What Tracks from the Shenmue 3 OST Are New?

There were definitely some new tracks but if I had to guess, maybe like 10%? Which is at odds with some of the claims that they only used maybe half of the music they had created up front in the first two games, unless they are sitting on a bunch more for S4 and S5.

I had no problem with the re-use of music but it didn't seem very coherent (for example when the cut scenes would fade to black inexplicably the music would always restart too, most noticeable to me in the bell tower scene)

Still gotta snag the CD set before it's too late!

I wonder if a process of elimination can help.
I tried to thin out at least what seemed exclusive to S3 by tiers. Sometimes it's hard to remember if it's actually new, or just if you forget it (esp. all those shops in S2).
I figure it’d easier if some other ears can listen through some of these and make sure some weren’t in S1/2, and then we can weed out the Shenmue Online from the properly new. Maybe some of us could first weed out the unlikely's and maybes?

I left out those which I'm assured are reused (incl. SO and S2 unused), but one's always open to correction (lest we offend Wude).

Likely New
1, 5, 8, 10, 11, 14, 15, 18, 20, 28, 32, 35, 36, 41, 43, 44, 47, 61, 74, 75, 76, 77, 79, 95, 96, 100, 110, 114, 117, 122, 125, 133, 136, 144, 145, 146, 148, 149, 151, 152, 157, 159, 182, 184, 186-194

Maybe New
4, 7, 21, 26, 33, 37, 38, 42, 83, 84, 88, 102, 113, 124, 128, 132, 139, 156, 164, 165

Unlikely New
40, 49, 50, 51, 58, 63, 67, 68, 69, 70, 73, 97, 104, 106, 111, 170, 171, 185

Last edited:
I made a spreadsheet and added what I remembered from the top of my head. There are still a lot of music that sound familiar but I couldn't remember where it was from exactly. Also I feel like some of the songs might not be exact copies but rather rearranged versions.
I guess anyone is free to add, edit or copy if they want to
Code:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ck0Mhin_0chIhuUZaoCRa1YDzsgFBWNiitYpEuXwEU0/edit?usp=sharing

And view only version:
Code:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TGg72YFhWuoty7DMFCbyzvMH9mYAMrZNbDWUYClMZfc/edit?usp=sharing

This doesn't help you completely, but it should give an idea. Last year I did this analysis on the files in the game. Out of 287 music files in the game data (a handful being duplicated, unused, or omitted from the soundtrack for other reasons) there were 130 files not tied to a previous game or soundtrack:

I don't know if/when this wiki page will ever get updated with the new Shenmue 3 soundtrack titles, I had actually filled it out to make it easier to find the high quality versions of songs from the previous two games. So it's not completely useful in the context of the recent soundtrack release, but does indicate about 45% of the music is 'new'.

This doesn't help you completely, but it should give an idea. Last year I did this analysis on the files in the game. Out of 287 music files in the game data (a handful being duplicated, unused, or omitted from the soundtrack for other reasons) there were 130 files not tied to a previous game or soundtrack:

I don't know if/when this wiki page will ever get updated with the new Shenmue 3 soundtrack titles, I had actually filled it out to make it easier to find the high quality versions of songs from the previous two games. So it's not completely useful in the context of the recent soundtrack release, but does indicate about 45% of the music is 'new'.
For what it's worth, I used this as a basis for my own spreadsheet and have finally finished filling it out. When I realized that the "Definitive Soundtrack" was FAR from definitive, I started diving into the game files to try and figure out what was missing. Luckily, before I spent too much time on it, I found your wiki page along with this topic where forum member @MetalSonic had also compiled his own custom tracklisting to include some of the missing music and clean up the track order (which, in turn, was based on the work @Peter did creating the soundtracks available here on Shenmue Dojo - so truly a community effort, haha).

Feel free to use this if you'd like to update your wiki page, as I think this would be a really valuable resource for fans who want a truly "definitive" soundtrack.

Google Sheets version, in case the PDF is harder to copy from:

Attachments

• Shenmue III Music.pdf
    159.9 KB · Views: 8
Back