What Movie Are You Watching?

Robin Hood (1991)

Story is the same as Shenmue. A mafia boss kills an old and honorable man in his home but underestimates the budding power of his son (Note: the old man decided to die like a warrior despite the high odds). Ryo is Kevin Costner, Ren is Morgan Freeman. The more the story progresses, the more the protagonist get friends closer. In order to pick the mirror/golden goods, the protagonist has to move into the wild/Guilin/Sherwood forest. There, he meets the girl of his dreams. 10/10

Think it's 3 hours, 27 minutes.

3 hours of DeNiro? No thanks. About as fake an Italian as you can get (though his portrayal of Vito Corleone in Godfather 2 is friggin' on point).

FULL Irish, in that film ;)

Same with Ray Liotta (or was he half Italian? Can't remember).

The Boondock Saints (1999)

Initially, finding out that this is a movie starring Catholic characters, with a shit-ton of Catholic imagery, I just HAD to pick it up. Funnily enough, had no idea until last night that the main character in Death Stranding is played by Norman Reedus lol. Anyways, the film is a great, slick-action film, with a lot of well-done gunplay and gun scenes. The acting is also quite good, though David Della Rocco is INCREDIBLY hammy and over the top for almost the entire film. It fits his character at least, but yeah lol. Still can't stand Willem Dafoe, but there's no denying he's a superb actor, with a ton of range.

Cinematography is very well-done; the film is shot spectacularly IMO and it really helps you gain a better understanding of the scene(s), with all of the angles and movement with the cuts. Plot probably hurts the film the most, though it's nothing egregious; just middling. It's too bad about Troy Duffy's attitude and ego, otherwise with a bit more polish, this could've been one of the most-watched and appreciated films of 1999.

Not nearly as violent and religiously over the top as it is portrayed btw.

9/10

The most recent was Frozen 2 with family, really just to take my niece since she liked the first one so much and would constantly sing some of the songs from it.

Can’t say for sure whether she liked it. Think she’s almost 4 and don’t get to see her very often so it’s hard to say. Personally I found it kind of odd; the first one was your pretty average modern Disney film, but then I guess a lot of sequels tend to get straight to DVD treatment so this was already unprecedented. It feels way more artsy, and maybe it was just me getting distracted and missing stuff but it seemed like a lot of the movie was spent watching characters walk or stand around rather than doing.

Before that I think the last two movies I saw were Joker and Taxi Driver. Not much of a super hero fan, only other ones I’ve seen were Deadpool and the Dark Knight, and those were good but I feel this was on its own level. Definitely similarities in Taxi Driver but I do feel the overall takeaway is supposed to be different; Joker is a sympathetic character who ultimately becomes an irredeemable villain, whereas this lonesome insomniac I feel is supposed to be a bit more hard to discern. You’re supposed to question whether he’s sane or has any kind of moral compass, or whether his narration paints an accurate picture of his intentions.

Actually, now that I think of it, I also watched the Ghibli? version of Grave of the Fireflies, though I can’t recall if that was before or after. It’s hard to judge a lot of these movies that say they’re based off true events but end up being far from them, but at least as a stand-alone story it was very depressing to watch. It really shed some light on at least the notion of casualties of war. Some discussion about it say the boy should have swallowed his pride or worked harder or whatever, but it shouldn’t have had to be like that in the first place.

Not sure what I’ll see next. Family wants to see Cats for Xmas. That Sonic film should be out soon. I’ve got a friend in China who has told me about some but it’s hard to figure what the actual titles are or even if I can find them due to the language barrier.

I watched yesterday Gozdilla King of the Monsters (US 2019) and Shin Gojira (JP 2016) and both are crap on their own merits.

The first one is a nosense action movie without any real plot and were the fights betwen monsters are in the same shitty level as transformers.

The second one has the stupidest solution to a giant monster problem dressed as a clever idea because fucking Hideaki Anno thinks he is very clever for selling us Evenglion shit for 24 years

Ralph breaks the Internet &a private war (2018) . I did start watching all the money in the world but the tv mini series pretty much told the story. The only movie im planning to see is star wars ep9 but im gonna see it with zero emotional connection ,i just want to finnish the story.

I watched yesterday Gozdilla King of the Monsters (US 2019) and Shin Gojira (JP 2016) and both are crap on their own merits.

The first one is a nosense action movie without any real plot and were the fights betwen monsters are in the same shitty level as transformers.

The second one has the stupidest solution to a giant monster problem dressed as a clever idea because fucking Hideaki Anno thinks he is very clever for selling us Evenglion shit for 24 years

Your Godzilla takes are giving me a headache lol. I love both those films.

Ford v Ferrari with Matt Damon and Christian Bale is outstanding. As great as Rush by Ron Howard.

