What to expect of Shenmue IV's Atmosphere!

Sergeynest

Keep your Mind as clear as a Polished Mirror.
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Plague of Tale Requiem
I've recently been thinking on how Shenmue IV's Atmosphere is going to be and also my personal expectation.
So I decided to create this thread for everyone to share their personal toughts on this subject.

Shenmue Concept Art.jpg

Considering the concept art chapter that most likely will represent Shenmue 4; I would say that it is probable that Ryo at some point will enter a Shaolin Monastery to further improve is Martial Arts Skills.
For me capturing the essence, the atmosphere and the romantic vision of this place could make for an amazing experience for further development of Ryo's character not just in is Martial Arts skills but also in his internal struggle for his quest for Revenge and I believe this would also provide for a great experience not just for the fans but also for new players as well; because many people would love to have this kind of experience in real life.

I recently saw this video and I really think it captures the essence and Atmosphere I'm trying to describe:

What is your opinion !? I would really like to know what are you're expectations in regard to this subject.

I cannot see Shenmue 4's first scene opening with a big, confrontation at the Emperor's Cliff Temple with Ryo and the Chi You Men. There needs to be some initial set-up.

I think the first area will have a very relaxed atmosphere and be slow-paced, similar to Bailu, where Ryo, Ren and Shenhua are staying at an inn in a small village and exploring the local area for clues. This will give the player time to adjust to the new environment and also provide Ryo with a means to increase his training slightly before his next encounter with Lan Di and Niao Sun at the temple. The player would not need to worry so much about hurrying to the temple as soon as possible before it is opened, because this is primarily a video game in which a certain degree of time or logic would not need apply. The Chi You Men would instead be stuck in a sort of stasis, with Niao Sun only figuring out how to open the vault the moment the player arrived at that area, which is typical of video games. So I expect the first area to be very relaxed and focused on Ryo training. It would also be a great opportunity for Ryo, Ren and Shenhua to bond with each other with some more evening conversations (Ren should provide for some good comedy in these scenes).

Once he has mastered some more Bajiquan moves under the instruction of some more grandmasters and we have gotten our classic Shenmue gameplay fix out of the way, I fully expect the next area (the temple) to be more action-packed and fast-paced. The character perspective system would come into play as Ryo, Ren and Shenhua launch an infiltration mission to get inside the temple which is overrun with Chi You Men. We would battle our way inside, and confront the Four Leaders (maybe even Ten Tei). Not only would this confrontation have a more action-packed feel, I expect the atmosphere to also be quite mystical here as well judging from what Shenhua does in the Project Berkley trailer when she looks like she's being detained in a temple or sorts. A big, magical revelation would happen which would then point the way to the next destination.

Awesome thread, thanks Sergeynest. 😊 I really think Shenmue III is the trainning phase and that it is a peaceful time in Ryo's Journey, and i think Shenmue IV will have more action, fights and big revelations. In my opinion the beginning of Shenmue IV will be this chapter card.

I agree with Revan, i think the first part of the game will have a slow pace. maybe in the first part Ryo will train with a Shaolin monk, will be really nice to see Ryo, Ren and Shenhua bond with each other in evening conversations, later they will find a way to enter the temple of the Chi You men, this part i think it will have action, big fights and revelations, we will probably see all the leaders of the Chi You Men in Shenmue IV. I think a lot of scenes of the Project Berkley will be in Shenmue IV.

Shenmue IV will be only this chapter card or we will see more chapters? maybe the game will have 2 chapters and then Shenmue V will have 3 chapters.

Edit: I found this theory in another thread, maybe Shenmue IV will be like this, it is a interesting theory.
Shenmue IV Theory.png

Last edited:
I cannot see Shenmue 4's first scene opening with a big, confrontation at the Emperor's Cliff Temple with Ryo and the Chi You Men. There needs to be some initial set-up.

