What cancelled game do you still think about?

The original concept for the critically panned Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness.

The project was too ambitious for its own good. Four locations had been planned: the criminal underworld of Paris, a Resident Evil-inspired bio-research facility in Prague, an alchemist's gothic castle in Germany, and the tombs of fallen angels in Turkey.

Murti Schofield, largely inspired by Lovecraftian horror, penned an ambitious storyline with tonnes of backstory in the hopes of kicking off a trilogy. Meanwhile, CORE Design built things physically impossible for the PS2 to handle and ended up binning 50% of their work as they hacked the game apart to meet its 2003 deadline which resulted in just the buggy and broken Paris and Prague sections to be semi-realised to scathing reviews.

As a Tomb Raider fan, I hope this unfinished game will one day be given the remake treatment.

The original concept for the critically panned Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness.

The project was too ambitious for its own good. Four locations had been planned: the criminal underworld of Paris, a Resident Evil-inspired bio-research facility in Prague, an alchemist's gothic castle in Germany, and the tombs of fallen angels in Turkey.

Murti Schofield, largely inspired by Lovecraftian horror, penned an ambitious storyline with tonnes of backstory in the hopes of kicking off a trilogy. Meanwhile, CORE Design built things physically impossible for the PS2 to handle and ended up binning 50% of their work as they hacked the game apart to meet its 2003 deadline which resulted in just the buggy and broken Paris and Prague sections to be semi-realised to scathing reviews.

As a Tomb Raider fan, I hope this unfinished game will one day be given the remake treatment.
Sounds perfect for an episodic release format, in the same vein as the Hitman reboot.

There are a lot that have been mentioned here that I would list as well, like Starcraft: Ghost, PT, Star Wars 1313. I'd like to add "The Lost World: Jurassic Park" arcade game and "Star Wars Trilogy Arcade" on the Dreamcast.

@Tomato Convenience Store Did not know that Star Wars Triology Arcarde was planned for DC. it looks interesting and it is a loss the DC never got it.

Speaking about DC arcarde ports a port of Scud Race was also planned but eventually cancelled. Another loss if you ask me.

not really cancelled but sega has been pitched jet set radio 3 a few times and every time, they turn it down.
personally i think sega are mad. jet set radio 3 would of been awesome.

These games are the ones that I was the most sad to see cancelled:

1. Silent Hills
2. Scalebound
3. Star Wars 1313

I don't consider myself to be a Star Wars fan, but 1313 looked like an interesting fresh take on the franchise that immediately grabbed my interest. Scalebound was a really cool-looking action game with dragons and RPG elements. Silent Hills was of course the scariest game ever to be made if P.T. was anything to go by. It reminded me why I loved the original Team Silent games so much.

These games are the ones that I was the most sad to see cancelled:

1. Silent Hills
2. Scalebound
3. Star Wars 1313

I don't consider myself to be a Star Wars fan, but 1313 looked like an interesting fresh take on the franchise that immediately grabbed my interest. Scalebound was a really cool-looking action game with dragons and RPG elements. Silent Hills was of course the scariest game ever to be made if P.T. was anything to go by. It reminded me why I loved the original Team Silent games so much.
Star Wars 1313 did look intriguing. I wasn't quite as saddened as Silent Hills or LOK: Dead Sun, but I remember being disappointed. I think they canned it around the time Disney acquired Lucasfilm, or am I way off base here?

Actually...there is one more game I would add to my list:
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed III

Star Wars was in a pretty lousy place after the prequels ended (IMO). After years spent ignoring that franchise altogether, The Force Unleashed 1 made me a fan all over again.

3 more games come to my mind

could have been nice horror game. The combat system really looks promising

And as fan of the movies

that game could also have been rather cool

I know that this Indiana Jones game came out to certain extant but the original concept looked really cool. to bad it never come live

Star Wars 1313 did look intriguing. I wasn't quite as saddened as Silent Hills or LOK: Dead Sun, but I remember being disappointed. I think they canned it around the time Disney acquired Lucasfilm, or am I way off base here?
Yes, shortly after Disney acquired the SW franchise, 1313 was canned. Disney is just a terrible company overall in my opinion.

Obviously S3 on the DC and Shenmue Online, as well as Castlevania Resurrection (so weird we finally have a playable, albeit super, super early, build...), but beyond that...

Dead Sun, the Mega Man collection for the GameBoy games (since I grew up with those instead of the NES versions), Airworld (from the SwordQuest series), Capcom vs SNK 3... probably some others if I really thought about it. I'm sure some others pop into my head from time to time.

Does the Xbox port of Illbleed count? I'm pretty bummed that it's never seen any release after the Dreamcast.

Suikoden so they can do Suikoden IV justice with a modern remake. I wanna go sailing in the Island Nations/Kooluk empire/& dukedom of Gaien proper. The region was under-explored and rushed as heck. The ost/especially the OP is smooth as heck too.
Super old post, but totally agree with this. I know that IV is often accused of crippling the series, but I really liked it. I saw what they were going for, even if the execution and the technology lacked a bit (and Tactics really fleshed out the story; I almost always recommend playing the two together!).

Not really a game I have been thinking about a lot. To be frank I didn't even know it exist until recently like the rest of teh world .

But another Duke Nukem Game in third person like it originally was could have been quite good. Maybe.

For some reason I just thought about two games. The first is Faith And A .45. I wonder how that game would've turned out.

Another one off the top of my head is Eight Days.

Last edited:
Not really a game I have been thinking about a lot. To be frank I didn't even know it exist until recently like the rest of teh world .

But another Duke Nukem Game in third person like it originally was could have been quite good. Maybe.

i loved the ps1 games and i would of gone for a 3rd person duke nukem game but after duke nukem forever (2011), i very much doubt they could make a good D.N game.

Poor Duke. The downside to be a legend is that everyone wants a piece of you, and unless you're part of a large, stable company like Nintendo, they're gonna fight over you and everyone, especially the fans, lose out. But maybe now we can see the King make a triumphant return:

Faith and 45 looks interesting indeed. Nothing special per se just a third person shooter but I like the Art direction and the presentation of the action.

@ShinChuck Yes let's hope so. It would be cool if we would get another Duke Game.

I Speaking of Duke I have got another game for the thread

From the al the versions of DNF the e3 2001 version is still the best. A game I really think about from time to time

Will say, it's good to see that the end-game did have a lot of scenes and settings that were in that trailer, so it doesn't appear to be as, "off," as that originally was (but obviously, there is less of an emphasis on recycled enemies, as is in the endgame).

Back