Where Did the Road Past Sumiya-san's House Originally Lead?

Switch

Shenmue analysis at www.phantomriverstone.com
Investigation of unused Shenmue map data in the game's files on disc reveals clues that this road was once been going to continue onwards... but to where? This is a write-up of results found last year by others in the community, but I thought it was worth writing it up in a post for people who might not know about it.

"Where did the road past Sumiya-san's house in Sakuragaoka originally lead?"

https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2020/12/where-did-road-past-sumiya-sans-house.html

image2201.png

Last edited:
Very interesting!

Perhaps they were being ambitious and had originally intended to have the Hazuki Dojo, or even Doubita on the same map as Sakuragaoka.

I'd love the chance to ask Suzuki about the really early versions of Shenmue. I bet there's all kinds of interesting tidbits that were planned/cut which we know nothing about!

The game we love has so much history and details, really beautiful and amazing. Maybe this place was supposed to be Suka High but they decided to remove from the game, is interesting to think this way. Thanks Switch

My friend's cousin's uncle's wife's husband's dad's son's nephew's uncle's nephew's friend just informed me the cut area was actually a lake with a small island in the middle with an old man standing on it. After the nighttime transition sequence on the 16th of any in-game month, the player will have to enter the area (named "Shijūkara") within five seconds in order to activate the side quest. As soon as the player steps foot at the edge of the lake, Ryo receives a notebook entry which reads, "Dreary desolate. A normal, old tissue prowls because of the wife."

It is not self-explanatory in the very least, but the player is required to talk to the woman in Tomato Convenience Store and fill in the gaps of the haiku in a similar fashion to Master Chen's password system. Upon doing so, she will mumble and point downwards. The player must then buy five portions of Sliced Fish and head to the Yamanose shrine. Once the dog in the distance has barked on three occasions, it is time to feed the Sliced Fish to the kitten. After feeding the kitten the fifth portion, it will let out a freakishly long meow. Ryo's attention will be drawn to the offerings board at the shrine and the interaction ends.

The player will find a Mahjong tile sitting on the offerings board, which must be picked up to continue with the side quest. The next destination is obvious: Daisangen Mahjong Parlour. The player must stand in front of the owner, open the inventory, and use the tile. This will lead to "..." being displayed as a subtitle for ten seconds as the owner stares at Ryo with his characteristic soulless look. At some point within that ten-second window, a QTE prompt of A, B, or X will suddenly flash up. If the player succeeds, Ryo will duck, spin, and land an absolute cracker of a punch to Dick Phillips' guts. If the player fails, Dick smashes a bottle over the back of Ryo's head, the screen will turn black, and Ryo will be standing at the phonebox in Sakuragaoka, locked out of Shijūkara for the rest of the playthrough.

With Dick down, Ryo will search through Dick's pocket and pull out an item named "Tongue." The item is nowhere to be found in the inventory, but the image accompanying the pop-up when Ryo acquires the item appears to be a sack of something. At this point, the quest is essentially complete. Returning to Shijūkara, a narrow wooden bridge connecting the land to the little island has since appeared, thereby allowing Ryo to reach the old man.

After making it across the bridge and interacting with the old man - who does not even open his eyes, let alone talk - Ryo will be rewarded with a Poké Ball containing Flareth. Regardless of the time, Ryo's wristwatch alarm will go off and he will head home, at which point it will be 11:30pm.

Hope that cleared things up.

Last edited:
My friend's cousin's uncle's wife's husband's dad's son's nephew's uncle's nephew's friend just informed me the cut area was actually a lake with a small island in the middle with an old man standing on it. After the nighttime transition sequence on the 16th of any in-game month, the player will have to enter the area (named "Shijūkara") within five seconds in order to activate the side quest. As soon as the player steps foot at the edge of the lake, Ryo receives a notebook entry which reads, "Dreary desolate. A normal, old tissue prowls because of the wife."

It is not self-explanatory in the very least, but the player is required to talk to the woman in Tomato Convenience Store and fill in the gaps of the haiku in a similar fashion to Master Chen's password system. Upon doing so, she will mumble and point downwards. The player must then buy five portions of Sliced Fish and head to the Yamanose shrine. Once the dog in the distance has barked on three occasions, it is time to feed the Sliced Fish to the kitten. After feeding the kitten the fifth portion, it will let out a freakishly long meow. Ryo's attention will be drawn to the offerings board at the shrine and the interaction ends.

The player will find a Mahjong tile sitting on the offerings board, which must be picked up to continue with the side quest. The next destination is obvious: Daisangen Mahjong Parlour. The player must stand in front of the owner, open the inventory, and use the tile. This will lead to "..." being displayed as a subtitle for ten seconds as the owner stares at Ryo with his characteristic soulless look. At some point within that ten-second window, a QTE prompt of A, B, or X will suddenly flash up. If the player succeeds, Ryo will duck, spin, and land an absolute cracker of a punch to Dick Phillips' guts. If the player fails, Dick smashes a bottle over the back of Ryo's head, the screen will turn black, and Ryo will be standing at the phonebox in Sakuragaoka, locked out of Shijūkara for the rest of the playthrough.

