Where U think the source of Haters originated from???

高野和泉

"SAKURA FESTIVAL!"
I've never seen so many professional outlets & gamers hate a unique franchise as much as this one. I'd easily understand if it was a fundamentally broken game series with really bad game design, but it's not. Pioneering trend setting works with as much artistic integrity as Shenmue are usually or always enshrine in the upper echelon of gaming history along other revolutionary classics Like Zelda/Mario/Metroidvanias/Sonic/VF/Etc. So what did Shenmue ever do to all these haters that is coming out of the wood works?:oops:

hating on something is the main sport on Internet :) especially if your hatred is aimed at something that's loved by a rather small community. Seriously, it's something that's being studied by sociologists nowadays... don't search for specific reasons, it's just the worst part of human instincts

I don't think there are so much, we can perceive it as this franchise is important to us, but victmhood does not help at all and there is a lot of that in the Shenmue community sometimes

Hatred towards Shenmue 3 from certain corners of gaming is to be expected. Shenmue is an alien concept to many of the tried and true genres that a popular today. For some gamers that is reason enough to pull Shenmue 3 down, lest it inspire other developers to make similar games. Because the industry is in many ways a zero sum game in the end, more resources devoted to one style of gaming means less available to be used elsewhere. Developers and publishers are businesses after all; they will go where they think the money is for the most part.

Sega getting a huge acclaimed project on the eve of the PS2. System wars fueled the first round of Shenmue hatred.

PS4 vs Xbox - saw a lot of shade being thrown at Shenmue after E3 by Xbox fanboys. I’m kind of shocked console fanboys are still a thing, but that leads me to something even weirder...

Steam vs EGS - free software purists?? Anyway, this seems to be where the current largest stream of bile comes from. Lotta folks calling Yu Suzuki greedy or dishonest because of this whole mess. Sad.

Then there are just those people who are afraid of things they don’t understand. How can people love this game I don’t understand!? They’re lying! No one can possibly like something I don’t like!!!

Shenmue III was weaponised into another reason to attack the

EpicGamesStore.jpeg

People just can't let it go. I see the same posters still going on about every fuckin five minutes

giphy.gif

😂😂😂

Beedin ell, and I thought my dad's VAR conspiracy theories were bad!

It probably started because it was the AAA exclusive of the "enemy" (we live in a sony world after all).
Magazines at time didn't understood the revolution of Shenmue, they finally understood it only decades later.

Shenmue is a series that make them remember their incompetence...

Shenmue III was weaponised into another reason to attack the

EpicGamesStore.jpeg

People just can't let it go. I see the same posters still going on about every fuckin five minutes

giphy.gif

This! I feel like this is the main source of it all. That and media outlets such as Youtubers and some in the Mainstream Media railed so hard against them for this move that it naturally fostered “outrage”

Let us not forget the click bait likes of The Quatering. All it takes is one Youtube video feigning outrage and you have a handful of their audience carrying that torch for them ready to burn it all to the ground.

And as we all know, everyone just loves to be “outraged” at something on the internet these days.

Hence your answer.

That and Shenmue has been a joke to some in the industry for a long time....let us not forget the likes of Gertsmann and his “it’s a forklift simulator for assholes!” (I know he was joking and looking for a rise with this statement, but there is no denying that he has considered Shenmue to be a failure and a joke for a long time)

Three main things imo
1) A lot of people simply don't "get" Shenmue, and it annoys them when they see people loving the series as a result
2) People that were insisting for years that S3 would never happen and to "get over it!" angry that they were wrong, refused to come to terms with it
3) Epic

The truth is that a number of us have been working on destroying Shenmue for almost 20 years now.

I got the game for Christmas years ago and was bored, the game didn’t have guns like GTA so what was even the point in playing it?

I was so angry I got this game instead of GTA 3 that I swore I would destroy Shenmue and ruin it for the people who love it. I started by finding people like me who like cool games and we started to grow in numbers, we had MSN group chats to start where we would plan how we could destroy Shenmue and make sure it never succeeds.

We knew the the Xbox would be more aimed at Western gamers so our plan was to make Shenmue 2 an Xbox exclusive when SEGA started offering out their IP. We was able to get one of our people a job high up at Microsoft by making a fake CV for one of our moles and making websites for a huge fake business he worked at (early internet so was easier to lie) high up. He convinced Peter Moore to get Shenmue 2 and it was a failure. Job Done!

