What Is Shenmue Project and What Does This Mean For Future Shenmue Games?

There's been a few users who have asked this question here and on podcasts that I've listened to. In the ending credits, you can find "Shenmue Project" as one of the studios listed. The question is who is part of Shenmue Project? Besides the anime, what are their goals? Who owns this studio? Will this lead to another game?

This is a speculation thread as this has me very curious to find out more.

I think there could be a possibility that Sega may have absorbed YSNET and formed this Shenmue Project team. Or if YSNET is still an independent studio, they are working closely with internal resources at Sega to assist in the areas Shenmue III could have used help in. Personally I think if we have the same cinematography and writing as the anime, then Shenmue IV would be in a good place. If I'm not mistaken, I believe some of the scriptwriters on the anime also worked on the original games. I will need to cross check.

I believe the best case scenario for Shenmue IV is to skip the independent publisher route (Deep Silver) and have it outright published and funded as a SEGA game. This would give YS the resources and budget he needs to make it into a quality next gen experience.

My gut feeling is that Shenmue Project is a part of an collaboration to develop Shenmue IV internally within SEGA. Specifically some key members within RGG studio that may have had some familiarity with the Shenmue games. They have already remade one of Yu Suzuki's games in their engine, so this would immediately resolve the combat issues that plagued III.

It would be a shame if this Shenmue Project team started and ended with the anime.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
I dont see Sega developing and footing the bill for Shenmue 4. They didn't even let Yu use all the licenses for Shenmue 3 and at that time Shenmue 3 Kickstarter was a huge success(highest funded video game Kickstarter). IMO if Shenmue 4 happens it has to get announced this year. You have to use the hype of the anime to propel the franchise. Shenmue is a niche title it needs all the help it can get to stay afloat. Shenmue 3 was released in 2019 and we haven't heard a peep about Shenmue 4. The only thing we do know is that Shenmue 3 sold "fine." Which at this point sounds like it sold poorly.

Cedric Biscay has already stated that if you are going to release a sequel you have to get started as soon as possible while the team and the assets are already in place. I only see three options:

1. Shenmue anime garners enough attention and Shenmue 4 gets developed.

2. Shenmue anime does well enough for more anime sequels but no publishers wants to make Shenmue 4 a reality.

3. Shenmue anime is not received well no further animes are released, no publisher wants to make Shenmue 4, maybe a few years from now Yu Suzuki releases a manga or book giving the series and the fans some kind of closure.

I dont see Sega developing and footing the bill for Shenmue 4. They didn't even let Yu use all the licenses for Shenmue 3 and at that time Shenmue 3 Kickstarter was a huge success(highest funded video game Kickstarter). IMO if Shenmue 4 happens it has to get announced this year. You have to use the hype of the anime to propel the franchise. Shenmue is a niche title it needs all the help it can get to stay afloat. Shenmue 3 was released in 2019 and we haven't heard a peep about Shenmue 4. The only thing we do know is that Shenmue 3 sold "fine." Which at this point sounds like it sold poorly.

Cedric Biscay has already stated that if you are going to release a sequel you have to get started as soon as possible while the team and the assets are already in place. I only see three options:

1. Shenmue anime garners enough attention and Shenmue 4 gets developed.

2. Shenmue anime does well enough for more anime sequels but no publishers wants to make Shenmue 4 a reality.

3. Shenmue anime is not received well no further animes are released, no publisher wants to make Shenmue 4, maybe a few years from now Yu Suzuki releases a manga or book giving the series and the fans some kind of closure.
If Shenmue 4 isn't already in development it's already a bad start. If it doesn't get announced this year at least then the chance it will come will shrink to almost nothing.

At this point I'm hopeful for a game sequel but have resigned to accepting number 2, that the story continues in anime form. At least I hope so. If the anime fails Shenmue may be toast again but I'm remaining optimistic

If Shenmue 4 isn't already in development it's already a bad start. If it doesn't get announced this year at least then the chance it will come will shrink to almost nothing.

At this point I'm hopeful for a game sequel but have resigned to accepting number 2, that the story continues in anime form. At least I hope so. If the anime fails Shenmue may be toast again but I'm remaining optimistic

Yu isn't getting any younger most of us aren't getting any younger. I bet most of us are 30-45 years old. We can't survive another prolonged delay.

TBH the Kickstarter alone should be good enough to get us Shenmue 4. Part of the reason I think Shenmue 3 sold "fine" was due to the majority of people interested supported the Kickstarter but not the retailer. I could be wrong.

I'm guessing "Shenmue Project" is the name of the collaboration or agreement between Sega and the anime company. I think the Crunchyroll site doesn't let you use the snipping tool and I'm too lazy to take a picture, but around 23:30 you can see the text:

Presented By
Shenmue Project

Sega Corporation
TMS Entertainment CO., LTD.​

With Sega as the licensee and TMS being the animation company (who's also owned by Sega!). Since Shenmue project is bolded and the two companies are listed below, that's my best guess.

At this point I'm honestly reserved to feeling "happy with whatever we can get at this point". Best case scenario is that we get Shenmue IV and the anime series going to the very end of the story. If they can't get enough money to get the game off the ground, then I'm fine with the story ending in anime form at the very least.

They gave Yu the Shenmue license which is why three were made. Just to clarify.

TBH the Kickstarter alone should be good enough to get us Shenmue 4. Part of the reason I think Shenmue 3 sold "fine" was due to the majority of people interested supported the Kickstarter but not the retailer. I could be wrong.
There is no way another Kickstarter would be successful. Too much negative press and a lot of the people that backed were non-Shenmue fans that knew about the legacy and wanted to support, but definitely weren’t enthused about the game when it came out if other forums/user reviews are anything to go by. Plus, that was back when Kickstarter was at its peak of popularity.

It's very likely just that project group that helped produce the anime and that's it.

There is no way another Kickstarter would be successful. Too much negative press and a lot of the people that backed were non-Shenmue fans that knew about the legacy and wanted to support, but definitely weren’t enthused about the game when it came out if other forums/user reviews are anything to go by. Plus, that was back when Kickstarter was at its peak of popularity.

I'm not saying do another Kickstarter. Im saying most people who were excited for Shenmue contributed during the Kickstarter. Most consumers aren't going to double tap purchases. We gotta see what the numbers would be if it released straight to retail. I believe 250k-500k is plausible. Now whether thats enough is a different question. Cedric Biscay stated that in order to do Shenmue 4 they want to make it bigger. I feel like thay means the Deep Silver bigwigs want to see more profits not break even.

Back