What is this b*11$h1t with the post-story game?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always feel so alone: why don't more people use the beautiful Dreamcast triggers to walk? Frees the stick for looking around during movement and no d-pad thumb cramps

I always do; allows me to run in a straight line, while I take a sip of a drink or a bite of food.

The load times are not worse than other games. For such a big game in 1999 the load times are fine. I would recommend the original poster to never touch the Dreamcast or PS2 Version of Half Life. That are bad loading times. They are everywhere .

Thank crap for the advancements in ODE technology...makes that Dreamcast version of Half Life somewhat more bearable.

(honestly, I can't go back to a Dreamcast GD Rom drive after being spoilt with the ODE)

My Dreamcast is still oldschool but I have heard many good things about the ode so mabye I am gonna update my DC with an ODE at same point this year.

Besides the load times the DC Port of Half Life is quite good it was really a pity that it never come out offically. Due to the long load times it was hard to bare though when you are used to the PC version like me.

Well, thank you for your replies, but most seem to be in the form "Well, yes you're right that is bad BUT excuse #1, excuse #2 ... excuse #n". If it's bad: it's bad, let's admit it. All these mitigating factors aren't going to bring my save back.

You had the entire game to play it at your pace and there's a decent amount of down time even when you're just focused in the story......you played it wrong.
It's not that I didn't do the side stuff it's that everything is so obscure and non-intuitive. Half the content like the shops and items haven't been implemented.

1. How was I supposed to know that you're supposed to give tuna to the cat? 90% of the items in your inventory cannot be used, he just looks and rotates them. I looked, and called and petted the Christ out of that cat otherwise.

2. Why would I waste my money on the slots when you get tokens in return and nothing is explained about what to do with the tokens? I talked to all the NPCs, read the manual, listened to the grotesque heads on the Passport disc, it explained nothing about what to do with the SEGA tokens.

It really sounds like that the original poster has not touched retro games since they were no retro yet. Most of the complaints sounds like from person that has not played any old games in ages.
Pokemon Red/Blue let you roam the world and do side things and collect Pokemon after you beat the story, it didn't kick yo u out of your save. That was 1996, so a lot of good games back then didn't have these design flaws.

I am a avid retro gamer and I know most of the times back then. i still play them from time to time and from a contemporay point of view it is really hard to say Shenmue has design flaws. And comparing a simple gameboy game without any npcs with a game like Shenmue that tries to simulate a full world with many npcs and different AI routes is a bit far fetched to say at least.

And there is nothing to admit here. you think it is bad. Fair point. Nobody here is trying to covince you other wise that is ok. Not everybody has to like the same game. Just do not expect too many allies here that sees things in the same way as you do.

Most of the Shenmue fans do not see things the way you do. It is not very surspring. You are a interesting type of fan. Focusing too much on the negative stuff. you even subscribe to fan forum just to tell everyone about the flaws of a game. Wouldn't it be better to focus more on the postive stuff?

Last edited:
Well, thank you for your replies, but most seem to be in the form "Well, yes you're right that is bad BUT excuse #1, excuse #2 ... excuse #n". If it's bad: it's bad, let's admit it. All these mitigating factors aren't going to bring my save back.

It's not that I didn't do the side stuff it's that everything is so obscure and non-intuitive. Half the content like the shops and items haven't been implemented.

1. How was I supposed to know that you're supposed to give tuna to the cat? 90% of the items in your inventory cannot be used, he just looks and rotates them. I looked, and called and petted the Christ out of that cat otherwise.

2. Why would I waste my money on the slots when you get tokens in return and nothing is explained about what to do with the tokens? I talked to all the NPCs, read the manual, listened to the grotesque heads on the Passport disc, it explained nothing about what to do with the SEGA tokens.

Pokemon Red/Blue let you roam the world and do side things and collect Pokemon after you beat the story, it didn't kick yo u out of your save. That was 1996, so a lot of good games back then didn't have these design flaws.
imagine comparing pokemon red/ blue with shenmue 🤡

BYruCB3.png

Last edited:

See what I'm seeing here is someone not willing to listen to others points of view.

You think these elements are bad. Users have challenged that with a rationale and yet you don't acknowledge any validity in those counter-points despite some common ground clearly being shown.

Just because YOU think it's bad doesn't make it objectively so and the originals would not have scored 9.7/10 (Shenmue 1) 8.3/10 + 88 on Metacritic (Shenmue 2) from IGN if they were as bad as you're making them out to be. Sure they have their faults but name me a game that doesn't. I'll wait until this metaphoric stone erodes from the wind while I ponder this very question.

