What cancelled game do you still think about?

Rakim

なんまいだー
I randomly remembered that game The Agent that Rockstar announced a million years ago and googled to see if anything ever came of it, but sadly they seem to have abandoned the idea. I would have loved to have a cold war spy game with Rockstar level quality. My imagine still goes wild thinking of how fun that could be.

What other announced games that never got to see the light of day do you long for?

Damn, you just made me remember The Agent, too. Luckiuly, nothing at all remotely came from it, so I don't mind too much.

Dreamcast Zip Drive, VMU MP3 (would've been pretty cool and similar style/convenience as iPod) Propeller Arena, Toe Jam and Earl DC, RE2 Saturn (especially if it was actually RE1.5), Progenitor RE4 and Hook Ghost RE4, Agartha... will add more later as I recall them...

Most obvious, of course: Shenmue lll Dreamcast.

B.C. for the original Xbox sounded really innovative at the time. Now I guess we have something similar in B.C., and WiLD from Michel Ancel and Ancestors both seem to be in the same vein as well.

That Ragtag Star Wars game sounded dope. Still, reminds me of this:

Resident Evil games... RE 1.5 and its various iterations, can't help but wonder what that version would have been like. And then you have the different versions of 4 that were planned (and even some footage exists before it became the awesome game it is today). The hook man/smoke monster and more super natural side looked awesome, and honestly the plot sounded better than what we got with the actual RE4.
Then you have stuff like the cancelled Capcom crossover fighter (the name escapes me) that was proper 3D and had the likes of Ryu, Poison, Strider, Mike Haggar, Adon, Nash (I think?) etc. all in one game. Still wish that one got finished...
Sticking with Capcom, it had a Legendary Wings reboot planned as part of the Capcom 5 but that was cancelled :(

Oh, and Mega Man Legends 3... that one still stings ;(

And, despite it coming for PS4, I still think of the original Saturn and DC versions of Shenmue 3/sequels. Just can't help but wonder what could have been if the series didn't die for a couple of decades...

I'm still extremely bitter that we'll never, ever receive a Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 3.

The game's concept sounded so rad! You're following Darth Revan's trail into the Unknown Regions and stumble upon planets inhabited by an ancient order of Sith described as being far more hideous and ferocious than anything we've seen in the films so far.

Unfortunately, its never going to happen now what with Disney's canon re-write. Most likely we'll get yet another bland, soulless reboot which EA will pump a shitload of micro-transactions into.

Maybe the stars might just align like they did with Shenmue 3 and Lucasfilm could consider letting the original KOTOR 3 be made while slapping a 'Legends' banner on the box as part of the separate continuity. That would make me very happy!

... then you have the different versions of 4 that were planned (and even some footage exists before it became the awesome game it is today). The hook man/smoke monster and more super natural side looked awesome, and honestly the plot sounded better than what we got with the actual RE4.

Oh, and Mega Man Legends 3... that one still stings ;(

Crap, can't believe I forgot about MML3!!

The ghost hook RE4 didn't have a story reveal yet before cancellation--only a gameplay reel--or perhaps if memory serves it was said to already be using something about saving President's daughter?
Also, the only legit cinematic trailer for RE4 we got was the progenitor virus version. They eventually used it in RE5, so maybe it wouldn't have been so great or better than what we got, anyway. Looked amazing and tense because it was solitary and spooky, rather than 'splodey action like RE5 became, but still don't think i would like the blob battles anymroe than I did with Chris (i didn't much care for them; great game and cool plot, but definitely stale play. No need to play RE6 regardless of the bad reception).

Sonic Xtreme, Scud Race for DC, Half-Life for DC, Dead or Alive Code Chronos
I don't really think about these games in any regular fashion but they came to my head right away reading this topic.

Xtreme is more a case of looking back, the images hitting the magazines were before the time I actively followed any gaming media whatsoever. It is still a tragic story without being "directly involved". Even though I only got a Saturn in 97 I still felt the lack of Sonic on the system.

The two DC games I remember being shown here and there. Scud Race was amoung the very early days of the system. Just the screenshots made me dig it. Half-Life of course, was at the tail end. Just like Propeller Arena it was pretty much done and it sucked that such a high profile title got its plugs pulled at the last minute.

DoA Code Chronos is kind of a weird one. I don't think anything beyond the name was ever shown. I was kinda into the series at the time and this was after Ninja Gaiden came out. So I expected something like that just with Ayane. I held thoughts about this title for years and years until I finally found out it got canceled.

Then you have stuff like the cancelled Capcom crossover fighter (the name escapes me) that was proper 3D and had the likes of Ryu, Poison, Strider, Mike Haggar, Adon, Nash (I think?) etc. all in one game. Still wish that one got finished...
Sticking with Capcom, it had a Legendary Wings reboot planned as part of the Capcom 5 but that was cancelled :(

Capcom Fighting All-Stars!