Someone should tell the creator of Outrun to watch this movie lol.

At the advice of a wise woman, I've been tending to a handful of musicals. I recently watched White Christmas (1954), which is delightfully witty.
It features Danny Kaye acting out a scene as a character otherwise conceivable only by Yu Suzuki (perhaps a Hotel Niaowu inhabitant?):

EMEoIrNWsAAhMO1.png

Symladyvenposter.jpg

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance -- Picked up the Vengeance Trilogy box set that Arrow recently put out. Watched Sympathy for Lady Vengeance tonight. It remains as grimly beautiful as it was the first time I saw it. That Baroque soundtrack that compliments the entire film is downright gorgeous. But it's her fellow prison inmate stories that stand out to me the most about this one in comparison to Sympathy for Mr Vengeance and Oldboy. It sets it apart from the other two very nicely. I really do love this film. One of my favourites from Director Park Chan Wook. It's a good cap off to a fantastic (if not ultra grim) trilogy.

MV5BOGZmYzVkMmItM2NiOS00MDI3LWI4ZWQtMTg0YWZkODRkMmViXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY0NzcxNw@@._V1_.jpg

Batman Returns -- It's that time of year again...and this is one of those films I always find myself watching around this time of the year. Looking back at it year after year, it really is pretty mindblowing to think that Warner Bros actually let Tim Burton make a borderline fetish movie out of one of their biggest box office draws. It's something that would never happen today (especially after the negative reaction advertisers had towards Returns). Is it a great Batman film? Yes and no. Outside of fucking up the staple Batman rules, I can still see the story working in graphic novel form. I've loved it ever since I was a kid though and it has become a bit of a Christmas tradition for me to throw it on around this time of the year. It's a weird grotesque movie at times, but I fucking love it for those reasons...that and I'm an absolute sucker for Michelle Pfeifer's Catwoman in this movie (I think she may have been my first moment of realisation of the other sex in the most naive of ways as a kid.) Make of that what you will.

I didn't necessarily mind King of the Monsters too badly. Outside of the bullshit family drama, I thought it wasn't too bad. But my faith in the US ever making a truly good Godzilla film is pretty low. I just don't think it works. The core idea of Godzilla is so embedded with Japanese history. The original film being a metaphor for the nuclear attacks during WW2...it just always felt to me like one of those things the US could never really get right in making a US version of Godzilla. Of course, I could always be proven wrong, but I just don't see them ever getting it right.

For what King of the Monsters was? It was okay I guess, but my expectations were REAL low walking in so maybe that was what shaped my opinion.

As for Shin Godzilla? Complete and utter piece of garbage. Potential was there but it just gets so bogged down with Anno's bullshit. The only thing I liked from that movie was one of the earlier mutations of Godzilla...I will admit, I kind of like that goofy ass first land mutation...the bug eyed salamander type mutation.

But yeah, that film was pretty garbage all around. It had potential to be something decent but the longer it went on the more I lost hope in it and realised what an utter piece of garbage it was.

Unless a Gojira film has this:

godzilla-vs-megalon

I'm not interested!

BTW, Dan, absolutely brilliant 2 films you have there; Returns has always been my favourite of the films and SFLV is on my watch list, but I've read up extensively on it.

Of course, Oldboy will make you want to seek out the other two films, as it did for me (brilliant and heart-breaking film).

star wars the rise of skywalker.

i would give it 7/10, its an entertaining film but thats about it. i really enjoyed the non-dialogue parts of this film lol ...thats mainly because i think the main cast don't really have any charisma compared to the original cast and the humour is terrible.

story wise this new trilogy was a mess, they could of done so much better but disney had there agenda.. maybe george lucas should of completed the story years ago.

star wars the rise of skywalker.

i would give it 7/10, its an entertaining film but thats about it. i really enjoyed the non-dialogue parts of this film lol ...thats mainly because i think the main cast don't really have any charisma compared to the original cast and the humour is terrible.

story wise this new trilogy was a mess, they could of done so much better but disney had there agenda.. maybe george lucas should of completed the story years ago.

I just saw it tonight, too. I'll try to avoid spoilers but I'll say I had very low expectations and the movie turned out to be slightly better, haha. It also highlights how bad The Last Jedi was. The movie felt like episode 8.5 (trying to make up for the garbage that was episode 8) followed directly by episode 9, so there was really no room for anything to breathe and it's easy to look back and think "where the hell are we and what's going on?"

There was a lot of ridiculousness but I can at least appreciate that the intent is to bring the story somewhere, as opposed to episode 8 which was feeding into Rian Johnsons ego where he "subverted expectations" by making the story about nothing. It's not a great movie and there are a few cringey moments, but at the very least I was entertained. There are a few pot shots about episode 8, which I enjoyed!

Reactions: red
Back