Last edited:
I just want to add one more post here in this thread. This comparison with Pokemon red/blue doesn't make any sense to me. Yu Suzuki idea for Shenmue was about realism, in my opinion it makes sense that we can't go back to Yokosuka with the cleared save after we've finished the game, and this is one of the reasons.

At the end of the first game Ryo enter in a ship so he can go to Hong Kong, doesn't make any sense load the cleared save and appearing in Yokosuka again as if nothing happened in relation to the ending, Ryo in a ship to Hong Kong, because as i said Yu Suzuki idea for the game was about realism, as far as i remember this was his vision for the game, Pokemon is about realism? no.

There is no NG+ in this game, would be cool to have NG+ in the first game? in my opinion yeah but times were different. Shenmue III have NG+ and it is a cool option but at that time of the first game no NG+ in games.

Shenmue even gives the option for the player to transfer the save for Shenmue II, this way continue the journey with a lot of things we got in the first game and this is awesome.

I love the first game and to me it is a masterpiece, especially when i think this game was released in 1999 and was so ahead of its time about many things, looking at old games with 2022 lens doesn't make any sense to me, and i love old games.

You dislike Shenmue with all your heart? it's okay because people have different opinions but like 9dragons said, don't expect that people here will think the same way as you about the first game, what we are saying are not excuses, we just have different opinions, like spud1897 said... just because YOU think it's bad doesn't make it objectively so.

Last edited:

Yeah and as others here have already mentioned; games like Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX all just end forcing you to start a new game leaving behind all progress you made in previous saves. And those are considered to be three of the greatest games of that generation.

What's your point? My point is simple. Game design back then was like the Wild West. There was no template that everyone followed unlike today where everyone seems to just follow the same template as games become more and more homogenized.

Back then, it really was the Wild West where everyone had their own methods and ways of doing things. Mostly because 3D design was still in its experimental days.

I won't lie. I won't sit here and say Shenmue is perfect...it's not. No game is perfect. I mean I love Jet Set Radio with all my heart, but even that game is flawed to shit with its terrible camera system and sometimes too floaty controls.

Shenmue has its own issues...but you gotta remember. There is a level of defensiveness on this forum from people who have been in love with the franchise for over 20 years now. It's only natural they will get defensive if they think someone is being condescending to them. Just saying. I certainly don't think Shenmue is a perfect game. If I'm honest, there are numerous things I don't care for in it. The stealth section in the first game flat out sucks for one thing.

That and I do kind of agree the game can be a little too vague at times in explaining its certain systems. And this is a problem I've seen in a lot of first playthroughs. Take the Giant Bomb endurance run for example. It was frustrating to me as a fan but at the same time, it's not like the game really tells you how to use its systems (unless you look at the passport disc or manual first). And that was ultimately where their frustration came from. As frustrating as that playthrough was to me who is familar with the way Shenmue plays, it was also frustrating to them being completely unfamilar with how to get the most out of it.

It doesn't always do the best job explaining its systems...but at the same time, I can see the benefit in the fact that it does promote the idea of the player exploring its world and learning these things for themselves.

As much as I love Shenmue, it's far from a perfect game even to me.

Last edited:
I think your fundamental criticism, @SpaghettiCat, is valid. Shenmue I is a rough game in some aspects (while wonderfully unique in others). There are a lot of understandable explanations for why it is rough (which is what many people are giving you), but it doesn't change the fact it's rough in those aspects. And I give you that being "old" isn't one of those reasons. Games like Chrono Trigger had a NG+ way before Shenmue, and other games handled some things better, before.

But I also don't overlook you fundamentally liked the game. You already expressed that, but I also think it's obvious you wouldn't be so pissed off if you weren't eager to explore more a world that you enjoyed. With that in mind, I strongly encourage you to try Shenmue 2. Not only it is a wonderful game, but it is a clear step forward in many of the details that seem to bug you, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if, some time after playing those games, you eventually got the itch of giving them a second playthrough, and better "exploit" the time windows the plot gives you, knowing t beforehand. That's what I personally did during the Dreamcast days with both games, actually.

Finally, I'd also join those that ask you to soften your tone if possible. It really stands out (in a bad way) with how this forum goes along.

Last edited:
Games like Chrono Trigger had a NG+ way before Shenmue, and other games handled some things better, before.

This about Chrono Trigger i didn't knew, after i read this i started to reflect about something, i thought about a lot of things so i decided to post again here and share my thoughts.

A game without this feature means that this is a bad game design? it is wrong doing a game without this feature?

