Why kickstarter to make S4? What about SEGA?

If he's against that kind of stuff I wonder what he thought of Ryo being in that Sega All Stars Racing game.

I want to see Ren make an appearance in another game. Be it Yakuza, Smash, or his own China set Yakuza clone.

Someone else on the forum said that Sega asked Yu-san's permission to use Ryo in Sega All Stars Racing, even though they didn't need to.

I also recall him saying that he doesn't play many video games as he feels like he would subconsciously copy things he'd seen. As an author, I can relate to that sentiment. I don't read many books for the same reason. I'm also not bothered about following trends or writing things that will sell. Like Yu-san, I want to do my own thing, regardless of whether or not it'll be popular.

What about asking to Sega's twitter? I mean not ask them to do S4 because we don't know what YS wants, maybe he doesn't wants Sega to be involved. Just ask "would you be interested in doing S4 with YS?". A few times thanks to asking Sega's twitter we got a bit of information about Yakuza a few months ago. We could try that.

Another meta question to this is lets say if Sega does get involved in Shenmue IV. Who's the lead company doing the development? YSNet? Sega AM2? RGGStudio?

While YSNet did a formidable job in Shenmue III with the budget they had. I won't lie and say I'd feel a great degree of comfort with the AM2 team developing the game on a larger scale.

Another meta question to this is lets say if Sega does get involved in Shenmue IV. Who's the lead company doing the development? YSNet? Sega AM2? RGGStudio?

While YSNet did a formidable job in Shenmue III with the budget they had. I won't lie and say I'd feel a great degree of comfort with the AM2 team developing the game on a larger scale.
Why not YSNet and AM2 together?

What about asking to Sega's twitter? I mean not ask them to do S4 because we don't know what YS wants, maybe he doesn't wants Sega to be involved. Just ask "would you be interested in doing S4 with YS?". A few times thanks to asking Sega's twitter we got a bit of information about Yakuza a few months ago. We could try that.

Shenmue 4 running under Kiwami 2's Dragon Engine would be amazing...

maybe

maybe not

We dont know what that engine is fully capable of. Its designed for Yakuza and nothing else.

And Yakuza while great, doesn't emphasis certain real time things that Shenmue needs which ends up being more taxing and resource expensive on the software and hardware.

There's also the fact it currently is locked to 30fps on current consoles. Which shows whatever it needs to be doing which it does already, is taxing on the resources it needs. I imagine this will no doubt improve for PS5 and others next gen but still.

It’d also require Ys Net to learn a new engine. I really don’t think Sega or RGG are going to be Ys Net’s saviors. RGG is busy with their own projects and I don’t think Nagoshi wants to get involved with Shenmue again based on the limited things I’ve seen him say about Shenmue.

. I really don’t think Sega or RGG are going to be Ys Net’s saviors. RGG is busy with their own projects and I don’t think Nagoshi wants to get involved with Shenmue again based on the limited things I’ve seen him say about Shenmue.

I kinda agree but that was also 20 years ago. Who knows now.
It should be noted he obviously holds Suzuki in high regard.
Nagoshi has never put one of his own games in any of his Yakuza titles as mini games. Only Suzuki's (Outrun, Hang On, Space Harrier, Virtua Fighter (2/5), etc)
Nagoshi certainly could have put in his games for Yakuza:
Daytona USA
Super Monkey Ball
Spikeout
Slashout
Spiker's Battle
Scud Race
Planet Harriers

but never did. Personally, I would love to have Spikeout and Spiker's Battle in a Yakuza game as well as Daytona USA and Scud Race

I’m not saying they’re not friends—no idea if they are— or that he doesn’t admire Yu Suzuki, but I just doubt he’s interested in being involved in Shenmue again. He’s certainly been in a position to push for it since he’s a Sega executive and I am guessing he hasn’t.

I’m not saying they’re not friends—no idea if they are— or that he doesn’t admire Yu Suzuki, but I just doubt he’s interested in being involved in Shenmue again. He’s certainly been in a position to push for it since he’s a Sega executive and I am guessing he hasn’t.

On the latter thats an assumption we cannot prove or disprove. We also dont know how much weight he has in his position to even do that. I mean Kojima was a 'Konami executive' yet he clearly was disposable in the eyes of the higher ups, showing he really had no pull people thought he did.

On the former, again we don't really know either way as well.
What I do know is that Yakuza series has incrementally been losing its sales appeal over the years and this latest one is a big gamble since it changes up the fighting engine dramatically.
It kinda feels like Yakuza 6 was the "Endgame" of Yakuza series, and Yakuza 7 is the "Spider-Man Far from Home" or 'questionable Phase 4' if you will.
And certainly games like Judgement, while offering newer ideas, still played it safe by reusing assets.
But the change in Y7, Judgement, FotNS, and Binary Domain of last gen (which I guess ultimately failed). was a sign Nagoshi kinda wanting to branch out and flex his creative muscles more, so we can never say no until he confirms it himself.

Last edited:
BD didn't fail, as sales (and trophy numbers at the time), were far from bad.

