What Movie Are You Watching?

Truck_1_0_1_

I Don't Know, but I Have You!
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
1 CC on Mania attempt at Final Fight CD (Sega CD)
PSN
Truck_1_0_1_
Steam
Truck_1_0_1_
Re-watched, last night,

Get Out (2017), with my wife.

We've basically seen this film once every year, since we saw it opening weekend in 2017 (after Keanu was a great laugh, we became Jordan Peele fans) and last night was this year's viewing!

We've talked about it to death on here so no need to give (another) synopsis, however the use of writing, imagery and Chekhov's guns/Chekhov's skills/Chekhov's whatevers, is arguably the best of any film I've seen and I'm still so impressed on every subsequent viewing; EVERYTHING shown on screen has a purpose. EVERYTHING shown on screen is tied back to something earlier in the film or later in the film. EVERYTHING is so well-connected, it shows the depths that Peele went in his writing, it is a truly-brilliant film.

A (rounded) 10/10

If there's enough time tonight (which there should be), I think we'll take in Shawshank; a wonderful film, I haven't watched it since 2008/9 or so; it's been a long time.

bcdcdude

Dude with tweed :)
Currently playing
Final Fantasy VII Remake / The Last of Us
PSN
bcdcdude
Steam
bcdcdude
I was genuinely surprised with Get Out! I'm not sure if I prefer that or 'Us', but Jordan Peele is a very talented fellow~!

Truck_1_0_1_

Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
PSN
Truck_1_0_1_
Steam
Truck_1_0_1_
I was genuinely surprised with Get Out! I'm not sure if I prefer that or 'Us', but Jordan Peele is a very talented fellow~!
Definitely prefer Get Out, as it is a much more cerebral film (and while I don't mind gore, I'm not a huge fan of realistic/squicky gore, probably why I'm not a fan of the horror genre in general) and writing is what gets it with me; The Social Network is an absolutely fantastic screenplay and that's why I love that film (that first scene is brilliant).

We didn't watch Shawshank, sadly, but we did take in Mrs. Doubtfire!

Mrs. Doubtfire (1993):

IMO, still Robin Williams' best performance ever in a film and with Sally Field, the two leads are bonafide actors with excellent acting chops (Field is one of the 3 best actresses I've ever watched, in terms of pure acting chops). I love the direction in this film, as no scene is truly wasted or out of place, IMO;
bucking the trend of, "getting the parents back together for the happy ending," is done brilliantly and realistically, not to mention it doesn't give a false hope to any kids who come from divorced families, who would watch this film.

For those who don't know, Daniel and Miranda Hillard get divorced after a big fight, revolving around their only son's birthday party (they have 3 kids in total, 2 girls, 1 boy). As Miranda is the larger bread-winner and the, "more-reliable," parent (I say in quotes because that is the perception, when in reality it isn't), she is given custody of the kids, which tears Daniel apart.

After Miranda places a classified ad for a Housekeeper, Daniel modifies it and concocts a plan to become said housekeeper, by dressing in drag as an elderly Scottish woman, to beyond-hilarious and lesson-learning results. Don't want to say much more, because you should watch it, if you haven't.

Also a progressive film in a way, with many drag/trans themes that crop up and with Harvey Fierstein in it, you know there will be a gay angle; as mentioned previously (in TLOU2 thread, predominantly), adding these themes to your film as a means of protest/pushing an agenda/etc., is ridiculous and the wrong way to do it, however in Doubtfire, it all becomes part of the scenery and part of the film, without sensationalizing it or misconstruing things to play up to people (being set in San Francisco in the 90s, doesn't hurt either).

It is such a great and fun film to watch, with a poignant message and casted brilliantly, definitely a great family film (for the most part lol) and essential viewing if you're a Williams, Field or general comedy fan.

9/10

I remember seeing this in the movie theater and I found Sally Field's character in this movie to be a bitch. It has been a while since I have seen it and there may be more to it than these two clips provide, but I never liked that arrangement she left him with. Granted he was over the top it would appear at times, but I think she was just being selfish.

This video stutters for some reason...

And this one takes a few seconds before it starts...

