Wich games have been remotely able to surprise you as Shenmue did?

In chronological order:
  • Alex Kidd in Miracle World
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Pokemon Red
  • Resident Evil 1/2
  • Golden Sun
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Hotel Dusk
  • Yakuza 1/2
  • Fallout 3
  • Zelda: Breath of the Wild
But nothing comes close to Shenmue.

Shenmue is undeniably number 1 for me. But other games that left me with that "wow" factor are:

1.Shenmue
2.Mystical Ninja 64
3.Jet Grind Radio
4. Mario 64
5. StarFox 64

Mass effect 2.
Zelda Ocarina of time
Goldeneye
Heavy Rain
Yakuza 0
Metal gear solid from start to finish was insane.

Other games that had gread story telling are

Metal Gear Solid
Heavy Rain
Beyond 2 souls
Until Dawn
Hidden Agenda
Call of Duty 4
FF 8
FF 10
Resident evil 1 to 3 and Code Veronica
Life is Strange

but non of them suprised me as much as Shenmue.

As I have already mentioned played Shenmue for the first in early 2018 and it did the an unlikly thing to me.

Until i played Shenmue I did not like open world games. They were nice in theory but practically the open world in the open world games was quite lifeless,and the cast of characters was not very likable.

Then i played Shenmue (one of the first open world games or even the first I am not sure) and I was blown away.

The characters were great, the world was quite realistic and everything was almost perfect. Shenmue made me to like a genre I did not have much love or respect for.

I like story driven games in enclosed space normally Shenmue managed to combine the story driven aspect with the open world aspect more than any other open world game I tried to play so far. .

Last edited:
Monkey island - the humour, varied gameplay and scale were incredible. I still quote the swordfight insults today.

Another World - graphics were stunning, soundtrack and set pieces were unique and the co-op with npc was really novel. The blaster/shield mechanic was cool as well. Big cliffhanger like Shenmue as well.

Before it there were a bunch of games that gave me really strong feelings during the initial playthrough, mainly Sonic 2, Sonic CD, Daytona USA and Sonic Adventure.

After Shenmue there were still some greats but nothing close to the afformentioned games let alone the Shenmues.
Probably the most intense experience since then was Ninja Gaiden II. Such a blast to play this after so many hours and experience in NG Black.

Another World - graphics were stunning, soundtrack and set pieces were unique and the co-op with npc was really novel. The blaster/shield mechanic was cool as well. Big cliffhanger like Shenmue as well.

Truly amazing game for its time!

Quite a few of the games people have already mentioned for me, (Metal Gear/Half Life etc) one I'm surprised not to see is Minecraft. The game is so simple yet so good. I remember the first time playing it and losing hours just exploring and figuring out crafting recipes etc..

Quite a few of the games people have already mentioned for me, (Metal Gear/Half Life etc) one I'm surprised not to see is Minecraft. The game is so simple yet so good. I remember the first time playing it and losing hours just exploring and figuring out crafting recipes etc..
Used to play Minecraft loads with my friends back in 2011. There definitely was something magical feeling about it. Not touched it in years but I hear it's changed a huge amount since then.

Nothing comes close enough to even compare for me. As someone who's been gaming since the late 80s, I've had plenty of "wow" factor from games, but nothing like Shenmue...

To be honest, even Shenmue does not compare to the impact that Tetris can have.
(Nearly endless replay-ability and efficient simplicity.)
I think that Shenmue tried and mostly succeeded in having this replay-ability.
However, it takes more time to feel hocked, at first.

If we are talking about more complex games,
I will cite two classical games : Prince of Persia and Age of empires

Prince of Persia : (Or "Timed Parkour, the game")
Racing against the clock, while solving the puzzles of each level.
This is quite an organic game to play, with fun "death fails".
(Impaled : "Oops", mistimed going through these guillotine blades : Your exploration is cut short...)

[I liked that Jordan Mechner was speaking at Magic 2018 just before Yu Suzuki's first conference.
Seeing both back to back should has been a good video-game-fan memory.]

I think "PoP" is a really solid game,
that definitely connect to anyone that like platform games and "Metroidvania" games.

Age of empires (2) : (Or, "try and handle an expanding civilization in real time")
A game about securing territories and ressources.
It is amazing how complex a game can get, with just a tech tree to unlock as you see fit,
and handling borders with neighbor groups with the same interest in ressources and territories.
If you think about it, this is a computerized and more real-like version of the Go board game.

With a lot of well thought triggers and events, you also get access to well crafted in-game stories.
(These chapter-stories are combined into a linear campaign telling a grander tale.)

Playing against others on randomized maps, with lots of possible options.
The game also came with an extensive scenario editor to spend time on.
Minecraft has been mentioned, but "Aoe" also offered this ability to create your own worlds.

I think that Shenmue has common grounds with both PoP and Aoe, in that :
>The game offers you a lot of glimpses at how you can fail.
(And, people enjoy them, it seems.)
>You explore complex areas and try and find a way to go forward to the next step.
(Sometimes, fighting your way against worthy opponents.)
>Simple things of life induce great moments.
(And, you can simply explore and act with the world the way you want.)
>The games made great use of the technologies of the time.

In the end, all of these games left a "Wow" feeling on me,
because of the way, they run with simple concepts in a smart and engaging way.

(This is a long post, but keep the shift key pressed and you should not lose your grip.)

Leaving out the most famous and renowned titles, and trying to remember "less famous" games which seriously had me appreciate the very time being spent playing.
  • Cave Story (PC)
  • Breakdown (XBOX)
  • Blood Omen (PS1)
  • Vagrant Story (PS1)
  • God Hand (PS2)
The PS1 games were played in recent years for the first time, so they were not chosen by nostalgia :p

Ive been lucky enough to have played some amazing games in the 35 years Ive been gaming. But as far as surprises go, just to name a handful besides Shenmue....Skies Of Arcadia, pretty much all Metal Gear Solid Games but especially part 3, Resi 2, FF7, Radiant Silvergun, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Mario Oddessy and Zelda BOTW. That's the top of my head. These games I consider top tier for me.

Gotta be Horizon Zero Dawn, innovative story line, funny side quests, great details especially in the design of the robots and weapons, amazing graphics and some of the most entertaining game play/fight system. image.jpeg

I still have that in the cellophane wrapper after buying it at launch, and have no idea why I haven't played it yet.

Just busy I guess :hmm:

I still have that in the cellophane wrapper after buying it at launch, and have no idea why I haven't played it yet.

Just busy I guess :hmm:

Well, get busy! Chop chop! The expansion pack, Frozen Wilds, is worth a download too, you can add it now even, great area, good stories as well that fit the main line beautifully. Won't recommend going there before you hit lvl 30 though, it's a rougher set of bots to take down there...

Shenmue 1 and 2 is of course number 1

2) resident evil 1,2,3 code veronica and remake

3) metroid prime

4) metal gear solid

5) far cry 3

honourable mentions

deus ex human revolution

evil within 2

silent hill 2

I'd say metroid prime was the closest though to shenmue . I just enjoy playing resident evil more. I was blown away with metroid primes graphics ,exploration and music similar to how i was with shenmue.

Last edited:
Back