I think the first area will have a very relaxed atmosphere and be slow-paced, similar to Bailu, where Ryo, Ren and Shenhua are staying at an inn in a small village and exploring the local area for clues. This will give the player time to adjust to the new environment and also provide Ryo with a means to increase his training slightly before his next encounter with Lan Di and Niao Sun at the temple. The player would not need to worry so much about hurrying to the temple as soon as possible before it is opened, because this is primarily a video game in which a certain degree of time or logic would not need apply. The Chi You Men would instead be stuck in a sort of stasis, with Niao Sun only figuring out how to open the vault the moment the player arrived at that area, which is typical of video games. So I expect the first area to be very relaxed and focused on Ryo training. It would also be a great opportunity for Ryo, Ren and Shenhua to bond with each other with some more evening conversations (Ren should provide for some good comedy in these scenes).

Once he has mastered some more Bajiquan moves under the instruction of some more grandmasters and we have gotten our classic Shenmue gameplay fix out of the way, I fully expect the next area (the temple) to be more action-packed and fast-paced. The character perspective system would come into play as Ryo, Ren and Shenhua launch an infiltration mission to get inside the temple which is overrun with Chi You Men. We would battle our way inside, and confront the Four Leaders (maybe even Ten Tei). Not only would this confrontation have a more action-packed feel, I expect the atmosphere to also be quite mystical here as well judging from what Shenhua does in the Project Berkley trailer when she looks like she's being detained in a temple or sorts. A big, magical revelation would happen which would then point the way to the next destination.
(First of all, Very good thread!)

Very well written! That would be awesome!

I expect the game to have much more action than both II and III had. But also moments where everything is very calm, and very Shenmue 1 - ish.

Would you like to explain how you think the beginning scene of the game will look like? Will everything start right there at the village, or before that?

At the end of Shenmue III when they were walking on the chinese wall, I tried to understand why they would walk on the wall and not travel some other way.. Where were they going? I mean they can't walk thousands of miles by foot. It doesn't make sense!

Before that Wall scene, they did travel by boat, right? But how far? I don't know..

Maybe the game will start at a smaller village, as you said, where the player can ´warm up´ a little, learn the controls and so forth. Later on the trio will travel by train to their next destination? If so.. There could be a few smaller destinations on the way. I would love that. For example they could stop at a few train stations to switch trains. I wouldn't be surprised to see a dining place near by with capsul toys outside.

There was going to be a train chapter in the earlier version of the script, and we've already had enough buss rides in Shemmue, as well as boat trips. It's time for that train chapter! :D
It doesn't have to be playable it could just be a cutscene. But to me, it should be playable. Remember that project berekely video where you see Ryo running, jumping and hanging on to that train? (if I remember it correctly).
I see some potential for some action scenes on that train.

Just imagine Ryo standing on a train in a fighting stance with his jacket moving with the wind, ready for a fight, while you see the train moving really fast with a mighty / beautiful landscape in the background.

At least I would love that. But that's just me.

I expect the game to have much more action than both II and III had. But also moments where everything is very calm, and very Shenmue 1 - ish.

Would you like to explain how you think the beginning scene of the game will look like? Will everything start right there at the village, or before that?

At the end of Shenmue III when they were walking on the chinese wall, I tried to understand why they would walk on the wall and not travel some other way.. Where were they going? I mean they can't walk thousands of miles by foot. It doesn't make sense!

Before that Wall scene, they did travel by boat, right? But how far? I don't know..

Maybe the game will start at a smaller village, as you said, where the player can ´warm up´ a little, learn the controls and so forth. Later on the trio will travel by train to their next destination? If so.. There could be a few smaller destinations on the way. I would love that. For example they could stop at a few train stations to switch trains. I wouldn't be surprised to see a dining place near by with capsul toys outside.

There was going to be a train chapter in the earlier version of the script, and we've already had enough buss rides in Shemmue, as well as boat trips. It's time for that train chapter! :D
It doesn't have to be playable it could just be a cutscene. But to me, it should be playable. Remember that project berekely video where you see Ryo running, jumping and hanging on to that train? (if I remember it correctly).

