What have we learned in Shenmue I, II, and III?

24Nathan

So seeing all of the complaints about the story in Shenmue III, I decided to take a look at what we have learned about the main story from all three games. I'll be trying to compile everything I think is relevant and linking it here.

Shenmue I

The prologue shows Shenhua standing atop a mountain, reciting a version of the prophecy poem:

"He shall appear from a far eastern land across the sea.
A young man who has yet to know his potential.
This potential is a power that could either destroy him or realize his will.
His courage shall determine his fate.
The path he must traverse, fraught with adversity.
I await whilst praying.
For this destiny predetermined since ancient times.
A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light.
And thus the saga beings."

As a new player, we have no idea what this means. Let's touch on it later, as it plays an important role in all three games so far, as well as the future of the series.

Let's move on to the introduction to the game:

A mysterious Chinese man named Lan Di has invaded the Hazuki Residence with two black suited thugs. He steals a treasure, the Dragon Mirror, before killing Iwao Hazuki, Ryo's father. Lan Di blames Iwao for killing a man named Zhao Sunming in Meng Cun, China. He has a mysterious tattoo on his arm.

While asking around to find out anything he can about the events of that day, Ryo comes to the realization that Lan Di probably belongs to a Chinese mafia group:

A letter from someone named Zhu Yuanda arrives at the Hazuki Residence. It came after Iwao died, but Ine - san kept it away from Ryo for a while. It is written in reverse kanji, and has to be translated. It reads: Beware of those who pursue the mirror. If you ever need help, seek the aid of Master Chen. Zhu Yuanda. It also contains contact info for Master Chen:

In the contact info is a password: Father's Heaven, Nine Dragons, Mother's Earth, Comrades. Ryo later asks Oishi about this phrase:

Oishi explains that Heaven, Dragon, Earth, and Comrade reference a Hong Kong legend. "In ancient times, the nine dragons were born from Father's Heaven and raised on Mother's Earth to become gods of the islands. After that, the gods became parents and friends to the island people. The legend has it that they lived in harmony forever after. "

Ryo meets Master Chen:

Master Chen tells us that Zhu and Iwao "brought back a certain mirror from China." He also knows of Lan Di: "An organization called Chiyoumen. Its leader goes by that name. I hear he's a master of a deadly martial art." [Side note, the Japanese translation is more accurate in describing the multiple leaders of the Chiyoumen, as explained by @Switch here: https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2016/11/lan-di-leader-of-chi-you-men.html]

Master Chen continues to explain that the Dragon Mirror is one of two mirrors, the other being the Phoenix Mirror. He describes the phoenix as being a "mythical bird of Chinese legend that guards human life".

Ine - san tells Ryo that there is something waiting for him at the antique shop:

Oishi tells him that Iwao asked him to "polish and take care of it". He also says that it is given to the Hazuki heirs once they turn 18, and that it has likely been passed down for multiple generations.

On the way back home to search for the mirror, Guizhang spars with Ryo:

Master Chen instructed Guizhang to act as Ryo's bodyguard because Ryo has a "role". He says that if Lan Di gets the Phoenix Mirror, then no one can stop him.

At home, Ryo shows the Sword Handguard to Ine - san. She says the "snow ring, two stars, one sword" is the Hazuki family crest and wonders if there is a connection with the mirror.

Ryo searches the hidden Hazuki Dojo Basement to find the mirror. He finds several interesting things, including a white leaf that is oddly not dry, a picture of a young Iwao with an unknown person, and the Phoenix Mirror itself:

Ryo shows the mirror to several of his elders:

Yamagishi - san mentions that the phoenix is a sacred bird of legend, and that the mirror has an ominous feel. He says that in China, there are many treasures that contain good and bad fortune, or the secret of yin and yang. Xia - san says that it is very unusual. She goes on: "In China, the phoenix is a legendary bird of fortune. It's a guardian for the sky lord...The other guardian is the dragon...In China, people consider the North Star to be the lord of the sky." She points to an old stone Chinese map of the Big Dipper from the Han Dynasty: "On a moonless night, should you pray to the stars, your wishes should be realized. The Big Dipper revolves around the immovable North Star. In China, the North Star is highly respected. For ages and ages, people have worshiped it. In China, there are numerous fascinating legends about the stars." Oishi states that stone mirrors were produced in China in ancient times, and that it is an exceptional piece. "I think perhaps this type of precious stone is only found in the Guilin region...according to a book I once read long ago, an emperor ordered a sculptor from Guilin to engrave a guardian onto a stone mirror...The Phoenix on this mirror is a guardian." Ryo asks if there is any connection between the phoenix and the stone from Guilin. Oishi replies: "Well, I really can't speculate, but considering the legend associated with this mirror, undoubtedly there is a connection."

