What Movie Are You Watching?

Club Dread -- An often overlooked horror/comedy favorite of mine. Proabably my personal favourite from the Broken Lizard crew.

Strip Nude For Your Killer -- It's pretty much what it says in the title. Beautiful women stripping nude for their killer. Pretty much your classic Giallo paint by numbers. Very sleazy but also delivers in suspense.

Body Double -- Pulp Fiction in the best of all ways. One of my favorite DePalma films.

Hardcore -- George C. Scott delivers one hell of a performance. That scene of him reacting to the film within the movie is downright powerfully acted. It's seedy and perverse but in the best way possible. Unerving and unflinching and still holds up in this day and age. The type of cinema we just don't see anymore from Hollywood.

Strip Nude For Your Killer, Body Double and Hardcore are great films! The former is very sleazy haha!

I just finished rewatching the fan edit of the 1984 David Lynch science-fiction film Dune titled "Alternative Edition Redux" which in my opinion, is vastly improved over the original theatrical cut. Maybe it was because I watched the theatrical release when I was ten, but the plot was very convoluted. This time, however, the fan edit made the narrative more cohesive and had some great scenes I never saw in the theatrical release. It's a movie I highly recommend.

i found out about the fan edit of dune after looking up details about the upcoming remake. the fan edit looks pretty good, it's on my to-watch list.

the last film i watched was army of the dead. i agree with most of the reviews, it's a good film but not ground breaking, it's a solid, fun, 7/10 film.
it definitely feels like a computer game movie. the special effects are a bit hit and miss, it's way too long but the characters and story are cool. worth watching if you have netflix.

Attachments

• B29FA32E-8754-4208-B456-E0E7E5B8F14F.jpeg
    B29FA32E-8754-4208-B456-E0E7E5B8F14F.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 1
I found out about the fan edit of dune after looking up details about the upcoming remake. the fan edit looks pretty good, it's on my to-watch list.

the last film I watched was the army of the dead. I agree with most of the reviews, it's a good film but not groundbreaking, it's a solid, fun, 7/10 film.
it feels like a computer game movie. the special effects are a bit hit and miss, it's way too long but the characters and story are cool. worth watching if you have Netflix.
Thanks for the recommendation! I will give it a watch. On a side note, I just finished watching Pacific Rim and I enjoyed it. If you are an anime fan you'll recognize all the Tropes it borrows from mecha anime like Patlabor mixed with the kaiju genre. It's over-the-top- fun for any anime, sci-fi, or kaiju fan.

Last edited:
My wife's choice for this weekend, so we watched:

Legally Blonde (2001):

Ugh a chick flick... well, at least it's a comedy.

Anyways, the film the put Reese Witherspoon on the map, she plays a, "ditsy," (in quotes because she absolutely isn't), blonde, sorority house president, who is convinced her boyfriend will propose to her. He instead breaks up with her and she follows him to Harvard, because she thinks he's the love of her life. Despite having a flimsy major in University, she scores high-enough on her LSAT and has a high GPA, so she indeed gets into Harvard Law.

The film is a, "coming of age," tale, albeit incredibly-shallow and scratches the surface and has a bunch of fish out-of-water scenarios, that lead to the usual hijinks. Luke Wilson doesn't get enough screen time, IMO as nearly every scene he's in is awesome, whether it is an important scene or not. Jennifer Coolidge also (somewhat) got on the map for this film and American Pie), but never before have I seen such terrible and wooden acting; I completely understand the character she's trying to play, but she literally is shown on-screen, not moving a muscle or talking, for almost half of her screen time; very poor direction.

The courtroom scenes are also HIGHLY Hollywood-ised and made everything look a bit dubious... but perhaps I'm spoiled by My Cousin Vinny. Witherspoon does show her skills in this film quite well and there's a reason why she became a big player, after this film..

Fun popcorn flick, but nothing special at all.

6.5/10

Bernie -- One of my favorite Richard Linklater films and dare I say, a VERY overlooked one. Jack Black gives a hell of a performance as the sweetest mortician you could ever meet who is just pushed to the brink by one nasty mean spirited old lady. But still, you do have to question, was it really a moment of temporary insanity or was this guy really malicious at heart and did he really have sinister intentions all along? It's a fascinating character study and a fascinating slice of real life.