Just imagine Ryo standing on a train in a fighting stance with his jacket moving with the wind, ready for a fight, while you see the train moving really fast with a mighty / beautiful landscape in the background.

I agree with you. It's time for that train chapter, it could fit really nice in Shenmue IV and I love it when games have train travel. Imagine Ryo, Ren and Shenhua travelling like this and having nice conversations, would be nice if we can explore the train, and of course the fight scene that you imagined, i would love that.

Considering the concept art chapter that most likely will represent Shenmue 4; I would say that it is probable that Ryo at some point will enter a Shaolin Monastery to further improve is Martial Arts Skills.
For me capturing the essence, the atmosphere and the romantic vision of this place could make for an amazing experience for further development of Ryo's character not just in is Martial Arts skills but also in his internal struggle for his quest for Revenge and I believe this would also provide for a great experience not just for the fans but also for new players as well; because many people would love to have this kind of experience in real life.

Months before Sh III was released I had a dream of how it looked like, and I that was a beautiful dream. But it didn't look like Shenmue III did.. well actually like some parts of Niaowu.
It was way before I knew anything about a "Niaowu". That Shaolin video has bits and pieces of that ´atmosphere´ I felt in the dream.
What I can remember is a large area with grey brick streets or more of a brick market / square. I didn't know about a ´cliff temple´ either. I've searched pictures of Datong / Shanxi and found some of them that resembled the dream. But only the older parts of that city.

Really hope we get a Train sequence either in a cutscene or even in a playable level between locations in Shenmue 4.

Really hope we get a Train sequence either in a cutscene or even in a playable level between locations in Shenmue 4.
Do you remember when Yu said something that he wanted a game with smoother gameplay in confined areas?
I think a good way to test his ideas would be inside a train. (I think I already mentioned this in another thread.. :unsure: Hmm..)
It's a very confined area with narrow walls and small spaces. Very suitable.

The good thing with Shenmue is that you can both walk around in third person and first person.
I don't exactly understand what Yu meant but I think he is talking about feeling more free and not stuck in smaller spaces and not feeling ´stuck´ with tank-like controls.. Or literally get stuck. I think he also means more complex movements in a confined area. Perhaps he's talking about the fighting part as well. Who know's, maybe Chai will be kicked out of a train window this time. I wouldn't be surprised if he turns up again.

But whatever he mean a train would be perfect for that.

For me, theme and atmosphere blur.

Shenmue had an atmosphere of 'home invasion' like obviously the intro of Lan literally invading his home, but Ryo finds out how dangerous the gang are at his home town, behind closed doors.

Shenmue 2, I think has a heaven hell/theme, like comparing how beautiful Wan Chai it to how cramped and claustrophobic Kowloon feel, and the Taoism/duality theme.

Shenmue 3 had a summer atmosphere, to me like how beautiful Bailu Village country side was, and Niowu's red colours made it feel hot, and intense. It feels like you're being watched, because you know so little about the red snakes (and later you learn about Nioa Sun whose disguised and following you)

I think Shenmue 4 may focus on a 'retracing the steps of their parents' theme, not just Ryo and Iwao, but Lan Di and Sunming, Shenhua could learn a bit about her parents. They could add a bit of depth to Niao Sun if she has an inferiority complex and kind of sibling rivalry with Lan Di, under the wing of Tentei. That might sound more like the story, than the atmosphere, but I guess they could a constant feeling of exploring, that their fathers were here.

For me, theme and atmosphere blur.

Shenmue had an atmosphere of 'home invasion' like obviously the intro of Lan literally invading his home, but Ryo finds out how dangerous the gang are at his home town, behind closed doors.

Shenmue 2, I think has a heaven hell/theme, like comparing how beautiful Wan Chai it to how cramped and claustrophobic Kowloon feel, and the Taoism/duality theme.

