Who actually likes shenmue 3?

I'm enjoying it. It's easier to criticize than compliment. This could be a nice thread on the non-spoiler forum; Things you LIKE about Shenmue 3.

Well, as much as we love the series it's kinda hard to look past Shenmue 3 many faults. For me personally it's not on a previous games level at all. Magic has gone, we have to take nostalgia glasses off and admit it.

It's pretty good. Definitely more style over substance - quantity of content rather than quality of content - but I'm having a good time with it. Solid 7/10 up to the point I am at currently.

Well, as much as we love the series it's kinda hard to look past Shenmue 3 many faults. For me personally it's not on a previous games level at all. Magic has gone, we have to take nostalgia glasses off and admit it.

If I had any nostalgia glasses it would be about shenmue 1 and 2... 3 is a new experience 20 years later it doesn’t have any nostalgia associated with it.

To me it perfectly captures the shenmue feeling.

Ryo and shenhua are far far far more interesting characters than they were before

Bailu village and niaowu are a joy to explore.

The combat has some challenge to it as opposed to 1 and 2.

honestly better than i thought it would be, i really enjoyed it... mostly, i actually liked the combat, the stamina system was annoying but ok once i trained but i agree narratively it was weaker than id have liked but all in all i really enjoyed it and will go back again very soon. websites scoring this with 5's are a disgrace i think if anyone spent time playing the game and experiencing properly you cant help but love it at least a little, quirks and all. i think the problem is that it had such huge shoes to fill, im glad they didnt wrap it up in one game though, that would have been incredibly rushed. fingers crossed for shenmue 4

If I had any nostalgia glasses it would be about shenmue 1 and 2... 3 is a new experience 20 years later it doesn’t have any nostalgia associated with it.
Really now? Shenmue 3 exist thanks to thousands backers nostalgia about the series. Can't imagine many people who never cared or play Shenmue in the past really like this new game.

Really now? Shenmue 3 exist thanks to thousands backers nostalgia about the series. Can't imagine many people who never cared or play Shenmue in the past really like this new game.

Nostalgia by definition is a feeling of pleasure and or sadness about something in the past. Shenmue 3 is a game made in 2019 I am nostalgic about shenmue as a series but not this game. I can also see where shenmue 3 does things differently to 1 and 2 and somethings better and worse.

While overall I'm negative about the game, there are things I liked.

+ Combat: was not expecting to like this, but in the end I believe Suzuki succeeded in his aim of having cinematic yet accessible combat. Playing on Hard, it's a breeze even for someone like me who isn't normally good at fighting games to use the LB and RB buttons to switch between awesome moves like Thunder Palm and Twin Palm Flurry (before spamming Shinbone Smash :p ).
+ Environments: Bailu, especially, is gorgeous. Love the flowers and the purple sunsets. I like the village feel of Bailu with the townspeople as well.
+ Master Sun: buying aged wine for a drunken master and being told to chase chickens, great stuff.
+ Integration of various gameplay systems: Having everything integrated towards getting money & skill books was clever, and more satisfying than in previous games where these systems were disparate.
+ Humour: Having to chop wood on your last morning to pay the bill was funny.

I just wanted to post this so I could hear what positive opinions people have about shenmue 3. I have actually found the last week very depressing at how negative so many people are being about a great game in my opinion and would like to hear some positivity.
I think it's wonderful. The only minor complaint I've had is that the English writing and voice acting is somehow worse than the old games for main characters. Shenhua went from talking to the animals, risking her life to save a goat in Shenmue 2, to threatening to murder a cow for having a friendly face.

I've abandoned The Outer World for this. Shenmue looks and runs beautifully on PC.

Last edited:
Except known issues, I honestly liked SM3, it's rare to keep me so involved until the credits rolled in.
Just started new game plus to do side quests and master kung fu/scrolls!

Hope to get more details about story DLC soon!

I like it. I don't love it. Shenmue 2 is better in nearly every way that matters. Its more fun than Shenmue 1 but it certainly doesnt capture what made those games so special...the story.

- It's the first Shenmue game that has given me a ton to do with my game days. In 1 and 2 I usually just wait around or time skip when I can because a lot of the side activities felt soulless or boring.

- I like that they made training fun and important. In my original play throughs of 1 and 2 I never trained andwhen I did in the HD remasters I thought it was boring.

- The sidegames that are there are fun for what they are.

-i like the locations in the game overall. I was actually never a fan of Shenmue 1's locations believe it or not. I enjoyed Bailu in particular.

-I like a lot of the new tracks. Not including the reused ones from Shenmue 1 and 2 and online. There are also some new subtle arrangements of old tracks I believe.

- Ryo actually gets some character development in Bailu if you talk to Shenhua every night.

- This game definitely espects your time more than the other games imo.

those are my positives really. the game should have just ended with Niaowu and Shenhua getting captured. Move the fight with the buff guy to Niaowu and reveal Niao Sun's true identity there too. Just make Shenhuas capture a much bigger deal all around. That way in Shenmue 4 Baisha could have been the opening chapter and the ending would not have been as bad and rushed.

Back