What should sega add in the new re-release of shenmue 1 and 2?

Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
shenmue 3 and shenmue 1 2 hd ps4
New content maybe? like this

they should add this village or area in shenmue 2, i heard that was space issue, now we have bluray so that is not issue anymore
they shold develop chapter 2 i mean trade to hongkong on the boat and fight chai, thats not cost much develop in dreamcast graphics.

shenmue 1 issue
days is much shorter compare to shenmue 2 sega should change it, making money is almost impossible, its hard to collect all capsule toys because of the money, in shenmue 2 is much easier to make money, and they should have time skip option too,

I believe those features can sale the game much more, i mean i have seen and reading from other games sites and forums, there people who allready own the game dont want to buy this game because its overall same game except japanese audio (which is awsome).
that still not too late, sega can make it and we can buy it in DCL format

any suggestions? whats new you guys want too see in the game? can sega make allready great game to the better? My all time favorite sure but still not gratest, lets hope shenmue 3 or 4 will be.

Only thing I can think of is a wait feature in Shenmue 1 for all the babies who cry about the game being too slow.

That village you posted is gonna be in Shenmue 3.

I wish the slot machine Pay Out button actually worked. It still bugs me that the first game has no way of making money until you advance to the end of the game where you've given up a large chunk of free time opportunities. I assume they decided you shouldn't earn money in the Slot House in order to avoid backlash about gambling in a video game, but it infuriates me that the animation of the pay out is right there yet accomplishes nothing. Many of the guides I've read on the game are even convinced you can earn money from slot machines because why else would they be in the game?

A Time Skip feature from the sequel is also warranted. In fact I think Shenmue 1 needs it more than 2 ever did simply because 2 has systems in place where you can spend time doing productive things like earning more money to spend. All Shenmue 1 has is practicing moves and spending your money which is a finite resource unless you're making use of the Warehouse 8 time skip exploit which most Shenmue veterans resign themselves to do anyway. At least to get closer to Christmas for a few optional scenes. Plus a time skip feature would instantly make Shenmue 1 a more viable game for speedrunning. Since the only way of advancing time in the first game is to repeatedly board the bus until it's bed time. And each bus ride only advances you forward about 20 in-game minutes. If programming time skip into Shenmue 1 is too difficult a task, then simply program it so Ryo can sleep for the day at any time of day, not just at 8-11PM.

But all in all, having these games in a playable state on modern hardware is more than I would have dared to ask for before and even after Shenmue 3's kickstarter arrived. Beyond some of the more pressing bugs, I don't think this re-release needs any additional work.

The notion of a Shenmue speedrun fills me with revulsion. In my personal opinion, nobody should see Shenmue that way (if you're talking about videos). Sorta the antithesis of the Shenmue experience, no offense intended. To each his own, though.

Last edited:
The notion of a Shenmue speedrun fills me with revulsion. In my personal opinion, nobody should see Shenmue that way (if you're talking about videos). Sorta the antithesis of the Shenmue experience, no offense intended. To each his own, though.

Speedrunners of most games have usually have already played it "as intended" tons of times. For a lot of them, it's a way to continue to enjoy the game after they've exhausted pretty much all of the enjoyment to be had by playing normally.

I'm a big fan of the idea of them finishing Chapter 2, either as additional content for Shenmue I & 2, or as a demo for III.

Luckily progress is being made in regards to major issues like cutscene glitches and game breaking bugs. The PC version of the game is really stable now with the patches. I only had one instance where Shenmue II closed out randomly.

It's a bit shit that console players have to wait for so long to have a decent experience; that I will absolutely concede, but at least this stuff is being sorted.

Shenmue I & II looks really great with ambient occlusion (using Reshade), but it's a shame console players can't add it. I would officially include it, as an option, for all releases.

Sonic Mania did better than Sega expected, and I think they pumped some of the profits into making 'Mania Plus' which added a bunch of extras. So there's actually a chance they could do the same here. After the bug fixes of course.

I'd love the passport and online features but judging from the recent interview I can't think we will get them. Also It would divert resources from fixing the games given the size of the team so I'm fine with it. I want my PS4 patch please!

Maybe just online leaderboards? Chapter 2 would be immense but I can't see that happening.

Sonic Mania did better than Sega expected, and I think they pumped some of the profits into making 'Mania Plus' which added a bunch of extras. So there's actually a chance they could do the same here. After the bug fixes of course.

The whole retro revival thing is really popular at the moment, also given the demand for a decent sonic game I wasn't that surprised even if Sega are/were.

Every year I stream a playthrough of the Shenmue series the way it was intended, taking my time through the game and showing almost everything there is to see in the game.

I also speedrun the games, because it's a fun thing to do. Yes, it's the antithesis of the Shenmue experience. And yet, it's still fun. Speedrunning is very rarely about playing the games as they were intended, and most people watching speedruns understand that, so it's not as though they're getting an unfair representation of the game.

I'm a big fan of the idea of them finishing Chapter 2, either as additional content for Shenmue I & 2, or as a demo for III.

The idea of Chapter 2 being used for people to test Shenmue 3's controls, gameplay mechanics etc.. is genius. I'd love that and it wouldn't take away any surprises from Shenmue 3.

Nothing would make me happier than online leaderboards. Other than fixing the bugs in the game that's all I really ask for.

Playing it again the having to wait around in S1 feels very forced (like there is no reason at all why I have to come back to your tattoo shop again tomorrow!)

Historically it was guiding players that messing around, talking to people, training etc. were valid parts of the game but S2 goes very far the other way - allowing you to not only skip time to meet people but also location. So some form of balance there!

Also stop making the camera go first person in S2!

The option to use the Dreamcast button icons in QTEs.

The PlayStation button icons are somewhat bland. It’s not as easy to differentiate [circle] from [square] when focussing on the color instead of the shape. I guess it could help if they would at least use the color as background, too. Currently only the outline and the shape (which is quite thin) has the color, while the background is black. Although that’s not how the buttons on the PS4 controller look like, of course.

Last edited:
The original screenshots were posted way back when in Shenmue.com and confirmed to be cut areas from Shenmue II.

Having an "offline version" of the passport would be nice.
(All the info on the disc and browsable without loading anything from the net.)

Scores-boards could be nice, but, I guess they need to update net protocols,
as well as hosting servers, so that data load is manageable on their end.
(Update frame only on specific timeslots, from the games,
and maybe scoreboard, only accessible through regular browser on the Sega website ?)

If new content can be added (as expansion pack or something)
I would vote for alternate perspective episodes.

Like the boat chapter from the girl's mother point of view, or from Chai's, maybe ?
Or an episode of Shenhua's daily life before SH2 ?
Or, again, episodes from Ren's perspective or Joy's ?
(Then again, something like that is maybe better as content for SH3.)

Back