what does everyone want from shenmue 4 ?

I personally want the game to be as long as shenmue 2 and cover a lot of the story, also would be great to see baisha in shenmue 4 maybe it will start off their not sure though, would be nice to see more old characters returns i.e xiuying hong maybe meet her brother and he helps ryo,Guizhang would be amazing to see his return I think him and ren would clash, maybe see wong, i cant see any others that would make sense to see.

In my view, to be honest a finale, or a conclusion to the initial Lan Di/vengeance arc. I'm 50/50 on IV being made, V I don't think is happening. It doesn't have to follow the original legend of Akira outline or whatever, just a satisfying conclusion. I think that's possible in like 25 hours of gameplay or so and two pretty big towns. III understand they wanted to slow it down, develop the deutergonist Shenhua, but now I think Suzuki should consider whether he wants to finish it or not.

I've said this a few times but what I want is them to improve on what they have and just go in super heavy on the story.

Really flesh it out to the level of the first 2 games and we will be onto a really really good game.

I worry if they don't and there's more lukewarm reactions then the series is done as a game.

I've said this a few times but what I want is them to improve on what they have and just go in super heavy on the story.

Really flesh it out to the level of the first 2 games and we will be onto a really really good game.

I worry if they don't and there's more lukewarm reactions then the series is done as a game.
In my preference, Ziming should have been in 3, replacing the red snakes' leader or whoever and he escapes the fire at the end, so he can clash with Xiuying later.

I want it to use the Shenmue 3 engine and (slightly upgraded) assets but to finetune the mechanics to create a more polished sequel.

On a completely selfish note, I would also want it to be the conclusion to the saga, because I don't think aiming for a 5th game is realistic at this point.

They should re use the Shenmue 3 assets just improve on them a bit and maybe they should remove the Stamina feature. More story heavy moments would be also nice.

- More story.
- Original vision of story without being influenced by anything.
- Mystical elements back.
- I like the training and exp system of S3, to me it would be cool if it's back and with more things.
- Other types of jobs and minigames.
- Camera in normal play and battles play like in S1 and 2

The things I wan't more are the first 3, the other are optionals. I think there are many options to do a Shenmue IV heavy in story with the original vision without being affected by the budget. For example doing an RPG like DQ11 or a Telltale game. To me the graphics are not the most important thing. I think that in Shenmue 3 the staff suffered a lot from the graphics to make everyone like them.

But for example, I see games like DQ11, and the graphics are not the best in the world, but the expressions and style of the characters are very well recreated in a simple way. I think that Shenmue could go that way.

Of course, I want a full Shenmue IV in all of the aspects, playability, graphics, etc, but if they can't do it because the budget, I think there are many options to do a game keeping the original vision of the story.

Last edited:
What does Shenmue IV want from me, is the more accurate question :p Having some distance from III has made me appreciative again -- that it happened at all, that we're here asking for IV -- I'm just not in a position to be picky. To be honest, I don't think any of us are.

I'll take what they give me and judge it based on its own merits and shortfalls, instead of what I want and expect. In general, I want III but strengthen the obvious areas of weakness. I think that's realistic.

What does Shenmue IV want from me, is the more accurate question :p Having some distance from III has made me appreciative again -- that it happened at all, that we're here asking for IV -- I'm just not in a position to be picky. To be honest, I don't think any of us are.

I'll take what they give me and judge it based on its own merits and shortfalls, instead of what I want and expect. In general, I want III but strengthen the obvious areas of weakness. I think that's realistic.
For me S3 was 3 and a half stars, not as bad as many people say but it doesn't live up to the series' legacy. I'll admit to being "picky" and hoping IV would be a more worthy entry.

I personally want them to reuse what they have already made with Shenmue 3 and improve all the areas that felt less polished in the game:

QTE's - I think that the best approach would be to implement a good balance between Branching and Non - Branching QTE's in Shenmue 4 since the budget may not allow the team to create only Branching QTE's.
They could make Branching QTE's for the Story and the Non Branching ones for world exploration per example.

Combat - Polish the existing Combat System and add-in the Throw Moves.

Character Development - Make the Main and Side Characters Memorable with emotional and dramatic unforgetable moments.

Story - Probably the most dificult one to implement if Shenmue 4 becomes the final game in the series; but the most essential one in this list.
If Shenmue 4 does not pick up on the story seriously; I really doubt we will ever see the series complete.

Mystical Elements - Keep original elements whitout going too much over the top.

Keep the Positive features of Shenmue 3 - Herb Gathering; Wood Cutting; Fishing mini games. Add in some new mini game Jobs. Keep and improve Martial Training and leveling system.

Improve Health/Stamina system - Make it well balanced without forcing the player to be constantly engaging in side activities he doesnt want to perform giving it a little bit more freedom to explore the world the way he wants to.

On a more personal level I would really like for Ryo to train and live in a Shaolin Temple.
I think that Yu Suzuki could really capture the essence of what it would be like for Ryo to live and train in a Shaolin Temple.
I believe it could be a very positive highlight for Shenmue 4 and a memorable experience that Shenmue fans would never forget.

The one thing I really, really missed in Shenmue 3 was all the optional, missable scenes and sidequests that really added depth to the characters in the first two games. The conversations with Shenhua at night were very nice, but I'm thinking about all those little scenes in the first game, particularly with Nozomi, the cat and other characters that often resulted in cutscenes that add character development, but also the ones where you would engage in combat (or QTEs) or even learn new moves. And then there's Fangmei's Birthday, the duck races and the scenes involving Izumi and Eileen and the optional extra scenes you can see if you do the chawan signs at the 'wrong' cafes and restaurants. It really made your playthrough feel unique to you, but also added replay value. Or another example is how you can beat Chai in the arcade, but if you lose, the story progresses in a slightly different way.