Just watched the D.O.A Dead or Alive movie. I'm still laughing and shaking my head, this movie is sooooo bad it's actually comical and worth watching(not worth spending $$$ on it though). It's about time something with the DOA name on it turned out better than something with the Tekken name on it. The Tekken movie was bad and mostly because it took itself too seriously, at least with the DOA movie they seemed self aware that it was going to be really bad, so they played to the strengths of how bad it is. I don't see why people have an issue with the DOA movie, it's just as bad and filled just as much mindless entertainment as the games that share its name.

Truck_1_0_1_

Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
PSN
Truck_1_0_1_
Steam
Truck_1_0_1_
I remember seeing this in the movie theater and I found Sally Field's character in this movie to be a bitch. It has been a while since I have seen it and there may be more to it than these two clips provide, but I never liked that arrangement she left him with. Granted he was over the top it would appear at times, but I think she was just being selfish.

This video stutters for some reason...

And this one takes a few seconds before it starts...

I will definitely say, Sally Field's character is tons too harsh, but this is the reality of many divorced couples; one side tends to be the aggressor and the other is dumped on the street; they definitely got that part right.

I will also say that yesterday, I saw the 32 minutes of cut/deleted scenes from the film (which I had no idea ever existed) and while Robin Williams' character is obviously frustrated with his predicament, he gets a couple of scenes where he's just as angry and aggressive as Sally Field's character, so the give and take is done in a very-realistic way.

It's also the nature of the proceedings; the mother usually gets custody, but if the father has no home (obviously, the home was in her name) and coincidentally quits his job right when everything happens, custody cases would never favour the father in those situations. The kids should always come first, but sometimes (most-times, in my experiences) the parents' selfishness comes out and hurts those involved.

FTR, my parents are and have been, happily-married for almost 40 years now (40 next year) and I didn't know what the word, "divorce," meant, until I was 8 years old; then I started gaining more friends and literally half of them, upon going over their houses, were divorced; I saw a lot of bad stuff going down and coming from a VERY stable and loving home, I could never understand what I was seeing and it always felt awkward/weird.

From my experiences, Doubtfire got that part down perfectly.

Just watched the D.O.A Dead or Alive movie. I'm still laughing and shaking my head, this movie is sooooo bad it's actually comical and worth watching(not worth spending $$$ on it though). It's about time something with the DOA name on it turned out better than something with the Tekken name on it. The Tekken movie was bad and mostly because it took itself too seriously, at least with the DOA movie they seemed self aware that it was going to be really bad, so they played to the strengths of how bad it is. I don't see why people have an issue with the DOA movie, it's just as bad and filled just as much mindless entertainment as the games that share its name.

I'm not actually mad at your post lol, but I just vehemently disagree; DOA is NOT a bad film at all, but it isn't some masterpiece either; the plot is sound, but not brilliant. The acting is good, but far from great. The sets are awesome and the script is mediocre to good.

That isn't a bad film at all; it's a 6-7/10 and nothing better; films that are self-aware, but not over-the-top (like the Seltzer/Friedberg films) are not bad if there is a coherent plot and it isn't laden full of goofs, which DOA is far from.

The only real niggling issue I had was (and I know not every actress is large-chested) in terms of character authenticity, the women should all have been larger-chested, as that was one of the main elements of the game; they got the guys downpat (when they were on-screen lol), but the chicks? eh...

And I love Jamie Pressley; pretty much anything I've seen her in, she's been superb and great eye-candy, but she doesn't really fit the Tina Armstrong mould.

At first I did not even know what I was watching. Dead or Alive needs big chested women in them. This was just lame to be honest in that regards. If this was a normal film I would not mind, but DOA might as well be called BFT or Big Floppy Titties. Anyone remember the big bouncy boob cheat on the PS1? A thing of beauty and a work of art. ^^!

Also a big thing for me is the authenticity of the actors to their roles. If you have no idea how to pull off any of these moves and are literally just hanging by wires or looking so awkward while doing it, like when big guys blink when firing weapons it annoys me. And I understand DOA is unrealistic in their move sets, but if you can not even do a high kick or a spin kick, stick to boxing only or a role not fighting.

From the thumbnail, I actually thought this was a remake of the classic movie D.O.A.

A decent movie in my opinion. Old, but surprisingly good.

This is the full movie.

