What Movie Are You Watching?

Deadwood The Movie. All the wait, tease and tension from a masterpiece of a series finally culminating into a satisfying conclusion, and it couldn't have been better.

Been in a bit of a Yakuza mood lately

Cops vs. Thugs -- Directed by the legendary Kinji Fukasaku (Battle Royale, Battles without Honor or Humanity)...the man knew how to make a damn good Yakuza film. It's not quite up there with the best of his work, but it is a reminder as to why he was so damn good as a film maker. A typical cops vs thugs romp, but a quite enjoyable one.

I really wish Ryu Ga Gotoku studios would draw influence from Kinji Fukasaku's Yakuza films and do a Ryu Ga Gotoku game set in the 70's...would be an awesome period piece. All they would need to do is draw influence from the Battles Without Honor or Humanity series.

Doberman Cop -- Based on a classic Japanese manga, a pretty brisk and basic procedural about a tough as nails cop investigating a brutal murder in the popular district of Shinjuku (sounds like Judgement, don't it? :D ). Think almost a Japanese version of Dirty Harry. Sonny Chiba is fantastic (as always) and Kinji Fukasaku's direction is top notch (as always).

Due to the review from Red Letter Media, I watched Bone Tomahawk (2015) today. I love Westerns and a slow burn, but the last third of that film made me genuinely sick to my stomach; that hasn't happened in years.
It was worth it: S. Craig Zahler knows how to write a genuinely horrid situation and film it in a way that captures the visuals and sound in just the right manner. Maybe I'm getting softer as I get older, but that was somehow both barbaric and beautiful.

I've only seen one film of his, but I agree; his writing is absolutely brilliant.

While leads me to!

Dragged Across Concrete (2018)

Technically, it was completed in 2018, but got its (limited) theatrical release in 2019.

Starring Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughan (which ruined this film's chances of success from the get go, as both are {still} not particularly well-liked in Hollywood), the film is a MASSIVE slow burn and at some points, I definitely get how people would be bored out of their minds (there's a shot where a good 3-5 minutes go by, no cuts, one shot, of the two of them in a car, while Vince Vaughan eats a sandwich. It is a HILARIOUS scene that went over the heads of a ton of people who saw the film), but I don't think this film is for them.

This is a slow, cerebral, "connect the dots," film, not a buddy cop thriller like it seems to be from looking at the cover. The acting between the two leads is just awesome to watch and their have great chemistry with each other. Gibson's dialogue is fantastic and he owns his character perfectly, 'til the bitter end. Vaughan is the same, though he plays a character more like his other roles, as opposed to Gibson who becomes this role. Their banter is hilarious too and the writing keeps it interesting and engaging.

The supporting cast includes cameos by a few, somewhat big-names and Michael Jai White (who has a similarly good rapport with his cousin in the film, played by Tory Kittles, who steals the show at times); all play their characters quite well and this all culminates with solid scenes throughout, be it action-packed or quiet dialogue.

Essentially, Gibson and Vaughan play two cops who have been suspended without pay, for doing something non-politically correct (which Gibson lampshades brilliantly; it can be perceived that he's talking about his real life as well, in this scene). In order to make the cash they need to reach their short-term goals, they decide to rob a group of bank robbers. Don't want to spoil anything else, in case people pick it up.

From the second conversation in the film (between White and Kittles, as the first is between Kittles and {I believe} a prostitute), you can tell this a brilliantly-written film, as the words chosen for the dialogue are not your everyday slang and short form; once Gibson and Vaughan appear on the scene, the dialogue gets even better.

A fantastically-written film that has many surprises and (brutal) imagery at times, this is a must-view for Gibson, Vaughan, Zahler or dialogue-driven film fans.

10/10

EDIT* Forgot to mention; despite the crapton of 1/10, "reviews," on imdb and the like, the film is still over 7/10 on IMDB and rated high on RT (76%, I think?). Thus, I think the wrong audience hit this film.

saw the new laurel and hardy movie. i thought it was pretty good.

anyone looking forward to the new terminator film?

