What do you expect to be retconned

Just to comment on Ryo's stoicism: am I alone in kinda hoping his personality / temperament doesn't change much? I think they could add some depth to his dialogue of course but I personally like the idea of Ryo as this stoic, quiet, battled man set on his sights (kinda like mando's reserved, stoic demeanor. The mando can be emotionally distant and ice cold, but we can see and feel clear as day how much is in his heart at times) bit of random thoughts but I think y'all get what I'm saying
Yeah I think we are gonna get a Ryo with similar traits with characters like these from pop culture https://dev.mangajam.com/wp-content/uploads/part204/how_draw_jin_samurai_champloo_11.jpg
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/w...l_dixon.png/revision/latest?cb=20210920143445

The sad thing is, when I think of the majority of stoic characters in fiction they are usually the secondary lead or side character and the main character is the energetic one, so maybe you can keep Ryo's stoic quiet personality but he might need a larger than life companion throughout the series to play against Ryo's straight man. I guess you could alternate from Fuku-San to Goro to Guixang and then finally to Ren and Shenhua.

I'm actually quite intrigued there... what if Chai attempts to steal the mirror just as Ryo steps out from the basement--which also compromises dojo security and a family secret. Sort of like Ban finding the batcave in Dark Knight Rises.
I think that's exactly what will happen, but at the same time, what security? Lan-Di and a couple of goons literally just walked in, killed Iwao, and promptly left.

Chai won't really give a fuck about the basement or its contents other than the mirror. It's all he's there for, really. Well, that and a little murder, maybe.

I think that's exactly what will happen, but at the same time, what security? Lan-Di and a couple of goons literally just walked in, killed Iwao, and promptly left.

Chai won't really give a fuck about the basement or its contents other than the mirror. It's all he's there for, really. Well, that and a little murder, maybe.

Lan Di certainly did not know of the basement or else he might've had bigger suspicious of Iwao holding both mirrors. What if Chai intel lends to the bad ending being explored in parts of late stage Yokosuka anime episodes...?

Already so hyped...

Lan Di certainly did not know of the basement or else he might've had bigger suspicious of Iwao holding both mirrors. What if Chai intel lends to the bad ending being explored in parts of late stage Yokosuka anime episodes...?

Already so hyped...
I just meant the security tbh.

I haven't played 3 yet, so not sure about this, but "in-universe" Lan-Di probably does come across some evidence or revelation that reveals Iwao most likely has the Phoenix Mirror too. Chai is a logical source of that intel, so this change for the anime fits in perfectly.

Regarding the bad ending itself though, it feels more like a game design choice than carefully-plotted story element. They needed a time limit for both technical reasons and to get Ryo to Hong Kong and move things along. Lan-Di coming back to kill Ryo and collect the mirror just made the most sense.

I'll admit though, Shenmue's overall story is one of the things I find least interesting, and I'm not exactly a fan of anime. After seeing the trailer though, I definitely will end up watching it. Probably before I play Shenmue III n'all.

Bumping this thread because I find it really interesting, and because we have seen the trailer now and we know some parts that definitely haven't been retconned (like the 70 man battle).

I will make a risky bet, and I'll say that two important-ish characters from Shenmue II will be skipped: Joy and Yuan.

In the case of Joy, I have always suspected she is not in the original VF RPG scripts. She didn't appear on Shenmue beta trailers, nor in the chapter cards. As much as I like the character (much more than Nozomi indeed), I think she was a vehicle for having a kind of love interest in the second game, added after they realized Shenmue II would be a separate standalone game. And to serve as some kind of guidance to the player in the first story beats of Hong Kong. But if the anime portrays Nozomi, a second "love interest" in the same season might be too much. And, while in a different style, that role of "ambassador" to Hong Kong might perfectly be done by Xiuying herself, as a kind of hidden overseer to Ryo. Thus giving more punch to the reveal she is actually Master Tao.

As for the case of Yuan, the first reason is the trailer of the anime hints at being Lan Di himself the antagonist for the last Kowloon rooftop battle. That would mean Dou Niu's role would be downgraded to that of a secondary enemy, and that would make Yuan's role even less important (as a secondary enemy to the secondary one). Of course, also, in this time and age I wouldn't be surprised if the producers don't want to risk any controversy about the gender issues of the character, and/or if they don't feel confortable to portray a LGTB character as such a despicable antagonist.

If we get to talk into a possible second season and Shenmue 3 territory, I also think (or maybe hope) that they get rid of the "gangs" for good, and exchange them for CYM agents or something with a similar feeling of story progress. But I don't think they would retcon much else. I fully expect to keep (and expand) the mystical elements on an anime. And hope they tie the cave events with the following story much better than the games did (the bar isn't really high).
Yuan I can see. Joy, I doubt it. One of the reasons they said they were looking forward to adapting Shenmue 2 was because of the characters they loved. So I can't see Joy not making that list.

Back