With Dick down, Ryo will search through Dick's pocket and pull out an item named "Tongue." The item is nowhere to be found in the inventory, but the image accompanying the pop-up when Ryo acquires the item appears to be a sack of something. At this point, the quest is essentially complete. Returning to Shijūkara, a narrow wooden bridge connecting the land to the little island has since appeared, thereby allowing Ryo to reach the old man.

After making it across the bridge and interacting with the old man - who does not even open his eyes, let alone talk - Ryo will be rewarded with a Poké Ball containing Flareth. Regardless of the time, Ryo's wristwatch alarm will go off and he will head home, at which point it will be 11:30pm.

Hope that cleared things up.
You sound familiar....have I talked with you about this before? Maybe on 500k?

You sound familiar....have I talked with you about this before? Maybe on 500k?
Nope; as I said, my friend's cousin's uncle's wife's husband's dad's son's nephew's uncle's nephew's friend only brought me up to speed a couple of hours ago.

I have always wondered this, as well as if construction at certain locations would ever be completed during the main game. I would of liked to of seen mods handle those questions, even if they were not canon, it would be interesting to see where it lead to.

Also having a mod that went many years into the future would be interesting. Would the old town still look the same? Would some stuff of been demolished to make room for more modern stuff? Who got married? Who had kids or even grand kids? Who died either through accidents or fighting? Or died from old age? What ever happened to the kitten?

Perfect epilogue to Shenmue V....Ryo's return/visit to Yokosuka...credits rolling as we see glimpses of the town he once called home.

Perfect epilogue to Shenmue V....Ryo's return/visit to Yokosuka...credits rolling as we see glimpses of the town he once called home.
Only to discover the Ajiichi has been replaced with a McDonald's, Kurita-san went mental after breaking up with Yuriko and burned down the Smiley Flower Shop, and Enoki has become a junkie :(

How cool would it have been to walk up that route and visit Ryo's highschool!?

Amazing article as always, Switch! (y)

Would be interesting, that is for sure. Got any more?
- The Funny Bear Burgers guy received fifty-six consecutive life sentences for sex trafficking
- Hirata-san was crushed to death after the bus collided with her shop due to icy conditions on the road (though the parking lot next door received an extension, so not all doom and gloom)
- The proprietor of Abe Store had a tumour removed from her brain, which she now proudly displays in a jar on the counter
- Ono-san has not been seen for three months
- Due to a miscommunication by Fuku-san, the tree in the Hazuki Residence has been cut down
- After an accident with a flaming sambuca, Akemi-san received second-degree burns to 96% of her body from the chest upwards
- Gao Wen has been in a coma for five weeks after being kicked in the head by Santa Maeno, earning the latter the nickname "Santa Meano"
- There has been a spike in cases of hepatitis C in Dobuita, with the correlation between the sick being they all recently received tattoos
- Goro received the sad news that he is infertile, wrecking his dream of forming a baseball team with his ten children

Yokosuka really went to shit after Ryo left.

- The Funny Bear Burgers guy received fifty-six consecutive life sentences for sex trafficking
- Hirata-san was crushed to death after the bus collided with her shop due to icy conditions on the road (though the parking lot next door received an extension, so not all doom and gloom)
- The proprietor of Abe Store had a tumour removed from her brain, which she now proudly displays in a jar on the counter
- Ono-san has not been seen for three months
- Due to a miscommunication by Fuku-san, the tree in the Hazuki Residence has been cut down
- After an accident with a flaming sambuca, Akemi-san received second-degree burns to 96% of her body from the chest upwards
- Gao Wen has been in a coma for five weeks after being kicked in the head by Santa Maeno, earning the latter the nickname "Santa Meano"
- There has been a spike in cases of hepatitis C in Dobuita, with the correlation between the sick being they all recently received tattoos
- Goro received the sad news that he is infertile, wrecking his dream of forming a baseball team with his ten children

Yokosuka really went to shit after Ryo left.

Nothing happy to report? :eek: (The parking lot extension does not count.) Actually... You would make a good news reporter for the game... 🤩 What would you name your establishment/newspaper? :unsure:

Nothing happy to report? :eek: (The parking lot extension does not count.) Actually... You would make a good news reporter for the game... 🤩 What would you name your establishment/newspaper? :unsure:
As I said, Yokosuka really went to shit after Ryo left. I won't even go into detail about what happened to Xiang Xuan Lin.

What would I name it? It already has a name: The Yokosuka Yodel. We have a monthly circulation of 680,000. Badmouth my stellar journalism and I will sue all of you.

At least confirm that nothing hideous happened to Mimi 🙏

At least confirm that nothing hideous happened to Mimi 🙏
Except for taking a few nasty kitten dumps in the laundry hamper and under the kotatsu, Mimi has settled well in her new home and been doing great.

Back