What are you playing?

Shadow of the Colossus: I am replaying the Bluepoint remake on PS5. I noted some users said there were some odd streaming issues which I saw a couple of times. I should note that the remake on PS4 was my first experience of SOTC and even though I appreciate there are some artistic liberties taken, especially for purists it quickly became one of my favourite games. The sense of scale is truly majestic.

I think equally as impressive is how the fanbase has continued to sort through beta versions and make discoveries about the game and content. It's a game that encourages that type of deep examination like Shenmue.

Man I’ve been playing so much lately. And still I feel there’s just never enough time for everything.

Had started replaying the mgs series and many of Grasshopper’s games side by side. Even just after going through the two versions of mgs1 and then Sons of Liberty, it’s surprising I’m burnt out already on them and I’m not even motivated to play my favorite, Snake Eater. Maybe sometime soon.

In comparison it’s been easier to go through GHM games just because of the variety. Started out with my least favorite ones, Lollipop Chainsaw and Shadows of the Damned, and feel I have a new appreciation for them. LC, maybe not quite as much, I love the style and characters and silly writing and all, but I still feel a lot of the gameplay is kind of jank and gets worse as more features are added. In contrast, probably because I have far more experience now, SotD was not quite as difficult as I found it years ago, and with the context of the details about its troubled development now as well as the level in Travis Strikes Again, I kinda get the feeling Suda managed to get at least some meta narrative now where Paula and her repeated deaths represent the many iterations of the project, Fleming is EA and Garcia is Suda feeling guilt for basically sacrificing this idea just to publish it. At least that’s my take now.

For Killer is Dead, I’m a bit surprised my feelings on it haven’t changed too much on it…maybe a little deeper, but not by much. Likely because it’s more fresh in my memory, and after getting all the achievements in the 360 version I didn’t feel the drive to do it again in this PC release. It runs very smoothly but unfortunately had to deal with some annoying crashes until I found a fix on the steam forums. I enjoyed it a lot otherwise, but just by virtue of very obviously being a spiritual successor to Killer7, it kind of falls short in many regards unfortunately. It feels a bit forced and not quite as unique in comparison.

Before I go into Killer7 again itself I’ve decided to play through the No More Heroes remake on ps3 again. I’d just played the first two games on Switch as well as the spin-off just before 3 came out, but for some reason feel compelled to play the first one again. I really don’t know why because I don’t think this version is all that great save for some of the jobs that were added. Funny thing is even though I’ve already got the platinum, the trophies are popping up again and I have no idea why.

Something also made me want to play through the Red Dead games again. First one has just stuck in my memory so well after going through it maybe 3 times already, though this is the first time I think I’ve done all stranger missions. The California one I think is probably the saddest and even the most relatable, just losing sight of such a simple goal after so long.

Really happy I’ve got the sequel to work on my laptop, mostly high settings and ultra textures. The first time I played I certainly took a while to get through it but still felt a rush to finish it before I saw spoilers or had to go back to work lol. Now I’m actually taking my time to explore and do and find more stuff, even just to hang out at camp and in towns. The first game is great and in a lot of ways I appreciate its simplicity, but the second one just adds so much more that it almost feels like it could be a Shenmue in the wild west. I get the same feeling I do from Banjo-Tooie or Pokémon Gold or Majora’s Mask, where they just took the great stuff from their predecessors and just expanded on it exponentially. I’m not far in but feel like I’ve already done so much more.

Edit:
Forgot to mention I’m also going through Undead Nightmare for my first time…well, I’d started it before, but never got too far, probably the whole thing with the Sasquatch and the zombies in cochinay freaked me out as a youngin lol. Even now it kinda makes me feel the same way Fatal Frame 5 did for me some months ago. Never went back to clear the Ayane part…

It’s still been fun, and it’s more of a goofy kind of setup, but some parts do seem to come off as more serious which maybe makes me take it more seriously in turn. And just knowing it only takes one or two mistakes to really mess up here is the worst. RDR2 is creepier than the first for sure, and I know the first game too well by now, but even going through tall trees just with the music in the main game creeps me out still. So I guess I should be glad I’m down in Mexico now in Undead Nightmare, maybe close to the end.

So far I’m enjoying it for the most part, the only thing I really don’t like is the micromanaging of the settlements…really just wish it was permanent. But I guess they have to give it longevity somehow for completionists. Thing is, after so many and the waves seemingly getting longer, I’ve let a few just get overrun and lost survivors which only kinda demoralized me. Doesn’t help I’ve taken to just making rounds on the fire horse during these instead of wasting all my ammo, that’s my fault for taking the slow cheap way but still.