Old Final Fantasy games are RPG like Chrono Trigger but this games don't have NG+. this means that old FF games are inferior games? In my opinion no. A lot of J-RPGs don't have this feature and this games are good games in my opinion.

Every game needs to have this feature? every game needs to have the same style and design? in my opinion no. and artists have different styles on how to make a game, i really disagree that this is a bad design, especially because Yu Suzuki vision for the game was about realism at that time, we even have to wait for the bus to arrive in the game and i love this details in the first game.

This is one of the reasons why i don't agree comparing Shenmue with Pokemon, Crash, Spyro and other games, comparing things that have different styles and are totally different like this doesn't make any sense to me.

Would be nice a NG+ in the first game? would be nice but to me this is not an issue that the game doesn't have this feature, It didn't affect my enjoyment of the game at all, when i finished the first game for the first time in 2015 it was one of the most beautiful moments to me in relation to games, this game was an experience that i will never forget and now i'm a Shenmue fan.

Some people prefer the first Shenmue game than the second game because of the homely feel. slow pace and many other things, other people think that Shenmue II is better than the first game, and other people think that Shenmue III is more fun to play than the previous games, people have different opinions and that's okay.

At the end of the day is all about opinions and tastes people have about entertainment and art,

the whole flawed game design discusion is so hyperbole. What kind of game is Shenmue in the end? it is a story driven game with a unseen level of realism for 1999. The whole collecting stuff is just there to make the game more immersive. It was not designed to please trophy hunters and collectors in a (by 1999) far distant future. in story driven games the story is told at the terms of the story and not at the terms of the player.

Todays games are made for people that are into instant rewards. They want to see what they have done and they want to do stuff at their own terms. Nothing wrong with that but with that "specs" it is impossible to tell a good story. That is why modern open world story games suck at telling a story. Telling stories with quests while being distracted by so many side quests does not work at all.

Shenmue on the other hand is great with keeping eveything organically.

Shenmue does the things it want's to achive by the standards of the time. Flaws that people from the future (or our present) might see are not suitable to label Shenmue as flawed.

This would be as pointless as driving a car from the 1930s and then complain that the handling is different than your modern car.

Last edited:
Yeah, I too wake up in the middle of the night in cold sweats worried about those Sega Tokens and not getting to fully experience the slot house before the game ends.

No, but seriously, my 12 year old self, 21 years ago, somehow managed to work out that you feed fish to the cat and that there's a slot house where you can win tokens to redeem against collectables. I even worked out how to move Ryo with a d-pad. I don't know how I did it, I must have been a child genius or something.

I'm just shocked he didn't hit the blunt to calm the fuck down. lol

Did Suzuki not have a Gameboy?!
Yu Suzuki literally does not play games, you should see him trying to play Shenmue at GDC2000, even messes up and uses the quick jump feature instead of going to the garden lol

Clunkiest movement controls. I never touched the analog stuck, why it's the D-pad?!
I see you are new to the FREE genre of Shenmue, the correct way to play is to use the L/R trigger to walk run and left right on the D-Pad to turn, the pressure sensitive trigger gives precise control of walking speed, allowing full 360 head movement to look at the environment around you. Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment.

Screenshot from 2022-01-07 23-33-50.pngScreenshot from 2022-01-07 23-33-27.pngScreenshot from 2022-01-07 23-33-12.png

It feels like a waiting simulator (maybe this is a plus because I got so many chores done around the house "playing" this game)
THIS is the reason I couldn't ignore this thread.
You are moaning about having to wait around and not enjoy the bonus material when you are DOING HOUSE CHORES, instead of using this free time to play at the arcade, the slot house, the cat and collect and enjoy capsule toys... What?!?!?!?

Don't blame the game for the way you played it. The experience was relevant to the choices YOU MADE.
Shenmue is crafted to be different for every player every play through.
Yu Suzuki likes fine wine and Ferrari, and Shenmue is not like a can of larger in the park on a Friday night.

And all these boys talking about there is no NG+, after you beat the game you have the option of Magic Weather unlocked, where you can select the ACTUAL weather patterns in Yokosuka from that time period, who wouldn't want to replay!!

When learning moves the hint on the VMU only shows AFTER you executed the move correctly. I spent half an hour trying to do it
Master Chen explains the form TWICE!
You don't even have GON.

Don't blame the game for the way you played it. The experience was relevant to the choices YOU MADE.
Shenmue is crafted to be different for every player every play through.

jenn-jenn-robbins.gif

Exactly this. 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back