What got you into Shenmue?

I naturally feel into point and click adventure games as a kid in the 90s like 'Broken Sword, Gabriel Knight, Monkey Island, Fate of Atlantis, Grim Fandango'.
I read many gaming magazines and I saw there was this game that had similar mechanics to Grim Fandango that you would walk around and ask people questions, so I felt it was a mystery/solving type genre game but with fighting mechanics and an open world.

I was hooked.

When I bought Shenmue 1 I literally told my friends in school and only 1 of them played it and loved it.
This game been my favourite game ever since.

What got you into Shenmue?

I was way into Virtua Fighter as a kid. Hearing Shenmue was basically Virtua Fighter RPG appealed to me greatly. Hence my need to check it out. That and I loved Yu Suzuki's work and trusted him to make something I would like.

What I got was something more than just Virtua Fighter RPG. What I got was something pretty damn amazing.

It was a combination of things, the mind blowing graphics initially caught my attention, having never seen such a realistic world depicted in a video game before. Then it was the time period and setting, you combine that with this cinematic flair and Kung fu revenge story and it was a game perfectly suited to a lot of my sensibilities.

I also have to say the promise of living in this virtual world, a lot of those life sim elements really stuck out in Shenmue 1 and made it such an amazing experience.

Last edited:
It was a combination of things, the mind blowing graphics initially caught my attention, having never seen such a realistic world depicted in a video game before. Then it was the time period and setting, you combine that with this cinematic flair and Kung fu revenge story and it was a game perfectly suited to a lot of my sensibilities.

I also have to say the promise of living in this virtual world, a lot of those life sim elements really stuck out in a Shenmue 1 and made it such an amazing experience.

Pretty much all this. I remember seeing a commercial for it, thinking it looked kinda cool (didn't have a Dreamcast). But then, my cousin brought it over to a Christmas party in 2000 and all of us were just blown away by it. Some of us were debating if the graphics were better in the game than in real life :D

I sat and watched him play the game the entire time (he was right outside the Chai fight in the arcade) and left right before Nazomi was captured by the Mad Angels. Even though I watched the "worst" part of the game according to most, I was hooked and wanted to play the game so bad, but I never got a Dreamcast and we ended up continuing the 6th gen with the PS2. It wasn't until 2010 when I finally decided it wasn't coming to anything else and I wanted to pick up a Dreamcast. I usually have this bad luck where once I pick up something for a certain dead console, it gets a re-release, but that was one of the rare cases where that didn't happen (it did happen when I burnt Shenmue II for the Dreamcast when I wanted to play with transfer saves last year though lol). It did eventually make it to a Sony console though, just had to wait 18 years. :p

This is gonna sound corny, but since 2010, Shenmue has helped me go through some pretty rough times. When I look back on those terrible moments, I remember it being one of the few shining moments that helped me push through.

Last edited:
I pretty much just came across it by chance. My brother was playing Shenmue 2 on the Xbox, I watched him for play it for a few minutes and liked what I seen. He got bored of it not long after sleeping at the come over guest house and quit the game. As soon as he stopped playing I started my own playthrough and I never stopped. I then spent most of my summer holiday playing Shenmue 2 and it quickly became my favourite game. I didn't get to play Shenmue 1 until a few years later, I never had it for the Dreamcast and finding a copy of it wasn't easy at the time.

I believe we already have a threat in regards to this somewhere else but I’d be glad to re-share my story. I’ve always been a gamer, a martial arts enthusiast, interested in Japan and so on. My brother got me into Virtua Fighter when he got a Saturn in May of 1997 as his 6th grade graduation present (I was finishing 7th). They were super cheap and it came with VF2, Virtua Cop, and Daytona USA. We both got into it. As time progressed, a store not too far from our home opened that specialized in import games, and there we were exposed to Saturn’s amazing import library (most notably X-Men Vs. Street Fighter later that XMas!). We were living outside of Phoenix, Arizona at the time (well, my family is still there and I’ve spent my adult life in Japan).

A year later, that same story were selling import Dreamcasts after they launched in Japan in Nocember 1998. We went there and sampled VF3 and enjoyed it (most of our local arcades didn’t have it!). I was barely in high school and the high school I went to offered Japanese courses. I had the highest grade in the class and I only had less then a semester’s worth of study so I couldn’t understand most Japanese. When the clerk showed me the case to VF3, I saw a disc called Project Berkley. I asked him about it and he told me it’s all in Japanese but we’d be in for a surprise because it was partially a compilation video disc of Suzuki’s works and a preview to his latest game, which was concieved as VF RPG but was already evolving to what was Shenmue. My brother and I asked him to pop in the disc and despite my limited knowledge of Japanese, I was hooked by the serene opening song and the cinematics of a kung fu fight. I was getting into RPGs and thought this was going to be something epic.