But, it wasn't the runaway success he was hoping for either, I feel; rarely will people play it today (if anyone is up to get some of the Online trophies, let me know :D), which shows that it didn't have a lasting effect, but it is undoubtedly a great game that was perhaps a bit too ambitious to be a hit (he is Yu Suzuki's second protégé, after all).

BD didn't fail, as sales (and trophy numbers at the time), were far from bad.

But, it wasn't the runaway success he was hoping for either, I feel; rarely will people play it today (if anyone is up to get some of the Online trophies, let me know :D), which shows that it didn't have a lasting effect, but it is undoubtedly a great game that was perhaps a bit too ambitious to be a hit (he is Yu Suzuki's second protégé, after all).

I remember when it was about to come out: i played its demo which came out the same time Mass Effect 3 demo came out.
I much preferred the gameplay of it over ME3, but we all know which game got railroaded by the other lol

I'm thinking of replaying it again sometime (especially since I got all the damn terminals but the trophy didn't pop; I suspect the guide I was using either missed one or in my haste, I neglected to get the VERY first one in the game), as I LOVE the gameplay and absolutely adore the plot; it is so well-done and the production values are superb for a mid-late PS3 title.

I want to see Nagoshi branch out and make another game like that; a different genre from Beat-'em-Up and make it a brand new story/universe.

Again, it worked quite well with BD, but if it indeed didn't sell as well as hoped, it could be the whole Shenmue sitch again (albeit a much cheaper game than 'mue was).

I'm thinking of replaying it again sometime (especially since I got all the damn terminals but the trophy didn't pop; I suspect the guide I was using either missed one or in my haste, I neglected to get the VERY first one in the game), as I LOVE the gameplay and absolutely adore the plot; it is so well-done and the production values are superb for a mid-late PS3 title.

I want to see Nagoshi branch out and make another game like that; a different genre from Beat-'em-Up and make it a brand new story/universe.

Again, it worked quite well with BD, but if it indeed didn't sell as well as hoped, it could be the whole Shenmue sitch again (albeit a much cheaper game than 'mue was).

Its odd to me as well how F Zero GX was so good, better than any of the in-house F-Zero's before it, yet Nintendo refused to let the series continue. Maybe they are more focused on Mario Kart? eh.

Shenmue 3 to this day was likely a horrifying prospect for SEGA. Considering how expensive the first game was to make at the time, how the sequel I dont think did much better commercially, and its not hard to figure out why they were apprehensive about the idea of ever continuing the series. Shenmue Online and that supposed city building game were also weird attempts at gauging interest in the series which didn't blow up like they wanted either.
In the meantime they had Yakuza, which while the first game was expensive to produce, they could take advantage of the fact that they could reuse so much aspects from game to game and churn them out in such a short period of time, with actors and tons of in game advertisements to do much of the heavy lifting. They dont need that much in terms of environments or attention to detail compared to the Shenmue games, or even a multi-dub either. Yakuza aiming for a slightly more adult audience also likely did wonders compared to Shenmue.
Shenmue sold 1.2 million copies, Yak uza sold 500k. It was all cost of making, plus of course catering to the lowest common denominator. shame be on them forever. That thing stank as a fighting game, stank as a sort of an RPG. It plain stank. I still have the DVD of that thing. Nothing on YouTube showed me it improved all that much in 6 games, visually, maybe.

Shenmue sold 1.2 million copies, Yak uza sold 500k. It was all cost of making, plus of course catering to the lowest common denominator. shame be on them forever. That thing stank as a fighting game, stank as a sort of an RPG. It plain stank. I still have the DVD of that thing. Nothing on YouTube showed me it improved all that much in 6 games, visually, maybe.

Yakuza is a great series.

You know what truly stank though?

VIRTUA QUEST

why the hell was THAT made??

Also this sucked:

Sega won't move a finger to do Shenmue IV. At least, the way we know. If by a miracle, they decide to greenlight it, they gonna try to make more appealing, really trying to modernize it and making profitable. Really don't know about that.

I'm sorry, I know you probably know this. But why are we speculating about a new kickstarter and not about Sega? Sega has money now, I think they can put money and workers to make Shenmue 4 maybe?

Why this is not an option?

And why Sega didn't do this with S3? I mean, I see Sega making games all the time now and probably earning a lot of money, we are not talking about the Sega completelly broken of 2003, right?
It's an option if they give him the money, but have no creative control. I don't want to hear about Yakuza team making Shenmue 4, god no. If certain members want to work UNDER Suzuki. If he still can use UE4 to save so much on bull crap coding, and make the game itself, cool with me. Any problems S3 had with faces being older style was lack of money, and a small team. Not lack of knowledge, where they did use facial animations they were OK. With more money and men he can do better. Locations and flora I thought in S3 were beautiful. He could plain reuse a lot of those, and it'd be stunning. I just don't want Shenmue to become the F word fest with very low quality fighting engine, but better faces. You don't need Shenmue for that. Those are dime a dozen.

Back