What parts/beats need to stay in the Shenmue Animation?

or see what Ryo was doing moments before running home to the Dojo, I always wondered about that.

😅

"Gotta hit the can, my man!"

Nah you're wrong. One scene showing Ryo bonding with the other workers, it's fun. If it's afraid of being Shenmue, then they shouldn't bother.

Christ, he's not, "wrong." There is no objectivity to what his POV or yours is.

One thing I want to see in this Anime is how Ryo got his Jacket. I know it sounds trivial, but I would like to see an origin story for Ryo's Jacket, rather it be a last gift from Iwao or a graduation gift from Nozomi.

One thing I want to see in this Anime is how Ryo got his Jacket. I know it sounds trivial, but I would like to see an origin story for Ryo's Jacket, rather it be a last gift from Iwao or a graduation gift from Nozomi.
Spoiler

I remember in Shenmue III Ryo saying to Shenhua that he bought the jacket with his first salary, something like that, i want to see how Ryo got his jacket in the anime, if this happen maybe the scene will be a flashback, will be interesting to see this.

Now that my euphoria from the announcement has settled, I'll start off by apologizing for going off-topic as I normally don't engage in speculation. Anyways, while I am ecstatic about the anime, I really wished it was being done as an OVA/ONA instead of a TV series.

While there are exceptions to the rule (see anything animated by UFOTable), most TV anime tends to be on the cheaper end of the spectrum when it comes to animation quality and time. Movies are the inverse of this with expensive production values but usually even more limited by time.

Original Video Animation/Original Net Animation tends to fall in between these two extremes. It's not as expensive as a movie but is usually higher in quality than a TV series. Also, animators and screenwriters tend to have more time to flesh out the story and improve animation. All one needs to do is look at the Legend of the Galactic Heroes OVA to see what I mean. This is a luxury TV anime does not have.

The reason why this matters to me is that I believe Shenmue's story is masterful for its slow pace and fluid martial arts choreography. By rushing the narrative it feels less fulfilling (unless they add in unused story elements) because the depth isn't there. Rushing through on a limited budget means they'll also have to skimp on animation quality.

Knowing that Shenmue won't sustain a movie-level production, I think the OVA format would have been perfect. Not saying this will be a bad production as I will definitely watch and support it, but I just want the best for this series.

Last edited:
I’ll put this in a spoiler box just in case. If I remember correctly Shenmue 3 answered how Ryo got his jacket through the nightly talks with Shenhua in Bailu Village. I believe he said it was one of, if not the first, things he ever bought entirely with his own money and how he intended to wear it until it falls apart. I do think it would be nice to see a short scene that depicts him purchasing the jacket. My apologies if I am misremembering.

Didn't the leaker say it will cover Shenmue II but not all of it? If that's true then there's no way we'd get as far as the cave. My gut reaction is it'll end in Kowloon, with Lan Di escaping in the helicopter or after saying goodbye to Ren, Wong and Joy, with Ryo on the boat to Guilin -- but I need to think about it some more.

Didn't the leaker say it will cover Shenmue II but not all of it? If that's true then there's no way we'd get as far as the cave. My gut reaction is it'll end in Kowloon, with Lan Di escaping in the helicopter or after saying goodbye to Ren, Wong and Joy, with Ryo on the boat to Guilin -- but I need to think about it some more.
He did, but after the announcement he also said that he gets his information from a variety of sources and that as some of those sources are more reliable than other - not everything he said about the project is necessarily accurate.

Whilst I do think that Sh1 lacks the depth for a 13 episode season and that bundling it together with part of Sh2 would make the most sense, I wouldn’t be too surprised if they stretched it out for the sake of if keeping it to 1 season per game. Ryo defeating Chai and leaving Japan would make for a nice way to close out the season if they could add enough compelling plot line to fill the 12 episodes before it.

He did, but after the announcement he also said that he gets his information from a variety of sources and that as some of those sources are more reliable than other - not everything he said about the project is necessarily accurate.

Whilst I do think that Sh1 lacks the depth for a 13 episode season and that bundling it together with part of Sh2 would make the most sense, I wouldn’t be too surprised if they stretched it out for the sake of if keeping it to 1 season per game. Ryo defeating Chai and leaving Japan would make for a nice way to close out the season if they could add enough compelling plot line to fill the 12 episodes before it.
The accuracy thing makes sense.

Personally I'll be surprised if they spend 13 episodes on S1 alone. Unless it's going to faithfully imitate the slow pace of the games, which would mean getting granular with Ryo's investigation around Dobuita and the harbour. I struggle to see that happening but who knows. I just think it'll move at a faster pace, as is typically the way with these things (from what I've heard anyway, from those who've watched the Persona anime, etc.).

