Where is the mirror?

Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Shenmue 3
Correct me if I'm wrong, as this is bugging me. I have only beat Shenmue 3 once and will start on another play through soon. But, did Ryo give up the phoenix mirror towards the end to get Shenhua back? Am I remembering this properly? And Rens mirror was the duplicate he throws at the end? Does that mean both mirrors are in the hands of the Chi You men?

Naio Sun took one and gave it to her underling before setting the place on fire. So the Chi You Men have both, but it seems they are split between two warring factions.

No problem. I half expected Ren to have secretly swapped the mirrors after seeing how Ryo was resistant to try to fool them.

Niao Sun has the Phoenix mirror. But she needs both mirrors and decided to torch the building Lan Di was in who has the other mirror, therefore rendering her incapable of retrieving said mirror. And now we somehow know that Lan Di survived and where he is going, and we can only assume Niao Sun will be there too.

Basically, the ending made no sense.

Lan Di right now.

giphy.gif

Niao Sun has the real Phoenix mirror. What's intriguing though is will she withhold information that's she's retrieved it? It can be a mess narratively speaking on how they'll handle the fallout of her treachery, but I'm intrigued.

Niao Sun has the Phoenix mirror. But she needs both mirrors and decided to torch the building Lan Di was in who has the other mirror, therefore rendering her incapable of retrieving said mirror. And now we somehow know that Lan Di survived and where he is going, and we can only assume Niao Sun will be there too.

Basically, the ending made no sense.

We have no evidence that Lan Di had the dragon mirror in his possession at the end of Shenmue 3. It could just as easily be at Chi You Men headquarters, or anywhere for that matter. Besides, given that Niao Sun seems to be rather intelligent, I doubt she would have torched the building if it meant she might lose the Dragon mirror.

No problem. I half expected Ren to have secretly swapped the mirrors after seeing how Ryo was resistant to try to fool them.

This is totally what I suspected had happened, and then when Ren threw the fake one out of the window to save Ryo I was like "oh fuck, so Niao Sun actually does have the real mirror!"

That's one of the things I'm most looking forward to Shenmue IV for. Both mirrors are now in the possession of the Chi You Men, the stakes are now higher than they have ever been and we have Ryo, Shenhua, Ren, Lan Di, Niao Sun and the warring factions of the Chi You Men all heading to the temple on the scroll. That showdown is going to be fucking insane!

Side note: Did anyone else discover the fake mirror before it came up in the story? I saw it on my first day in Chobu and was a little disappointed it didn’t trigger something. Later on in the story a cutscene did trigger where Ryo spoke to the shop owner about the Phantom River Stone, but Ryo never seems to notice the identical mirror sitting right there!

Yes, I saw it sitting there a few days before the end. I randomly went into a shop to see if it had one of those things that you get the cards for spotting (forget the name) and saw it sitting there. I thought it was just there for a joke and thought it was nicely placed in game when it became a plot point.

I too thought Ren would dupe Ryo at some point and switch the mirrors, because he did not like the idea of Ryo handing over the real one.

Side note: Did anyone else discover the fake mirror before it came up in the story? I saw it on my first day in Chobu and was a little disappointed it didn’t trigger something. Later on in the story a cutscene did trigger where Ryo spoke to the shop owner about the Phantom River Stone, but Ryo never seems to notice the identical mirror sitting right there!

Yeah, I saw it when wondering around...it was at an antique store (or something like that) :D

Ryo handing Niao Sun the mirror
That's one of the things I'm most looking forward to Shenmue IV for. Both mirrors are now in the possession of the Chi You Men, the stakes are now higher than they have ever been and we have Ryo, Shenhua, Ren, Lan Di, Niao Sun and the warring factions of the Chi You Men all heading to the temple on the scroll. That showdown is going to be fucking insane!

Yeah, if we get to IV then that's where we're gonna be fighting the Chi You Men direct. Not only that but it will be the first time we meet them all...including Xiuying's brother.

God I really hope IV happens. If anything, it's probably going to be what Baisha should have been in III. An all out war between factions with our trio of misfits stuck in the middle still not quite knowing what their role is in all of this.

Ryo handing Niao Sun the mirror

Yeah, if we get to IV then that's where we're gonna be fighting the Chi You Men direct. Not only that but it will be the first time we meet them all...including Xiuying's brother.

God I really hope IV happens. If anything, it's probably going to be what Baisha should have been in III. An all out war between factions with our trio of misfits stuck in the middle still not quite knowing what their role is in all of this.
I’m honestly pretty confident we’ll get it. Tailoring the engine for 3 in order to incorporate all the “Shenmue” mechanics probably took the vast majority of the funds. Now that they have the engine done, there is a whole lot less overhead when it comes to developing a sequel. Think of Shenmue 2 in relation to Shenmue 1. Shenmue 1 didn’t do gangbusters, but there was enough invested in the engine that 2 made sense. I think Suzuki-san knew this and already has things in the pipeline to assuage investors’ fears. Shenmue 5 is probably where things will get iffy.

Back