When will the announcement happen?

Yeah, but where is Itagaki? Another Japanese developer that's been forced out of the biz...

That whole sexual harassment thing couldn't have done his career much good tbh ๐Ÿ˜•

I swear, if this 2020 tease basically amounts to nothing but the DLC and no other delicious announcements, I shall riot.

No publisher will ever openly admit that they franchise is dead. SE never confirmed death of Deus Ex, EA never confirmed death of Dead Space franchise, etc.
So if Shenmue 4 will not be announced before November 2020 or we will not hear any news before that date (at least about pre-production), we will need to ask Jason Schreier or any other insider about future of Shenmue. Because Deep Silver will never openly say "Shenmue is dead again, sorry".

My bet is: Not before the DLCs are completely out and not before 2021. I think they need time to prepare and plan everything.

Part of me says if theyโ€™re making it they should just say it as soon as possible to damn all the people who say itโ€™ll never happen and Shenmue 3 was a massive flop.
I agree. But once they do, brace yourselves for Round 2 of "tHeYre sO gReEdY!!1" clickbait idiocy.

I could see them doing an announcement at Magic if Cedric is still involved. I think they'll first get the DLC out of the way...but yeah, I could see an announcement happening at a MAGIC event or something if Cedric is still involved with it all.

I don't think it will happen until either after the DLC is done or later in the year maybe.

I strongly believe that we are only getting the Shenmue 4 announcement after they launch the DLC and the Steam release.
Maybe they will even create a special game of the year edition to boost the sales even further and launch it on other platforms after the exclusivity deals. Only then i believe we will have the announcement of Shenmue 4.

I believe Suzuki is right now negotiating for the funding model of Shenmue 4 with all the interested parties. I doubt he wants to do another kickstarter and is trying to secure corporate funding to make Shenmue 4 the old fashioned way.

Now they have an idea about how well modern Shenmue game should sell and can calculate a budget based on that. I believe we get an announcement when all the details are in place. Hopefully he can get Sega more involved in the project this time around and allow the use of their old arcade games again.

Considering we just got the first DLC this week, with 2 more on the way, I would say that any announcement will be in the summer.

With Sony and many other major publishers skipping out on E3, I don't see it there. It could be, but Sony helped out with the last one. Their absence this year means it could be in a State of Play announcement or it could be in SEGA or Deep Silver's lineup.

I think the only real possibilities are Gamescom and Tokyo Game Show, personally.

Considering we just got the first DLC this week, with 2 more on the way, I would say that any announcement will be in the summer.

With Sony and many other major publishers skipping out on E3, I don't see it there. It could be, but Sony helped out with the last one. Their absence this year means it could be in a State of Play announcement or it could be in SEGA or Deep Silver's lineup.

I think the only real possibilities are Gamescom and Tokyo Game Show, personally.
I don't think they announce it in TGS though since from what I've heard Shenmue is a more popular franchise in west compared to Japan.

Back