Last edited:
At the moment I am trying out some games form the playstation plus premium games. I played Toy story 2 a bit which is quite a funny ps1 jump and run. Jump and Runs are not my forte but I still enjoy the game so far. It catches the atmosphere of the movie very well. Using some clips from the movie is also a nice addition.

I also started to play Disaster Report 4: Summer Memories. A interesting game that has some Shenmue vibes for sure. But of course much less sophisticated than Shenmue 1 and 2 despite the game is much older.
It is still an enjoyable game for sure.

With only so long left until I have to return to work, I’ve been binging some games I’ve either yet to play or finish.

I played the first few Serious Sam games back on the 360, they were fun but kinda got burned out on them. I decided to try out the fourth one and finished it just this morning. It’s got it’s issues, especially at the start, but overall I really enjoyed it, and it ended just as it felt like it was becoming too repetitive. I guess the main draws for me is it being a bit like EDF, and although the story is a bit campy, I did get a bit invested enough to keep going. Having short little side missions was also kind of interesting for a straight FPS. I might try the others again eventually but for now I’m all good.

May try and finish EDF World Brothers as I only played that one very briefly. Also finally got the English version of Kiwami 2 so I think I’ll try and get that one done as well.

Inscryption. Im scared. The game is messing with my sleep hours, hearing the bosses themes in my mind. And when close my eyes I can see the cards, like projected inside my lids. The endless Kaycee Mode got me. Help.

I've been going through some games on the switch since I was officially donated an older model by a cousin who "upgraded" to an OLED switch.

Trying out some new some old, here's a couple I've demo'ed/playing try out so far:

I had quite a bit of fun playing Ninja Turtles Shredder's Revenge. I got it digitally on Switch and have a physical LRG copy preordered for PS4. Beyond that, I also picked up Deliver Us the Moon (PS5) but really haven't had time to start playing it. I think I got to the actual rocket to get to the moon but haven't taken off yet.

Sadly, my gaming time is just... almost non-existent. I make exceptions to play games with my kids and friends forcing myself to find time to play with friends. Kiddo game time comes naturally as I'm already spending time with them.

I had quite a bit of fun playing Ninja Turtles Shredder's Revenge. I got it digitally on Switch and have a physical LRG copy preordered for PS4. Beyond that, I also picked up Deliver Us the Moon (PS5) but really haven't had time to start playing it. I think I got to the actual rocket to get to the moon but haven't taken off yet.

Sadly, my gaming time is just... almost non-existent. I make exceptions to play games with my kids and friends forcing myself to find time to play with friends. Kiddo game time comes naturally as I'm already spending time with them.
i played a bit of ninja turtles on game pass.

im working my way through gears 5 at the moment. i played gears 4 before that. ( i missed them both last gen) i'm not a big gears of war fan but there easy going games.

i'm planning to play hellblade next. (xbox game pass).

Kiwami 2 you should burn through the story in no time, Heartland.

If you do the side stuff, you won't get it done in time ;)
I’m thinking you may be right, though I did manage to do a handful of really short sidequests so far. I recall playing through the Japanese version was really short, so much so I was taken by surprise it ended when it did, but now I’ll actually be able to understand it at least so it may take me a bit more time. Apparently job expects me back July 18 so that’s good I have another week(though with a doctors note may not be until August 3rd…hope to fix that) so maybe I can rush through it. Sadly going back a day before Stray comes out, really wanted to be able to take my time with that game instead of just on the weekends.

But anyway, I’ve gotten just past Kiryu meeting Ryuji and it’s a fun scene but I think I can understand your stance on the story in this game…it almost comes off like Solid and Liquid Snake, wonder if that was the inspiration lol. But I guess I’ll see. Come to think of it I still never got far in the first Kiwami, got to the last few chapters in 0, never finished 5 and should get that one on steam too. I do wanna go through 6 again. I got 7, and now have to decide if I want to finish my PS4 file or start over on here instead….but that definitely won’t be done in one week.

Had forgotten the Klonoa remake was out until I watched Okayu stream some of it, so I decided I’d try it out. I never finished either of them, only have very brief memories of what seems to be the first boss and I think the villain especially left an impression on me to make it as memorable as it was. I remember feeling like it was a bit like Kirby 64, so playing it now I realize it’s more different but I’m surprised there’s more comparisons to Sonic for some reason.

So I beat them both yesterday and the day before. Not terribly long games but to be honest I felt the second game dragged a bit with a lot of its reused levels, and even the first I didn’t really enjoy its last one. Still overall enjoyable experiences, even if I could nitpick some of the mechanics and story beats a bit. The art direction is still probably my favorite part aside from some really not great npc designs lol. It was enough to make me try some fanart.