Master Chen then sees it:

"...it's made of Phantom River Stone." He says Lan Di didn't steal it when he stole the Dragon Mirror because he probably was not aware that Iwao had both of them. "A long time ago, Zhu Yuanda once told me when the dragon and the phoenix meet, the gates of Heaven and Earth will open, and Chi You will resurrect itself on Earth...a legendary Chinese monster that will devour this world of ours. It appears Lan Di will try to make use of both mirrors." Ryo asks what he will try, and Master Chen replies that while he does not know, Ryo must not allow the mirror to fall into the wrong hands. They speculate that Lan Di has already gone to Hong Kong, and Ryo is desperate to hunt him down.

While Ryo is attempting to get to Hong Kong, he is attacked by Chai, who states that his dream is to work for Lan Di, and that Lan Di hates Zhu Yuanda, so he will be rewarded for any information he gets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8RZpVwVCTE&list=PLC38057D9B1A7E953&index=38

Master Chen and Guizhang eventually help Ryo get to Hong Kong, originally planning for Guizhang to accompany Ryo before being attacked by Chai, because they "also need to know what Lan Di is doing": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP7RrvNCkUA&list=PLC38057D9B1A7E953&index=79

After defeating Chai, Master Chen states that he does not know where Zhu Yuanda is, but has written a letter to introduce him to Tao Lishao, "one of Hong Kong's elder masters".

As the ending music plays, a different form of the prophecy poem is recited: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMpGWmBGcBw&list=PLC38057D9B1A7E953&index=81

"He comes from a far eastern land across the ocean.
A young man who has yet to realize his own potential.
This potential is a power that can both destroy him as well as ensure his will is realized.
Perhaps he will achieve the balance that will mark him a man of courage.
The path he must traverse fraught with adversity and filled with expectations.
I await whilst praying for the realization of this destiny predetermined since ancient times.
A pitch black night unfolds with morning star as its only light.
And thus, the sags begins.

SHENMUE I MAIN PLOT POINTS
Lan Di kills Iwao because he thinks Iwao killed Zhao Sunming. He also steals the Dragon Mirror.
Lan Di belongs to a Chinese criminal organization called the Chiyoumean, and is one of the leaders.
Ryo finds the Phoenix Mirror, which along with the Dragon Mirror, is surrounded by many Chinese legends.
Master Chen states that Iwao and Zhu, a man who warned Iwao of Lan Di in a letter, brought both mirrors to Japan from China.
Lan Di has gone to Hong Kong, and Ryo follows.

SHENMUE I UNSOLVED MYSTERIES
Poetry Scroll: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoJrvz3lDXg&list=PLC38057D9B1A7E953&index=52
White Leaf: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6ojpEuQvJI&list=PLC38057D9B1A7E953&index=27
Photo Of Father: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbgUx3t1WxE&list=PLC38057D9B1A7E953&index=76
Who is Zhao Sunming?
Did Iwao kill Zhao in Meng Cun?
What is the purpose of the mirrors?
Who is Zhu Yuanda, who knew that Lan Di was coming for Iwao's life as well as the Dragon Mirror?

Shenmue II
A different version of the prophecy poem is recited: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4CfkTp9NGc&list=PLFE05BDD6BEDEAF17&index=2

"From a distant land in the east, from across the sea, he shall appear.
He does not know of the strength hidden within him.
The strength that would destroy him, the strength that would fulfill his wishes.
When he is ready, he shall seek me out, and we shall brave together the rocky path.
I shall wait, this encounter has been my destiny since ancient times.
A dragon shall emerge from the Earth, and dark clouds shall obscure the heavens.
A phoenix shall descend from above, its wings will create a purple wind.
In the midst of the pitch black night, a morning star shall glisten, alone."

Ryo arrives in Hong Kong, eager to find Master Tao, hoping to get answers as to Zhu's whereabouts.

Ryo meets Master Tao, whose real name is Xiuying Hong, and she eventually lets him see a martial arts book called Wulinshu that Zhu had written covering various schools of kung fu. While reading, he sees Zhao Sunming listed in the lineage of Tiger Swallow Style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfrvkrTS24M&list=PLFE05BDD6BEDEAF17&index=20. A Chawan Sign paper also falls out, which he later finds out is a sign used to contact other martial artists. Guixiang says that "Heaven stands for time, Earth for place...comrade is person, dragon means actions. The cups' positions correspond to the letters." Ryo uses the Chawan Sign and meets up with an associate of Zhu's, Zhang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjvcBG9LTD4&list=PLFE05BDD6BEDEAF17&index=38. He shows Zhang Zhu's letter, who is afraid that the Chiyoumen's power has spread to Japan. He also is not sure of Zhu's current whereabouts, as he has hidden himself from the Chiyoumen. Zhang says that Ryo should seek out Ren Of Heavens, who might know something because his rival, Dou Niu of the Yellow Heads, is hunting Zhu on behalf of the Chiyoumen. Ryo meets Ren, who tells him that Zhu is in Kowloon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=743IZaJoGfc&list=PLFE05BDD6BEDEAF17&index=52

