What fighting styles/techniques would you like to see?

RyoHazuki84

俺が益荒男
Favourite title
Shenmue
Since martial arts plays a significant role in shenmue, let’s discuss what styles and/or techniques we’d like to see.

Though Suzuki has said that the Virtua Fighter system will no longer be in use, I’d like to see characters based on Shun Di and Yi Fei.

Considering how the perception of martial arts has changed due to the mainstreaming of MMA, it’s be nice to see some more take downs or grappling. Maybe a triangle choke or an omoplata, but that probably wouldn’t work. But it’s be pretty bad ass if Ryo studied Sanda with its unique trips

I just want to see my boy Eddie from Tekken urban break dance fighting style lol.

But in all seriousness Jiu-Jitsu style is good enough for me like it was in first 2 games. Unless we get to see more Chinese fighting styles? Korean Taekwondo is pretty awesome too.

Well, I think we have to take in consideration the time period.
Game takes place in late 1980 or early 1990.

Vale tudo was introduced to the USA markets somewhere around 1970', but I dont think China had no idea about the precursor of MMA at that time.
I bet the first people to start practicing Vale tudo, shooto fighting, NHB etc. in China would be around late 1990 or early 2000.
Same goes to BJJ.
BJJ's inception was around early 1980. I dont think any brazilians capable of teaching these arts were living or migrated to the rural parts of China at that time. It would definitely feel out of place if Ryo did calf slicers and gogoplatas.

1980s and 1990s were the golden years of traditional martial arts. That's why I would like to see traditional chinese martial arts as well as japanese ones in their respective forms.

ef2b367ceb39b28d91411733e2dff962.jpg

Last edited:
I would like to see some Choi Lee Fut. Especially when Ryo is fighting several enemies. And as far as I know that was already quite famous in the 70s. After all, Bruce Lee once said Choi Lee Fut was the most effective kind of Kung Fu for fending off multiple enemies.

Shun Di, drunken kung-fu, from Virtua Fighter definitely. (y)

Anything goes really as long as it ties well into the story and the martial arts path Ryo is on, I think. Not sure if the above fits, but anyway.

A Drunken Master would be the coolest thing. Could teach Ryo some really unique moves.

As for individual techniques, I want to see what the Fierce Tiger is. You know, that move from the mysterious scroll.
Though it might take longer for it to happen in the saga than Shenmue III goes. I always imagined this to be THE ultimate move that Ryo then uses to overcome Lan Di or whoever will be the ultimate opponent in the end.

I have a feeling Qigong will show up, as it would fit right into the atmosphere and aesthetic of Shenmue perfectly as well as with Ryo's current journey.

With roots in Chinese medicine, philosophy, and martial arts, qigong is traditionally viewed as a practice to cultivate and balance qi (chi), translated as "life energy".

According to Taoist, Buddhist, and Confucian philosophy, qigong allows access to higher realms of awareness, awakens one's "true nature", and helps develop human potential

Qigong practice typically involves moving meditation, coordinating slow flowing movement, deep rhythmic breathing, and calm meditative state of mind. Qigong is now practiced throughout China and worldwide for recreation, exercise and relaxation, preventive medicine and self-healing, alternative medicine, meditation and self-cultivation, and training for martial arts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qigong

Yeah, why didn’t I think of Wing Chun?
MMA only got Big in China recently, so taking out anything MMA related is ok

Drinking age in China is 18

I was gonna say Wing Chun, imagine a wooden dummy excite QTE style mini game too. Wasn't there a drunken style master in one of the trailers?

That's be cool.

I think in an interview yu Suzuki said he'd like to incorporate southern style Chinese martial arts in shemue 3. Especially ones that focus in on close range rapid attacks. (He might have even mentioned wing chun). I seem to recall reading that in previous shenmue games long range martial arts were used. But this time he'd like to have fights in closed spaces. I'm sure he'll mix it up having some close quarter combat and some long distance fighting.

This is the video that partially inspired me to make this thread. Shenmue shows how powerful Tai Chi is, and a Chinese MMA Fighter makes it look like a joke.

The closest thing we got to an MMA Fighter in Shenmue so far is Rod, who is based on Jeffery Fromm Virtua Fighter. His fighting style is pankration, which is the BC version to MMA

Considering that the USSR was still around, I wonder if Ryo will meet Soviet Russian soldiers in Communist China and learn Sambo techniques.

I would like to see more throws, takedowns and submissions. I don’t expert to see techniques from the bottom guard technique like in MMA and Brazilian Jiujitsu.

Back