Last edited:

bcdcdude

Currently playing
PSN
bcdcdude
Steam
bcdcdude
I've had the week off work (if indeed working from your bedroom can be considered a holiday). I managed a few day walks, but also watched another 10 films~

1) Beauty & The Beast (Gary Trousdale & Kirk Wise, 1991): This doesn't work on a PS4 so had to put this off for months. This is the first time i've seen it since I was 6 years old in 1991. It was the first time I went to the cinema, so I have happy memories of this film. In between, having since seen the Disney live action remake, Jean Cocteau's gorgeous 1945 version and Walerian Borowczyk's avant-garde erotica adaptation La Bete (it truly has to be seen to be believed if you have the stomach for it...), it still holds up very well. I'm a sucker for a soppy romance <3

2) Le Havre (Aki Kaurismaki, 2011): A more gentle comedy/drama, but still dry as hell about a small community helping an illegal immigrant avoid deportation. It felt like a fantasy film, but the sincerity was lovely to see in this age of cynicism.

3) End of Summer (Jóhann Jóhannson, 2014): Dreamy silent black & white documentary shot on 8mm. I had to watch it twice as I fell asleep the first time around, but seeing as very little happens and the music (he is a composer foremost) is so dreamy, it works as a sort of lullaby.

4) Inseminoid (Norman J. Warren, 1982): Low budget UK horror that riffs on Alien and The Thing. It's pretty naff, but you can tell that Warren and co were sincere in trying to make the best film they could! A fun little watch that could've done with being 10 minutes shorter.

5) Friday The 13th Part IV: The Final Chapter (Joseph Zito, 1984): The worst of the 4 so far. I have seen 8 of them many years ago, but there's little charm in this one, it has to be said. The twins are cool though!

6) Wings For Wheels: The Making of 'Born To Run' (Thom Zimny, 2005): Bruce Springsteen is my hero. In anticipation of his new album tomorrow, I watched this documentary for the first time in 15 years. Born To Run is a true all killer, no filler album, but it's one I don't often listen to as I prefer other albums of his. The dedication and craft Springsteen applies is nothing short of astounding. I adore the man and I adore the E Street Band <3

7) The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (Jacques Demy, 1964): Beautiful, dreamy musical that was a clear influence on La La Land (one of my favourite films of the last decade). All the dialogue is sung and the use of colour is whimsical. Watching it on a huge screen was a huge thrill for me!

8) Home on the Range (Will Finn & John Sanford, 2004): Low grade Disney fodder. I went in with zero expectation and it actually wasn't bad. But it's clear by this point that their heart wasn't in cel-shading animation anymore. Apart from The Princess and the Frog, this was the last traditionally animated Disney classic.

9) The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Aaron Sorkin, 2020): I don't do Netflix, so I paid to watch this on the big screen. Sorkin is one of the best screenwriters of the modern era, so a courtroom drama with his writing is always a treat.

10) Volver (Pedro Almodóvar, 2006): Astonishing drama and one of Almodóvar's best. So many twists and turns and yet it's quite easy to keep up with. A modern masterpiece.

So, I'm much luckier with this batch than the last 10!

Truck_1_0_1_

Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
PSN
Truck_1_0_1_
Steam
Truck_1_0_1_
I've had the week off work (if indeed working from your bedroom can be considered a holiday). I managed a few day walks, but also watched another 10 films~

1) Beauty & The Beast (Gary Trousdale & Kirk Wise, 1991): This doesn't work on a PS4 so had to put this off for months. This is the first time i've seen it since I was 6 years old in 1991. It was the first time I went to the cinema, so I have happy memories of this film. In between, having since seen the Disney live action remake, Jean Cocteau's gorgeous 1945 version and Walerian Borowczyk's avant-garde erotica adaptation La Bete (it truly has to be seen to be believed if you have the stomach for it...), it still holds up very well. I'm a sucker for a soppy romance <3

Still one of the top 3 in the Disney Animated Canon, it is a wonderful film and has a wonderful Aesop as well. Paige O'Hara, Jerry Orbach (just incredible) and Robby Benson do, IMO, the best voice work out of any Disney film and the animation/rotoscoping techniques used are phenomenal.

