What do you expect to be retconned

...yeah, again, I like the story of Shenmue II, but I fail to see how there is simply too much of it to fit into ~3 hours. Seriously, what's so complex about it? It isn't overly plot-heavy, with lots of twists and turns. It has a main cast of about 8 or 9 characters...it seems totally doable to me.

As spud said, it's way too early to say it's going to be bad. We have hardly any info to go on right now.

Zoltor is just too wrapped up in his own opinions to even consider another POV; we've seen it for years on this board.

He constantly brings up Wuxia as well and it's getting irritating because Shenmue is NOT a Wuxia text; it has many elements of being a Wuxia text, but there are a couple of major things that dispel that notion, mainly due to the fact that RYO IS NOT CHINESE, 1/3 OF THE SERIES (thus far) TAKES PLACE IN JAPAN and that fact that the, "laws," or, "norms," of Wuxia are not at all adhered to (ie: there is nothing about Confucius or Confucian theory and that the Jianghu is rejected/not adhered to by someone central in the story that is supposed to adhere to it).

It's rudimentary, but read the Wikipedia article: you will see a lot that 'mue has in common with Wuxia themes and situations, but there's a shit-ton in the games that doesn't follow Wuxia at all: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuxia

We got an announcement of an anime and it is GREAT news; let's wait and see how things shake down before condemning the damn thing.

EDIT* I also want to point out, the #1 Wuxia text that Western audiences would be most-familiar with, is Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon; you tell me if Shenmue mirrors that text in any way, shape or form.

I'll wait.

Last edited:
Don't worry guys, there's always Shenmue II: The Manga

PtZ0Rui.png

Just to comment on Ryo's stoicism: am I alone in kinda hoping his personality / temperament doesn't change much? I think they could add some depth to his dialogue of course but I personally like the idea of Ryo as this stoic, quiet, battled man set on his sights (kinda like mando's reserved, stoic demeanor. The mando can be emotionally distant and ice cold, but we can see and feel clear as day how much is in his heart at times) bit of random thoughts but I think y'all get what I'm saying

I agree; they should keep it that way and not change things like they did for Akira in the VF anime.

Just to comment on Ryo's stoicism: am I alone in kinda hoping his personality / temperament doesn't change much? I think they could add some depth to his dialogue of course but I personally like the idea of Ryo as this stoic, quiet, battled man set on his sights (kinda like mando's reserved, stoic demeanor. The mando can be emotionally distant and ice cold, but we can see and feel clear as day how much is in his heart at times) bit of random thoughts but I think y'all get what I'm saying
I have no issues with Ryo’s stoicism in the games and it could even be argued that it makes it easier to project oneself into him, but I’m not sure it would work in a different medium.

Shenmue’s gameplay and the desire to explore its vivid world are the things that drive the player onwards, but these aren’t really things that can be translated into an anime.

While the narrative and animation will also play an important part, there’s going to be much more of an emphasis placed on Ryo as a character than there is in the games. As he is, I’m not sure he has enough about him to captivate an audience.

If the show’s other elements are strong enough, this needn’t matter too much, but to leave Ryo as he is kind of feels like a handicap of sorts when there really needn’t be one.

Im not suggesting that they turn him into some Genki goofball or anything, but I’d be surprised if we don’t see a lighter side to his character at times and a little more emotion around some of the more poignant story beats.

What do you expect to be retconned...

QTE's...
Spending hours at the arcade every day, instead of looking for your father's killer...
Spending hours every day collecting capsule toys, instead of looking for your father's killer...
Spending hours every day with the kitten, instead of looking for your father's killer...
Spending hours every day stalking people, instead of looking for your father's killer...
Spending hours every day drinking soda and buying stuff from stores to win prizes, instead...

I agree; they should keep it that way and not change things like they did for Akira in the VF anime.
oh god lol. Akira is such a derp in the english dub i love him. "MY CREEEEEEEEEEED"

If the anime is merely just yokosuka I will take a guess and say that maybe not retconned but many things will probably just not be explored since it's just one season.

Things like:
Kurita-san and his GF breaking up,
Mai and her issues with her sister/mother which led her to being rebellious
Megumi and Maiyumi's dad being overseas

That kind of stuff.

For a stright up retcon, I can't think of anything. Maybe they will remove the whole "heavenly beast comes to destroy the earth when the mirrors meet?"

EDIT:
OH and if they do the warehouse #8 phone call, I wanna see if they use "Comrades" or "My friend" in the dub (if it gets an english dub)

Bumping this thread because I find it really interesting, and because we have seen the trailer now and we know some parts that definitely haven't been retconned (like the 70 man battle).

I will make a risky bet, and I'll say that two important-ish characters from Shenmue II will be skipped: Joy and Yuan.

In the case of Joy, I have always suspected she is not in the original VF RPG scripts. She didn't appear on Shenmue beta trailers, nor in the chapter cards. As much as I like the character (much more than Nozomi indeed), I think she was a vehicle for having a kind of love interest in the second game, added after they realized Shenmue II would be a separate standalone game. And to serve as some kind of guidance to the player in the first story beats of Hong Kong. But if the anime portrays Nozomi, a second "love interest" in the same season might be too much. And, while in a different style, that role of "ambassador" to Hong Kong might perfectly be done by Xiuying herself, as a kind of hidden overseer to Ryo. Thus giving more punch to the reveal she is actually Master Tao.

As for the case of Yuan, the first reason is the trailer of the anime hints at being Lan Di himself the antagonist for the last Kowloon rooftop battle. That would mean Dou Niu's role would be downgraded to that of a secondary enemy, and that would make Yuan's role even less important (as a secondary enemy to the secondary one). Of course, also, in this time and age I wouldn't be surprised if the producers don't want to risk any controversy about the gender issues of the character, and/or if they don't feel confortable to portray a LGTB character as such a despicable antagonist.

If we get to talk into a possible second season and Shenmue 3 territory, I also think (or maybe hope) that they get rid of the "gangs" for good, and exchange them for CYM agents or something with a similar feeling of story progress. But I don't think they would retcon much else. I fully expect to keep (and expand) the mystical elements on an anime. And hope they tie the cave events with the following story much better than the games did (the bar isn't really high).

I think Joy will make it; you often get a trope in anime of a sassy character and I think she would fit in just fine. I do see what you mean about Yuan, but I think he was a pretty good villian. I think the trouble would be people objecting to a transgender person as a villian. That said, he makes a good henchman and as long as he is not defined by his gender (which I don't think the game necessarily does), then I think it should be OK.

Imagine an animated scene with the chainsaw; that would be awesome!

If the anime inspires new Joy and Xiuying doujinshi, well I have no problem with that.

I'm guessing the Sword of Seven Stars will be dagger size just like it is in S3.

Also merchandise in the Tomato Convenience Store will not feature Shenhua on the wrapper.

Looks like Chai attacks Ryo in the Dojo, so the Hong Kong ticket portion might get fucked off.

Ah, but if the boat is hidden in the Dojo, they can kill two birds with one stone :sneaky: :sneaky:

Of course, it would mean Ryo going through all that effort to get a boat ticket to merely go back to the dojo, but logic be damned~

I'm actually quite intrigued there... what if Chai attempts to steal the mirror just as Ryo steps out from the basement--which also compromises dojo security and a family secret. Sort of like Ban finding the batcave in Dark Knight Rises.

Back