What's the relevance of the plane flying overhead in Shenmue 2?

I'm really tired at time of writing this so not checked. But from where Ryo is, which compass direction are the planes/jets flying? Is there something significant about the direction? Does it lead somewhere, like for example, on a real life map?

So my crazy logic is the planes/jets are directing you to somewhere or something? Not necessarily in the game but rather a direction to an eventual destination? Which way is Guilin from Wan Chai/HK? Silly idea... I'm really tired and sleepy at time of writing so maybe seeing things I shouldn't....

To trigger the plane it shouldn't matter what direction you're facing, you just have to be somewhere near the bottom of that staircase. And you have to make sure you're not running, be sure to walk or just stand still. In that clip the person playing is actually letting off of the Run button (Ryo doing the "light jog" as the screen fades is exactly what it looks like when you let go of the Run button to trigger the plane). You can trigger this scene any time that you enter Wise Men's Qr., so if you wanna watch the plane more than once just leave Wise Men's Qr., go back to that spot, and then (Rex Kwon Do voice) do it again.

Never remembered it being so low. I thought I thought it was a call back to Shenmue 1 where there is Tom's (supposedly) plane flying overhead. If that actually happened and I am not just getting confused.
Dude, you're not the only one. Before the HD collection I hadn't played Shenmue II since 2002 on Dreamcast...and I swear I saw a scene where Ryo stops and quietly looks up at an airplane high up in the sky (much higher than the one in Wise Men's Qr.) similar to when Tom left in the first game. I thought it happened just outside of Man Mo Temple but I guess it was a false memory.

Happy New Year, Shenmaniacs.

Dude, you're not the only one. Before the HD collection I hadn't played Shenmue II since 2002 on Dreamcast...and I swear I saw a scene where Ryo stops and quietly looks up at an airplane high up in the sky (much higher than the one in Wise Men's Qr.) similar to when Tom left in the first game. I thought it happened just outside of Man Mo Temple but I guess it was a false memory.

Happy New Year, Shenmaniacs.

I think your memory is conflating the plane in the opening cutscene of Shenmue 2 with this moment

the airport was really close to the city back then, and there were a lot of iconic photos in the late 80s of jumbo jets flying seemingly dangerously close to skyscrappers overhead. I think Yu was referencing these photos.

Hi everyone~I'm from Hong Kong; studying in Kowloon City from early 80s to early 90s. My high school is just next to the Kowloon Walled City entrance, about 3 minutes walk. At that time the airport of HK is very famous for Difficult to land due to the close distance of residential area and only top tier pilots can responsible for the duties~At that time you could always see and hear planes just above you as planes were either ready to land or just take off~Tourists were usually shocked by that overhead distance and the extremely loud engine sound of those planes as Ryo did though we were get used to it. Yu Suzuki San just grapped this interesting moment and put it in Wan Chai. In reality you can only see this special scene in Kowloon city because in Wan Chai those planes were already high in the sky~
Not only in Shenmue 2, this scene can always be found in old HK movies. You can now watch one if you search Bruce Lee's movie "Enter the Dragon Theme" on YouTube. The video "Hong Kong Kai Tak Airport" is also extremely worth watching if you want to know more about HK or Shenmue~

Last edited:
20 years later... And I just discovered something special about Shenmue... OMG thank you....

20 years later... And I just discovered something special about Shenmue... OMG thank you....
You are welcome~I just shared some thoughts on this one, some interesting memory ! Sometimes we had to covered our ears if the engine sound is too loud or annoying when walking on the street, having lunch or even during the class~^^

You are welcome~I just shared some thoughts on this one, some interesting memory ! Sometimes we had to covered our ears if the engine sound is too loud or annoying when walking on the street, having lunch or even during the class~^^

A friend of mine grew up in Hong Kong (& Macau) and he used to tell me about the airport there being one landing/taking off strip in among all the buildings. He was used to it as he had been flying in and out since he was small but he remembers people on the flights who had never been before, being truly petrified during the experience.

A friend of mine grew up in Hong Kong (& Macau) and he used to tell me about the airport there being one landing/taking off strip in among all the buildings. He was used to it as he had been flying in and out since he was small but he remembers people on the flights who had never been before, being truly petrified during the experience.
Exactly, I had this experience only twice since I was little at that time. Some children liked to get closer to those planes by going upstairs to the rooftop of mansions just as my classmates did~this is also an interesting scene ! Also due to the extremely close distance between airport and residential area, it was very convenient for tourists since you were already at the center of Kowloon when stepping out from airport. You can access lots of restaurants by just several minutes walk. It's quite difficult to imagine nowadays~^^

I've met two people who have visited Hong Kong and both of them commented on how low the planes fly, how close they are to the buildings. I assumed it was a very unique and memorable thing, a very "Hong Kong" experience for people who were visiting from outside the country, and so Suzuki put it in there.

I've met two people who have visited Hong Kong and both of them commented on how low the planes fly, how close they are to the buildings. I assumed it was a very unique and memorable thing, a very "Hong Kong" experience for people who were visiting from outside the country, and so Suzuki put it in there.
Yes, that's exactly what I thought when I found this plane scene in the game ! Therefore to me it's just an in-game Hong Kong experience and got nothing to do with any hidden story or gameplay elements.

Back