Ryo and Ren trace Zhu's whereabouts to the Ghost Hall Building in Kowloon. Zhu has the same Yin/Yang banner that the Hazuki Dojo had, as well as a Hazuki martial arts uniform. Just as they meet Zhu, the Yellow Heads barge in and capture Zhu. Ren runs, Ryo tries to fight and loses, and is saved by Xiuying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OzUZdheR0I&list=PLFE05BDD6BEDEAF17&index=68

In trying to find a way into the Yellow Head Building to rescue Zhu before he is handed over to the Chiyoumen, Ryo meets Kai, an acquaintance of Iwao: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRqyrRJDxjA&list=PLFE05BDD6BEDEAF17&index=70. He says that about twenty years ago (~1967), Iwao visited Kowloon and had a great interest in Chinese martial artists.

Ryo and Ren break into the Yellow Head Building to rescue Zhu. Along the way, Ryo fights a mysterious fighter named Baihu, who happens to use Tiger Swallow Style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T81xPouJmIA&list=PLFE05BDD6BEDEAF17&index=75

Ascending to the roof of the Yellow Head Building, Ryo defeats Dou Niu and saves Zhu, while Lan Di, hanging from a Chiyoumen helicopter, watches and flies away: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7uZLnbgbvs&list=PLFE05BDD6BEDEAF17&index=76

Ryo and Zhu meet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KytA8cAqu4&list=PLFE05BDD6BEDEAF17&index=77. Zhu explains that Zhao Sunming is the name of Lan Di's father, whose real name is Zhao Longsun, and that Lan Di killed Iwao thinking he had avenged his father. Zhu doesn't know for sure what happened, but does claim that Iwao brought both of "Zhao's mirrors" to Japan. He says that Zhao Sunming was his best friend. He also says that the two mirrors form a key to the treasures hidden away in order revive the Qing Dynasty. He blows smoke over the Phoenix Mirror, which shows the light pattern of the Big Dipper. The two mirrors' light patterns combine to show the location of the treasure. Zhu tells Ryo that he must go to Bailu Village in Guilin, a place where Zhao and Iwao trained when they were young. He says that the mirrors are made of Phantom River Stone found only in Bailu, and the descendants of the ones who made the mirrors live there, too. He also says that Lan Di is also headed there.

On the way to Bailu, Ryo meets Shenhua, a girl from Bailu Village. She leads him to her house on the edge of Bailu Village, and they discuss many things on the way. Some rare, beautiful stones can only be found near the village (alluding to Phantom River Stone, I assume), which were treasured by emperors and nobles in the city. Her father is a stone cutter in the village. When Ryo asks Shenhua about the Shenmue tree, she mentions that the tree was already that tall when her grandfather was a child, and that it has been alive for "tousands of years". In her flashback, we see the tree among some very different looking structures where her parents name her, and the tree is much smaller, lending credence to the fact that this flashback is actually demonstrating her "ability to remember her ancestors": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o4MHjEdYpQ&list=PLOMn2ijJRJPFKk7AXotcBQKXcYU5DLgVP&index=24
Ryo feels as if the tree has a spirit, and is watching over them. He feels like he knows the tree from a long time ago, and Shenhua agrees:

After mentioning that his father is gone now, and Shenhua mentions that her father is stubborn but warm hearted, she tells Ryo that she was told that her real father had died, together with her mother. She says that she doesn't remember anything about her real parents, or how they died.

When Ryo sees the book on constellations in the house, Shenhua mentions that the North Star is said to be the harbinger of death, and that when it flickers, something bad happens. The prior night, when taking turns watching the fire on their way to her house, she saw it flicker. Her father has had the tapestry of Luoyang for a long time. It is an old city that flourished during the Tang Dynasty. For some reason, it gives her a nostalgic feeling...when she closes her eyes, she can see the landscape of the city, and people bustling by, even though she has never been there. The mountain painting by the bookshelf is scary to Shenhua. She tells of an old tale that says people who set foot in the mountains do not return, and that nobody goes near them today. In the dresser right next to the table with the mirror diagram on it, there are several rolled up pieces of large paper, one of which seems to have more information about the dragon mirror on it.

The mirror diagram is said by Shenhua's father to have been in the family for a long time. Shenhua then examines the mirror and reaffirms that Phantom River Stone can only be found in Bailu Village. Her father doesn't let her in to the Stone Pit to see his work, however. As Ryo tells her that Lan Di came for the Dragon Mirror, she tells of an ancient legend that the ancient emperor had mirrors made from Phantom River Stone, but the rulers fought for the mirror, trying to get its hidden power, and some even lost their lives because of it. Approaching the Stone Pit, Shenhua mentions that there are usually birds on the path up to it, and she is worried because there are none currently.