55FF5281-5E14-4AB6-8EFC-8FE009651C6A.jpeg

Lastly I’ve been playing this game called Blue Fire. I’d heard about it on some channel that reviews stuff loosely resembling Dark Souls…I guess the atmosphere is kind of there, but it reminds me more of Zelda, mixed with some Hat in Time platforming (there’s even a hat kid dance emote you can find) but I think I’d almost rather it be this way. Thing is, comparing it to the last Zelda clone I played, Tunic, I think it kind of falls short. Might not be fair to compare I guess, really going for different stuff, but I suppose it’s harder to impress me now in general. Still a fun game so far, but it’s just 3D platformer Zelda if it was only dungeons and no downtime between them unfortunately.

Honestly, if they just focused on Ryuji trying to take over Omi and didn't involve the Jingweon stuff with Sayama, it would've made for a great game... but again, stuff was shoehorned in to try and make the absolutely asinine twists and swerves make sense. Gah! lol

I did beat Clockwork Knight 2 (MUCH better than the first game) on the weekend so now have nothing to play!

Well I tried to play Dusk Diver, the Personakuza that recommended here, but couldnt. It just seems like a cheap Persona, and knowing soon I'm gonna have P5Royale in pc gamepass...

So I bought Crash insane trilogy

I've been enjoying some oldies lately. Recommended by platform:
PC)
- Hollywood Monsters (I love it, its childhood. IDK if there's english release though... the spiritual sequel/remake does)
- The X-Files: The Game (You can be an asshole to everyone here, it's awesome)

PS2)
- Deep Water (Giant tentacles try to grab you. Sharks. Harpoons. What else do you need)
- Sub Rebellion (Excellent sequel to In The Hunt)

PSX)
- Bloodlines (Simple multiplayer fun. Press button to insult rival)
- Destrega (Similar than above)
- G Darius (Its Darius. Had the OPSM demo and almost burned it)
- Pepsiman (Love the aesthetics)
- Top Shop (Funny and family friendly)
- Vanark (Cheap but competent Panzer Dragoon Saga clone)

Extra (unintentional? wrong cover design/ladies & gentleman, the 90s)
front.jpg

Last edited:
I can remembering me about Hollywood Monsters, it was in a german PC-Magazine.
I playing Nightmare Reaper in the moment and it's hard. I'm in the Flesh Pits Part 3 and i can just continue with Button-smashing sometimes ^^

Been playing two different games recently.

Heard some vaguely good things about Neon White, wasn’t sure whether I’d like it from what I saw but glad I decided to try it. About maybe half way through? Challenge seems to be ramping up but that’s fine, seems really fun and stylish. Knew it reminded me of Grasshopper’s work and guess I was right with the devs referencing Killer7. Only thing is I feel some of the story and characterization is a bit more “juvenile” for lack of a better term…or maybe it’s just that the main guy seems so out of character compared to the ones Steve Blum usually plays lol. But we’ll see how it ends soon I hope.

The other is Stray. Unironically one of my most anticipated games. Sadly due to work I’ve had to try to avoid spoilers the past few days but finally beat it. Guess everyone else who complains about the short length must not have jobs because I really appreciate when a game does end up wasting my time with nonsense. Not that there aren’t good big games, but I could see how an indie dev would have to cut corners to make a big world with plenty of “content”.

As it was, despite initial impressions from the first trailer, I came to expect Last Guardian vibes and for the most part I’m happy with that. Definitely smaller scale and more focus on other characters but a similar design philosophy I think, and I’d say it’s all the better for it. So far this year I would put Kirby and Tunic as my favorites but Stray is not a far off third. Neon White might pick up, and who knows about Bayonetta 3 - looks good but worried about micro transactions since they’ve been acquired by a scummy company.

I don't play much during the summer but turned my Switch on last night. Picked up where I left off in Kirby and the Forgotten Land land also downloaded Sonic Origins and started Sonic CD, which is the one I've never played. Love the psychedelic vibes its levels put off, and Kirby is just beyond adorable and relaxing to play.

I’ve been playing quite a few games, I picked up Sonic Colours Ultimate and Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania and had a blast. Colours Ultimate is not as bad as I expected it to be based on what I’ve heard, the only thing that bugs me is the bloom lighting looks a little off. I love being able to replay games a few years later on modern consoles, even if they do have their issues.

I also started playing Stray. I‘m really enjoying it so far, it does remind me of a more streamlined Shenmue experience where you just want to explore every nook and cranny of the world. The only downside is that I can only play it in half-hour sessions, since I find the camera controls make me motion sick. :( I don’t know why, but I can play older games like Shenmue or Sonic Adventure for hours at a time without feeling sick but as soon as it’s a modern game I can’t handle it.

Back