Ever since Brawl in Cell Block 99, I’ve been a HUGE fan of Zahler. I happened to pick up Bone Tomahawk on bluray in a bargain bin and it may have been one of the better decisions I ever made. I’m not a huge fan of westerns, and I’m pretty much had the film on as background noise...until the last hour. When shit got real.

I’ve been looking forward to Dragged Across Concrete since it was announced. I picked it up a while ago, but unfortunately I haven’t had the time to sit down with it yet.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles
268x0w.png

Really love this movie, one of my favorite!

a small portion of planes, trains... was filmed near where I've lived for a few years.

Haven't watched a entire movie for quite a while, but this trailer alone should net Joaquin Phoenix an Oscar in my eyes.

I don't like it to watch Horror-Movies in cinemas. The only one exception i will is for the new "IT"-Movie. I saw the first movie and yes i was very scared the full movie long but it was fun to watch and Bill Skarsgard is awesome in the role of the modern Pennywise. I saw some snippets from the movie and it looks awesome. I watch "Chapter Two" movie on sunday.

Some rumors about "Chapter Three" but i ask me how it should works without the Losers Club. Pennywise is not Freddy Krueger.;)

If they do a 3, it will merely be a cash-in, I feel; the book ended after the timeskip, so why create a new story, just to make money?

I will be seeing 2 tonight; still have to get my tix!

So, we indeed went to take in It 2.

It Chapter Two (2019):

Starts off well-enough, with a fairly unsettling scene, before directly jumping into the plot. The film makes VERY good use of flashbacks to the younger years, which is the high point in the plot and acting, I find.

The adults do a great job acting, though they can be a bit hammy at times; a lot of the humour appears to be forced and the amount of laughing at, "Your Mom," jokes baffles me to this day; shoehorning those jokes for some cheap laughs, smacks of poor writing, which the film does suffer from at times (very predictable and reusing the same pieces, over and over). For example, each adult goes through a flashback, to, "face," Pennywise and each is LITERALLY the same setpiece, just with a different, "monster," and a different location.

There was a satisfying ending and thankfully, it DIDN'T open up a chance for another sequel.

Bill Skarsgaard is beyond awesome.

8/10

Spoiler-Alert in my post

I saw It Chapter Two on Sunday morning. It was, again, a great movie and the movie is long but it feels not long to me. The Cameo of Stephen King is fantastic in this movie. The scene where Bill Hader imitates Pennywise in the Clubhouse was awesome, i first thought really he is there. ^^ And to see Bill Skarsgard without Mask was great, but to short. There was one scene i miss from the Trailer: Pennywise jumps out from a window and he stands on the wall like people on the ground.

Andy Muschietti says he will make more scenes with Pennywise in the future and will make a supercut. After The Lord of the Rings i think the Supercut could be very interesting with more Story. We will see.

Chapter Two was a good second half and both movies works very great todether with the awesome TV-Version with Tim Curry.

Edit: For those of who are interested to watch a bigger interview with Andy and Barbara Muschietti, the creators of both "IT"-Movies, here is a interview from Kino Plus (Rocket Beans TV) completely in english (1 hour long!)

My own english is to bad to understand everything, but i understood some parts.

Edit2: I watching right now "The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance" on Netflix. It's a beautiful series. I love the Gelflings since my childhood in the 80s. The Pile of Shame for Star Wars is very big when you can see how the new Henson-Generation makes a new project with this old Movie from 1982 and Star Wars is ruined today. It's very sad.

Edit 3: Since the german voice-actor of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone is retired back in March of this year because of medicinal reasons, there is no reason to me to watch any further Terminator-Movies with Arnie.

