What cancelled game do you still think about?

I do vaguely remember that. It just shows he was ahead of his time (granted touchscreens still existed but mostly used for ATMS). His game could her once again certainly have been a unique first

A huge factor to all this is that Suzuki likes to take his game concept base on technology outside the game industry thus bringing in new tech and trends of play as well as usually the first to pioneer and create something unique. The saying "Thinking outside the box" fits him perfectly.

The Wolf Among Us Season 2
Duke Nukem Forever (original version)
Splinter Cell: Conviction (original version)
Shenmue III (original version)
Shenmue Online
Sonic Chronicles 2

Very rarely though.

What was the drastic change?

They were goin for a social stealth game, with Sam looking like a man on the run rather than an action stealth game where he looked like a film star.

They were goin for a social stealth game, with Sam looking like a man on the run rather than an action stealth game where he looked like a film star.
I really liked the sound of the initial pitch. I enjoyed the final version. Well, mostly but the story was just plain silly. A pity as the first few games in the series were fantastic. Now Ubi focus on Assassins Creed as their big stealth series and the problem there is the stealth sucks in those games :( The original games still hold up really well though.

The big blue, spiritual successor to Ecco the dolphin. The kickstarter failed.
I wish they would give it another shot with a new Ecco game (on PS5 maybe) ?

What are some games that were cancelled that you were hoping would be released? I have two that come to mind right now: The Unseen for original Xbox in 2002, which I was reminded of recently when looking into a promotional booklet that would come inside many original Xbox games, in this same booklet is Shenmue 2 before its release and I remember The Unseen looking interesting. The other is Dead or Alive: Code Chronos. Code Chronos had a chance to really elaborate on the story of the franchises two main (and most important) characters. It's something I hope they would bring forth at some point, especially with the Ninja Gaiden director saying he would like to make an all female version of NG, that would be a perfect way to tell the Code Chronos story perhaps.

I know that game came out another plattform I would have really loved to experience it on the N64

The concept of DOA Chronus also sounds interesting. Would have loved to played it. The original Shenmue 3 that was maybe planned for the Dreamcast would also be nice to experience.

Agetha would be another unreleased Dreamcast game I would have loved to play. Same goes for the canceled Dreamcast Castlevania.

Planet of the Apes for Dreamcast had me hyped despite barely showing even a teaser.

Shenmue Online. I think the game cost Sega at least 30 million dollars in vain, and if I remember correctly according to a former employee of Shenmue Online's publisher in Taiwan the game was already finished, but Yu and some team members weren't satisfied with the quality despite the game had been completely reworked twice or three times, and Sega really couldn't put endless money and resources on it, so the result was the cancellation of the game, which directly led to Yu Suzuki’s departure from Sega (also the foundation of YS Net) and Sega's abandonment of the Shenmue series. Basically Shenmue Online's cancellation just killed Shenmue.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head
  1. fucking Silent Hills
  2. The Wolf Among Us 2
I also used to think about Shenmue 1.5: The Boat.
Wait, what? Is The Wolf Among Us 2 cancelled? I saw a trailer like 2 years ago, should be released soon.

^ I think it was revived sometime after I posted this. Which is awesome news.

Now, if only Silent Hills would come out...
(Didn't some hacker...hack... the PT demo to find a good portion of the city (ie Silent Hill) basically mapped out and ready to go ?! It looked really impressive, and incredibly ominous given its half-completed nature.)

Edit: found it:

It is not game that I was thinking about until recently because I did not it exist at all until a few days ago but I think that title looks promising and it is a pity that it did not came out.

A superman game in that style would be really cool thing.

It wasn’t outright cancelled but I sometimes think about what ‘Shadows of the Damned’ could have been considering its role in a more recent Grasshopper game. It seems that while it may have been a personal disappointment to Suda himself, he realizes that many people still loved it. Even so, the original concepts sound way more interesting to me and are one of my main sources of inspiration right now.

Similarly there’s Metal Gear Rising and the shift in the development for it. Not quite so drastic, but I still would have liked to see a more slow paced and methodical ninja game. Initially I was pretty disappointed in its lack of stealth, and overall there’s stuff that I kind of dread whenever I replay it, but overall I enjoy it more now. No Bayonetta, certainly no God Hand, not even MadWorkd, but fun. In retrospect maybe I should be glad though that Kojima and his folks didn’t ruin it all.

Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun.

Big Soul Reaver/ LOK fan over here; I was saddened when I heard of this cancelled project years ago.
It's been such a long time since the last entry; as a fan of single-player games, I'd love to see this series raised from the dead.

Back