Antichrist -- I haven't seen it since it first came out...it holds up. It's still just as shocking as the first time I saw it. I do love that opening sequence. The opening sequence is one of the finest things I've ever seen committed to cinema. No joke. I'm not much of a Lars Von Trier guy. He is very hit or miss with me, but this one hit the horror fan in me. It's oddly hypnotic, gruesome at times (almost unnecessarily in one particular scene), but oddly intriguing.

I have so much to catch up on, but I do want to talk about Antichrist. I'm a Von Trier fan and I find many of his films - 'Breaking The Waves', 'Dogville', 'Dancer In The Dark', 'Nymphomaniac' etc fantastic. Heck, I even thought 'The Idiots' was brilliant (I was put off for many years due to its nature of potentially mocking people with mental illness), but Antichrist I couldn't deal with. It just made me feel dirty and sick. It's the only film in recent years I couldn't bring myself to finish and it's such a shame as I like the actors, the director and whatnot. But yeah, that film left me uneasy. It's weird, because I have a friend who is incredibly squeamish, yet loves this film...what a weird world we live in.

I have so much to catch up on, but I do want to talk about Antichrist. I'm a Von Trier fan and I find many of his films - 'Breaking The Waves', 'Dogville', 'Dancer In The Dark', 'Nymphomaniac' etc fantastic. Heck, I even thought 'The Idiots' was brilliant (I was put off for many years due to its nature of potentially mocking people with mental illness), but Antichrist I couldn't deal with. It just made me feel dirty and sick. It's the only film in recent years I couldn't bring myself to finish and it's such a shame as I like the actors, the director and whatnot. But yeah, that film left me uneasy. It's weird, because I have a friend who is incredibly squeamish, yet loves this film...what a weird world we live in.
I can generally deal with some pretty rough shit, but that one scene...that one scene was too much for even me. Aside from that, I quite like the atmosphere of the film. It's very heavy and oppressive but fascinating none the less. I genuinely quite like the film but can more than understand why people would be put off by it...it's not an easy watch.

Just read the synopsis; in text, it doesn't seem too bad, but I can imagine the actual images lol. Ugh.

Anyways, finally had some downtime so we watched a film on Saturday evening.

Get Smart (2008):

Steve Carell works at a government organization, akin to the CIA or FBI, as an analyst and he wishes to become a field agent, since his analyst job is boring and unfulfilling. Despite smashing his tests out of the park, his boss holds him back at his current position… until their headquarters is infiltrated and attacked, leaving all field agents compromised, all over the world. As a result, Carell's character indeed gets moved to be a field agent and is teamed with Anne Hathaway's character, who was a field agent, but recently received surgery to change her face, thus she is unknown.

The film has some good points and is funny at times, but I'm not (and never have been) a Carell fan, as his deadpan humour is not really my cup of tea (learning from Monty Python and John Cleese, deadpan works if you have the face/body language to go along with it and IMO, Carell doesn't have either). Hathaway can do a shitty film or a great film; her range is superb, but I feel she was a bit wasted in this film. Always great to see the Rock and Khali was enjoyable for his limited time on-screen. Terence Stamp also does a good job and the James Caan cameo-esque appearance was PHENOMENAL; so funny (while Bill Murray's cameo felt forced and unfunny).

Not the greatest film on the whole though, especially since I was able to call out every Chekhov's Gun in the early stages and figured out who the Dragon was at the midpoint of the film; writing was definitely lacking.

6.5/10

Just read the synopsis; in text, it doesn't seem too bad, but I can imagine the actual images lol. Ugh.

It's more so the fact that he shows it in tight close up...you see the whole snipping....I mean I'm a gore hound,, I like gory horror films and generally am pretty good with gore, but even this put me into chick mode covering my eyes and made me wonder "was it really necessary to show it in such a close up?"

That aside, I do like the film...it's a really overpowering horror film that sticks with you. But that opening sequence really is quite beautiful shot to say the least.