In german: Seitdem der deutsche Synchronsprecher Synchronsprecher von Arnold Schwarzenegger und Sylvester Stallone in diesem Jahr in Ruhe-Stand gegangen war, seit MΓ€rz diesen Jahres, gibt es fΓΌr mich keinen weiteren Grund mehr einen Terminator-Film oder Filme mit Arnie und Sly anzuschauen. Eine Γ„ra ist zuende. :-(

Edit 4: I watched "Joker" today and it was an awesome movie. An Oscar for Joaquin Phoenix please! He is great. And the german localisation is awesome, too. High quality translation.

Last edited:
Got home early yesterday, so took in:

Dark City (1998):

Cult film to the max! I hadn't even heard of this film until I became a massive fan of the Crow, in 2007/8 or so, but for some strange reason, didn't pick it up until about a month ago: I am foolish for waiting so long.

John Murdoch (played very well by Rufus Sewell, who does a GREAT American accent) awakens in a bathtub and has no idea who he is, where he is and what has happened (recently). He finds clothes, gets dressed and sees that a hooker is dead in his room, along with a bunch of circles carved into her (that are bloody).

He narrowly escapes before 3 shadowy figures who are pale, come to his room and then plot begins!

Being set in 1950s northern USA (think a Chicago or New York, more the former), the sets are done brilliantly and make the setting realistic and believable. The acting by Sewell, William Hurt, Richard O'Brien (awesome job), Bruce Spence and Jennifer Connelly (more on her in a bit) is simply awesome and the acting is another high point of the film.

The plot can be a bit rickety at times, but never strays from the path, keeping it focused at all times, even if it has a couple of holes; it's a great premise and I immediately got a, "Snatcher-esque," vibe from it.

Absolutely worth a watch if you like cerebral films and some Sci-Fi action.

9/10

Jennifer Connelly is breathtakingly beautiful; for almost the entire film, she wears nothing revealing, has little makeup on and is not made up to be a beauty in the slightest, but by God is she the best thing to look at for the entire film. I saw A Beautiful Mind in grade 9 (2004) and someone mentioned in class about her being good-looking. At the time, I thought that person was foolish, but clearly, as an adult with better tastes and recognitions, yeah, I was the fool lol.

And to boot, she's a phenomenal actress, as the 4 things I've seen her in, she just knocks it out of the park. Total package.

Got home early yesterday, so took in:

Dark City (1998):

Cult film to the max! I hadn't even heard of this film until I became a massive fan of the Crow, in 2007/8 or so, but for some strange reason, didn't pick it up until about a month ago: I am foolish for waiting so long.

John Murdoch (played very well by Rufus Sewell, who does a GREAT American accent) awakens in a bathtub and has no idea who he is, where he is and what has happened (recently). He finds clothes, gets dressed and sees that a hooker is dead in his room, along with a bunch of circles carved into her (that are bloody).

He narrowly escapes before 3 shadowy figures who are pale, come to his room and then plot begins!

Being set in 1950s northern USA (think a Chicago or New York, more the former), the sets are done brilliantly and make the setting realistic and believable. The acting by Sewell, William Hurt, Richard O'Brien (awesome job), Bruce Spence and Jennifer Connelly (more on her in a bit) is simply awesome and the acting is another high point of the film.

The plot can be a bit rickety at times, but never strays from the path, keeping it focused at all times, even if it has a couple of holes; it's a great premise and I immediately got a, "Snatcher-esque," vibe from it.

Absolutely worth a watch if you like cerebral films and some Sci-Fi action.

9/10

Jennifer Connelly is breathtakingly beautiful; for almost the entire film, she wears nothing revealing, has little makeup on and is not made up to be a beauty in the slightest, but by God is she the best thing to look at for the entire film. I saw A Beautiful Mind in grade 9 (2004) and someone mentioned in class about her being good-looking. At the time, I thought that person was foolish, but clearly, as an adult with better tastes and recognitions, yeah, I was the fool lol.

And to boot, she's a phenomenal actress, as the 4 things I've seen her in, she just knocks it out of the park. Total package.

The film is underrated. It was Matrix before the Matrix, sans the martial arts bit.

Back