What Movie Are You Watching?

Thought I’d watched most by Satoshi Kon but then I heard of something called Magnetic Rose recently - apparently a sort of short story that was a part of this larger collection called Memories. So I’m not sure it can be called a movie by itself but it’s the only part I’ve watched so far.

At first I was questioning how good it could really be at only 40 minutes or so, and I will say his other works had more depth, but I think they did well with a lot of the tension and imagery so they didn’t have to do a ton of talking to get a complex or compelling story across. The music was also particularly interesting.

Not sure I’ll have much to say about the rest since it seems he has nothing to do with them but I may watch them just to see if they’re better.

The Lighthouse - I'm gonna have to give this one another watch. My first time through I was cooking at the same time, so I couldn't give it my undivided attention. However, from what I saw, it was fascinating. The look, feel, sounds, everything just kept my interest whenever I was free to put my eyes to it. This definitely makes me want to give The Witch another try too. I really gotta stop cooking while watching movies.

Destroyer - The moment I saw Nicole Kidman's face in the trailer for this I was intrigued. I will say though that for me, I thought the trailer was better than the film. Not to say that the film was bad by any means, far from it. But I expected so much because of that trailer that I was slightly let down. I was honestly expecting way more ugliness and violence. Kidman's performance was on fire, though.

Mandy - This film is pure violent emotion. Things make less sense if you try to think logically, at least for me. I would've prefered if drugs weren't part of the story and everything that was happening only happened because that's how it was, but that's a minor nitpick. I immediately bought Beyond the Black Rainbow after finishing.

My wife is pretty much my best friend and anytime either of us would go to the cinema it would be together. Since we have had children, the only time we have been able to go is when the little one is in nursery and we both have the day off. Long story short, we have missed so many films that we have a shared list of all the films we need to see. Most recently was saw -

Gemini Man - Crap film. The only reason I put it on my list is because Looper was hyping it up before it got released and reviewed. Waste of my time.

Bad Boys for Life - Crap film. Can't really remember watching the previous films but thought I would give it a shot as Will Smith is in it (and I don't know why as I am not even a big fan). Corny and a waste of my time.

I have a bunch of others on the list but I really want to watch Queen & Slim. I have it downloaded in 4k and it's ready to watch but I don't want any distractions. That means the kids have to been in bed by 9pm (before I start getting tired) and not wake up for the next 2 hours. We've been trying to be in that situation for the past 3 months!

BB4L was an awesome film, significantly-better than the previous 2 films in the series.

I will admit that it is clichéd to death, but it is a great story, with very good cinematography and well-acted throughout.

"it" (2017) on netflix. i normally avoid horror films (unless they are zombie movies) because of the excessive violence and lack of story but "it" wasnt that scary, it was kinda funny.. almost reminded me of the goonies. lol

gonna watch it 2 tomorrow, so were see what thats like.

Not as good as the first, but still a well-made film.

Nothing scared me either (my wife on other hand lol), but yes, lots of laughs and fun; it was supposed to emulate an 80s-like feel and all that jazz.

Bill Skarsgaard is beyond awesome throughout the film.

Reactions: red
Watched Foodfight with Charlie Sheen today. I vaguely remember watching a JonTron video on it years ago but I don’t think anything could have prepared me for how awful it was. Holy shit lol. Not much to say on it other than that.

Also watched Ladyhawke after remembering it’s one of the films York mentions in Deadly Premonition. Not quite what I expected, but probably should have been knowing it’s an 80s movie. For what it’s worth, as a product of its time, it was way better than Foodfight being something from 2012.

A bit too much time spent on action and not the best choreography, cheesy music, feeling bad that the story wasn’t more about the mouse man, but overall it was pretty enjoyable.

just finished IT 2, good film. the remake and the sequel match up quite nicely. kinda reminded me of the old 90s tv show goosebumps i watched as a kid lol. it was entertaining.

i agree, the movie was well made, good acting.. also interesting seeing the flashbacks. the plot was ok but i didn't really understand the monster. sometimes he can't hurt you if your not scared, other times he can kill without a problem.