I know some fans are against it, but I think picking up the pace is probably a smart way to go. Yes, a key part of Shenmue is experiencing every day life, but I think that can be conveyed in subtle ways while focussing on the key themes that Suzuki mentioned in his little interview.

The accuracy thing makes sense.

Personally I'll be surprised if they spend 13 episodes on S1 alone. Unless it's going to faithfully imitate the slow pace of the games, which would mean getting granular with Ryo's investigation around Dobuita and the harbour. I struggle to see that happening but who knows. I just think it'll move at a faster pace, as is typically the way with these things (from what I've heard anyway, from those who've watched the Persona anime, etc.).

I know some fans are against it, but I think picking up the pace is probably a smart way to go. Yes, a key part of Shenmue is experiencing every day life, but I think that can be conveyed in subtle ways while focussing on the key themes that Suzuki mentioned in his little interview.
If Dragon ball has taught me anything it’s that anime shows are more than happy to drag things out.

Like you though, I really hope they keep things moving at a solid pace and avoid filler and fan service. Dicking around at the arcade and buying capsule toys works in the game because it’s a choice given to the player, but these kind of things are a little at odds with Ryo’s motivations and personality (He should be driving forwards as fast as possible to avenge his father and any time where he has to wait around or doesn’t have a clear goal would likely be spent training rather than playing space harrier or feeding a kitten). Not to mention they’d be pretty dull to watch.

That said, I don’t want to see them rushing through things like the four wude and the street fights in Kowloon as these things could be real spectacles if done well (especially the fight with Chunyan).

Ep. 1: Iwao murdered, intro to family and friends (Ine, Fuku, Nozomi), capsule toys, kitten, investigation reaches at least "ask Chinese people" stage

Ep 2: Arcade, school thugs fight, double blow, looking for sailors, sailors bar fight

Ep 3: Head to the harbour, Goro, meet the Chens

Ep 4: Sword hand guard, more Nozomi, find Phoenix mirror

Ep 5: Meet Chens, Chai, find out about Mad Angels, get a forklift job

Ep 6: Find out about Hong Kong, Nozomi kidnapped, 70 man battle, off to HK

Just a quick, off the top of my head idea of how S1 could be done in ~6 episodes. I can see various elements such as "Chinese people", Charlie, and the airplane ticket being scrapped for more interesting stuff.

Ep. 1: Iwao murdered, intro to family and friends (Ine, Fuku, Nozomi), capsule toys, kitten, investigation reaches at least "ask Chinese people" stage

Ep 2: Arcade, school thugs fight, double blow, looking for sailors, sailors bar fight

Ep 3: Head to the harbour, Goro, meet the Chens

Ep 4: Sword hand guard, more Nozomi, find Phoenix mirror

Ep 5: Meet Chens, Chai, find out about Mad Angels, get a forklift job

Ep 6: Find out about Hong Kong, Nozomi kidnapped, 70 man battle, off to HK

Just a quick, off the top of my head idea of how S1 could be done in ~6 episodes. I can see various elements such as "Chinese people", Charlie, and the airplane ticket being scrapped for more interesting stuff.
Yeah, that’s kind of how I see things going although I’d introduce Chen a lot sooner and scrap the sailors altogether.

1. Iwao dies. Ryo asks about Chinese people. The letter arrives.

2. Ryo gets the letter translated. Ryo meets Chen and learns about the mirrors. Ryo finds the mirror.

3. Ryo takes the mirror to the Chens. Chai tries to take the mirror but fails. Chen tells Ryo that Lan Di has already left for HK and Ryo is determined to get a ticket.

4. Ryo goes to travel agents and buys a ticket. On collecting the ticket he’s ambushed by Chai and Chai eats the ticket but mentions that Lan Di is still in Yokosuka.

5. Ryo gets a job at the harbor to learn more about the CYM. Shenanigans with the CYM. Ryo gets home to learn that Nozomi is missing.

6. Straight into the 70 man battle. Ryo finds out that Lan Di has left and Chen buys him a ticket. Chai ambushes them and Guizang gets injured. Ryo leaves.

Yeah, that’s kind of how I see things going although I’d introduce Chen a lot sooner and scrap the sailors altogether.

2. Ryo gets the letter translated. Ryo meets Chen and learns about the mirrors. Ryo finds the mirror.

3. Ryo takes the mirror to the Chens. Chai tries to take the mirror but fails. Chen tells Ryo that Lan Di has already left for HK and Ryo is determined to get a ticket.