Shortly after in 1999, I would follow whatever news I could. I would read it in magazines, the net, whereer I could find any sources of info. I read it was a game that would explore Japan and later China, and that it was a game that would let you almost do anything and it would have a day/night cycle, magic weather, etc. I bought into the hype. Unfortunately, that store couldn’t get the What’s New Shenmue demo back in June of 1999 so I had to wait until the game would come out. It was supposed to come out in October 1999, but delayed to December. I patiently waited.

When I went to that import store on December 31, 1999, there it was! There were 10 copies and whatever XMas money I had on me (a little less than $100), I purchased it for $65! We went home, and my brothers and I played it for the first time. Its graphics, voice acting, angles, and the opening fight between Iwao and Lan Di caught my attention. By then, I had a year and a semester worth of Japanese study. I still had the highest grade in the class but all I’ve learned was basic grammar, vocabulary, directions, greetings, ordering food, making requests, etc. All of my knowledge was good enough for tourism lol. But being there in Yokosuka, I felt like a tourist at home and I’m glad this game made me feel like I was part of its world.

I played the game for God knows how long. When it was midnight 2000 Arizona time, I was still playing Shenmue! I was exploring the Hazuki home opening drawers and touching all the objects. It was like nothing I’ve never played. Since I was a veteran of Virtua Fighter upon its release, the fighting engine came naturally to me. I loved playing as Akira so playing as Ryo was like second nature. I used the game to help with my Japanese studies. I had my textbook, notebook, and dictionaries on me at all times lol. I was a sophmore and my brother was a freshman and we were both taking Japanese but one year apart. We relied on each other to look up a word, etc. If we didn’t understand something, we’d make a note of it, and ask our teacher lol! back in the days of VHS, we would record things to help us with our progress in the game and with our Japanese studies.

Upon finishing the first game, I felt I was only just beginning and begged for more. I re-played it again and again to discover new things each playthrough. I really enjoyed the forklifts and thought they were fun just for the sake of it. I loved getting the capsule toys and playing classic games at the arcade like I was there. It was an experience like no other and no other games have managed to replicate that. While Yakuza could do that, but I missed the opportunity talking to every NPC for whatever reason and see how they react. I loved that about Shenmue. I like how it’s a game that allows you to explore its world in order to progress.

Since we loved the game so much, we got the English version upon its release on November 2000 to further support the series. Whatever needs to be said about the English for better or worse, has already been said but I’m glad I still have it along with my Japanese copies to this day.

Then in the summer of 2001, I had the chance to do a study abroad in Hiroshima. I’ll admit Shenmue played a part in preparing me for that opportunity. I felt without Shenmue to help me, my adjustments would have taken longer. I remember Virtua Fighter 4 barely came out and I did see advertisements for Shenmue II at that time. Also, Shenmue USA came out but I wouldn’t buy it for another 10 years or so lol.

Then in September 2001, shortly before 9/11, that store got Shenmue II. I was barely a senior at the time and had three years of Japanese study and just came home from my study abroad in Hiroshima. I could understand a good fraction of the games by then and I could follow along but had my notes and dictionaries on me to help me. I got it the moment I laid my eyes on it! Upon starting the game, I was surprised that I could carry over my save of Shenmue 1 over to the game and use whatever money and items I have as I start the second game. While Shenmue 1 I felt a sense of familairity in Ryo’s shoes, going into Shenmue II, I felt as lost as Ryo with everyone wanting me to buy something from them (which I learned going to Beijing in 2007). I felt annoyed and pissed as he was being scammed and then Wong and the Heaven’s stole his money.

But as the journey progressed, I began to value the people around me like Ryo did and learn the same lessons in patience and trust. At the same time, I began to be amazed by immersing myself in a different culture and interacting with a new set of people who are complete strangers. I enjoyed the new moves Ryo learned and enjoyed the fights and QTEs. The freeze QTEs threw me off but I learned to adjust. I loved the street fighting for money but I missed the forklifts. Upon meeting Dou Niu, my brother and I called him the Chinese Kingpin, a reference to the marvel villain lol. I’ll admit Yuan was a weird inclusion at the time (we played the Japanese version where he’s definitively a man) who we’d thought would best fit in a segment of Jerry Springer (those were the times).

I felt the stakes raise each time for Ryo and wanted to know the truth. Then getting to Guilin, I loved its serene music and nature. I loved talking to Shen Hua and sharing her what life in Shenmue 1 was like (and glad these interactions are further expanded upon in Shenmue 3) and hear from her what village life is like to pass through our walks to her home outside Bailu Village (or Hakkason in Japanese). I liked where the relationship was going and then when the game ended the way it did, I felt the same way I did ending Shenmue 1 the first time, that the journey is only just beginning depsite everything that happens in 2.