Ryo and Shenhua enter the Stone Pit, discovering that her father is gone and there is only a letter left:

"Dear Shenhua,

My work is done. The phoenix entrusted to our people is now complete. The time of destiny has come. Shenhua...go with the one who holds the phoenix, and find the proof. Yield yourself to the one, and go together. I shall give you the family treasure, the Sword Of Seven Stars. Think of this sword as a part of me, and keep it with you. I shall always watch over you. "

Finding a slot for the sword and a separate slot for the Phoenix Mirror, Ryo inserts both, with the help of Shenhua, who seems to magically force the sword into its slot. The sword rises out of its slot and floats in the air before reflecting a beam of light shot by the Phoenix Mirror onto a torch, which illuminates giant replicas of the Dragon and Phoenix Mirrors carved into the wall. Shenhua recites the prophecy poem, and the game comes to a close.

SHENMUE II MAIN PLOT POINTS
Zhu Yuanda was Zhao Sunming's best friend.
Lan Di is Zhao's son, and his real name is Zhao Longsun.
Zhu contradicts Master Chen and says Iwao alone brought the mirrors to Japan.
Zhu contradicts Master Chen again and says that the two mirrors form a key to treasure that will revive the Qing Dynasty.
Zhu tells Ryo to travel to Bailu Village, where the mirrors were created and ancestors of the ones who created them live.
Zho says Lan Di is also headed to Bailu.
Ryo meets Shenhua, whose father is an ancestor of the ones who created the mirrors.

SHENMUE II UNSOLVED MYSTERIES
The prophecy poem is starting to come true, and Shenhua's father seems to foretell Ryo's arrival. How does he know all of this?
Where is Shenhua's father?
Why was he secretly carving these large mirror replicas?
Why is Zhu contradicting Master Chen with regards to the mirrors? What is their true purpose?
What did Lan Di want with Zhu?
Who is Baihu?
Where is Ziming, Xiuying's brother, who swore revenge on their parents' killers, and joined the Chiyoumen? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCfKiA7Pma0&list=PLFE05BDD6BEDEAF17&index=22
What is the significance of the White Leaf?
What is the significance of the Poetry Scroll?
Who is in the photo with Iwao?
Where is Shenhua's birthplace, and why does it seem so different to her current house, as they both seem to share the Shenmue Tree?
Why does Shenhua have these nostalgic feelings about Luoyang?
What is the significance of the mountain tapestry?
What is the significance of the Sword Of Seven Stars?
Why did the sword float, the mirror shoot beams of light, and Shenhua magically put the sword into its slot?
What is the Shenmue Tree?

SHENMUE III

Shenhua recites the same poem from Shenmue II's prologue in this prologue.

Ryo and Shenhua arrive in Bailu Village trying to find out where her father is. They discover that some thugs have been ransacking the village, trying to find stonemasons and the Phoenix Mirror.

Shenhua mentions that her house is likely far away from the village in order to protect the Stone Pit, which is so special that she isn't even allowed to enter. She also says that the giant mirror replicas were likely worked on ancestors of hers, dating back even before her father and grandfather. She also mentions later on that she has vivid dreams about the "city where the emperor once lived long ago. My father and mother stand before me. I've only just been born, and they say my name. " https://youtu.be/VrHXZOKy89Q?t=4090

Ryo happens upon a place where his father had trained when he was in Bailu, and finds out that the man in the photo with him was Zhao Sunming. Master Feng, who tells him this, says Iwao was not a man capable of murder, and points him in the direction of Man Yuan Temple and its resident monk.

The monk explains that almost twenty years ago, Iwao came from Japan to Bailu to train with Zhao Sunming. He searches the temple's archives and finds an old photo of the Verdant Bridge, with people carrying banners of the dragon and phoenix mirror designs. The monk says that the photo is an imperial envoy dispatched to the village by the emperor. The dragon and phoenix represented the will of the imperial family, dragon for emperor and phoenix for empress. The dragon and phoenix were revered by the imperial family. The back of the photo has the date 1910, which was the second year of Emperor Xuantong's reign, and the year the bridge was finished. Shenhua advises Ryo to ask the elders in the village about the Verdant Bridge.

Mr. Su tells that the bridge was built for the imperial envoy's arrival. It was a hot summer day. Sun tells that the envoy was sent to Bailu to get a Phantom River Stone mirror made from Yuan Liushan, who was Yuan's grandfather, thus being Shenhua's great grandfather.

