Will you ever go back to play Shenmue 1&2 again?

I would replay 2. I love 2 so I'm always replaying it maybe once every year and a half. I doubt I'll replay Shenmue I much since I've only fully replayed maybe 3 times. The third being the HD port and even then its a slog for me. There's just too much dead time in that game and I feel like there aren't enough interesting things to do on the side.

That's all true, but it's also the one where you can have the most interesting non-quest related dialogue with NPCs. I think on my next replay of the first game I will focus on talking to more NPCs in that dead time.

Sure. Yeah I did the same thing when I replayed on the HD port. Its a little better for story purposes but yeah the gameplay in that one in relation to II and III just isn't for me.

I was going to since shenmue 3 really riled up my love for it, but after just finishing shenmue 3 I just don't care anymore. The game has been a waste.

I would love to do the annual playthrough, but just seeing that I've had a full week to play and I've only mustered around 25 hours... I can't keep this up forever, life is too busy :(

ESPECIALLY since we have Ryu ga Gotoku 7 coming out next year, gaming sadly cannot take up as much time as it used to :(

Shenmue 3 is a downgrade since lack of budget.
I doubt we going to get a game the surpasses the first 2 games.
Even though Shenmue I is the superior game. Shenmue II was an improvement in almost anything but it sacrificed a Big area that made Shenmue I special. Shenmue I was more "Real" and alive. As well felt like a second home. While Shenmue II is was more about traveling so Characters were not as real and more generic. I am not talking about main characters but random NPC.
Of course is understandable why since game world was more huge.

Without a doubt. Those two games don't suddenly become worse because the third one has been released. They are still the best games I have ever played.

Without a doubt. Those two games don't suddenly become worse because the third one has been released. They are still the best games I have ever played.
No, the third game has made it all the more clear the first 2 are amazing.

I was going to since shenmue 3 really riled up my love for it, but after just finishing shenmue 3 I just don't care anymore. The game has been a waste.
can you elaborate more on why you feel it has been a waste?

Yep, it would be nice to play it 1, 2, then 3 so I'll be doing that at some point down the line. I mean don't get me wrong I did a 1 - 2 playthrough earlier this year to be ready for 3 but it will be interesting to really compare them back to back.

Plus I just love going back to old games that I love. I'm not in a rush for the next big new game because some of these new games can't even top the level of imagination present in the classics.

I would love to do the annual playthrough, but just seeing that I've had a full week to play and I've only mustered around 25 hours... I can't keep this up forever, life is too busy :(

ESPECIALLY since we have Ryu ga Gotoku 7 coming out next year, gaming sadly cannot take up as much time as it used to :(

Same, once Animal Crossing comes out next year I’ll be selling my soul to that game.

I'll be replaying all the games probably yearly until I die just like I have been.

Definitely. I was hoping that the PS4 versions would be the definitive ones, but the game’s just too glitchy and combat is too broken. Thankfully I still have my DC with the originals. The DC loading screens are really the biggest downside nowadays.

I got a GDEMU and the problems with the load are solved!!!

With GDEMU I have a SD Card only for Shenmue 1 and 2 and I can keep my original copies intact :)

Last edited:
The storyline was beyond terrible. Maybe I can't say it here, but the ending made the game go from 9/10 to 5/10. I telt like I wasted 40 hours.
Sorry!! Forgot I was in the non spoiler forum

Last edited:
I do not plan to ever re-play Shenmue 3 in its entirety.
Bailu Village is decent enough but the last locations just feel incomplete in terms of plot/character development so as soon as I finish Bailu I will cut the game right off.

Back