Shenmue 3 had a summer atmosphere, to me like how beautiful Bailu Village country side was, and Niowu's red colours made it feel hot, and intense. It feels like you're being watched, because you know so little about the red snakes (and later you learn about Nioa Sun whose disguised and following you)

I think Shenmue 4 may focus on a 'retracing the steps of their parents' theme, not just Ryo and Iwao, but Lan Di and Sunming, Shenhua could learn a bit about her parents. They could add a bit of depth to Niao Sun if she has an inferiority complex and kind of sibling rivalry with Lan Di, under the wing of Tentei. That might sound more like the story, than the atmosphere, but I guess they could a constant feeling of exploring, that their fathers were here.
I would love for Shenmue IV to take place in the Autumn and Winter seasons.
Autumn because of the colors the trees and leaves blowing in the wind.
1599779262616.png
As for the Winter season it is because i loved when it snowed in Shenmue 1 and that crunchy sound of the snow when Ryo stepped on it. I would really like to see how it would look like in the unreal engine.
1599779632249.png

Last edited:

You may be correct here. In one of Yu-san’s Shenmue Master video interviews during Shenmue 3’s development, he mentioned that he’d like to use that train scenario for Shenmue 4. He’s also been speaking a lot lately about creating dense, confined spaces and experimenting with how to navigate a narrow pathway more seamlessly. Not to mention, Shenmue 2 originally was supposed to open with the deleted boat chapter (hence why Chai’s model can be found in that game’s data). So the game was originally supposed to open showing Ryo travelling to his next destination through gameplay.

Yu-san can reintegrate all these ideas into Shenmue 4, opening the game with the train journey and allowing Ryo to walk about in there and ask passengers what they know of the village the train is heading to.

I would for Shenmue IV to take place the Autumn and Winter seasons.
Autumn because of the colors the trees and leaves blowing in the wind.
View attachment 8961
As for the Winter season it is because i loved when it snowed in Shenmue 1 and that crunchy sound of the snow when Ryo stepped on it. I would really like to see how it would look like in the unreal engine.
View attachment 8962
Shenmue 2 reminded me of Autumn, because of all the fallen leaves in Lotus Park Park and Man Mo Temple, and the washed out colours of Aberdeen. I would want some snowy, mountain locations in 4, definitely, that house would look like a cool place to learn about Sunming if stayed there on the way to the cliff temple.

mountain-city-in-china-1-728.jpg

mountain-city-in-china-2-728.jpg

mountain-city-in-china-7-728.jpg

mountain-city-in-china-17-728.jpg

Please Yu Suzuki give us SNOW in Shenmue IV 🌨❄☃

It could make for some dramatic scenes.

Shenmue IV training in the snow.

Shenmue IV boss fight at the train station.

From the movie The Grandmaster.
"Love this movie."

You may be correct here. In one of Yu-san’s Shenmue Master video interviews during Shenmue 3’s development, he mentioned that he’d like to use that train scenario for Shenmue 4. He’s also been speaking a lot lately about creating dense, confined spaces and experimenting with how to navigate a narrow pathway more seamlessly. Not to mention, Shenmue 2 originally was supposed to open with the deleted boat chapter (hence why Chai’s model can be found in that game’s data). So the game was originally supposed to open showing Ryo travelling to his next destination through gameplay.

Yu-san can reintegrate all these ideas into Shenmue 4, opening the game with the train journey and allowing Ryo to walk about in there and ask passengers what they know of the village the train is heading to.
Wow, I didn't know that he actually said that for Shenmue IV, that sounds very promising!

Please Yu Suzuki give us SNOW in Shenmue IV 🌨❄☃

It could make for some dramatic scenes.

Shenmue IV training in the snow.

Shenmue IV boss fight at the train station.

From the movie The Grandmaster.
"Love this movie."
I was actually kind of thinking about the seasonal aspects of the story, and whether or not what we have so far will end up aligning with what was envisioned for the remaining chapters. Shenmue III realistically ends for most people around the beginning of summer, or end of spring, but it feels like it should have been closer to the end of summer, if we had followed the original outline.

I sort of wonder if for IV, Suzuki might just jump the time ahead a few months, so that we're starting in the fall around the point when we take control of Ryo.

Back