There's a reason why it's the only film in the Canon to be nominated for Best Picture ;).

FTR, I would the top 3 as:

1. The Lion King
2. Beauty & the Beast
3. Aladdin

Currently playing
Yakuza Kiwami; very soft music, lest I wake the neighbors
Though I'm spooked by being behind on DMs here (and life in general), I'm more terrified yet by The Lighthouse (2019).
It's genuinely unnerving, as it presents well that sense of horror in terms of psychological breakdown and isolation (cf. The Thing) vs. cheap jump scares.

Also, if you like references to art, I agree with one review that stresses it as a "pictorial" film. An example, albeit spoilerly:

lighthouse comparison.jpg

bcdcdude

Currently playing
PSN
bcdcdude
Steam
bcdcdude
Though I'm spooked by being behind on DMs here (and life in general), I'm more terrified yet by The Lighthouse (2019).
It's genuinely unnerving, as it presents well that sense of horror in terms of psychological breakdown and isolation (cf. The Thing) vs. cheap jump scares.

Also, if you like references to art, I agree with one review that stresses it as a "pictorial" film. An example, albeit spoilerly:

I really enjoyed this film! I also loved that the aspect ratio was so *bizarre*

I'd love to watch it again in a dark room!

bcdcdude

Currently playing
PSN
bcdcdude
Steam
bcdcdude
Still one of the top 3 in the Disney Animated Canon, it is a wonderful film and has a wonderful Aesop as well. Paige O'Hara, Jerry Orbach (just incredible) and Robby Benson do, IMO, the best voice work out of any Disney film and the animation/rotoscoping techniques used are phenomenal.

There's a reason why it's the only film in the Canon to be nominated for Best Picture ;).

FTR, I would the top 3 as:

1. The Lion King
2. Beauty & the Beast
3. Aladdin
Ah! For me, my 3 favourites are Aladdin, 101 Dalmations and Fantasia :)

Truck_1_0_1_

Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
PSN
Truck_1_0_1_
Steam
Truck_1_0_1_
Awesome on 101 :D! While I'm not a huge fan of Fantasia on the whole (I've never seen the entire film, start to finish), "The Sorcerer's Apprentice," is ingrained in my memory since I was a kid and the tune that stumbles into my head EVERY DAY OF MY LIFE, is the tune of that segment, when the brooms start multiplying (doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo, etc., the most famous part of the song lol)

My actual 5 favourites are:

5. Aladdin
4. The Great Mouse Detective <3
3. The Aristocats <3 <3 <3
2. The Lion King (I love Hamlet; I also feel it is Shakespeare's best work)
1. 101 Dalmations <3 <3 <3<3 <3 <3<3 <3 <3 x 100 lol

As for the 5 I think are the best, in addition to the 3 mentioned in my post above:

1. The Lion King
2. Beauty and the Beast
3. Aladdin
4. Zootopia
5. The Hunchback of Notre Dame

I like the rougher drawings/Wolfgang Reitherman films, but I acknowledge they aren't the best of the Canon. Vincent Price, IMO, gives the best performance ever for a Disney Villain in TGMD, hence why it ranks high for me and I'm just a really big fan of the animals in Disney films (Zootpia is my 6th favourite lol). 101 also introduced me to crass human language and the constant use of, "idiot," and, "shut up," was (and has! lol) been used by me quite a bit since I was a kid.

Hunchback doesn't get nearly the love it deserves and it is beyond-brilliant and Zootopia does get the credit it deserves, but Frozen just steals the spotlight, despite it being easily the most-overrated of the films in the canon.

If you go back to the first few pages of this thread, you will see how I loved the Black Cauldron as well; not nearly as bad as people make it out to be and I LOVED the subject matter; shouldn't have been a Disney film, IMO.

A blast from the past! I saw these before I even knew what anime was!

Unico 1- The Fantastic Adventures of Unico

Unico 2- Unico in the Island of Magic (This can still quite possibly send a shiver down my spine, at certain aspects of the movie...)

Last edited:

red

a few days ago i saw "inheritance" (netflix), it's new film with simon pegg and lily collins. it's just a really bad film.. bad acting :censored: don't really know why the newspapers/media are hyping up lily collins.. yes she is pretty but shes not really a great actress.