Which Cover Art is Your Favorite?

When I read the title, I thought it was an easy answer. I had the answer in my head, but... I didn't. U.S Shenmue is one, but no wait, this new Limited Edition Japanese release is very sweet! But then, Shenmue 2 was such a change, from the awesome original blue cover...

Bollocks if I can pick a favourite. That's like picking your favourite kid or something. It's impossible.

The US Shenmue cover is so beautiful. JP version of II is great too. Love the PS4 LE as well. Hell, they're all great. Except one.

I prefer PAL Shenmue for the blue matching the background, whereas a lot of PAL labels are intrusive and obnoxious (other exceptions off top of mind are Headhunter, Evil Twin and Phantasy Star Online). The minimal style of JP labels are cool and love the shape, which makes any cover look nice automatically. Also, I'm biased, but really love the NA labels, white or black, but the black definitely fits better to Shenmue; Shenmue 2 would've looked so nice in an NA cover :(

I'd say PAL Shenmue and Japanese Shenmue II are the best.

I prefer PAL Shenmue for the blue matching the background, whereas a lot of PAL labels are intrusive and obnoxious (other exceptions off top of mind are Headhunter, Evil Twin and Phantasy Star Online). The minimal style of JP labels are cool and love the shape, which makes any cover look nice automatically. Also, I'm biased, but really love the NA labels, white or black, but the black definitely fits better to Shenmue; Shenmue 2 would've looked so nice in an NA cover :(

I'd say PAL Shenmue and Japanese Shenmue II are the best.

I think the white Dreamcast case would have looked really odd with the North American design.

I don't mind the XBOX version, but the black frame around the PAL XBOX was an odd decision.

True, the PAL Xbox Shenmue II is the worst I think.

The best would be the Japan Limited Edition of Shenmue I & II since it only shows each character once, not two Ryos and two Shenhuas.

The PS4 Shenmue 1 and 2 limited edition is my favorite now. But I do like Shenmue 1 US cover art alot.

Last edited:
Actually going to go somewhat against the grain here and say the S2x cover, I think I've already mentioned it prior but I really like the Struzan-esque layout and (to me) it represents the essence of these games the best.

It's epic, the placement of the character fits, I really like the way Ryo's detailed and his expression, the colours, the scenes and that 70's Kung-Fu vibe. The DC covers are visually striking of course but it's kinda also a big vague

And one fo the biggest reasons here is: it's the only cover here that was traditionally painted (prior to being digitally enhanced by the looks of it) which seldom ever happens these days (especially for a collage like this) so imo it deserves brownie points just for that imo.

I like the re-release cover second I'd say, the blue and yellow contrasting is really nice and it's blended together well + conveys the change in tone of each of the games. The lack of contrasting of the foreground+background of the logo is a bit of a shame though, I'm a bit surprised it was advertised as that tbf (it's difficult to see). Thankfully the image cover itself is striking.

I'd say the Japanese re-release limited edition is (relatively) my least favourite here. I like the broader introduction of characters but the positioning seems a little strange to me, and the highlighting on Iwao's hair. I think that for this limited edition: they should've commissioned an artist to make fresh work for it which would've made it more appealing of as item. it doesn't do much for me to see these older renders re-purposed to make a new image, but that's just me.

Man, EU Dreamcast jewel cases are the worst (aside from aesthetics) they always broke around the hinge, and really thick for it's size despite holding less discs.

The one where Ryo's tryna grope Joy's arse, followed closely by the one where he's tryna stroke Ren's nob.

Everything but the Shenmue II Xbox cover. That thing is atrocious.
yes its a bad shenmue cover as it looks nothing like the characters but i think the artist is/was quite skilled at airbrush artwork.
the reason it looks bad is because i believe the artist didnt have any good Reference photos to work from, so he/she probably used photos of themself or friends.. which is quite common.

do we know who created the shenmue 2 xbox cover?

I guess im the only one that loves the Xbox cover of S2x. :hushed: I also don't have an issue on how the characters look on it. I feel they look pretty accurate to their in game counterparts.

I don't mind the 2x cover, either. Worst--in extremely relative terms because they're all objectively great--is probably Shenmue 2 PAL DC because of my aforementioned intrusive label logo. Doesn't blend at all with the cover's backdrop unlike the first game. Should've stayed with the launch/early designs of only leaving the spindle spine blue coloured with the Dreamcast font. Would've been even more minimal than Japanese covers and therefor allow the art to truly be the focus, as it should.

Anyone old enough or veteram enough to recall the placeholder original 2x design will never forget the traumatizing butthead of Ryo and how everyone ACTUALLY looked no where near themselves. At least the final design is close enough and forgivable as creative license for a preally cool drawing and painting style. The PAL version is odd with the added black border cropping, but still over blown of how bad fans hate on it.

The best: Original JP Shenmue as it's the cleanest version of an awesome, mysterious design.

The worst: Shenmue I & II CE because it's a cluttered collage of old character artwork.

Not all PAL versions of Shenmue IIx have the black border -- I have an Australian version and it uses the full artwork.

Back