School of Rock -- was in the mood for something light...saw it while scrolling through Netflix....figured I haven't seen it in a while. Generally amusing. I always liked Jack Black and I like Richard Linklater films in general.

Last edited:
romper stomper (1992) - dvd

strange film about skin heads in australia. Russel Crow plays the leader of a violent gang and things go bad for all of them.

i guess russel crow has always been a good actor lol because he plays a pretty convincing nut job in this film.

the plot is a bit, mad max level extreme but it's interesting. i don't think i want to rewatch it any time soon lol

i would give it 6/10

Last two I watched were in a discord server with some friends. Had already seen Troll 2 before but had forgotten most of it. Still hilariously bad. Then watched The Thing and it seemed like a good enough film but was a bit distracted riffing off it with dumb Amogus jokes. Might have to watch again by myself to take it more seriously.

as they were on tv, i'm working my way through all the star trek movies. i'm currently on first contact ( which is probably one of the star trek films i've seen the most). 2 more after that and then ill probably watch the 3 reboot trek films.

the 1980s star trek films are still pretty good. my only complaint is that they gave Captain Kirk a pretty crappy ending in star trek generations.

after all that i need to watch happy death day 1&2 before #2 gets removed from netflix.

I tried to watch the new Dynasty Warriors movie,
not because i was hyped or because i had high hopes
but i like the games, even played the very weak part 9 for hundreds of hours.
Sometimes i like to play games with simple gameplay that you can keep playing and playing and playing.
So i was like maybe the movie will just be 'stupid fun'.

I stopped watching after 35 minutes.
This whole thing is designed to make you believe it is some epic expensive blockbuster movie
but it is absolutely not.
The 'heavy' armor pieces with ornaments look like some cheap plastic costumes for kids,
the CGI looks like it was borrowed from B movies from 2003,
(you can clearly tell in every single second what is real or not,
the animations of the soldiers are stuttering, the lighting is all wrong)
the practical effects look like they were made by a theater group in school ...
(close up shots of warriors on horses - the horse is clearly just a motionless prop)
Or like one different example, there are these three sworn brothers and one of them
is supposed to be pretty big. Not fat fat, more like a Obelix strong type.
In the movie its a guy who has a totally normal body, normal legs, normal arms, normal neck,
but they stuffed a pillow or whatever under his shirt to make it look he has a big belly ...

Then the english dub ... my god. Not only are the voices completely unfitting for the characters
but its also not in sync. And i'm not talking about single words not in sync with their lips,
i'm talking about the end of sentences or phrases isnt even in sync with their mouths.
So its basically random english voices talking and stopping
but the actors mouths are still moving even tho theres no sound.

Thats not fun or cool or charming, its just cheap.

Given that this past weekend was July the 4th in the States, it's usually the only part of the year where we watch...

Independence Day (1996):

It's July 2nd and all of the world that matters (ie: the US) is getting ready to celebrate the big day that is July 4th... but the S.E.T.I. gets some sort of communication and lo and behold, there is a gargantuan spaceship, hovering near the moon. Nothing happens at first, but eventually, smaller, city-sized ships, begin to break off and descend into Earth...

If you know the rest, you know the rest, but if you don't, I'm not spoiling anything. It's my 6th favourite film ever and I watched it to death growing up; such a completely fun, engaging and entertaining film from beginning to end, jingoism and endless American patriotism be damned lol. Will Smith, Bill Pullman and most-importantly, Jeff Goldblum are awesome in this film and though I liked Goldblum in JP quite a bit, seeing him in this made him instantly one of my favourite actors. The supporting cast does a very good job as well, regardless of importance to plot, even if there is a bit of overacting at times... but that's Emmerich.

Still, it was THE summer blockbuster of the 90s and a reminder that just because it is a summer blockbuster and not nuanced like Sophie's Choice or Schindler's List (I don't know why those popped into my head lol, but they are dialogue-heavy and devoid of action/stunts), it can still be a superb film.

