Who's playing Shenmue 3 slowly?

Favourite title
Shenmue IIx
Currently playing
Ghost of Tsushima
PSN
mjqjazzbar
I know I've been running my mouth about the game, mostly in its defense, but I haven't even left Bailu. To be fair, it's hard for me to get more than an hour of a game into my schedule every night and I was really sick the week the game came out. I find that it really is a great game to play in short bursts, though, and it leaves me wanting more. I can't imagine just powering through the game in two or three days...

I'm in the same boat; I've spent, I'd say, a good 35-40 hours thus far (spent the last 5 going back and getting the herb trophy in Bailu, which in turn, means that I've JUST now gone back to start in Niaowu) in Bailu.

I will also say that getting the trophies, is really fleshing out the game and maximizing its playtime.

I just got the 1,000 logs medal and only just did the Verdant Bridge stuff. I saw someone say the game only takes 15 hours to complete on Reddit and I had to do a double take... Maybe that's why they didn't enjoy it. Not even sure how you can win some fights without spending time training.

It takes me like three months minimum to complete Yakuza games. I think 0 took me 5 months.

I purposely took my time. I couldn't understand how so many fans seemed to rush through it. Especially since we had been waiting so long for this game. I was like "don't you guys want to savor this experience?" I wanted to really take in everything as I went along. I also tried to knock out as many trophies on my first play through that I could which also helped lengthen my playthrough. So, I just finished it on Friday night after taking a couple of hours a night to play it since release. I love it and I am excited to back through and play it again NG+.

I just got the 1,000 logs medal and only just did the Verdant Bridge stuff. I saw someone say the game only takes 15 hours to complete on Reddit and I had to do a double take... Maybe that's why they didn't enjoy it. Not even sure how you can win some fights without spending time training.

It takes me like three months minimum to complete Yakuza games. I think 0 took me 5 months.

Wow lol.

Yeah, I think the most I've spent on a Yakuza title is 1 month or so and I do get in about 70 hours, in that month.

5 months is WAY too long lol; I can imagine how long 5 would take you then!

Wow lol.

Yeah, I think the most I've spent on a Yakuza title is 1 month or so and I do get in about 70 hours, in that month.

5 months is WAY too long lol; I can imagine how long 5 would take you then!
I got stuck on the cabaret and real estate stuff for a good portion of that time. Like I said, though, I average about maybe five or six hours a week if I'm lucky. I think I put about 100 hours into Judgment, so that might've taken me as long... And I still can't platinum those games.

Yeah, I know I post a lot on here, but I'm burning company hours. Things change once I'm at home...

It tooks me aprox 2 weeks to finish it, I took my time, I calculate a media between 1.5 to 3 hours per day, it is a game better enjoy when play it slowly

I was the same. I wanted to make it last as long as I could. There was no way that I was going to rush through the story in 20 hours, and honestly, I was kinda surprised when I saw that some people on here finished in like 3 days after release.

I managed to get a PS4 copy on the 15th, so put 12 hours into that before switching over to PC (my main platform) on release day. I had to start from scratch, and it took me 72 hours on my first playthough. I talked to pretty much every character every single time that there was some kind of story progression. Because of this, I managed to do every request, apart from 1. I also got pretty much every move scroll in the game, and levelled them to max... That was a bit savage to be honest.

I was playing on PC on EGS, and sadly, that doesn't have achievements implemented yet. I would have unlocked most of them, and would have used NG+ to go back and finish them all. On the upside, it means going back to the PS4 version for my second playthrough will be a lot more fun, as I'll be able to hunt for all the trophies. I was going to start straight away, but decided to put a game in between instead as I don't want to get burnt out on Shenmue. Currently just started Death Stranding and will return for the Shenmue 3 trophy binge after that!

I got stuck on the cabaret and real estate stuff for a good portion of that time. Like I said, though, I average about maybe five or six hours a week if I'm lucky. I think I put about 100 hours into Judgment, so that might've taken me as long... And I still can't platinum those games.

Yeah, I know I post a lot on here, but I'm burning company hours. Things change once I'm at home...

Oh man that cabaret mini game prolonged my Yakuza 0 playthrough about 3 weeks. At least with the real estate minigame you can complete it while doing story related things but the damn cabaret you have to drop everything.

I guess because I already played it in Japanese in 2015, I BLEW by the Cabaret in 0, on my second playthrough; think I got it all done in 3 or 4 days, playing 2-3 hours a day.

I got the hand signals downpat during the Japanese version and learned the system, so it was too easy ;)

lol same. I was a complete savage when it came to Yakuza 0! Took me 131 hours! I was going for the platinum, but gave up as I couldn't beat the guy for the last substory. Lent the game to a friend, but when I get it back, I'm going to grind it out till I get it. Was my first Yakuza game and have slowly been working through them all (and Judgment) since. Just waiting for Feb when the physical remasters of 3-5 come out. Been so tempted to buy the digital, but I've waited a few months, I can wait a few more!

Last edited:
Me πŸ™‚ , spent 30+ hours in Bailu the first few days, now back after some time off due to work, now getting to know Niaowu a bit better, planning to spend some time with Shenmue 3 over Christmas

lol same. I was a complete savage when it came to Yakuza 0! Took me 131 hours! I was going for the platinum, but gave up as I couldn't beat the guy for the last substory. Lent the game to a friend, but when I get it back, I'm going grind it out till I get it. Was my first Yakuza game and have slowly been working through them all (and Judgment) since. Just waiting for Feb when the physical remasters of 3-5 come out. Been so tempted to buy the digital, but I've waited a few months, I can wait a few more!

That's all you need?! Amon is easy, just bring a ton of healing items and weapons! :)

So slowly I haven't even started yet. I will this weekend, hopefully.

That's all you need?! Amon is easy, just bring a ton of healing items and weapons! :)
Yeh I think that's the one. It's been a while since I played it, since I lent him the game about a year ago (you know how it is lending games to friends) so I can't really remember what I was doing lol.

62 hours so far. I expect to reach 80 hours to beat the game. I never play two ingame days in a row.

I wouldn't say I'm playing slowly though. I just want to make sure of discovering all the dialogues each time the main story does one step, and beating all the street fighters before the main villain. It would be dumb story-wise to look for Lan Di if I know I'm not better than the best street fighter of Guilin.

Considering the plot is as thin as a samurai blade, you can measure the Yu's sense of priority: he wanted to make sure the spent time is worth the 18-year wait by making a game with lot of fun and things to complete, and he kind of managed it.

Back