Who do you think canonically won the 5th tournament?

Favourite title
Shenmue
PSN
Jrockstr
With VF 5 Ultimate Showdown coming out next week for PS4. It'll be the last update before eventually fingers crossed they move onto 6th. With all that being said who do you think will be revealed as the winner of the 5th fighting tournament? The winners so far are Lau, Akira, & Kage.

I think a shock and surprise would be Aoi. A dark horse could be Jacky or possibly Lei Fei.

Who would be your choice?

Last edited:
It’s an interesting question! I’m wondering if it will still be one of the original 8 from
VF1, as it has been so far. And maybe it’s a female character’s turn, so potentially Pai or Sarah? Maybe Pai as the winners so far have been either Chinese or Japanese?
Although I recall reading somewhere the canon winners were based on real life tournament winners and the characters they used...I may be overthinking this 😛

It’s an interesting question! I’m wondering if it will still be one of the original 8 from
VF1, as it has been so far. And maybe it’s a female character’s turn, so potentially Pai or Sarah? Maybe Pai as the winners so far have been either Chinese or Japanese?
Although I recall reading somewhere the canon winners were based on real life tournament winners and the characters they used...I may be overthinking this 😛
I didn't even think about Pai taking it she definitely could! It would come full circle storyline wise and she'll probably mend her relationship with Lau or find a cure to his terminal illness as a reward.

I also remember reading that somewhere as well back in the day about real tournament winners. I think it may have been in one of the old instruction booklets but my memory could be wrong.

Watch them give it to Lion or Taka-Arashi lol.

I think it would be a great twist to see Goh, Lion, El Blaze, Shun-Di, or maybe Vanessa win. I actually would like Jean Kujo to win personally since he's one of my favorites.

Last edited:
I am bias towards Pai, but that's only from personal taste and not taking everything into the bigger picture. From a story telling standpoint I'd love to see Virtua Fighter 6 make a Mortal Kombat X/11 style story mode that is amazingly over the top rather than just having an arcade mode, so if they wanted to lay the ground work for a really good VF6 plot then they should probably go with a villain to win the tournament for VF5, even if its achieved dirty in order to set up some type of story. When it comes to a story I don't feel VF5 should focus too much on itself given its age, but rather set up something juicy for VF6 and give the franchise it's long overdue story mode. In this case, I don't really know who would be the right person to win.

I think it would be a great twist to see Goh, Lion, El Blaze, Shun-Di, or maybe Vanessa win. I actually would Jean Kujo to win personally since he's one of my favorites.
Those are some really good choices I could see anyone of them taking it on any given day. Another one could be Wolf power bombing people on his way to victory. I think Brad has more than a decent shot at it as well.

I am bias towards Pai, but that's only from personal taste and not taking everything into the bigger picture. From a story telling standpoint I'd love to see Virtua Fighter 6 make a Mortal Kombat X/11 style story mode that is amazingly over the top rather than just having an arcade mode, so if they wanted to lay the ground work for a really good VF6 plot then they should probably go with a villain to win the tournament for VF5, even if its achieved dirty in order to set up some type of story. When it comes to a story I don't feel VF5 should focus too much on itself given its age, but rather set up something juicy for VF6 and give the franchise it's long overdue story mode. In this case, I don't really know who would be the right person to win.
I've always dug Pai also. Her fighting style is speedy and very fluid. I have always had a soft spot for Aoi. I love her reversal abilities but absolutely hate playing against her lol. Anyone of them could theoretically take the crown. I would love to see Jacky, Pai, Aoi or Lei Fei snatch it the most. It'll definitely be interesting. I'm drawing a blank on who the actual villainous winner would be Goh is still one I believe and Jean? Aside from that I can't think of anyone else

RGG studio can definitely make a over the top story work in their games while letting AM2 focus on the combat in the future.

VF 1-Lau
VF 2-Akira
VF 3-Kage
VF 4-Kage

Something interesting I find is that Lau and Akira have little to do with the Syndicate storyline, whereas Kage was fighting to rescue his mother. But, they all share one thing in common, being members of the original 9 character roster! Therefore, it can be deduced that the choice of a winner is biased towards characters from VF1, and in half of the cases, also relevant to the plot. I feel that's VERY useful for figuring out who'd win since it eliminates (or at least greatly lowers the chances for) about 75% of the cast.

But, ultimately IMHO It depends on if VF6 would expand on the oft-ignored story or not. At this point in the saga, where there have been 5 tournaments and with the Syndicate having pissed off so much of the cast (Kage, Jeffry, Wolf, the Bryants, Vanessa, plus Goh being targeted for assassination if he fails again, Lion's mistrust of his father, and Shun Di's search for the missing student leading the last few to naturally distrust them, and Akira probably suspects something is off since he canonically fought Dural), it would only be logical for this to be when the story starts having status quo changes. Maybe the heroes will go after the J6 head-on instead of just waiting for the next Tournament again.

(IDK how canon it is, but there was an, shit you not, pachinko machine that had actual cutscenes and story! It depicted Pai as being targeted by the J6 for...some reason. So add her to the list, maybe.)

In that case, I'd peg either Sarah or Jacky, since they fit the categories of being tied to the plot and from VF1. Plus I recall hearing somewhere, that Jacky didn't actually lose the second tournament, he just completely dropped the thing when he saved Sarah, didn't even face Kage. I'd say there's a chance his full fighting skills haven't been shown yet. But, Sarah would be more dramatically satisfying, since she has brainwashed herself, and almost turned into Dural...

If the story is just another thing to be saved for the manual, tho? Then it'll probably be whoever the hell the devs like most. One of the original cast has a greater chance, due to their iconicness, but otherwise, it's up in the air. Whatever is needed to give characters an interesting-sounding bio. (I.E. Akira losing to Kage TWICE.)

I do hope, someday, that we'll get a proper story mode for the series. Good or Bad, it would absolutely be entertaining, no doubt.

Back