Of course, like many here, I wanted more and I was always hopeful for Shenmue 3 to happen. Since then, I have moved to Japan and when I moved to Yokohama 4 1/2 years ago, I have visited Yokosuka on a seasonal basis since. When my family visited me when I got married last year, I took them there to see the harbor and get an idea of what rural life is like. My dad was in the military so it gave him memories of his time in Korea with how it mixes local culture and American culture. My brother who was also a fan was glad to visit and was amazed with how much it resembles the Dobuita in teh game.

Honestly, it was being a teenage Dreamcast fanboy. Shenmue arriving in the West in 2000 was just before the launch of the PS2, and the hype train for that machine was in full effect. Well, I was very much in the Sega camp and even if I hadn't been, I couldn't afford two consoles. Shenmue was supposed to be THE big hit megabudget game that any self respecting Dreamcast owner would have, so I had to have it.

When I first popped the disc in (ahead of Christmas Day - don't tell my parents), I wasn't immediately impressed. The shimmer on the graphics stood out, as did the weirdly blocky font that in-game text used. And I wasn't too fond of the D-pad controls. But after I walked around Sakaraguoka for a while, I could see there was something in there.

A friend had one of those promo DVDs from a Sega magazine I think. I was at his house and we watched it. It showcased lots of forgettable games. But then I saw this game called something like Shamoo. The game looked absolutely beautiful. Best graphics I had ever seen. Made Ocarina of Time look like etch-a-sketch. And I saw how you could do trivial things like open drawers. It was so banal a game would allow you to open drawers but it took the immersion through the roof. I vividly remember thinking that was the most realistic game I’d ever seen. Not so much photo realism but that it felt like living in a real world.

That alone sold me on Shenmue and the Dreamcast. I asked for it as my big Christmas present that year and fell in love with the game. One of the most pure video game experiences I’ve ever had.

You can not like Shenmue as a game but it was undeniably revolutionary.

Some amazing stories so far!
Shenmue is the kinda game when you meet someone who has played it you geek out and express so much love for it.

Its so long ago that I don't really remember why exactly, but I probably just thought it looked/sounded cool after reading about it in gaming mags and seeing it on TV. I specifically remember seeing Ryo playing pool in that commercial on TV and getting stoked.

I was 11 years old. I had a friend named Walid who raved and raved about an upcoming game called shenmue everyday. He completely brainwashed me. I had never even seen an ad for the game. Not in a magazine, not on tv... nothing. But he just convinced me this "shenmue" game was gonna be better than jesus. I begged my mom for a dreamcast and shenmue for Christmas. She said it was too expensive. On Christmas day i got exactly that. Currently 30 years old and still find it amazing that it became my favorite game just like walid said it would.

I bought Shenmue because of the graphics. I fell in love with it because of the immersion it provided. Even to this day, I still feel like Shenmue games offer something that no one else has been able to match. Unfortunately, a lot of the things that I love Shenmue for are the same things that others hate it for.

We used to have a megadrive when I was a kid and I loved how the few sega games I could play felt, even if I didn't bother to finish any games of that era their design made me come back to them, such as sonic or street of rage.

After that we had a playstation and I loved the cinematic and story heavy games like final fantasy 7 and metal gear solid.
I also did play a little of n64 from friends which had nice 3d gameplay with games like goldeneye and zelda.

Then I came accros news about the dreamcast which looked great in itselft, had internet which was The future, and games looked like a big step beyond even pc games with sonic adventure or metropolis street racing.
Shortly after there was news about a so called shenmue, which looked beyond any others games, they all could go home just from this but it wasn't enough, it was told that you could do anything, with city full of life and interaction, fighting as refined as a fighting game and interactive cutscenes.
The setting also played a huge part, japan was huge at this time because manga, technology and some of the greatest games, it wasn't about the cheap "made in china" back then but the forward thinking "made in japan".

And I finally had it, my dreamcast with sonic adventure, but had to wait a year for shenmue. The games I played before it were clearly just to wait for it and when it finally came out, everything about it made me think it was the next big step in video game which would make movies old like radio became when movie happened, even more than the limited cinematic games of the playstation and pc. Then after some times and shenmue 2x it gave me even more than that.

Friend in highschool around 2001-2002 told me about it and showed me the 70 man battle and the arcades. I started reading about it more and wanted to play it but Shenmue II had been canceled in the US for Dreamcast. I found out the game was scheduled for release in the US on xbox and played Shenmue II first. I grew up with adventure games like kings quest, space quest, police quest, monkeys island. Shenmue II was always a strange game however that was what I liked about it.

These are some great stories.
It's amazing the reasons we love this series and the same reasons people dislike it.
Very hard to understand why

Issue 5 of Official Sega Dreamcast Magazine, had a whole big article on it and I instantly fell in love and had to have it. I bought my Dreamcast to play fighting games but it was right as I was transitioning to more of an RPG player, and Shenmue was a perfect mix, not to mention my general love of Japan. Still have that issue, sometimes bust it out to remind myself how revolutionary the game was at the time.

Back