9/10

Disclaimer: I haven't seen a single Marvel movie since Iron Man 1 in 2008. I would love to see an 'M Mature' rated Black Widow video game done with Splinter Cell style stealth and combat tactics, minus Marvel having anything to do with it(I know, that's asking for way too much).
I went to see Black Widow tonight and I enjoyed it very much for what it was as Natasha Romanoff is one of the only comic characters that has a realistic and interesting backstory. Overall, it was about what I expected which was both a good thing and also a missed potential, but with a PG-13 rating and the word Marvel on the poster I knew what to expect, but I must admit within the limitations of quality that the studio and rating allows, it was the best comic book movie I've seen. Great for a corn syrup comic book movie, somewhat disappointing for a serious movie that has so much more potential if the rating were changed to 'R' and Marvel was removed entirely from the creation it would have been amazing as a straight up film. The raw talent and tension between the two best actors in the flick(Johansson and Ray Winstone)near the end was intensely good only to be followed by anti-climactic feelings due to it being family friendly, but they delivered considering that's what it was going for. I could have done without the Red Guardian wearing the traditional male superhero costume and the scenes at the end where they're flying through the air, but again, I knew what to expect and I wasn't disappointed, just wished it could have been so much more without restricting the delivery of such a dark and important story. The only reason I saw this is because it looked the complete polar opposite of the Avengers and other MCU stuff and the top notch cast all around. Scarlett Johansson is one of the best actors in the last 20 years and any film she puts out is usually worth seeing. I remember when she showed up in the Avengers franchise I literally felt like it was waaaaaaaaay beneath her acting abilities, even to the point of embarassment and asking why the hell she would accept such a role (I get it, money is nice and there's nothing wrong with that). I tend to ask myself that about a lot of the Avengers actors, but not as much as with her. If I had to choose I'd say Marvel isn't as ridiculous as DC overall seeing that Marvel feels stuck in a watered down version of the 1990s and DC is still in the 1930s with its presentation outside of Bale's Batman. The only comic book movies I ever really liked were the Christian Bale Batman movies and to a far lesser degree Iron Man 1 was ok, but nothing special. Black Widow has bumped the Bale Batman trilogy to the side. If you enjoy Marvel or DC I'm not sure if you'll enjoy Black Widow cause its no where near as over the top, lacking reality or tailored for kids as all of the other comic book characters are, but if you like decent PG-13 action films with a solid story and some emotion and you're ok with it being a bit of wasted potential, you'll enjoy Black Widow. Seeing it in the cinema was worthwile, and cheaper than Disney Plus.

Comic Book Movie Rating: 9/10
Overall Movie Rating: 7.5/10

Disclaimer: I haven't seen a single Marvel movie since Iron Man 1 in 2008. I would love to see an 'M Mature' rated Black Widow video game done with Splinter Cell style stealth and combat tactics, minus Marvel having anything to do with it(I know, that's asking for way too much).
I went to see Black Widow tonight and I enjoyed it very much for what it was as Natasha Romanoff is one of the only comic characters that have a realistic and interesting backstory. Overall, it was about what I expected which was both a good thing and also a missed potential, but with a PG-13 rating and the word Marvel on the poster I knew what to expect, but I must admit within the limitations of quality that the studio and rating allow, it was the best comic book movie I've seen. Great for a corn syrup comic book movie, somewhat disappointing for a serious movie that has so much more potential if the rating were changed to 'R' and Marvel was removed entirely from the creation it would have been amazing as a straight-up film. The raw talent and tension between the two best actors in the flick(Johansson and Ray Winstone)near the end were intensely good only to be followed by anti-climactic feelings due to it being family-friendly, but they delivered considering that's what it was going for. I could have done without the Red Guardian wearing the traditional male superhero costume and the scenes at the end where they're flying through the air, but again, I knew what to expect and I wasn't disappointed, just wished it could have been so much more without restricting the delivery of such a dark and important story. The only reason I saw this is because it looked the complete polar opposite of the Avengers and other MCU stuff and the top-notch cast all around. Scarlett Johansson is one of the best actors in the last 20 years and any film she puts out is usually worth seeing. I remember when she showed up in the Avengers franchise I felt like it was waaaaaaaaay beneath her acting abilities, even to the point of embarrassment and asking why the hell she would accept such a role (I get it, money is nice and there's nothing wrong with that). I tend to ask myself that about a lot of the Avengers actors, but not as much as with her. If I had to choose I'd say Marvel isn't as ridiculous as DC overall seeing that Marvel feels stuck in a watered-down version of the 1990s and DC is still in the 1930s with its presentation outside of Bale's Batman. The only comic book movies I ever really liked were the Christian Bale Batman movies and to a far lesser degree Iron Man 1 was ok, but nothing special. Black Widow has bumped the Bale Batman trilogy to the side. If you enjoy Marvel or DC I'm not sure if you'll enjoy Black Widow cause its nowhere near as over the top, lacking reality or tailored for kids as all of the other comic book characters are, but if you like decent PG-13 action films with a solid story and some emotion and you're ok with it being a bit of wasted potential, you'll enjoy Black Widow. Seeing it in the cinema was worthwhile, and cheaper than Disney Plus.

