What to expect of Shenmue IV's Atmosphere!

Regarding the potential ´train chapter´in Shenmue IV it's a perfect way to further explore Ren's / Shenhua's personalities. This chapter could focus more on quality rather than quantity. On detail rather than size. For you to feel like you're on a journey I would prefer to have at least a few stops (smaller locations on the way) and a couple of nights on the train and / or elsewhere just to get the feel of traveling somewhere to build up the excitement for the final destination. The passengers may tell interesting details about, the Cliff Temple?, or the city?

Some ideas + use of the ´perspective system´:

1. The game starts with Shenhua, Ryo and Ren waking up at some kind of ´guest house´ somewhere. A place where the player can ´warm up´, get more familiar with the controls. .... There's a train station near by. They wait for the train, they get on the train and the journey begins. We see a cutscene of the train leaving the station while Shenmue music playes at the background, and we see a beautiful vast landscape surrounding the train.. that's followed up by a conversation between the three. After this Ryo can freely explore the train...

2. Next Station / Switching trains. More time to spend. There's a dining place. Free exploration in / around the station / dining place as well as conversations with Ren / Shenhua. And yeah, the capsul toys are there of course.

3. They get on the next train where they also will sleep for one night (or more ?).
Here there could be signs of them being stalked by someone with bad intentions. There could be a small confrontation on the train or preparing the player for something that will occur later.

4. Next train station / changeing trains / a pause. Here some trouble makers show up. Something happens where
Ryo, Shenhua and Ren are separated from each other. Each one could end up on different trains, or different parts of the same train.. ... They will get back together again. But to get there the player need to make use the ´perspective system´ to get through the problems each character will be facing. Ren and Ryo will definitely fight and Shenhua may show more of her ´powers´ to overcome her part of this confrontation..

5. They will get back on track, then on their way to their final destination....

That's a simplified version. There could be more locations in-between. But I do think ´quality over quantity´ here..
I don't know how many locations IV will have. But a train chapter gives Yu lots of room for experimentation.

So talking about ´atmosphere´ I see the potential of different atmospheres for each location. Lots of things to see along the way. But whatever happens there must be fighting scenes + fighting gameplay inside, outside and on top of the train :D

Is it too ambitious to dream of a day when we see Ryo defeat Lan Di in rural mountain China and then retrace his steps (with various threats and events) through Kowloon, Wan Chai, Aberdeen and with the series ending with Ryo back home in Japan. All of these areas remodelled with next gen graphics is a beautiful dream.

Is it too ambitious to dream of a day when we see Ryo defeat Lan Di in rural mountain China and then retrace his steps (with various threats and events) through Kowloon, Wan Chai, Aberdeen and with the series ending with Ryo back home in Japan. All of these areas remodelled with next gen graphics is a beautiful dream.
That would be a good move. And welcome to the forums @サム!

I associate Shenmue with snow because when I first got it was in the middle of the winter and we had lots of snow where I used to live. I remember that fresh cool air from the day when I brought home my package that contained Shenmue 1 along with that high-tech thing called the Dreamcast. :sneaky: That's one of the reasons I ´secretly´ wish there will be Snow in the 4th or 5th game, or in a prequel.

I'm absolutely loving :love: this place in China; its the kind of place and atmopshere I want for Shenmue 4.
Please Yu san make it happen 🥺.

Just found out about this amazing Chinese Online Rpg called Justice Online and it gave me some serious Shenmue vibes watching this video and how an actual version of Shenmue Online could look like.

Back