Ryo beats the thugs that were ransacking the village. The head thug refuses to say anything. Shenhua, asking everyone to leave her alone with him, somehow forces him to start talking. His name is Yanlang. He and the thugs were ordered to search for the Phoenix Mirror, and when they couldn't find it, they were ordered to kidnap its stonemason, Yuan, who is the only one who can carve Phantom River Stone. They were ordered not to hurt him. Chai was employed to watch over them as they did this. Yanlang says that Chai is headed to Elder Yeh's house.

Elder Yeh reaffirms what Su and Sun said about the completion of the Verdant Bridge. The Yuan name had become well known to Luoyang, and the envoy was sent to have the Yuan family make a set of mirrors from Phantom River Stone. She then directs Ryo and Shenhua to climb the bell tower. When they do, they must insert the Sword Of Seven Stars into a wheel repository. This opens to reveal a scroll, which they take back to Elder Yeh.

The scroll has a dragon, phoenix, treasure, a mountain cliff, and the Elephant Rock landmark on it. Yeh says again that if the dragon is the emperor, the phoenix the empress, then the treasure must be the hidden treasure in their palace. The phoenix on the scroll is the same design as what is on the scroll. Yeh says they should travel to Niaowu, as the Elephant Rock is a landmark of Niaowu. Yeh says that the cliff must be where the treasure is hidden.

As they leave, Chai attacks, attempting to steal the scroll, and is beaten by Ryo. He confirms that Yuan was taken to Niaowu. Ryo and Shenhua head there.

Upon arrival in Niaowu, Ryo notices a woman that was on the boat make eye contact with him. He meets this woman a few times throughout wandering the town. Her name is Li Feng.

Ryo learns that the Red Snakes gang have Yuan. While trying to find out more about them, he meets the monk at the Hua Xiao Temple. Upon leaving the temple, the monk gives him a martial arts scroll that "a martial artist" dedicated to the temple when he came here "a long time ago". The scroll is signed by Iwao Hazuki.

Ryo eventually chases the Red Snakes to their hideout, where their boss beats him. He trains under Master Bei and goes back for a rematch, only to find Li Feng there, alone. When Ryo and Ren ask her about the Red Snakes, she says that she had them leave because this land belongs to her. She says that the Red Snakes headed to the old castle across the river, and took Shenhua with them.

Ryo and Ren make their way across to the old castle, where they rescue Yuan and meet Niao Sun, only to realize she is Li Feng. She demands the Phoenix Mirror in exchange for Shenhua's life, which Ryo hands over. Shenhua leaves to go be with her father. Niao Sun hands the Phoenix Mirror off to one of her Chiyoumen black suits, and tells Ryo that Lan Di is waiting ahead. Ryo and Ren fight their way to Lan Di, defeating the Red Snakes leader and many other Red Snakes/Chiyoumen members along the way.

Ryo and Ren burst into Lan Di's room and defeat his underlings. Ryo demands a fight, which Lan Di finally takes him up on. Ryo cannot touch him and is easily overtaken by Lan Di, as is Ren. As this is happening, Niao Sun orders her Chiyoumen black suits to set fire to the castle, aiming to kill Lan Di and claim leadership of the Chiyoumen. As the building burns and is collapsing around them, Lan Di blocks Ryo's every move. Ren tricks Lan Di into not killing Ryo with the offer of a fake Phoenix Mirror, which he throws out the window. As Lan Di stares out the window, Ryo and Ren escape.

As the castle burns, Ryo, Ren, Shenhua and Yuan board the Niaowu ship. Yuan explains that the mirrors were once locked away in the cliff temple, but "someone had their eye on them". Zhao Sunming wanted to get the mirrors before they fell into the wrong hands. The mirrors were entrusted to him, and several years later, he mysteriously died. Lan Di was therefore raised by the Chiyoumen. Yuan then says that the cliff temple, which Zhao Sunming visited, has been taken over by the Chiyoumen, and that Lan Di is likely there with the Dragon Mirror. The game ends with Ryo, Ren, and Shenhua walking the Great Wall Of China, heading to the cliff temple.

SHENMUE III MAIN PLOT POINTS
The mirrors were created by mandate from the emperor in 1910.
The dragon and phoenix represent the emperor and empress, respectively.
The Verdant Bridge was built to welcome the imperial envoy to Bailu.
According to Yeh and Yuan, the mirrors represent actual monetary treasure.
Iwao has been to both Bailu and Niaowu.
Yuan was kidnapped because his grandfather made the mirrors.
Yuan is the only one who can carve Phantom River Stone.
Shenhua's house acts as a barrier for the stone pit of Phantom River Stone.
The treasure that the mirrors are a map to is hidden away in the cliff temple, which has been taken over by the Chiyoumen.
Niao Sun, another Chiyoumen leader, betrays Lan Di and attempts to kill him, along with Ryo and Ren, in order to gain control of the Chiyoumen.
Niao Sun acquires the Phoenix Mirror by kidnapping Shenhua and demanding it as ransom.
Ryo badly loses his fight against Lan Di.