We enjoyed many years of great games like Call of Duty and FIFA without boring stuff like Shenmue, even Yakuza was better because it had blood. But then, E3 2015.

Luckily in this time our network had grown massively, we controlled the the gaming media. We set in place a smear campaign to destroy Shenmue for not being cool! Anything we could use we blew up into a huge story and made fun of so much it became a meme.

The general public are sheep and we knew it would be easy to control them. None of them can think for themselves so we had to tell them everything they saw about the game they didn’t like, they couldn’t come to this conclusion themselves.

I have to admit we was worried at times. When it was selling well at Amazon I made some calls to make sure there would be some stock issues so they could not sell the game for a period of time. I forced the CEO of Best Buy to discount the game before launch to make it look bad as I have material that could ruin his life.

Now most people look at the game and see weird voice acting with awful writing and gameplay issues that was solved by other games 15 years ago and think that’s why the game has got shit from everyone. The public aren’t as smart as you to know what we’ve been doing this in the shadows and will continue to do so until Shenmue is dead because it’s impossible for most people to just not like a weird game, there is clearly something afoot because how could anyone dislike it?

Yeah, that's a funny post, but there's objectively a serious amount of negativity published against and directed towards this series for one reason or another, especially considering its relative obscurity. I really think it's quite undeniable. Is it worth troubling ourselves over? Probably not, but some of us are weird and have nothing better to do. Nicely written, though.

hmm a lot of good points brought up so there's little for me to add here.

I will say that though at the heart of Shenmue's gameplay is a point and click adventure game and if its 'disguised' as an action rpg that many iniitally thought itd be (paced wise), then that might have put a lot of people off when they found it out to be more of a slower paced life simulation with P&C investigative mechanics.
This I also feel, is what fuels many of the 'Shenmue haters' that are more of the GTA or modern open world fans or also supposedly Yakuza fans (I am a fan of both) that try to claim Yakuza is the better Shenmue game. (when its clearly something different and thus was never truly trying to be; just had some simularities inspired by it)

The soured perception kickstarters in general coupled with general hype backlash against the series as it became more widely available I think is the main reason. Gaming is a weird medium cause I feel like more so than any other one theres an obsession with tearing down the past and replacing it outright, theres alot of disrespect long time Creators get and theres the trends now of replacing old versions of games with new graphically enhanced ones as total replacements even when they sometimes arent.

In many ways I think Shenmue 3 was announced at the perfect time capitalize on the kickstarter, but it was released at one of the worst

I feel like Miyamoto is impervious to this
Nah alot of people shit on Miyamoto as a hack who ruined paper mario and starfox. Sakurai on the other hand seems pretty impervious, and deservingly so that guy is insanely hard-working. Eiji Aonuma also is one I dont see much disrespect for.

Yu Suzuki and Hideo Kojima are the two that I was really thinking of when I said it, cause people aren't just desperate to make their game's out to be incompetent and their legacy to be misplaced, but are trying to push these weird personal attacks to paint them as awful people outside of games, making Yu to be some greedy scam artist cause he dared to make a video game thats niche and had a game release on epic, or Kojima to be a megalomaniac that thinks hes above everyone even though everyone that works with him kind of refutes this save david hayter.

Miyamoto hasn't actually worked on a game in years, has he?

Miyamoto hasn't actually worked on a game in years, has he?
No but hes still a hands on producer with loads of influence on what projects are, the ruining paper mario thing is actually a real complaint and can be blamed on him, after thousand year door was beloved all around, the developers were actually making a real follow up in its style, but miyamoto crunched that under the impression that because they already have the mario and luigi series theres no need for another mario rpg, so we got the abysmal sticker star.

Hes definitely a mixed bag as a producer, but calling him a hack like alot of people do feels disrespectful to all hes done. The guys done alot, no shit hes gonna have some screw ups. Even if some of them are genuinely infuriating the infamous fate of star fox 2

There is no hate agenda against shenmue. Only against shenmue 3 is there serious criticism and for all the right reasons. Just check metacritic for shenmue 2, or general reviews. They are incredibly high.

Back