What is everyone's favourite generation for gaming?

2020 to current. XB X/S PS5. The consoles power, controls, graphics, realism, depth, etc has all come of age.

If we're not including the current generation then the last generation 2013. XB1 PS4. For the same reasons in the second half of their life cycle.

Fgs Jim, I thought for a while... XD
My favourite has to be 5th gen and early 6th (1997 max) because that's before I got into Pascal and wasn't aware of anything internal in videogames. They were made by wizards with pointy hats, they put the stuff with a spell inside the circuit and then listen, scientists in white coat assembled the cartridge. That's how videogames were made back in 5th gen.

Why? What happened?
It's not really the intended use of the feature and can be considered spam. People will see and reply to your thread if they want to. You don't need to summon them.

I'm tempted to say 5th gen because I love great 2D and early 3D, and the Saturn is probably my single favourite system of all time. But it's hard to argue with the 6th gen, there were hundreds of great games release in that period. I mean, Shenmue, Metal Gear Solid 3, God Hand, Devil May Cry 3, Jet Set Radio, Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus etc etc etc.

Yeah, 6th gen for sure.

Hard to pick favorites. Either Gen 5 or 6. Both gen game birth to many great series I still love the early 3d graphics style. While the graphics were nearly not as detailed as today the graphics were unique because they had their own distinct style. The genres were also more appealing to me than the modern ones. No open world and genre mixes yet.

I'm tempted to say 5th gen because I love great 2D and early 3D, and the Saturn is probably my single favourite system of all time. But it's hard to argue with the 6th gen, there were hundreds of great games release in that period. I mean, Shenmue, Metal Gear Solid 3, God Hand, Devil May Cry 3, Jet Set Radio, Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus etc etc etc.

Yeah, 6th gen for sure.
This is what I mean we were spoilt! Maybe that's why today's gaming is not impressive to us.

Do you remember that you could get the PS1 chipped and you could get games for like £5?
I recall one shop somewhere in UK London (I was a kid, doowap music in my head, no remember the place) that was called "You Lucky!" or something like that.
And indeed I got there Tomb Raider 3 and Area51 with lightgun for nothing.
Ah and there was a stand for Dreamcast so cool, with a spotlight. I remember talking with other kids there how sexy console it was.

Edit: Heather Green area and this shop rings a bell anyone?

Reactions: red
I recall one somewhere in UK (I was a kid, doowap music in my head, no remember the place) that was called "You Lucky!" or something like that.
And indeed I got there Tomb Raider 3 and Area51 with lightgun for nothing.
Ah and there was a stand for Dreamcast so cool, with a spotlight. I remember talking with other kids there how sexy console it was.
Yeah you could find some real bargains in Cash Converters too and car boot sales were goldmines

for me, my favourite gaming era was the late 90s/very early 2000s. gen6? i owned all the best consoles at one point. ps1, dreamcast, xbox, ps2, gamecube and i played some really great games.

there is several games i regret not playing back in the day and others not completing, but i'll never buy or rebuy those games because secondhand game and old console prices are very expensive.

i never got into chipping consoles like member ADN but i took full advantage of the computer game stores return policy.. you could buy a game, play it and if you didn't like it*, you could return it for a full refund. i completed several games that way. (if i remember correctly, i think you had 5 days to return a game - that was more than enough time lol 🥸)

Ps2 era for sure now every games looks and play the same

Not the best if I'm going to be honest but the 16-bit era will always be my favourite. Aside from nostalgia, we are talking about a generation where cross-platform games would still end up as exclusives to their respective consoles, something never to be seen ever again. Also there's the Neo-Geo, the sprite king machine, which almost outlasted the following 2 gaming generations.

As for retro generations, I started from SNES, but I think my favorite is the Dreamcast and GameCube generation. It was a big and exciting leap from the previous generations.

However, my all-time favorite era is today. We are living in the golden age of indie gaming. The freedom of developers to materialize great ideas without need of big corporations (where brave ideas usually get axed) gives us overwhelming variety and control over what we play. Thanks to this era, I have enjoyed masterpieces such as Stardew Valley, No Man's Sky, Hollow Knight, Subnautica, Dredge, Tales of the Black Forest, Celeste, Coffee Talk and so many more games. This is the best time for owning a gaming PC, because of the sheer amount of titles and support a user can get.

Back