SHENMUE III UNSOLVED MYSTERIES
The prophecy poem is starting to come true, and Shenhua's father seems to foretell Ryo's arrival. How does he know all of this?
Why was Yuan secretly carving the large mirror replicas?
What is the significance of the mountain tapestry? Since it was removed from III, was it retconned?
Is there any more significance of the Sword Of Seven Stars?
Was the ending of Shenmue II with the beams of light and floating sword retconned, or just not shown?
Zhu said that Lan Di was headed to Bailu Village, yet he is nowhere to be found. Was Zhu lying or misinformed?
Is the treasure that the mirrors are a map to literal, as in something with monetary value, or does it relate to Chi You and/or the revival of the Qing Dynasty?
Who was Zhao Sunming trying to protect the mirrors from?
Did Iwao kill Zhao Sunming?
How did Iwao end up with the mirrors?
According to Oishi in Shenmue I and Shenhua in Shenmue II, the mirrors were created in ancient times...is this retconned, or are their multiple sets of mirrors?
How long has Niao Sun been betraying Lan Di? Was it her or Lan Di that sent Yanlang, Chai, and the thugs to Bailu to search for the Phoenix Mirror? The bad ending of Shenmue I shows that Lan Di finds out Ryo has it while they are both still in Japan. The bad ending for Shenmue II shows that he finds out before they reach Guilin. Was he trying to find Zhu to find out about the Phoenix Mirror, while Niao Sun sent her thugs to Bailu?

-------

So, basically, let's start talking about the broader story here. I've omitted several large plot points, such as Xiuying's interaction so far, as they have more to do with Ryo's personal growth more than the lore of the games. So what have we learned?

From Shenmue I, we have seven dangling threads left unanswered by the time Ryo boards the Genpu Maru to Hong Kong. Out of these, I would classify two as being solved. Let's dive in.

Poetry Scroll
While Guizhang translates this for us in Shenmue I and foreshadows that perhaps we may later meet the master who wrote it, Yu Suzuki has confirmed that we won;t meet this master until later on in the games. Moving on...

White Leaf
Speculated to be a leaf from the (a?) Shenmue Tree, this item is still in Ryo's Shenmue III inventory, but is never mentioned. Who knows?

Photo Of Father
The writing on the back says "In Bailu Village", and that's all we know by the end of Shenmue II.

Who is Zhao Sunming?
He is Lan DI's father. Answered.

Still unanswered.

We literally have a different answer in every game so far. Master Chen tells us that Zhu Yuanda told him that when the dragon and the phoenix meet, the gates of Heaven and Earth will open, and Chi You will resurrect itself on Earth. Very grand.

Who is Zhu Yuanda, who knew that Lan Di was coming for Iwao's life as well as the Dragon Mirror?
Answered...Zhu was a friend of both Iwao and Zhao, though seemingly close to Zhao. Master Chen contradicts several of the things he tells Ryo. Master Chen says that Zhu and Iwao brought the mirrors to Japan, while Zhu says that it was just Iwao. Zhu says that the mirrors are a key to the hidden treasure said to revive the Qing Dynasty, and Master Chen said what I typed above. Yu has stated in a Shenmue Master interview that Zhu is not exactly trustworthy, and can tell white lies or twist the truth to protect his friends. Who knows.

So Shenmue II leaves us hanging on several fronts from Shenmue I...it only answered two of the points I had in my list. Let's move on to Shenmue II's mysteries, and what Shenmue III tells us.

Unanswered.

Where is Shenhua's father?
He was kidnapped by the Red Snakes and taken to Niaowu.

Why was he secretly carving these large mirror replicas?
Do not know.

Why is Zhu contradicting Master Chen with regards to the mirrors? What is their true purpose?
Both questions remain unanswered, and are further complicated in Shenmue III...now, the mirrors are a map to actual treasure.

Unanswered. Maybe that was his way to get info on the Phoenix Mirror, since it seems Niao Sun was behind the Red Snakes capturing Yuan?

Who is Baihu?
Unanswered.

Where is Ziming, Xiuying's brother, who swore revenge on their parents' killers, and joined the Chiyoumen?
Unanswered.

Unanswered.

Unanswered.

Unanswered.

Who is in the photo with Iwao?
Grandmaster Feng confirms this is Zhao Sunming, as does Yuan.

Where is Shenhua's birthplace, and why does it seem so different to her current house, as they both seem to share the Shenmue Tree?
Unanswered, though there are two Shenmue Trees in Bailu Village, so it is likely more exist. Half credit awarded!

Unanswered, though Yu Suzuki has stated that she is kind of connected to her ancestors.

