What is this b*11$h1t with the post-story game?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of the first game Ryo enter in a ship so he can go to Hong Kong, doesn't make any sense load the cleared save and appearing in Yokosuka again as if nothing happened in relation to the ending, Ryo in a ship to Hong Kong, because as i said Yu Suzuki idea for the game was about realism, as far as i remember this was his vision for the game, Pokemon is about realism? no.
At the very least the save can be marked "Cleared" (and unplayable) when the user decides to embark on the boat. The game should give him time to prepare for the journey and only leave when he's ready.
And if Shenmue was about realism it wouldn't put you in a fist-fight against 70 men and win.

A game without this feature means that this is a bad game design? it is wrong doing a game without this feature?

Old Final Fantasy games are RPG like Chrono Trigger but this games don't have NG+. this means that old FF games are inferior games? In my opinion no. A lot of J-RPGs don't have this feature and this games are good games in my opinion.
The crime is not that the game lacks NG+ or that it forces a pace onto the player. The crime is that it offers so many collectibles and side-content: a whole raffle sheet full of toys! Minigames that allow you to get rare collectibles. It dangles all this in front of the player but doesn't give them time or money to enjoy those things. It dangles it, cuts your time short and then destroys your save file. Chrono Trigger and FF doesn't have 100 collectibles and mini-games, and the ones it has it allows you to obtain and enjoy.

Yu Suzuki literally does not play games
That explains a lot about this game.
THIS is the reason I couldn't ignore this thread.
You are moaning about having to wait around and not enjoy the bonus material when you are DOING HOUSE CHORES, instead of using this free time to play at the arcade, the slot house, the cat and collect and enjoy capsule toys... What?!?!?!?
The game doesn't let me do the side stuff because I get 500 yen to spend for the day. I blow that on 5 toys or 3 raffles in 1 minute. Once the game gives me a job and money I have very little time to spend it before the game ends. What am I supposed to do for 8 in-game hours of waiting with 500 yen?
Don't blame the game for the way you played it. The experience was relevant to the choices YOU MADE.
Shenmue is crafted to be different for every player every play through.
The game didn't give me a choice. I wanted to stay on shore--that's the way I wanted to play it-- but it FORCED me onto a boat and said bon voyage.
Master Chen explains the form TWICE!
The game wants you to do Back, X (Punch), A (Kick). But "Master" Chen clearly does a grab before the kick, he doesn't punch at all! So I'm sitting there spamming "A" and "B" for what's clearly a grab... Even when I spoiled myself and saw that a punch is required the timing was so hard to get down I spammed the buttons until the game let me get on the damn boat.

PS: I didn't realise L trigger can be used for walking. Then yes you can walk and look around, cool to know. But then it feels more like controlling a vehicle than a person :S

Well, thank you for your replies, but most seem to be in the form "Well, yes you're right that is bad BUT excuse #1, excuse #2 ... excuse #n". If it's bad: it's bad, let's admit it. All these mitigating factors aren't going to bring my save back.

It's not that I didn't do the side stuff it's that everything is so obscure and non-intuitive. Half the content like the shops and items haven't been implemented.

1. How was I supposed to know that you're supposed to give tuna to the cat? 90% of the items in your inventory cannot be used, he just looks and rotates them. I looked, and called and petted the Christ out of that cat otherwise.

2. Why would I waste my money on the slots when you get tokens in return and nothing is explained about what to do with the tokens? I talked to all the NPCs, read the manual, listened to the grotesque heads on the Passport disc, it explained nothing about what to do with the SEGA tokens.

Pokemon Red/Blue let you roam the world and do side things and collect Pokemon after you beat the story, it didn't kick yo u out of your save. That was 1996, so a lot of good games back then didn't have these design flaws.
Feeding a cat is such a small part in the game. You may trigger one extra cutscene. But anyway, there are several parts in the game where you need to pull your inventory up and interact with a something, so I dont know why it would need to be explained just for the cat? Focus in object, pull up inventory, select item that would obviously go with what you're focused on(sword handguard to slot in the dojo, cat food to cat), confirm and that's it.

The slot house is just to win prizes.

Shenmue isnt supposed to hold your hand so if you are looking for step by step guidance in-game, you played it wrong. Even so, it's not difficult to discover these supposedly obscure events and activities

As far as the arcade, I dont know how you didnt make enough time to go there and play the games, when it's a big, colorful, flashing building with arcade sounds blaring from it. The heartbeats bar, you could've simply been like "fuck the bar owner" and gone back in there anyway. Did you just sit there thinking "gee, that bar owner is pretty mad, I guess I better not go back in there". Even if you go back, the guy just tells you to get out of his bar so you're not missing out on much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back