy of the 360 version.

Playing MGS in Japanese gives the game indeed a different vibe. I have not played MGS 2,3 or 4 in Japanse but I finished MGS 1 once in Japanese. I have the japanese version of MGS Integral in my collection.

Reactions: red
Back