What New Jobs would be good for Ryo?

Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
UE5 Game Dev
We can all agree that the Shenmue 1 Forklift Job was epic, and carrying Boxes (left left right right etc) in Shenmue 2 sucked balls. (would have been better if it was like Mafia2)
But if Ryo had to fund his travel/accomodation what other jobs would suit the Shenmue Game style? (assuming they are Legal and not jokes)

I imagine being a postman and making deliverys for various buisnesses around Dobuita would have been a good idea.
Unloading shipping containers like in GTA:SA / V was fun.
Chopping wood in Skyrim was a bit mundane but could be made more interesting

Being a postman/paperboy would've worked incredibly well in Shenmue - it has the added benefit of helping you to get to know your way around. Bonus points for implementing the bike too.

Seeing as he breaks Jie regularly maybe he could find work as a street fighter open to all challengers.

They could employ some "Magic Room" type technique to randomise the appearance, fighting ability and resilience of the NPCs that volunteer to go against him.

Am I the only one who loves bothCQTE (even mid-fight) and also the crate carry job? Especially in Kowloon; voice is much more grating but so much more fun, sporadic and challenging than Delin--sooner and throughout the shift.

I always wanted to be a guard at the harbour, but on first play was slightly disappointed in being forced to forklift.

I always wanted to be a guard at the harbour, but on first play was slightly disappointed in being forced to forklift.

Especially since when you talk to the guard at the entrance about a job, he mentions there are jobs available in security too.

Would've been good for to be able to utilise more of Shenmue's great fighting engine with occasional people who force entry, even though realistically it'd be "stand in this spot until someone walks near, shout at them when they get too close, watch them walk away again" for a few hours.

Especially since when you talk to the guard at the entrance about a job, he mentions there are jobs available in security too.

Would've been good for to be able to utilise more of Shenmue's great fighting engine with occasional people who force entry, even though realistically it'd be "stand in this spot until someone walks near, shout at them when they get too close, watch them walk away again" for a few hours.
Ryo could have followed a patrol route and little QTE's happen on the way maybe?

A night patrolman like in Red Dead Redemption..

Streetfighting works for Shenmue but too close to gambing to be considered a legit profession

Am I the only one who loves bothCQTE (even mid-fight) and also the crate carry job?
Probably lmfao. I love the QTEs in Shenmue 2 but the crate carrying is just tedious and boring, while being needlessly complicated at the same time. More importantly, every other job in the Shenmue series makes sense, but nothing about crate carrying makes sense. You literally move boxes from one pallet to another, like 20 feet away from each other. The pallets in order to ship still have to be lifted via forklift or whatever, so it's a complete waste of time to move them by hand like that. And each crate being carried said 20 feet costs the company $20 in labor. Nothing about it has any logistical logic...

I will admit, despite liking the goofy challenge of crate carrying--especially in Kowloon with the crazier Congo guy--I did always wish the forklift area of the Fortune Pier wasn't blocked off.

Any Ideas?

Imagine Shenmue was getting remade .. for example

Ryo wouldn't look out of place as a bouncer for a bar. There are lots of them in the first two games and his encounters with the pundits could lead to fights. I'd love to be able to practice shoulder buster or arm break fire on a bunch of rude drunks.

Gigilo. ?. But seriously, you're all missing the obvious. If Iwao was never killed Ryo would have taught Jujitsu in his family dojo. So martial arts instructor would be best.

Gigilo. ?. But seriously, you're all missing the obvious. If Iwao was never killed Ryo would have taught Jujitsu in his family dojo. So martial arts instructor would be best.

Judging by how well he teaches Fuku when I play, martial arts instructor would be a terrible job...

If Iwao was never killed Ryo would have taught Jujitsu in his family dojo. So martial arts instructor would be best.
Ryo would have stayed in school ( I started designing yoko 'suka high' long time ago) Iwao would have kept teaching .. and might have been bad at it since LanDi kicked his ass and Fukusan Sucks, Ryo has 'attendance trophys' he's too ashamed to display and is too young to take over the Dojo

Back