Shenmue 3 in comparison felt a little 'a to b', linear and lifeless. I know it obviously had budget restrictions and they did the best they could, but it's something I hope they can explore a little more in Shenmue 4. I know there were side quests in Shenmue 3, but I don't feel they felt as organic, natural and as well integrated as they were in Shenmue 1 and 2.

For me S3 was 3 and a half stars, not as bad as many people say but it doesn't live up to the series' legacy. I'll admit to being "picky" and hoping IV would be a more worthy entry.
I'm not saying expecting an overall better game is being picky -- I think that's actually realistic to expect, and is likely (if IV happens) -- combat, QTE speed, plot progression, etc. is all bound to improve.

I'm more referring to having specific expectations of the story e.g. I want X thing to happen in IV. I'm also talking about unrealistic expectations e.g. I want SEGA arcades back, I want Virtua Fighter combat, etc.

The one thing I really, really missed in Shenmue 3 was all the optional, missable scenes and sidequests that really added depth to the characters in the first two games. The conversations with Shenhua at night were very nice, but I'm thinking about all those little scenes in the first game, particularly with Nozomi, the cat and other characters that often resulted in cutscenes that add character development, but also the ones where you would engage in combat (or QTEs) or even learn new moves. And then there's Fangmei's Birthday, the duck races and the scenes involving Izumi and Eileen and the optional extra scenes you can see if you do the chawan signs at the 'wrong' cafes and restaurants. It really made your playthrough feel unique to you, but also added replay value. Or another example is how you can beat Chai in the arcade, but if you lose, the story progresses in a slightly different way.

Shenmue 3 in comparison felt a little 'a to b', linear and lifeless. I know it obviously had budget restrictions and they did the best they could, but it's something I hope they can explore a little more in Shenmue 4. I know there were side quests in Shenmue 3, but I don't feel they felt as organic, natural and as well integrated as they were in Shenmue 1 and 2.

While I completely concur with what you said I do look back in retrospect and wonder if a lot of those minute details, small or hidden interactions were deliberate design choices or were result of an over blown development cycle.

I mean the first game in particular had this very lengthy and unwieldy development period were they designed and redesigned areas over and over (Look at beta versions of Yamanose and Sakuragaoka as an example). I think in that very iterative development it allowed them to add in all these insane, easy to miss details that the vast majority of players will never see. I point this out as I think it is fair to say we won’t see that level of depth in future releases and that’s why I hope much more attention is paid to the main narrative to ensure that is properly developed and you have unique scenarios around the main plot.

1. A good story
  2. An improved combat system (throws, no energy puffs to signify guard breaks or blocks) and better rag doll physics.
  3. Smaller environments, maybe? The smaller the world, the more intimate and detailed it feels.
  4. Yu to follow his heart/original vision as much as he can. Don't compromise to give us what we want because we all want different things!
  5. To stumble across optional events like side quests rather than being guided towards them with plinking icons or quest markers.
  6. The stamina system to be given the boot.

I'm literally the only one in the world, but after the first play through I'm not too bad at the QTEs (same as with the first two games especially Yellow Head bldg). They should simply make them and stamina scaled down a bit easier to manage on difficulties less than Hard mode.

T O E X I S T ! !

But yeah, in all seriousness, if Shenmue III felt like Shenmue I, then I want Shenmue IV to be like Shenmue II if that makes sense? In replaying the games again, the fighting is my least favourite part, so i'm not so worried about how that will go, but I just want more story, more lore, more depth.

What I want the most and i'm sure this doesn't count as "gameplay", but my favourite part of Shenmue III were the late night chats with Shenhua and the phone calls to older characters. I'd love to have more of that!

Focus:

1. Story
  2. Dialogue
  3. Plot progression
  4. Engaging combat
  5. Unique set pieces
  6. Sound design - it just wasn't up to standard in Shenmue 3 with the weird music integration
Less Focus (unless budget allows):

1. Mini games
2. Collectibles
3. Stamina/eating/reality-based things unless they can be implemented better
4. Shoe-horning references to past games. i.e., forklifts, Lucky Hit.

I'm hoping Shenmue IV focuses in on the Chi You Men some more.

Shenmue III felt like it was the "getting to know Shenhua" hour while introducing us to the likes of Niao Sun and the idea of a civil war within the Chi You Men.

Shenmue IV (for me) needs to expand on that. And I think that's where IV is going now that we are hot on the heels of them. They have the mirrors, the ball is in their field. It's time to finally find out more about the Chi You Men.

Who are they?
What exactly is their goal? (we have an idea based on hearsay but it's now time for confirmation as to what exactly their goal is)

Yeah, the next game for me needs to be all about Ryo finding out more involving the Chi You Men.

Shenmue III was the calm before the storm. Shenmue IV needs to be the storm. At least that's what I want.

Last edited:
Personally, I would love to engage in a more detailed story (it has to be story-centered) and would love to see an overall improvement on the combat system (throws, as mentioned before and remade UI instead of random button mashing). Also since some people wish to see supernatural forces, I do have a feeling that the mirrors might play a much larger role in the next installment, as it was mentioned something about the Chi You Men seeking out treasure, with Ren wanting it so badly. However, I have a feeling that this "treasure" is something much, much bigger than just a mountain of gold or whatever and there is one part of me saying that our heroes should leave it alone, as it might kill them.
Besides that, I wish for more variety in the form of part-time jobs and activities/minigames and please, if it's possible improve the dialogue between the characters. Even though I don't think the dialogue in S3 was bad, it felt a little too "robotic" with a few text typos that needed fixing.

Back