Comic Book Movie Rating: 9/10
Overall Movie Rating: 7.5/10
As someone more of a Detective Comics fan and not a Marvel Comics fan, I have never gotten into the Marvel Cinematic Universe (to be fair, the Detective Comics live-action movies are a hit or miss with me), with The Punisher and Shang-Chi probably being the only characters I like. However, Black Widow did moderately catch my attention primarily due to the Femme Fatal genre. So I will probably see it at some point.

That being said, I enjoy Michael Keaton and Benjamin Affleck as the live-action Batman while Kevin Conroy is the definitive voice of The Dark Knight for me. Also, this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I never really connected with Christopher Nolan's take on the Batman mythos nor Heath Ledger's Joker. It was not bad, but I did not see what was so special about his performance much like Sonic Mania. That being said, I did enjoy the utterly nihilistic Joaquin Phoenix's portrayal of the Joker though.

My favorite live-action film is still Batman Returns directed by Tim Burton. My favorite animated film is still the underrated (in my opinion), animated Batman feature Mask of the Phantasm released in 1993. Hell, I remember even Siskel and Ebert expressing remorse for overlooking it lol.

Finally, I am also a big fan of the Arkham video game series and The Dark Knight Returns comics by Frank Miller. As far as movies premiering soon, I am only really interested in Shang-Chi and Snake Eyes (even though I was never a GI JOE fan).

Last edited:
At last, I've finally watched Fast Five through Furious 7. As I expected, I very much loved Fast Five and thoroughly enjoyed F6 and F7. Gonna try and watch F8 tomorrow.

As someone more of a Detective Comics fan and not a Marvel Comics fan, I have never gotten into the Marvel Cinematic Universe (to be fair, the Detective Comics live-action movies are a hit or miss with me, with The Punisher and Shang-Chi probably being the only characters I like. However, Black Widow did moderately catch my attention primarily due to the Femme Fatal genre. So I will probably see it at some point.

That being said, I enjoy Michael Keaton and Benjamin Affleck as the live-action Batman while Kevin Conroy is the definitive voice of The Dark Knight for me. Also, this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I never really connected with Christopher Nolan's take on the Batman mythos nor Heath Ledger's Joker. It was not bad, but I did not see what was so special about his performance much like Sonic Mania. That being said, I did enjoy the utterly nihilistic Joaquin Phoenix's portrayal of the Joker though.

My favorite live-action film is still Batman Returns directed by Tim Burton. My favorite animated film is still the underrated (in my opinion), animated Batman feature Mask of the Phantasm released in 1993. Hell, I remember even Siskel and Ebert expressing remorse for overlooking it lol.

Finally, I am also a big fan of the Arkham video game series and The Dark Knight Returns comics by Frank Miller. As far as movies premiering soon, I am only really interested in Shang-Chi and Snake Eyes (even though I was never a GI JOE fan).

I don't really care about the Shang-Chi in the comics, but I'm VERY much looking forward to the movie primarily because we'll finally see The Mandarin, which I pray they do him justice. It always bothered me how they dropped the ball on that with Iron Man 3 but they have an opportunity to right this wrong.

Also love Batman Returns. For the longest time that was my favorite Batman film before Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises came out.

Back