Watched The remake of Childs play and absolutely loved it. As a big fan of the series.
I thought the remake would have been absolute crap. boy, was I wrong.

I really loved the direction that they went with. Its a shame that the original creator didnt want to have anything to do with the movie, he could have added more to the remake. But IMO this has surpassed the original and am hoping that they make more with direction they took.

Watched The remake of Childs play and absolutely loved it. As a big fan of the series.
I thought the remake would have been absolute crap. boy, was I wrong.

I really loved the direction that they went with. Its a shame that the original creator didnt want to have anything to do with the movie, he could have added more to the remake. But IMO this has surpassed the original and am hoping that they make more with direction they took.

i just looked it up. cool that mark hamill does the voice of chucky. i'll have to check it out.

i just looked it up. cool that mark hamill does the voice of chucky. i'll have to check it out.
Mark was absolutely perfect and possibly better then Brad Dourif. Thats an unfair statement because the two play the character perfectly but Mark brings something special.
Plus I love Marks voice work.
You'll have to see it to know what I mean.
I cant figure out how to do a spoiler tag to explain this position, its better to not know anyway.

I will say there is one weak part in the movie, But it works in the movie.
If anybody is on the fence about the movie, take the leap. Am gald I did 😉

Mark was absolutely perfect and possibly better then Brad Dourif. Thats an unfair statement because the two play the character perfectly but Mark brings something special.
Plus I love Marks voice work.
You'll have to see it to know what I mean.
I cant figure out how to do a spoiler tag to explain this position, its better to not know anyway.

I will say there is one weak part in the movie, But it works in the movie.
If anybody is on the fence about the movie, take the leap. Am gald I did 😉

i just watched it on netflix. mark hamill was great. i loved the star wars reference when he named the doll lol

i would give it 6.5/10 the part towards the end reminded me of gremlins 2.

the last few films i saw via netflix were:

mars attacks (1996) - starts off great, very creepy, strange and very trippy. the middle part of the Movie got a bit weak and then the ending is mediocre. 6.5/10

blackKKKlansman (2018). knowing a little of the true story i was looking forward to seeing this film. i thought it was going to be a historical drama .. its an interesting movie but it got a bit too much one the nose towards the end with references to Trump etc. the upside down usa flag at the end of the film pretty much says it all. 7/10

im also halfway through the last Samurai(2003). Tom Cruise is such a good actor. I haven't seen this film in 13+ years, it's pretty good. - its like one of those old style 90s war films, epic. The only thing I would make a slight complaint about is the music. some emotional scenes are totally drowned out by the soundtrack, would've been much better if it was more subtle.

..other than some newer movies like 1917, i'm Desperate to see Outland (1981) with Sean Connery ( hes a cop on a space station) apparently its very much like alien/blade runner?

ive seen a few movies in the last week including jojo rabbit, rambo last blood, don't be a menace but i had an urge to re-watch day of the dead movies.. luckily they are on youtube, so i watched night of the living dead (1991), dawn of the dead (1978) and day of the dead (1985)... imo they are all 9/10 films. the casting in all 3 movies is amazing, they are like normal people but really good actors ( now the film Industry only hire models 🤮) also these old zombie films are big, and slow paced which breath.. probably why they hold up so well.

on the flip side, i think why most of the dawn of the dead movies are flops.. they completely turn their back on what makes George A. Romero's first few movies special.

Huh?

Dawn of the Dead (2004) was an INCREDIBLE film and has easily been the best of the zombie genre, in modern times.

Reactions: red
i agree, dawn of the dead (2004) is good, probably because it was directed by Zack Snyder but it lacks some of the charm of the 1978 original. i cant say rest are amazing tho. - the 2004 film is on youtube, so i might watch that again.

return of the living dead (1985) was also an awesome.

i still need to see the original night of the living dead (1968) and the crazies (1973).

Back