What is the significance of the mountain tapestry?
Might be the same mountains that symbolize the cliff temple on the Bailu treasure scroll, but it is just a theory. Unanswered.

What is the significance of the Sword Of Seven Stars?
Seemingly only a key to unlock the treasure scroll in Bailu's bell tower.

Why did the sword float, the mirror shoot beams of light, and Shenhua magically put the sword into its slot?
Further complicated in III, as none of this is directly mentioned, but Shenhua's powers are further showcased, such as when interrogating Yanlang.

What is the Shenmue Tree?
Unanswered.

So, in addition to introducing many new mysteries, Shenmue III answered three and a half of Shenmue II's mysteries, which is more than Shenmue II answered from Shenmue I. The full list of unanswered mysteries is below:

Shenmue IV Mysteries
Why was Yuan secretly carving these large mirror replicas?
Who is Baihu?
Where is Ziming, Xiuying's brother, who swore revenge on their parents' killers, and joined the Chiyoumen? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCfKiA7Pma0&list=PLFE05BDD6BEDEAF17&index=22
Is there more significance of the Sword Of Seven Stars?
What is/are the Shenmue Tree(s)?
What is the significance of the mountain tapestry? Since it was removed from III, was it retconned?
Was the ending of Shenmue II with the beams of light and floating sword retconned, or just not shown?
Zhu said that Lan Di was headed to Bailu Village, yet he is nowhere to be found. Was Zhu lying or misinformed?
Is the treasure that the mirrors are a map to literal, as in something with monetary value, or does it relate to Chi You and/or the revival of the Qing Dynasty? All three games offer a different story so far.
Who was Zhao Sunming trying to protect the mirrors from?
How did Iwao end up with the mirrors?
According to Oishi in Shenmue I and Shenhua in Shenmue II, the mirrors were created in ancient times...is this retconned, or are their multiple sets of mirrors?
How long has Niao Sun been betraying Lan Di? Was it her or Lan Di that sent Yanlang, Chai, and the thugs to Bailu to search for the Phoenix Mirror? The bad ending of Shenmue I shows that Lan Di finds out Ryo has it while they are both still in Japan. The bad ending for Shenmue II shows that he finds out before they reach Guilin. Was he trying to find Zhu to find out about the Phoenix Mirror, while Niao Sun sent her thugs to Bailu?

Discuss.

Last edited:
They are simply wrong. For some reason, it is cool to hate on anything people may like. I've been guilty of it, but at least I try not to. Shenmue is sadly no exception.

They are simply wrong. For some reason, it is cool to hate on anything people may like. I've been guilty of it, but at least I try not to. Shenmue is sadly no exception.
Yeah I agree, I've been posting about it on the other thread about haters. There are a lot of fans on this forum that have that very view though.

EDIT: the view that the story is a basic revenge plot.

Shenmue has always been a McGuffin focused game. McGuffins are necessarily a bad thing, in the case of Shenmue, a McGuffin drives the direction of the plot: Examples: Master Chen, Sailors, Charlie, Lan Di, Yuanda Zhu, Mr. Yuan, etc are ALL McGuffins.

Great post, 24Nathan! It may be worth adding some obscure dialogue between Ryo and Oishi in Shenmue 1 about Father's Heaven, Nine Dragons, Mother's Earth, Comrades. This can be seen when Ryo has some time to talk to people before Tom teaches him the Tornado Kick.

Great post, 24Nathan! It may be worth adding some obscure dialogue between Ryo and Oishi in Shenmue 1 about Father's Heaven, Nine Dragons, Mother's Earth, Comrades. This can be seen when Ryo has some time to talk to people before Tom teaches him the Tornado Kick.
I thought about that same exact conversation while I added Guixiang's Chawan sign dialogue, but completely forgot to look for a video of it. I'll look for some now, thank you!

EDIT: Found it:
Thank you, @BlueMue !

Last edited:
Good post.

Despite all this there are still people who will baffingly assert that Shenmue doesn't have a good story. It's just a "simple revenge plot" smh.
It's a story that isn't told well, if we're specifically talking about Shenmue 3.

It's a story that isn't told well, if we're specifically talking about Shenmue 3.
Shenmue 3, yes. But regarding the whole series, debatable. The dialogue is clunky and stiff, the voice acting can be bad, sometimes laughable, especially in English. However, the world building, the way the mysteries unfold, are very well done IMO.

My comment was referring more to the people, and especially the fans, who claim that Shenmue doesn't have a good plot. Or at least the pretension towards a good plot. The people who can't see past the premise and consistently claim that Shenmue is just a simple revenge story when it's obviously so much more than that.

I think it’s a great story. How many of our stomachs sank when Shenmue 2 ended on that cliffhanger? People can bicker about this or that, but I’d say most of us. That’s good storytelling...Leaving people wanting more.

