What is your estimated global sales of shenmue 3

It's a very hard situation to calculate

Shenmue 3 copies were sold on kickstarter and the slacker backer. Does that count?
Retail Shenmue 3 sales
Retail Shenmue 3 Collector editions sales
Epic an Steam sales
Fans who double or triple bought copies and never played them
The trophy glitch that doesnt register everyone on gamestat
The new complete collectors edition sales
etc

Deep silver said it was a game that drove most of their sales in the fall of 2019 and did financially fine

I don't know how we can assess it accurately, but I'll say this, if Shenmue 3 was a flop or just broke even, why on earth would they be trying to get a bigger budget for the sequels? That tells me it did better than we think

We also have an anime being developed

Deep silver said it was a game that drove most of their sales in the fall of 2019 and did financially fine

I don't know how we can assess it accurately, but I'll say this, if Shenmue 3 was a flop or just broke even, why on earth would they be trying to get a bigger budget for the sequels? That tells me it did better than we think
Yeah this is odd. For me I'd have thought that most of the Kickstarter money went on groundwork i.e getting staff working with Unreal tools, physics, fighting engine, in-game economy, coding and all that stuff

That's already there now so why do they need a bigger budget than before?

I understand the drive to make a bigger and better game but that can be done without anything drastic besides adding depth to the combat system

I just hope Yu realizes he may need to reign in his expectation on what he can do with a low budget or we may never see an end to Shenmue in game form.

The Anime is a bit of a trojan horse because if we can't get more Shenmue games at least we might see the story to it's conclusion before we're all dead

Just checked SteamSpy, right now the sales are between 0-20'000. On steamspy the numbers are by slice. So we know that it's less than 20'000. It could be 100 or 19'999 for that matter. Also it says "owner" not "buyers", so every PC backer that received their Steam Key is calculated in that number.

The 12'000 you're talking about are the followers. You can follow games on Steam without necessarily owning it.

So, yeah, I do think the total sales on Steam are really low.

For what it's worth, the Steam release had a peak 335 concurrent users (so 335 people playing the game at the same time). That's nearly 5 times less than what Shenmue I-II had at launch on Steam. And in those 335 users, some of them might have had the game through kickstarter.

So yeah, even without taking into account Steam keys, that's a rather low numbers especially with such a high discount. They just fucked up their launch, that was expected.

For what it's worth, the Steam release had a peak 335 concurrent users (so 335 people playing the game at the same time). That's nearly 5 times less than what Shenmue I-II had at launch on Steam. And in those 335 users, some of them might have had the game through kickstarter.

So yeah, even without taking into account Steam keys, that's a rather low numbers especially with such a high discount. They just fucked up their launch, that was expected.
Also fwiw they extended the discount from ending on November 25th (so today) to December 1st. I hope this means they have some kind of plan for diverting more traffic towards the release.

FWIW I would be fine with IV looking just like III does, just uniform the NPCs to a single style and do a bit of tidying up. Environmentally, I think it's a genuinely beautiful game, punching well above it's weight in regards to budget.
Yeah, for me too. Just make better staging and change the combat System, and then I'm good.

At this point, I'll totally accept a combat system that is like Sleeping Dogs/Batman Arkham. I'm pretty sure it's easier and more cost-efficient than doing a real VS Fighting combat system. Also, it attracts people, the mass like that system. So, it would be cost-efficient, attract more people, while still respecting martial arts and keeping the "awareness" you have to have to dodge, attack, counter-attack on time.

Also fwiw they extended the discount from ending on November 25th (so today) to December 1st. I hope this means they have some kind of plan for diverting more traffic towards the release.
Damn, for me this is not really good news tbh. Because it'll be on sale until December 1st, then you'll have the winter/chistmas sales mid december, so at this point it's like they abandonned the idea to sell the game at full price.

Damn, for me this is not really good news tbh. Because it'll be on sale until December 1st, then you'll have the winter/chistmas sales mid december, so at this point it's like they abandonned the idea to sell the game at full price.

If they wanted to sell the game at full price, that was a year ago, not a year later.

Considering how little they communicated, I doubt they do.

Yeah, for me too. Just make better staging and change the combat System, and then I'm good.

At this point, I'll totally accept a combat system that is like Sleeping Dogs/Batman Arkham. I'm pretty sure it's easier and more cost-efficient than doing a real VS Fighting combat system. Also, it attracts people, the mass like that system. So, it would be cost-efficient, attract more people, while still respecting martial arts and keeping the "awareness" you have to have to dodge, attack, counter-attack on time.

I do like those styles and they suit those games as you're nearly always up against multiple enemies, but I personally prefer the slower and more deliberate pacing of traditional Shenmue combat. If they added throws, a parry system, made recovery from hard knockdowns quicker and just improved the hit feedback that would go along way in making it feel really good. When it's good it can be really good (see the fight with Ge at the entrance to the castle, that kind of classic 1 v 1 showdown with the cinematic QTE's are my favourite, just wish III had more of them)

I do like those styles and they suit those games as you're nearly always up against multiple enemies, but I personally prefer the slower and more deliberate pacing of traditional Shenmue combat. If they added throws, a parry system, made recovery from hard knockdowns quicker and just improved the hit feedback that would go along way in making it feel really good. When it's good it can be really good (see the fight with Ge at the entrance to the castle, that kind of classic 1 v 1 showdown with the cinematic QTE's are my favourite, just wish III had more of them)
Yes, I agree that the combat system isn't as bad as some people say (like SEW saying it's catastrophic...). But I'm still wondering, since all those improvements takes time and money. Now, I'm not a developer and am not in the video game business. But I wonder which would be the cheapest while being good and attract as much people as possible, because we need Shenmue 4 to be successful to ensure Shenmue 5. So I wonder which strategy would be good.

I think though, that the Sleeping Dogs style combat system could be tweaked to be slower-paced, and more strategic. I don't know who realist it would be.

Thing is, it doesn't seem to be selling, even at that price.
They should consider a Shenmue I & II & III discount bundle, if that's possible across 2 publishers. That might move the needle a little bit, but other than that -- if we assume Deep Silver aren't going to spend another cent on promotion -- then the game is destined to do poorly on Steam.

I don't think it was ever going to do great on any PC platform, but a year later? When literally no one is talking about the game? Expectations should be at rock bottom.

Just checked SteamSpy, right now the sales are between 0-20'000. On steamspy the numbers are by slice. So we know that it's less than 20'000. It could be 100 or 19'999 for that matter. Also it says "owner" not "buyers", so every PC backer that received their Steam Key is calculated in that number.

The 12'000 you're talking about are the followers. You can follow games on Steam without necessarily owning it.

So, yeah, I do think the total sales on Steam are really low.
I mean, it’s in the high 100s (or it was a few days ago) a week after release at a steep discount. It’s certainly not selling tons. I couldn’t even get enough interest on Resetera to get my thread to two pages.

Back