What do you expect to be retconned

Currently playing
Yakuza 0 (PS4)
PSN
HoshiGAKiteiku
Will the more mystical elements be retconned?

No floating swords or fortune telling?

Goat or deer? Maybe a dog this time.

I think they will have to retcon Ryo's stoicism. It's an anime so, that'd be very hard to pull off, unlike a game where there is player agency. They kind of have to actually give Ryo a more outward personality.

Think of the persona anime, the MCs always have much more personality than in the games, which have silent protagonists because, a silent protagonist in film is very difficult to convey.

So... What I'm saying is, Ryo and Joy have to kiss.

"Will the more mystical elements be retconned?"

Nah, I don't think so.

"I think they will have to retcon Ryo's stoicism. It's an anime so, that'd be very hard to pull off, unlike a game where there is player agency. They kind of have to actually give Ryo a more outward personality."

I definitely agree with this. His personality just would not translate to an anime. I think he can still retain some of his introvert-esque, focused personality, but he just needs to be less wooden.

I would say Lan Di's overall role, in the original I got the impression he is so above everything else, that he lets his lackeys do the deals with the mad angels, but I'm ok with a change here if it gives him more to do in the story. I think he needs more than 3 scenes, (2 where he doesn't talk)

I doubt there will be too much retconning. Investigations will be glossed over. Ryo's relationship with the other characters will be fleshed out a little bit more. We may get to see things from other perspectives (Chen, Chai, Nozomi, Joy, Ren, Lan Di etc.).

Ryo's stoicism will go (at least somewhat). And his dialogue will be less stilted.

"I think they will have to retcon Ryo's stoicism. It's an anime so, that'd be very hard to pull off, unlike a game where there is player agency. They kind of have to actually give Ryo a more outward personality."

I definitely agree with this. His personality just would not translate to an anime. I think he can still retain some of his introvert-esque, focused personality, but he just needs to be less wooden.
I'm kind of expecting Ryo to be a lot more moody. Probably seeming more depressed, generally, with bouts of rage. I don't really expect him to be radically different from the games.

Yuan's dick.
:oops: I hadn't even considered how they're going to approach this. It's been a long time since I've thought of Yuan as anything but a Japanese stereotype of a gay man. I forgot that they transitioned him in the US.

I'm more talking about actual retcons, not things that will be cut or glossed over in the the editing/cutting process.

I'm more talking about actual retcons, not things that will be cut or glossed over in the the editing/cutting process.
Personally, I think if anything is really retconned from the game scenarios, it will be done to match the original scripts. I really don't know, though.

If the first season reaches this point, I doubt the sword will be floating from the pedestal, or larger than it was in III.

For them to purposefully retcon something it'd have to present a narrative problem for the creators. To be honest, the story is so simple in the beginning that I just don't see why they'd need to. Of course anything could happen. We'll be able to make more accurate guesses once we've seen a trailer.

They will skip over things and expand on others but that's a different thing.

I expect them to completely fix some of the problems with Shenmue 3's story and character designs by the time it get adapted.

I think they retcon the retcon S3 did to the sword/mystical elements... Not in the first season obviously as it won't reach Guilin I don't think but if there's an second then I expect all that to come back in.

In terms of elements from the first 2 games I'd think Tom is likely to get the chop or just a cameo... And I'd anticipate Ren to be give a backstory/more sympathetic intro- I doubt we'll see him attempting to cut Ryo up somehow! I could be wrong though....

I would be surprised if they keep all the sub-gangs (Mad Angels, Yellowheads, Red Snakes) unless they really play them up with unique personalities like the Warriors. Especially if they're covering more than 1 game per season, it'll get really repetitive.

I would be surprised if they keep all the sub-gangs (Mad Angels, Yellowheads, Red Snakes) unless they really play them up with unique personalities like the Warriors. Especially if they're covering more than 1 game per season, it'll get really repetitive.
I’d be more surprised if they got rid of them all. Whilst I’m hoping that they move through the story at a fairly brisk pace, the 70 man battle and the raid of the yellow head building are two of the biggest set piece moments in the series and I don’t see how either could work without their respective gangs being introduced.

The red snakes, on the other hand, could probably be replaced with generic CYM black suits and it wouldn’t really make much difference.

Back