Last edited:
Shenmue has always been a McGuffin focused game. McGuffins are necessarily a bad thing, in the case of Shenmue, a McGuffin drives the direction of the plot: Examples: Master Chen, Sailors, Charlie, Lan Di, Yuanda Zhu, Mr. Yuan, etc are ALL McGuffins.

While I agree to an extent, I don't think it is fair to class Master Chen and Lan Di as MacGuffins. In Shenmue I, Master Chen is very important in relation to that particular games story, if not the series as a whole. And Lan Di has been the whole motivation for Ryo since the start of the series. There is almost no chance of the series concluding without there being some form of resolution, one way or another, to Ryo's quest for vengengce. I cannot see it simply disappearing into the background because other things become more relevant.

I spoke about this elsewhere, but despite what some people think, we learn more in Shenmue 3 that we didn't already know or could easily figure out, than we did in Shenmue 2. It is simply the delivery of the story that is problematic, not the lack of it. Indeed, in the last 10-15 minutes of the game, we get what I suspect are the main story beats from Baishi (Niao Sun kidnaps Shenhua, gets the mirror from Ryo, who she then sends to distract Lan Di while she betrays him. Yuan is rescued & Ryo is beat by Lan Di. Yuan tells us that Zhao was entrusted with the mirrors and died mysteriously. He then tells Ryo where to go next.)

Thinking about the series as a whole, perhaps the issues with the plot are intentional. As we have not yet met (and possibly wont) someone who knows the whole story (with the possible exception of Tenti), it is entirely possible that people are relaying to us what they think they know. However, there is no guarantee that any of them actually know the truth or are not lying to us, for whatever reason. Call it a different version of unreliable narrator. Ryo, as a character, does not ask the bigger questions that we would. At present he is not really interested in the mirrors or the Chi You Men, except when it relates to him finding Lan Di. It's is an interesting scenario, that the main character is focused on one thing and the bulk of the players on something else. It also allows Yu-san to take his time in unwravelling the whole story.

This is an amazing thread, thank you. I've been looking for a well written, in depth synopsis like this, as I must admit I get pretty overwhelmed by all the plot points, contradictions and unanswered questions.

The only issue I have with Shenmue II's ending and how III goes down is this, because it makes it sound like something huge is about to happen and we will find out what the "time of destiny" really means. Although I appreciate a lot does happen in Shenmue 3 and some questions are answered, it still feels like the seeds that were sown with Shenmue II's ending are still being used to set up Shenmue 4, if that makes any sense.

Ryo and Shenhua enter the Stone Pit, discovering that her father is gone and there is only a letter left:

"Dear Shenhua,

My work is done. The phoenix entrusted to our people is now complete. The time of destiny has come. Shenhua...go with the one who holds the phoenix, and find the proof. Yield yourself to the one, and go together. I shall give you the family treasure, the Sword Of Seven Stars. Think of this sword as a part of me, and keep it with you. I shall always watch over you. "

Finding a slot for the sword and a separate slot for the Phoenix Mirror, Ryo inserts both, with the help of Shenhua, who seems to magically force the sword into its slot. The sword rises out of its slot and floats in the air before reflecting a beam of light shot by the Phoenix Mirror onto a torch, which illuminates giant replicas of the Dragon and Phoenix Mirrors carved into the wall. Shenhua recites the prophecy poem, and the game comes to a close.

I want to add an hypothesis I was thinking about in these days... what if the Emperor's envoies in 1910 are somehow connected to the presence of Shenhua in Bailu? I mean... Could it be that they brought her there in some form? It's clearly hinted that she's not exactly what she appears to be. Maybe a previous incarnation of her? :eek:

I want to add an hypothesis I was thinking about in these days... what if the Emperor's envoies in 1910 are somehow connected to the presence of Shenhua in Bailu? I mean... Could it be that they brought her there in some form? It's clearly hinted that she's not exactly what she appears to be. Maybe a previous incarnation of her? :eek:

Yes I think it's very likely Shenhua it's connected to the Emperor/Empress- either a descendant or more mystical reincarnation... What's frustrating is that Yuan's letter at the end of S2/beginning of S3 would imply if there was he would know it, yet you don't get to see her or Ryo ask any questions around what he was referring to in the letter.

I've also been mulling over the idea that the emperors actions (having the mirrors created) may have been in response to something far older that he had become aware about. That way the poem talking about something fortold since ancient times could still marry up with the mirrors only being just over 70 years old.

I think since the prophecy is still recited in Shenmue III's prologue and has not changed since it was used in Shenmue II, that there are still more to learn about the mirrors' history than what we heard of in Bailu. Just a hunch.
I think Shenmue IV will start introducing more detail around Shenhua’s past and connections to the royal family. Conceptual Artwork from day 1 of the original game presented her in royal looking clothing.

Back