4. Ryo goes to travel agents and buys a ticket. On collecting the ticket he’s ambushed by Chai and Chai eats the ticket but mentions that Lan Di is still in Yokosuka.

5. Ryo gets a job at the harbor to learn more about the CYM. Shenanigans with the CYM. Ryo gets home to learn that Nozomi is missing.

6. Straight into the 70 man battle. Ryo finds out that Lan Di has left and Chen buys him a ticket. Chai ambushes them and Guizang gets injured. Ryo leaves.
Yeah, no matter how they choose to slice it, half the runtime seems enough to convey the main thrust of S1: the mystery, the characters, the cliffhanger.

I could even see them trimming it to 5 episodes if they include an episode entirely for Chapter 2. Then you'd have 5 eps for S1 and 7 for S2, which seems about right.

I guess if they could condense a 130 hour Persona 4 into a 26 30 minute episode anime and do a pretty damn good job of it. Then Shenmue is easily doable

For the first Episode. Maybe a slightly longer intro?

I like the idea of establishing a day before just to show us normalcy with Iwao, Fuku-san and Ine-san. Show us a brief glimpse of what life was like before the tragedy. Show Ryo preparing for his tournament to be held the following day and getting mentorly and fatherly advice from Iwao.

Also, maybe briefly introduce us to everyone else in the town of importance (Nozomi, Tom etc). Or introduce us to Nozomi at the very least.

Then maybe show Iwao writing his final letter giving a hint of dread. But the contents of the letter are yet to be known by Ryo (that comes in Episode 2)...but it sets up a sense of dread that something is coming for the unsuspecting viewer. Or at least make it known that something seems off with Iwao.

Ad Break.

The next day. The day of Ryo's tournament and Iwao's death. Show Ryo fighting in the karate tournament briefly. Show Ryo getting his scar (hence the bandage)...Have Ryo maybe win the tournament (or lose?) Hell, maybe have him lose and make it play into his character and his desire to succeed in revenge.

Then end the episode with Ryo returning home to the classic intro we all know and love ending with the death of Iwao. The black car. The Black suits, and Lan Di. Lan Di kills Iwao. Iwao leaves Ryo with his final words of advice. Bang, we're set up for Episode 2.

Good way to establish everything we need to know in the first ep.

Last edited:
I could even see S1 being a two-part intro to the series depending on what they cut (and how many characters are coming back) with S2 taking up the bulk of the run. The beats they need to hit:

S1: Prologue, Iwao's murder, introducing the main cast, finding the phoenix mirror, dream of Shenhua, Ryo set back from travelling to HK, Master Chen's harbor drama, saving Nozomi and travelling to HK, defeating Chai. I can almost guarantee there will be a joke about finding sailors thrown in somewhere.

S2: Bag stolen, 4 wude, training under Xiuying and the Wulinshu, Chawan signs and Zhang, finding Ren and the Heavens, get to Kowloon and captured by Dou Niu, wiretapper, learning about Yuan, finding Zhang again, Ghost Hall bldg, impress the scout, Yellowhead bldg, learn about Ziming, Zhu's speech, off to Guilin.

Probably a controversial opinion but I think the anime should start before the game. Show Ryo as a normal teenage high schooler, in the classroom, hanging out with friends, in the arcade, show him to be extroverted etc. Then contrast that with how he acts after his fathers murder, and how he becomes increasingly stoic, before he finally decides he is going to do something.

Also definitely show the few days after the murder. Show people gathering, the ceremony , the kamidana-fūji, show still somber shots of the batsudan with Ryo, Fuku-San and Ine-San reflecting on Iwao.
Show just how loved he was and why it's so important and worth it for Ryo to decide to avenge him.

70 man free battle
Chasing Jimmy (or somehow bring back the guy from the demo?)
The searching for sailors line
The search for he four wudu
Ryo beating Dou Niu with the reverse elbow

70 man free battle
Chasing Jimmy (or somehow bring back the guy from the demo?)
The searching for sailors line
The search for he four wudu
Ryo beating Dou Niu with the reverse elbow

1. Yukawa.
2. It's Wude, not wudu.
3. COUNTER-ELBOW ASSAULT, NOT REVERSE ELBOW!!!!! :mad:

It's reading things like this that make me seriously worried about the series. All of this condenced into 6 episodes would feel incredibly rushed.

It's reading things like this that make me seriously worried about the series. All of this condenced into 6 episodes would feel incredibly rushed.
I’d beg to differ, as apparently would Yu and the team developing the anime.

Shenmue the movie came in at 90 minutes and although it lacked a few things here and there to tie all of the scenes together, it contained all of the first game’s key beats. I’m fairly certain that with 180 minutes they could manage it.

Back