Will Ryo have the same fate as his father?

We all assume that Ryo will defeat Lan Di one way or another, by the end of the story. But who is to say another of Lan Di's men or children or even someone else entirely different does not come years later, even after Ryo has settled down and what not and attempt to fight him, even grievously wounding him and then the whole thing repeats itself in a never ending loop of revenge?

I cannot tell you how many times I imagined that exact scenario happening! :ROFLMAO: Maybe it turns out that Iwao murdered Zhao because he found out that Zhao murdered his father....

In my opinion no, i think Ryo will not kill Lan Di, he will probably forget about revenge, i remember that Yu Suzuki said something like this, that in on point of the story will have a stage called "The sadness" and that Ryo will forget about revenge, something like that.

Remember what Xiuying said for Ryo in Shenmue II

She said... "You still don't understand. Martial arts are used to protect people's lives. If you use your fists otherwise, you will walk on the path of evil, too!"

This is one of the reasons why i think Ryo will forget about revenge, i think that maybe Ryo will win a fight against Lan Di but Ryo will not kill him.

TBH with only 2 games left in the series I dont see how Ryo could beat Lan Di.
In Shenmue IV or V could have a timeskip, a timeskip where we will see Ryo much stronger, maybe he will train with a powerful master for two years and then this timeskip will occur, this is possible. 😊

In my opinion no, i think Ryo will not kill Lan Di, he will probably forget about revenge, i remember that Yu Suzuki said something like this, that in on point of the story will have a stage called "The sadness" and that Ryo will forget about revenge, something like that.

Remember what Xiuying said for Ryo in Shenmue II

She said... "You still don't understand. Martial arts are used to protect people's lives. If you use your fists otherwise, you will walk on the path of evil, too!"

This is one of the reasons why i think Ryo will forget about revenge, i think that maybe Ryo will win a fight against Lan Di but Ryo will not kill him.

After I had posed the question, I later that night came to the same conclusion. Ryo is not an evil man. I have not played the third game, but most people are claiming it is mostly just filler and no major story revelations at least not until the end, but nothing that would explain him turning evil. Revenge in itself is not evil per say, but if Lan Di was beaten and not out right killed, it would be murder. I see Ryo killing him in combat, but not stomping his face while he is on the ground or on his hand if Lan Di was hanging off a cliff.

Then again Lan Di may make it hard for him not to kill him. It is yet to be seen. Lan Di had the chance to obviously finish off Ryo, the son of the man he just killed, but he chose not too. I am sure he knew he would follow him. There are many king fu flicks that go into the subject of revenge, much like any Western or Japanese movie, etc.

But one kung fu movie in particular to me stands out. I do not know the name or all the details, I just know that either the young man's teacher or father was murdered (killed in combat) by this one guy. The guy allows him to live, either to get away or demands that he becomes skilled and then fights and kills him (the killer) in the end. Either for his life or to get revenge, he takes the offer and the killer actually trains him. Many years pass and the young man gets better.

Near the end of the movie, the original killer faces off against another killer. As I said I do not know all the details, but I believe both him and the young man were able to defeat this new threat. Then the "student" becomes the "teacher" with a role reversal and the same proposal is given to the one that initially killed his teacher or father to get better and then kill him (the young man) and that ends the movie.

I know the movie was heavy into weapon use. The initial killer used (modified?) sais. The new threat used two curved swords and for what ever reason, either out of respect for the man he had killed all those years ago or maybe something else, he refused to use them any more until the young man gave them back to him and at that point he (they) were able to defeat the new threat or assassin. If anyone knows the name of this movie, please reply. ^^!

Last edited:
And in saying all that, maybe there is more to Lan Di than what is on the surface. Even if he is after power and money, maybe there is a bigger threat unknown to us or a reason for Lan Di to kill the father. Maybe he was the son of the man Iwo killed all those years ago, or an apprentice, etc. Same reason he did not strike down Ryo when he had the chance. Who knows. For all we know Iwao had an evil streak to him as well, back in the day. I doubt it, mind you. But people change over time. Or maybe he was too brash and killed, instead of simply defeating. Or he was on a revenge course as well. We are only seeing what other people know of Iwao or Ryo's interactions/flash backs of him. There could be more (obviously) than what we know of to date.

I honestly don't see Ryo killing Lan Di

This! I mean, let's face it, Ryo couldn't even kill Chunyan when presented with the moment of "live or die" in that street fight in Kowloon. I really don't see Ryo killing Lan Di come the end. He just doesn't strike me as a killer.

Maybe Ryo has killed everyone that he has ever fought, they just die slowly or off screen, like from Fist of the North Star.

Holy crap! I meant to only show a clip, but discovered the full movie on YouTube. And I forgot how many great B movie actors are in this! :eek: I know what I am watching later. ^^!

Back