Who's playing Shenmue 3 slowly?

I'm playing more slowly through my NG+... Trying for the trophies, so it'll take me a long time. I think this is the best way to enjoy the game... Don't rush! ☺️

To be fair, it's hard for me to get more than an hour of a game into my schedule every night and I was really sick the week the game came out.

Basically the exact same situation here... I got a brief flu the first week, but even in the best of health I'm just playing one day per night, and not playing every night. So I'm still quite early in the story, but even going slowly I'm worried about missing out on some aspects - I haven't even tried fishing yet, been focused more on herbs and capsule toys. Anyway, it really takes me back to playing Shenmue I originally, although in those days I probably played for 2-3 hours at a time.

I'm also having to be very wary looking around here on the Dojo, so it's weird having spent so much time here in the wait for the game and not having it be something I can really fully engage with now that I'm actually playing the game.

I'm very early into Niaowu. Only because I'm currently moving and havent had the time to play it for over a week. I'd like to get through the story soon so I can check out the spoiler and IV forums.

I’m probably about halfway through Niaowu. I took my sweet time with Bailu and enjoyed every minute of it, although I do seem to have missed one side quest so I’ll be doing a second run immediately after I finish the whole thing. Not sure how many hours I’ve put in, but been playing since the 20th or 21st almost on a daily basis. Some days I can only get an hour in (which flies by ridiculously fast), and others I sacrifice sleep to get a good 4-5 hours. So all in all, I’ve very much taken my time with it. Fishing has been a huge part of it.

I just unlocked vendor avenue in Niaowu. As a matter of fact it took almost a ingame week from starting Niowu to there just doing side activities, fishing and training.
I really hope the end date for the bad end is generous as April just ended...

Still in Bailu. I'd estimate about 4-5 hours of gameplay so far. Just starting to get into sparring with the monks. I'm purposefully not paying attention to trophies, and happy to see gaps in my notebook. Just gives me more to look forward to and discover on a subsequent playthrough.

Don't have a ton of time to play, so when I do I make sure to enjoy every moment of it.

The Epic Store says I clocked 41 hours so far and it's basically the time it took me to complete the story on Hard mode. Now I'll go back to do all the stuff I missed :)

I'm still on my first playthrough and in Bailu. I'm telling you, those who rushed through the village missed tons of content and Yu's story intent for Bailu for sure. I can't believe the amount of voiced optional dialogue this games has as it's simply mind-blowing. It's to an extent that puts even modern RPGs like the Mass Effect franchise and the Witcher to shame. That's why it's such a real disappointment to see that part of the budget was delegated on the dual audio and even sadder to realize that most players, even fans will probably never even experience all that work fully in their playtime.

I capped myself at 40 hours because I wanted to write my review...I felt 40 hours was pretty substantial and I saw a good chunk of what the game offered. I didn't see everything though (I still haven't cleaned up all side quests -- I've seen all side quests in Bailu but I think I only did 4 or 5 side missions in Chobu)

I enjoyed my 40 hours spent on that first run. For whatever reason, I enjoyed practicing GON with my daily training. I just enjoyed the simple act of existing in this world. Just hanging out exploring stuff was kind of oddly relaxing and chill...I spent at least four days straight (in game) where I made zero progress with the story at times just because I was doing other stuff.

Yeah, I don't regret my initial 40 hours spent with it...at all. I kind of wish I hadn't been in a race to wrap it up, but there came a point where I really wanted to write my review for it so I felt I HAD to wrap it up and get cooking on that.

But I don't regret my 40 initial hours spent with it.

I'm too very early into Niaowu. When I was progressing through Bailu I didn't finish the fishing tournament and only cought blue catfish before it ended. Furthermore, I want to add that in Bailu I didn't collect all capsule toys and exchangeable prizes and also herbs. So right now I'm thinking about to replay Bailu part. Shenmue is not about rushing.

Never heard about chopping wood medal, sounds really interesting! :)

I am, I learned my lesson after Shenmue 2 and looking back at how much stuff there was to miss and sidequests I didn't even know existed. I'm just happy though that Shenmue 3 has things to do to kill the grind, even if it is dependent on the Stamina system and the constant need for food and money.

I'll probably do a slower playthrough in NG+. I still took my time in my first playthrough and spent a good amount of time exploring, but there's a certain point where I feel like I need to keep moving forward. Now that I have stamina and training maxed out, I can spend more time exploring and talking to the residents of Bailu in my next playthrough.

I tried to play it slow, but was too eager to get the story moving. I think it'll take the second play-through to get me to explore places more.

Still like nowhere near completing it at all atm.

Still at the VERY beginning of Niaowu; I've just begun collecting capsules (got all the cars and a second bus, as I see you'll need one for a quest AND a scroll), did all the arcade stuff and so far found 1 Chobu-chan (apparently there's one in the prize exchange, but I don't see it).

Fully trained up Rooster... walk? (can't remember the name! lol) as well and have beaten Black Dragon for fighting.

I will continue with the story once I've gotten a few more capsule sets :)

Apart from release day, where I played five in-game days in a row, I've only played one or two in-game days per week. I've unlocked most/all of the Niaowu map I think. I'd like to play more but I'm usually too tired after work, putting the kids to bed etc. I'm not that fussed though because once it's over, it's over!

I've no idea how anybody could beat this game in 20 hours. I must be somewhere between 30-40 hours of game time and I'm still only early into Niaowu. Just reached the Bustling Diner, nearing the end of April on the calendar.

Back