Oh, Hell yes!

I miss No Cliché :(

For me, Propeller Arena all day, every day; thankfully I got the fully-working (and professionally-done, even if not official) disc back in 2007.

Still one of my favourite games ever and I rock at it ;)

Crap, can't believe I forgot about MML3!!

The ghost hook RE4 didn't have a story reveal yet before cancellation--only a gameplay reel--or perhaps if memory serves it was said to already be using something about saving President's daughter?
Also, the only legit cinematic trailer for RE4 we got was the progenitor virus version. They eventually used it in RE5, so maybe it wouldn't have been so great or better than what we got, anyway. Looked amazing and tense because it was solitary and spooky, rather than 'splodey action like RE5 became, but still don't think i would like the blob battles anymroe than I did with Chris (i didn't much care for them; great game and cool plot, but definitely stale play. No need to play RE6 regardless of the bad reception).
Leon was going after Umbrella in one version of 4. It was going to be the game to finish the main plot. I forget which one as the 4 versions of 4 kinda blur between one another for me now... But I remember being disappointed by Umbrella being taken out by shareholders and not a sequel!

Leon was going after Umbrella in one version of 4. It was going to be the game to finish the main plot. I forget which one as the 4 versions of 4 kinda blur between one another for me now... But I remember being disappointed by Umbrella being taken out by shareholders and not a sequel!

Pretty sure the RE4 version of progenitor was going after Umbrella. The unsettling, palpable spookiness from the trailer was because of Leon infiltrating their other HQ in Europe solo to follow up on Claire and Chris taking down the Ashfords in France/Antarctica.
Although I agree I was turned off by removing Umbrella way back then, too, the inclusion of Ada and Wesker was enough for me. And there was enough closure in RE5, too. Wesker was essentially the only cool thing leftover about Umbrella. Also, Salazar and Sadler were good little puppets of Wesker introduced into plot to round-out the grand scheme of the overarching coglomerate (Ashford/Spencer/Illuminados). Again-- loved the story and closure of RE5, great duology with RE4--the gameplay was fun, but a bit old by the middle of the game.

Last edited:
Not a particular game, but a series - the Interstate series. Interstate '76 and Interstate '82. It was the basis for the spinoff series Vigilante 8, and was more simulation-oriented with an elaborate storyline and cutscenes. They made it clear even before '82 came out that Activision would not be continuing the series, unfortunately. I hope some day it can be rebooted.

luckily shenmue 3 is off that list now but most of the games i would of liked to have seen, i dont believe even get past the drawing board, like alan wake 2, the ww2 era mgs, metal gear solid rising 2, messiah (2000) console port.

a bit off topic but im a bit more pissed off about movies getting cancelled because they normally complete a full story (tron3, hellboy 3, alien awakening etc)

RE2 Saturn
First thing I thought of when I saw this topic, I have so much love for that console. :love:
I'm still extremely bitter that we'll never, ever receive a Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 3.
Has it been completely ruled out? Because of EU being renounced maybe? I never completed the first one (kept crashing on my PC at the time) but I really enjoyed the second game and played the Old Republic Online for a couple of weeks with some mates when it was released.
Silent Hills
It's a shame but I'd likely have been too much of a shite bag to play it anyway.
RE 1.5 and its various iterations, can't help but wonder what that version would have been like.
Pretty shit by most accounts, from what I've played/read/seen I think Shinji Mikami summed it up nicely “no one element was specifically boring, just everything as a whole.”

I understand the allure of it as a kind of RE Holy Grail but honestly I'm so glad they scrapped it and went back to the drawing board.

Has it been completely ruled out? Because of EU being renounced maybe?
Pretty much. Lucasfilm seem to be far more preoccupied these days with building up their new canon which they created back in 2014 after re-branding the previous EU as "Legends" which the original KOTOR games were a part of.

But if Shenmue 3 has taught me anything, its that anything is possible. Perhaps once Lucasfilm have wrapped up the Sequel Trilogy and fattened up their new canon quite a bit, they might consider going back and creating some new material for the Legends universe, KOTOR 3 included. Hopefully!

Psy-Phi. It was a game Suzuki wanted to make

From what Yu Suzuki said about it, it sounded like it got at least to an advanced testing phase, because he said the issue was that people's fingers got too heated up from the large touchscreen. Surely now it could be adapted to phones and tablets. Plus I think I've seen footage of other touchscreen arcade games in recent years. I think it was just another idea that was slightly ahead of its time.

Eternal Darkness 2, but with Denis Dyack in the creative side of the game only because I don't trust him in the director's chair.
His crowdfunded attempt at a spiritual sequel years ago tanked probably because no one would put money on it with Dyack in charge of the project.

I loved Metro Cross, so when I heard Namco were making Aero Cross as part of their Namco Generations line (alongside Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+ and Galaga Legions DX, both of which are amazing games) I was really excited. Unfortunately, it was never released.

Back