Where to pre-order Shenmue 3

Yep. Which has made the (small) sentiment of "why don't backers get this?!??!?!" elsewhere a bit funny to see.

ALL the physical and digital backer exclusive stuff that you could pledge for... and you want what is effectively a retailer exclusive novelty coin.

I got the impression from the overall wording that "pre-order and purchase" is just a butt-covering exercise, intended to specify that you must actually pay for the game before you're given the bonus, not just place your preorder which can of course be cancelled until the moment of purchase.

I could be wrong though.

I got the impression from the overall wording that "pre-order and purchase" is just a butt-covering exercise, intended to specify that you must actually pay for the game before you're given the bonus, not just place your preorder which can of course be cancelled until the moment of purchase.

I could be wrong though.

That's how I understand it as well.

receive a limited “Dragon/Phoenix Mirror Medallion” edition at time of game pickup!

Yep. Which has made the (small) sentiment of "why don't backers get this?!??!?!" elsewhere a bit funny to see.

ALL the physical and digital backer exclusive stuff that you could pledge for... and you want what is effectively a retailer exclusive novelty coin.
I want my coin dammit, backer or not :p

In all seriousness this is quite a typical thing that most games do now to entice people in. With Shenmue if there are several variations then no doubt fans will flock to get each one, which will push up overall sales. Some might see it as a bit cheeky, I see it as good marketing.

I don't get those guys. I saw them on Facebook. Like, jeez, is there anything a small minority of Shenmue 'fans' won't overblow into a huge issue?

Do they not realise how important the retail and sales aspect is? There's nothing controversial about retail exclusives.

If backers are moaning about a 2" mirror medallion, I can't imagine the reactions if / when other special editions will be revealed. It baffles me to see that some backers are more interested in getting every possible "super exclusive reward" rather than looking at the big picture and caring about Shenmue III's commercial success. Have I missed a secret rule claiming that backers are entitled to more than what they've pledged for?

It's just backer entitlement. It happens with every kickstarter. Wait until you see the uproar when people's rewards don't arrive ln the 27th August and if there are postal delays. Or if some people get slapped with customs charges (if they don't falsify the customs declaration).

It always blows my mind that people don't go into these things with the mindset of "I am making this thing a reality" and are proud of it becoming a real thing. I am proud that Shenmue 3 will be on store shelves in a few months. I am proud that they have a publisher promoting the game with awesome retail exclusives. If there's an amazing Collector's Edition, I will be even more proud.

Whilst I am bitching, I also can't stand the people saying the game "must" be delayed and hope it will be. Are they on the development team? Do they know more about making Shenmue than Yu Suzuki? Have they seen the game running? Have they seen the latest build? Have they even played the game? No? Then stfu.

Sorry, I'm done moaning about people's moaning now :p

Hope this is nobody on the forums, but I'll paraphrase just to be safe...

"I backed the game for $250, shame I won't get this too"

Yeah, what a shame. You'll only get an original Shenmue III illustration, an exclusive in-game arcane technique scroll, an in-game skin change for Ryo's jacket, a physical CD of the soundtrack, a Yu Suzuki-curated artbook, an exclusive in-game advanced technique scroll, 20 in-game capsule toy tickets, an MP3 download of the soundtrack, a Shenmue III t-shirt, a random physical capsule toy figure, access to the backer trial version, AND the game in an exclusive backer case.

Oh, and the in-game World Telecom phone card if you backed on Kickstarter.

It is worth noting, as I worked at GameStop..many times those bonuses come in earlier and are handed out at time of pre-order. I would say any order placed late July-early August would get it at that time.

Things may have changed, but by and large this has always been true. And you can always cancel and refund a day or so after collecting your bonus.

They cannot and are not able to ask you to return the trinket with your return, unless they are complete asshats. Even if they do, you're under no obligation to do so.

I love the Shenmue community to death, but there are some right whiny and moany sods within it. We backed the game with the knowledge and arrangement of receiving the kickstarter rewards that were advertised.

This coin was not advertised or promised to us as backers, so we have no right to want it for free or feel entitled to it. Its fair game from here on out. And yeah, i do hope there are more exclusive items for preorders or special limited edition sets. It's cheeky, yes, but it will drive more sales from us and it will give regular customers more value, so they get more bang for their buck.

When its all said and done, the kickstarter backers are getting x1000 more value in their exclusive items than the regular customer.

It is worth noting, as I worked at GameStop..many times those bonuses come in earlier and are handed out at time of pre-order. I would say any order placed late July-early August would get it at that time.

Things may have changed, but by and large this has always been true. And you can always cancel and refund a day or so after collecting your bonus.

They cannot and are not able to ask you to return the trinket with your return, unless they are complete asshats. Even if they do, you're under no obligation to do so.

I would imagine exploitation of that practice is exactly why they now feel the need to specify more conditions. What a foolish way to have done business.

(List updated with Jolly Roger Bay in Italy.)

Certain retailers have an exclusive pre-order bonus in their own countries, of a two-inch medallion showing different mirror designs on each side.

The only stores known so far are Gamestop in the US and EB Games in Canada, but the small print mentions "other participating retailers in other territories."

Gah, why must I continually give these shitty excuses for human beings, money?

Oh well...

Back