What is everyone's favourite generation for gaming?

Gamecube and Dreamcast era, very closely followed by the N64 era. I loved the box art for n64 and Dreamcast games...OOT and Shenmue 2 have to be my favourites.

Same with OP, 1999 - 2007
My fav 90s/2000s games, besides Shenmue, some of which have been remastered:
Star Ocean 2 (ps1)
SaGa Frontier (ps1 / steam/ps4 remaster)
Final Fantasy V (snes / steam remaster)
Final Fantasy VII - IX (ps1)
Monster Rancher 1-2 (ps1 and steam remaster)
The Sims 2 (PC - 2004)
Anarchy Online (PC - 2001)
Counter Strike 1.6 (PC - 2000?)

almost forgot to mention TES 3: Morrowind (PC / xbox - 2001? ish)

and then there was MGS2 for ps2 which was a great story
GTA 3, Vice City, and San Andreas also were pretty memorable to me
and also other DC games like Sonic Adventure 1 and 2

I still enjoy old JRPG remasters to this day. I even got a new gaming PC but I'm still playing these old games on it. Simply the best era of gaming.

Going to go with the PS4 era. There are a few reasons, but the important ones are listed:
- Great new IPs like Ghost of Tsushima, For Honor and A Plague Tale.
- Incredible continuations of established franchises like Uncharted 4, Witcher 3 and Tomb Raider.
- Ports of favorite classics like Shenmue 1 & 2, Resident Evil Remake, and the Mass Effect trilogy.
- Incredible remakes of favorites like Final Fantasy 7 and Resident Evil 2.

PS4 felt like a gift to me as it allowed me to consolidate almost all my favorite series onto one system. The only exception here is Dino Crisis. For me, it's a gaming swan song as after the latest Playstation event, I'm still left wondering why I bought a PS5. If PS5 couldn't play PS4 games, I wouldn't be using it.

Runner up is the PS1 due to the incredible leap to 3D and the equally incredible roster of new IPs like Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Dino Crisis, Oddworld, Destruction Derby, Twisted Metal, Warhawk, etc. etc. etc. Jumping into 3D opened a floodgate of possibilities.

This is a graph of the number of physical games I own, split by generation and console. I personally include the Switch in the 9th gen and Wii U in the 8th gen. Handhelds are not included. The 6th gen is my favourite by a mile! All companies were firing on all cylinders that generation. The Dreamcast is my favourite console of all time.

Screenshot_2023-05-31-10-29-51-458-edit_cn.wps.xiaomi.abroad.lite.jpg

Probably had most of my enjoyment with all the great Wii titles as well as having a new group of friends to play with online on the 360 for many years, also when I got my first job and was able to buy my own games instead of waiting for 1 or 2 a year.

PS4 was alright to start with as well, mostly for not being region locked for me. But it went downhill as Sony got too cocky and began deciding what content adults can consume.

Right now, both the Switch and a decent gaming laptop are pretty great and not terribly expensive either. Don’t do multiplayer as much now but there’s a ton of more varied single player games these days.

Tough call

About 10 years ago easily sixth generation due to Dreamcast (plus the other three were objectively great, too). Still definitely 6th gen although PS4 really made me happy. Sony finally gaining some humility from early PS3 turbulence and building such good momentum into PS4; they nailed the launch and entire life cycle. Yakuza, Shenmue, Ico, Rez, Grim Fandango, Stubbs Zombie, Psychonauts, Syberia revivals etc--what else there to say!? Funny now mentioning, all of them are from gen 6 haha

Honorable mention to 5th gen which began two of my top5/top10 favorites ever: RE and MGS. Not to mention NHL98 and NHL All Star 98 being best hockey games ever behind NHL2K2/2K3. Also, with S-Video the first polygonal games really did and still do shine nicely. Amazing how much better simply separating colors from B/W signals gave such crystal clarity (relative to 480i resolution).

Xbox 360 era because of the games and the fact I had my own money to buy them, time to play them and always had friends and family over to play them with. I loved the N64 era, but was a child and couldn't afford to buy many games for example.

The Xbox 360 era was a huge leap in quality of games for me. We also had games we've not really seen before such.

The era pretty much kicked off with things like Gears of War, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Skyrim and more.

There are good games in every period. The most impressive years of gaming for me are the 5th and 6th generations. Somewhere between 1995 and 2006. Not that I don't have some favorite games before and after this period, but they are significantly fewer in number.

Maybe this is the period where games start to get bigger and more expensive, but they still don't make them 100% with the mass audience in mind. That's exactly why people call it the golden years of gaming.

After this period, games seem to become more of a product for a certain target audience. It's like companies finally understand 100% how to make money without risks. It's cool to be in the audience of a good game , but that doesn't change the fact that gaming is becoming more of an industry (less of an art). Perhaps sometime in the future, when alternative ways of financing are discovered, we will see more games with original ideas and, above all, more risks. (Subsidies for culture, etc.)

Ок. If i have to choose only one generation it's got to be 6th (DC,PS2...). I also like arcade, NES and mega drive games... But since the 6th generation, games have become more and more a mixture of several arts in one. I really like games with movie elements in them. :D But still games with a nice balance between all elements, taking risks and a gameplay with more depth. Film characteristics, dialogue and characters are very important to my enjoyment. Along with the gameplay of course. :p

Last edited:
I don't know honestly if I have a fav generation. I know this current PS5 one has me playing less and less than any other previously.

There's so many truly great generations. The 8-16 bit is definitely up there. Seeing N64 and PS1 graphics for ff7 and Mario 64 were truly mesmerizing. Playing metal gear solid for the first time was a experience.

The DC PS2 era have 3 of my favorite games ever Shenmue 1-2 obviously and Shadow of the Colossus plus other magnificent gems like Okami, Silent hill 2 and 3, Power Stone 1/2, jet grind radio, fatal frame trilogy, ready to rumble boxing ,chu chu rocket, Virtua fighter 4, space channel 5. I know I'm blanking on a bunch that I'll remember after posting this lol like viewtful joe series, the halo series, those doa volleyball games weren't bad actually pretty decent volleyball games. That Shinobi spinoff game night shade I think it was called. Of course persona 3&4. that eternal darkness for the GameCube. Sonic Adventure and my favorite Sonic game Sonic Adventure 2. The list goes on and on so I guess I would have to say that one currently. though tomorrow it could change and I could rattle off a bunch of phenomenal 8/16 bit masterpieces.

Last edited:
Back